Getting slammed by anonymous critics

laffalot

Really Experienced
Joined
Sep 5, 2008
Posts
108
I posted a new, 16 page story that just came online today called An Affair of the Heart, in the Loving Wives category. This was something that I've worked on for months and I feel that it is my best story yet. Now I'm no literary genius, and I'll never write a bestseller, but it is a little disheartening to see 5 anonymous comments pop up immediately (from obviously the same person), tearing apart my work and insulting me for having the audacity to try to create something new and unique that people may enjoy. This anonymous critic even admitted to not reading the whole story, just picking some random pages to scan in order to get the general idea in order to better trash it.

This was my eleventh story posted on Lit. and I've received lots of positive feedback on all the other stories. I'd like to think that my writing has improved from my first stories 5 years ago. Just for kicks, I checked some other new stories in the same category, and guess what, there was a bunch of anon. comments trashing those stories as well. In fact, the comments trashing those stories seemed to all be written by the same poster. I came to that conclusion because the comments were so much alike. So I'm guessing that some lonely, bored, pathetic loser has nothing better to do than sit around all day and trash a bunch of unpaid authors just because he or she can. Could be another author who wants to make his or her story look better by knocking everyone else's down.

I don't hang out here on the discussion board, and this is my first post here, so perhaps this is a recurring problem with other authors too, and maybe others have complained on here about it also. I'd like to hear from others who may have the same issue.

So anyway, I'll stop ranting and say, check out my work and see for yourself. Then let me know if I should continue to write and post stories or if I should never write again. Thanks for hearing me out.

http://www.literotica.com/s/an-affair-of-the-heart
 
Hey. :)

Let me just ask you this -- if I told you not to write, would you not write? I mean, you don't know me or anything. Why should you let the opinions of "lonely, bored, pathetic" anonymous losers determine whether you write or not?

I haven't read your story -- don't have time at the moment, and don't read in the LW category -- so I can't comment on the content, but I can tell you from observation that Loving Wives is the category that not only calls to trolls, it apparently has an irresistible gravitational pull for them. If you are going to post there, you have to have a thick skin, preferably made of something like titanium chain mail. Otherwise... it's going to be a slog.

If you want to write a story, do it. If you want to post it, do that too, but be aware that in any category, you'll need to take some criticism. You don't have to agree with it, you can delete it, but if you are allowing people to express their opinions of your work, be prepared for some to do it in a crappy way. Then you rise above that and keep on writing what you want to write.
 
Here's how it works:

The people who post stories in Loving Wives tend to be those who react indignantly when someone trashes their work. This is what trolls eat, so they spend a lot of time in LW. They don't care about the writing. All they want is a response, and it doesn't matter what kind. If your troll will sees this post, he'll know to hit everything you ever post and be sure of satisfaction.

There is nothing sensible or fair about Lit comments or scores. It's nice to get sweet comments and high scores, but neither reflect the quality of the work, any more than your anonymous troll.

When it comes to fighting trolls, indifference is the only effective weapon. Without your attention, he is nothing.
 
I have to say that posting a slug on the top of a story in Loving Wives telling the reader how wonderful your story is is just asking for it. But, as you say, the negative comments seem to be by one poster and you have positive comments also plus 5 story favorites already, so I guess I'd suggest you take the balanced view (and maybe next time not include slugs up front on how wonderful the story is. Let the reader decide that for her/himself). 16 Lit. pages is more than a bit long to expect readers to take at one time on a screen. Maybe do it in chapters next time.
 
Posting in 'Loving Wives' section seem to get attention from haters. Just block anonymous comments - I've never received a non-idiotic one yet, so it's not worth enabling them.
 
Anyone have any idea why the Loving Wives category is such a sensitive subject?
 
My understanding is that the problem stems from Literotica's lack of a "Cheating" section. As such, people who write stories about spicy extra-marital relations put them in LW, where they clash repeatedly with the readers who want to see spicy intra-marital relations.

But I don't know for certain because I don't touch the damn category with a ten-foot pole.
 
Nor I. Just seems weird out of all the categories, that one gets the most hate.
 
I recently removed a critical post from anonymous only because it was simply griping for the sake of griping. Since I do both the writing and editing I don't mind criticism, if done correctly it can help one write better, but simply whining because they can is the line I draw.

It was the first time I had to do that and hopefully, but sadly most likely not, my last.
 
loving wives is famous for that.

I read 'getting slammed by anonymous' and got a little excited...:eek:
 
yes being a new one on here i realise there is lots of bollocks

just recently i had some girl behaving histerically blames me for 'not reading the words just looking at the pics' etc etc

all story writers have ample talent and i for one am not going to disrespect that i love stories and after all we are all here for ass and i for one am going to be more of a regular contributor but need to get to grips with it all firstly

stories get me hard pics finish things off nicely sorry if that sounds rude:cattail:
 
Got a hunch

Anyone have any idea why the Loving Wives category is such a sensitive subject?

From what I've read, I would suspect the critics that are so nasty have been cuckolded and their relationships have been anything but successful. I would guess that they are conservative and very conventional. This has led to resentment, especially since there are some people that can play outside of their relationship and still love each other.

But, my experience is limited. I've only been married once, for forty-two years. We opened our marriage, both of us have had affairs, a couple of threesomes and explored swinging. We love each other more now than ever and we have fun remembering some of our piccadillies, some are funny, some are sad and most of them are major turn ons.

Be honest, be truthful, communicate & be respectful with one another!

Oops, didn't mean to get so long winded. Take care.
 
Yeah I've had people email me telling me how they write stories where they kill other people's characters die because they have been unwillingly cuckolded etc.

There needs to be a 'General' category or something...
 
My understanding is that the problem stems from Literotica's lack of a "Cheating" section. As such, people who write stories about spicy extra-marital relations put them in LW, where they clash repeatedly with the readers who want to see spicy intra-marital relations.

But I don't know for certain because I don't touch the damn category with a ten-foot pole.

Yes I think you are right. Intra marital stories are boring as all hell. I love the cheating and the cuckold stories. I have noticed too that there are a lot of negative comments towards these stories. I have often wondered who these anonymous posters are and why they leave these comments. I have a theory. A man reads a LW story and becomes aroused. He wacks off. He feels guilty because he could never admit that watching his wife with another man is a turn on. He questions his manhood and he hates himself for it. He leaves a negative comment. It could be women as well. If you want to meet a bunch of cockblocking women just hang out in the How Too forum.

My advice is to get over it and keep writing. Just maybe the person that left the negative comment loved it the most. The taboo thrill of watching your wife with another man is tough to admit.
 
So anyway, I'll stop ranting and say, check out my work and see for yourself. Then let me know if I should continue to write and post stories or if I should never write again. Thanks for hearing me out.

I didn't read the whole thing because 16 pages is a lot and LW generally isn't my cup of tea. But FWIW:

- LW has a handful of obsessives who have a bee in their bonnet about adultery. It might even be just one guy; if you don't actually read the stories you're flaming, that frees up a lot of time for spamming comments. Best to ignore and/or delete those guys.
- Disregarding the outright trolls, you still got several positive comments from people who evidently read the whole thing (plus some constructive criticism). Holding readers' attention for 16 Lit pages is no small feat.
- Some grammar/spelling issues e.g. "Your married?" should be "You're married?". I've seen far worse, but it would be worth working on these.
 
I've got to eat some crow here and take my lumps. What I didn't realize when I posted the story, was that there was some important text missing. I used italics to show text messages, and the italics didn't come through. I got flamed right away, and it wasn't until some very helpful people commented that something was missing, that I found out the problem. I re-submitted an edited version, so the problem should be taken care of. Thanks for all the advice and creative criticism.
 
I've got to eat some crow here and take my lumps. What I didn't realize when I posted the story, was that there was some important text missing. I used italics to show text messages, and the italics didn't come through. I got flamed right away, and it wasn't until some very helpful people commented that something was missing, that I found out the problem. I re-submitted an edited version, so the problem should be taken care of. Thanks for all the advice and creative criticism.

don't get your hopes up. i haven't read your piece yet, but if it involves cheating the anon troll will probably still bite. that's what happens in Loving Wives.

penn lady and pilot and bronze have it right.

don't be dispirited by the comments in that category. it's just the way it is.
 
LW is the black hole which sucks in most of the idiot trolls on the site. Try to find another category in which you can submit your stories.

Go into your account options and turn off anonymous feedback.
 
That category is an issue

The problem was explained to me a while back. The Loving Wives category has three "sets" of readers. One wants actual loving wives; another wants cheating and games & the third wants extremes, ie. cuckolding.

Now, there may not be exactly a third of readers in each category, but there are clearly enough so that most stories get trashed by the other two groups.

I initially started writing in that category, but now I'll add a light BDSM, voyeur, or fetish scene just to avoid the category. My stories that are not in the Loving Wives category tend to rate higher than those in it, though I will say that over time, the LW scores do come up. It's just the initial wave that tends to be so negative.
 
Alluring Escort London

I have read your thread regarding Getting slammed by anonymous critics. It is really a discouraging and disturbing element in having such a kind of critic,and such anonymous critics are to be definitely blocked.Here, i say that Escort London these days are more pressed for time than ever before, hence the rise in concierge services and personal shoppers, they come into your life to help you do the things that you don’t want to do
 
Sounds like a phisher

I have read your thread regarding Getting slammed by anonymous critics. It is really a discouraging and disturbing element in having such a kind of critic,and such anonymous critics are to be definitely blocked.Here, i say that Escort London these days are more pressed for time than ever before, hence the rise in concierge services and personal shoppers, they come into your life to help you do the things that you don’t want to do

This post sounds like someone is phishing. Be aware!!
 
Back
Top