What Are You Listening To Now? 5.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Excellent - Big Big Train is one of the few acts that seems to get better with every release.

Hey Haulover:

I agree. I think part of the resurgence for them is the shared ownership between all the members. Wherein originally it was largely Andy Poole and Greg Spawton who wrote and produced (and played) most everything, now BBT has a lot of great talent including Nick D'Virglio from Spock's Beard and Tears for Fears, Rikard Sjoblom from Beardfish, and Dave Gregory from XTC. Of course their current singer, Andy Langdon is a huge part of the current feel as well.

'Where Do You Go To, My Lovely?' - Peter Sarstedt, who passed away today.

Oh no - that's a tragedy! I hope 2017 isn't going to be as bad as 2016 in respect of musicians passing away...

Hey Haulover:

I agree. I think part of the resurgence for them is the shared ownership between all the members. Wherein originally it was largely Andy Poole and Greg Spawton who wrote and produced (and played) most everything, now BBT has a lot of great talent including Nick D'Virglio from Spock's Beard and Tears for Fears, Rikard Sjoblom from Beardfish, and Dave Gregory from XTC. Of course their current singer, Andy Langdon is a huge part of the current feel as well.

Completely agree - and I actually know several of the people you've mentioned, as well as other members of their respective (and former) bands.

E.g. Nick - met him several times, and I know Neal Morse (formerly of Nick's former band Beard). Rikard - met him several times, and LOVE Beardfish. And Greg-S, of course, has been the backbone of BBT from the beginning. I've traded a few emails with him, but have not met him - though I was pretty friendly with a former BBT vocalist.

Yes I'm French -- Frenchy and the Punk

Les deux Guitares -- Opa Tsupa

Jazz Manouche -- Opa Tsupa

Last edited:
Oh no - that's a tragedy! I hope 2017 isn't going to be as bad as 2016 in respect of musicians passing away...

Completely agree - and I actually know several of the people you've mentioned, as well as other members of their respective (and former) bands.

E.g. Nick - met him several times, and I know Neal Morse (formerly of Nick's former band Beard). Rikard - met him several times, and LOVE Beardfish. And Greg-S, of course, has been the backbone of BBT from the beginning. I've traded a few emails with him, but have not met him - though I was pretty friendly with a former BBT vocalist.
Separated Out
Marillion

Morse is playing near me the end of the month - seriously considering it. Absolutely love the new album.

I've tweeted with Spawton - super nice guy.

Arriving Somewhere But Not Here

Porcupine Tree

Beautiful, beautiful haunting lyrics:

"Did you imagine that the last sound you hear before fading out was a song?"

Hey Chloe! Happy Sunday.

Thanks for that great tunes Litsters. Early day tomorrow so I'm off to bed. Sleep well when you go and peace, love and happiness always.

All excellent stuff:

Separated Out
Marillion

Morse is playing near me the end of the month - seriously considering it. Absolutely love the new album.

I've tweeted with Spawton - super nice guy.

I've met Steve Rothery several times, and like to think of Pete Trewavas as a friend.

However - I still need to get F.E.A.R., and the new Neal Morse. Sad to say, I'm way behind on my buying. :(

Transience

Steven Wilson

Lazarus

Porcupine Tree

Arriving Somewhere But Not Here

Porcupine Tree

Beautiful, beautiful haunting lyrics:

"Did you imagine that the last sound you hear before fading out was a song?"

Met Steven Wilson several times too - both, in the context of Porcupine Tree and when he was directing Opeth. My favorite album of his (or Porcupine Tree) isn't all that popular with most people I speak to ... "The Incident".

Last edited:
Which one? Both are originals, I think. Too specific to be covers.

Yeah, I'm way late to pick this up. Sorry. Been off the grid the last 48 hours for various reasons. Not by my choice, obviously.

"No Flex Zone" in it's original (and horrible) incarnation is by Rae Shrmmurd (or however these punks spell temselves). Made several people's "Worst of 2014" lists. The off-time chorus gave it away for me.

https://youtu.be/jQs7MXFoe70 (around 15:40)

Anyway, the Watsky/Karmin version was pretty epic. TBH, I only heard about Karmin from the same dude, he had her "Acapella" song on one of his lists. Going through some of her songs linked after the one you posted, I found some good stuff. Thanks for that.

Yeah, I'm way late to pick this up. Sorry. Been off the grid the last 48 hours for various reasons. Not by my choice, obviously.

"No Flex Zone" in it's original (and horrible) incarnation is by Rae Shrmmurd (or however these punks spell temselves). Made several people's "Worst of 2014" lists. The off-time chorus gave it away for me.

https://youtu.be/jQs7MXFoe70 (around 15:40)

Anyway, the Watsky/Karmin version was pretty epic. TBH, I only heard about Karmin from the same dude, he had her "Acapella" song on one of his lists. Going through some of her songs linked after the one you posted, I found some good stuff. Thanks for that.

You're welcome. I noticed you liked the rock recommendations I listed out, so I thought about throwing this your way.
I think I read somewhere that 'No Flex Zone' was a cover but I'd forgotten about it- but other than the chorus (and even that sounds waayyyy different than the original) the lyrics are pretty specific to Watsky and Karmin themselves. It's nice to hear a rap that actually shows off skills instead of an itiniary/inventory mashup (e.g.: 'got 10 Maseratis and banged twenty hoes')

I don't like modern hip-hop like Lil Wayne or Drake (two of the worst, IMHO) First, the lyrics are weak sauce, but the far bigger crime is the lack of power, both in the beats and delivery. Comparing Drake's "Started from the Bottom" to N.W.A.'s "Fuck the Police" is like night and day. For starters, the beats of the latter song want to make you jump up and wreck shit, and the words are like bullets - pow, pow pow, something the current breed of rappers can't get going. Hell, half of the time I can't discern what they are trying to tel me with all the close-lipped slurring.

Oh, inspiration: Now playing the soundtrack to the film "Judgement Night". You know, the one with Slayer & Ice-T, Run DMC & Living Colour and Cypress Hill & Sonic Youth. "Another Body Murdered" by Faith No More & Boo-Ya Tribe is still heavy as fuck.

öOoOoOoOoOo - Samen - Very good ... a great new find

Peter Stastedt - Best Of - RIP :(

Rodriguez - Cold Fact - A blast from my distant past!

Free Salamander Exhibit - Undestroyed - This is the latest reincarnation of what was once Sleepytime Gorilla Museum. Angry experimental and very avant-garde, genuine "Metal In Opposition". Killer album, but approach with caution - it ain't for everyone!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofEH7dDp8po

All excellent stuff:

I've met Steve Rothery several times, and like to think of Pete Trewavas as a friend.

Of all Marillion, Trewavas comes across the nicest though they all seem like decent people - I also am very fond of his work in Edison's Children and Transatlantic.

However - I still need to get F.E.A.R., and the new Neal Morse. Sad to say, I'm way behind on my buying. :(

I did pledge music for the F.E.A.R. album. Similitude of a Dream is one of the best of last year I feel.

Met Steven Wilson several times too - both, in the context of Porcupine Tree and when he was directing Opeth. My favorite album of his (or Porcupine Tree) isn't all that popular with most people I speak to ... "The Incident".

"The Incident" is a great album though if I had to pick a favorite I think it would be "Deadwing." But I have to admit I adore anything Porcupine Tree or Wilson has released. Burning Shed has got a fair share of my money for the odd bits from Porcupine Tree members together and apart. Very fond of Barbieri and H's work together as well. Music very seriously is my drug of choice and always has been.

Last edited:
Jupiter

Blackfield

Very excited for "Blackfield V" next month - loved what Alan Parsons did with Wilson on "The Raven Who Refused to Sing," looking forward to hear what he will do with both Wilson and Geffen on this.

Good night all - sleep well when you go and wake to peace, love and happiness.

Neil, a question: I got into Genesis with "Foxtrot", is it worthwhile to try and get "From Genesis..." and "Trespass"? Okay, to be honest, my first exposure was "Invisible Touch", but my first self-bought album was "Foxtrot", on the merits of the cover alone. It helped that "Watcher of the Skies" is beyond awesome :)

Neil, a question: I got into Genesis with "Foxtrot", is it worthwhile to try and get "From Genesis..." and "Trespass"? Okay, to be honest, my first exposure was "Invisible Touch", but my first self-bought album was "Foxtrot", on the merits of the cover alone. It helped that "Watcher of the Skies" is beyond awesome :)

Well of course, it's very much a "horses for courses" question, but my personal feeling is that the best way to get into Genesis would be "Selling England By The Pound," then "Nursery Cryme", and then "Foxtrot". I think those are their top 3. They're all available on YouTube, which (along with Bandcamp) has become my standard "try before you buy" medium. Then after those, perhaps try "The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway".

And with those, along with what you already have, you've covered their best work. I believe that once you've absorbed those 3 albums, you'll quickly see why cynics accuse Fish-era Marillion, as well as Arena (Mick Pointer's Marillion spin-off), and Pendragon, and IQ et al, of being Genesis clones wannabes.

My (somewhat cynical) position is that the later Genesis albums, particularly in the post-Gabriel era, are just good pop and don't have the edge or the creativity that defined the earlier albums.

And BTW - you gotta try this öOoOoOoOoOo - Samen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnfz_BJTjCw&feature=youtu.be

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back