The Future!

jeninifer

Really Really Experienced
This morning, I'm pulling music down from the media server and putting it on a USB and SD card for my car.

I'm no Luddite, but rather am amazed at the change in technology in my adult life.

I easily remember when the transition occurred in vehicles from cassette deck to CD player. I went to the stereo store (do those even exist now) and secured a 10-disc changer that was installed in the back of my SUV and the discs were controlled by the in dash unit. I thought I was the coolest bitch in town.

My first desktop PC was a huge Sony VAIO and it cost me $5,000. The hard drive was an UNHEARD of 2.5GB. Now, here I sit with a tiny USB drive that holds over 10 times that. I'm actually having trouble selecting from our 600GB of tunes..

What technology have you seen change in your lifetime that just blows your mind?

BTW, I'm still waiting on a kitchen that cooks meals for me at the push of a button.

Omg I am so old, how about rotary dial phone kids?

I can almost hear my knees creaking

Sat nav and mobile internet - truly amazing

Isn't it funny how annoyed we get when we don't have Internet access? We were talking about this at work this week, visiting customers and they don't have a guest WIFI.

Omg I am so old, how about rotary dial phone kids?

I can almost hear my knees creaking

I remember these, but aside from cell phones, there's not been a grand amount of change in telephones.

My parents still have a rotary phone on their bar downstairs.

We had an early generation cordless phone and I remember having to pull up the huge antenna.

I remember these, but aside from cell phones, there's not been a grand amount of change in telephones.

My parents still have a rotary phone on their bar downstairs.

We had an early generation cordless phone and I remember having to pull up the huge antenna.

My first cell phone was in a bag that slid all over the dashboard

My first cell phone was in a bag that slid all over the dashboard

I recently bought a bag phone at an auction just for it's novelty value -- it looked like something carried by soldiers on the battlefield in WWII!

I remember those.

I had one of the first ones that Nokia made. It was huge.

These memories are so fun.

I never had an 8 track tape player but I had friends who had them, so frustrating not to be able to fast forward!

I recently bought a bag phone at an auction just for it's novelty value -- it looked like something carried by soldiers on the battlefield in WWII!

Back then, we road warriors felt like soldiers lol, not really

I remember things like 45 and 33 speed records, the 8 track tapes with that click sound where the tape was spliced together. First computer was an apple IIE... how far technology has come

I had a 45 with Cum On Feel The Noiz and I would play it over and over on our big Hi Fi in the basement.

I was a fucking little kid, too, like younger than 10.

My dad HATED me listening to that song. I remember when he'd come home from work and I'd race to the record player to stop it.

I had a 45 with Cum On Feel The Noiz and I would play it over and over on our big Hi Fi in the basement.

I was a fucking little kid, too, like younger than 10.

My dad HATED me listening to that song. I remember when he'd come home from work and I'd race to the record player to stop it.

We used to play my sister's Three Dog Night 33's, and inna-Gadda-Davida on vinyl

I had an collections of 45 records - Dave Clark 5, Beetles, Rolling Stones, etc

I remember the first computer in our family...

It was a Texas Instruments pocket calculator and it could do basic math AND calculate both the squares and square roots of any nine digit number.

I remember my pops using a slide rule (slide rule, look it up) to figure logarithms.

Having an entire music library in digital format is still pretty mind blowing.

My older sister had a real hi-tech music system:
It had a phonograph, 8-track, cassette AND FM/AM radio WITH speakers. You could either plug it in to the wall OR it would run off like 12 D-cell batteries.

It was the size of a large brief case. The top had the speakers which could be unhinged and separated to get the full stereophonic, hi-fidelity sound.

I also remember music being recorded in quadraphonic sound (surround-sound 1.0).

I find it interesting and a bit funny talking to a younger person about what was out when I was younger and to find out they have no idea or reference to what I'm talking about... records, original home computers, 8 track tapes, reel to reel, etc...

nice

You talk of changes boy could I tell you of many. I guess being old you see a lot like no PC 45 33 1/3 78 for music as just a few.

My older sister had a real hi-tech music system:
It had a phonograph, 8-track, cassette AND FM/AM radio WITH speakers. You could either plug it in to the wall OR it would run off like 12 D-cell batteries.

It was the size of a large brief case. The top had the speakers which could be unhinged and separated to get the full stereophonic, hi-fidelity sound.

I also remember music being recorded in quadraphonic sound (surround-sound 1.0).

That sounds awesome and it reminds me of those big stereo consoles. We had one that looked like a piece of heirloom furniture, but the doors were covered in gold speaker mesh and the entire thing opened up into a big stereo system.

We used it as a credenza long after it stopped working.

Having an entire music library in digital format is still pretty mind blowing.

It really is, isn't it?

Aside from very few that are near and dear to the heart, we have no collection of CD's or DVD's.

We have a media server set up with all of the TV's so that we can watch it anywhere, too.

How about TV's with no remotes. The battle between VH'S and BETA max. Those huge old Digital home video cameras that you had to plug into a unit and carry around the recording tape. Oh and the home gaming console of the future the ATARI. God those graphics were just the best. :D

i remember when there were only 2 tv channels in this country
i remember watching disney films on vcr and listening to cassettes as a kid
i remember looking up things in encyclopedias, because there was no internet.
i remember early mobile phones with those greenish-grey displays and people would say "imagine, in a few years we'll probably have proper colour displays and videotelephony" and that was something i could not grasp

Some of my childhood was in Geneva very near the airport. I well remember us standing on the lawn open mouthed seeing planes without propellers taking off and landing!

Back