Fibromyalgia help

Some alternative health options:

To preface, I don't have fibromyalgia, but I had similar symptoms a few years ago. I do have a friend who is very intuitive and I did what she told me to do and it worked for me. Since then, I've also learned a few other things that I do when I have weird physical things come up.

The friend's advice (and I don't know if this would work for everyone, but it worked within 2 weeks for me):

1. Vitamin D- lots of it-- more than anything, she told me it would help me to absorb nutrients from foods (my hair was also falling out at the time)

2. protein shakes-- although I ate a lot of protein, I guess I needed more. . . .i bought soy, whey, and hemp. . ..i liked the soy the best. . .just mixed with fruit and greek yogurt into a smoothie. Use whatever you like. . .trust your intuition

3. reiki treatments

Since then, I've used EFT with Brad Yates (just google him on youtube ) and I pick a subject and focus on it for 30 days. Just for fun. Sounds wacky, but I get almost immediate results. Also, just take 10 minutes with www.calm.com. And/or take 10 mins to meditate. Other stuff, too. You can PM if interested. Exercise is definitely helpful with endorphins, as everyone knows. . . .

Best of luck, we're all sending you good vibes.

If it was me, I'd get something for the acute pain, and then start asking yourself some tough questions and consider making some changes. Be open to the idea that it can go away completely!
 
Last edited:
I've got fibro as well, diagnosed 5 years ago, and cannot tolerate anything that messes with my seratonin or norepinephrine levels directly. Which shoots out most of the first-third line of meds doctors want to try.

I also adapt ridiculously quickly to medications, so even if I do find one or two that help, if I take them daily then in four to six months I might as well be taking tick-tacks.

What I've found that does help is regular massage from someone who knows how to work with fibro patients. It's not going to feel 'good' like a massage did before but if it can loosen things up, it helps overall.

Vitamin deficiencies are a big deal with fibromyalgia. I started taking a prenatal vitamin before I got pregnant with my first son and noticed a difference in pain and energy levels once I was established on it. I've stayed on it, even after I finished weaning him to formula at 3.5 months because my Vit D levels were critically low and the super-D meds weren't safe to breastfeed with. (Before I get grief, my son is now 19 months old and HUGE, over 33" tall and healthy, so he obviously got what he needed.)

I do have Percocet (Oxycodone/Acetaminophen) for break through pain. Basically when I can't stand it anymore, I have something to take and go lay down. If I hurt bad enough that I need it, then I have no business doing anything else and that includes things like driving or caring for my kid.

As for meds that worked, I found etolodac (Lodine) and baclofen taken together to help a lot with muscle spasms and general pain. Really wish I hadn't adapted to them because it was a large difference.

Another coping change I've made is changing the types of shoes I wear. I adore my MBT's and am fond of certain types of the Sketchers Shape ups. I was at the point of using a cane because just walking hurt that much when someone suggested I try the MBT's.

Sorry this is kind of all over the place. I'm 40 weeks pregnant with my second son and my brain is scattered.
 
I just want to add that if you're on any medication for depression ( not uncommon when you're in constant pain that most people can't comprehend ) you need to be very careful. Pain meds and anti-depressants can be a serious bad mix.

Use the divided pill containers or keep a med journal, and do it religiously. You may never need it, but if that combo starts affecting your memory or wakefulness, you need to have a reminder system in place that's become second nature.
 
Wow, Lit and health talk. It doesn't get any better then this. To me a very interesting conversation/post. The reason being, is because I was given the label MS and in some weird ways it helped me to understand myself and in turn how to help others. Somebody on here was right about Fibromyalgia being related to RA, MS, IBS, Krohns, Hashitmotos, Celiac, Etc, etc. They have a lot in common. They are all labels. They are all autoimmune diseases. For me the medical establishment told me "were sorry, there is nothing we can do for you". Since I knew that was ridiculous, I ended up around alternative care, that didn't pay as much attention to labels. To them things like MS, Fibromyalgia etc, was the end result of the symptoms that had become chronic and the conditions usually worsened with time. To the alternative crowd, these labels are that, labels. They don't give any reflection of the health of the host. I've learned that through testing you can begin to understand whats happening inside of some one. We tend to think that we will feel what is happening, but the truth is, we can't feel disbysois or inflammation. These are things that happen at a cellular level. In fact this is where the root of almost all diseases lies. We have to remember that we are in a disease system that really goes into action when a label is given. Most of the things in this thread and from a lot of people are about symptoms, or something that is currently discomforting them. I am in complete support of any temporary relief. With the underlying goal that it is temporary or what I call intelligent allopathy. But it doesn't address the under lying cause. That can be seen in the immune system, digestive system, detoxification system, and steriodal hormone system. When these system are in homeostasis, most of the symptoms that define diseases, go away. Excactly how? I would never be so arrogant. The human body is much smarter then anyone here. But how it happens doesn't change what to do. Our bodies have an onslaught of toxins from our food, water, air, life in general, that its no wonder that more and more labels are being produced. I think there are over 100 autoimmune labels, so that means that for over 100 diseases, people hear, theres not much we can do or theres nothing we can do. Sorry I know I rambled a little there.

Want some proof. Look up Terry Wahls and see how she (a Dr) had to get away from her profession in order to get healthy. I think Mark Sisson took himself off of Statins for high blood pressure (another symptom). Sean Croxton took himself back from Weight (symptom), and Jack Kruse MD, reversed and cured Hashimotos with his innteligence and devergence from the main stream. So, in my world, it has to be the case that it is possible for there to be a return to health. I hope there is in your world too. You or anyone are welcome to talk to me through PM. I know for some, privacy is better. Hope this wasn't too much and I do like the support here to help with what you are currently experiencing, but I hope I've been able to give you a different way to look at your health. Besides, who wouldn't support Beach Mamma?
 
For the pain of Fibromyagia the first line of treatment is Lyrica (Pregabalin) or Neurontin (Gabapentin), certain anti-depressants like cymbalta and Elavil (Amitriptyline) may also help. Any internist, FP or even PA would be able to presribe these medications and they work far better than the Narcotics and are non addictive.
 
Wow! I haven't been online in a while, and information just exploded! Thanks to all of you who took the time to share your experiences and wealth of knowledge. For the record, Erika is correct. As an RN, I can't consume THC in any shape, form, or factor - even if it's legal and I have a prescription for it. I've heard many stories about how much it does help, so in a way, I'm sorry that I can't see if it helps my symptoms.

I guess I'm still in the flare up that inspired this thread. I had an incredibly painful, bothersome episode a few nights ago that lasted about 20 minutes. I truly felt like I was under attack, and I guess in a way I was. It would've been easier to tell you what didn't hurt.

I did get a script for Norco 5/235 for a rescue medication. I've only needed it twice; I only use it when the pain is sneaking up on unbearable. I don't want it to get to the unbearable stage; the key is to stay ahead of the pain without overdoing the strong meds.

Thanks again for all the information, and please, continue to share your information and experiences. I'll try not to disappear so long this time.
 
My wife was diagnosed with Fibro. She has been in remission for several years.
The first thing she used was otc cough syrup that contained guaifenesin. I have seen reports on it both pro and con. I don't care what any of them say. I can only report on what the result was for us.
It helped to a point. It's not the healthiest thing so she was always looking for something that was a better overall health choice. However, while she was taking it a couple times a day she had noticeable improvements in overall fibro health.
The thing that has pushed it into remission and has been for probably 12 yrs or so is an extremely high lvl of health. The problem she ran into was that she needed to build up her body but her body had so much pain that it wouldn't work to work out.
She started on a very high quality meal replacement shake, high quality cold pressed vitamin and a few other anti-oxidant capsules. She had results in a couple days and her good health progressed remarkably from there. She still takes the shakes and supplements but it is a small price to pay. It is so far from our day to day life it's like it doesn't exist anymore.
This is a beatable thing. I'm not one of those people that is completely natural nor am I someone who believes that the pharmaceutical companies know their head from their asses. I am an opportunist. If it works then it works and go at it.
 
I'm sorry that you're in pain.


So they say that the diagnosis is fibro...

Modern medicine is set up so that there is always some diagnosis. After all the tests fail or come back negative, there is always a catch-all diagnosis, so the docs don't look bad. It is a diagnosis made by excluding everything else.

Fibromyalgia is a diagnosis of exclusion. ( Sure, there are some who will claim that it has its own diagnostic criteria, but if you look closely, one of those is always "the patient does not have a disorder that would otherwise explain the pain..." ) It is what docs say when they have run out of all other diagnosis and they have to write something on your chart.
They can't write "I haven't a fucking clue why the patient is in pain.", even if it is the truth. So they call it fibro.

But rest assured, it is a diagnosis that admits that they don't have a fucking clue.

So you may have to take care of yourself.

In some cases, this is not possible. Most of us don't have the home model MRI or CAT scanner yet. And you won't find radioactive tracers at your local 7-11.

But there are things that you can control, and tests that you can perform. The biggest of these is diet. Try going gluten-free. Better yet, try a low-FODMAP diet. It can't hurt, and and it might help.
 
Last edited:
Erika is correct. As an RN, I can't consume THC in any shape, form, or factor
Would you consider taking a six month break from nursing? Find a light, low pressure job where using legal medical marijuana won't be an issue. It comes down to what price you put on health.
 
I'll be completely honest; I didn't believe in fibromyalgia either - until that became the only possible answer to what's been going on. We sort of backed into my diagnosis. I had problems for the past six months that 3 hospitalizations and numerous ER visits couldn't define or fix. I saw a very dear friend of mine who also happens to be a physician, and we started talking about what's happened, the diagnoses that don't quite seem to fit, and the treatments that aren't helping. He didn't rule anything else at first; he looked at me and asked if it could possibly be fibro. I was like.....nah....that isn't even real. LOL He ordered the tests that would rule everything else out - the other auto-immune diseases, thyroid, MS, etc. By then, he'd already started me on one med that had some success in treating fibro. It didn't help until he raised the dose. I still have to do a brain MRI to make sure we aren't dealing with early stages of MS. He believes that my problem started because I'd been taking an anti-depressant about a year ago - then stopped when I didn't need it anymore. I weaned myself off at the direction of my physician, but that can still be an issue. As my friend put it, the nerve receptors "like" the SSRI, and when it isn't there, they want it back - so they complain. Loudly. So far, this seems to be the most plausible explanation.

For the record, I do have a very stressful job - mentally, physically, and emotionally stressful. I wouldn't consider my life stressful in the least - outside the job. I have the perfect life now. I couldn't be happier, and frankly, I don't consider every day drama to be "stress" like so many seem to do.

My MD friend knew something was wrong with me. He's been my best friend for over a dozen years. He's seen me feeling pretty crummy and still bulldoze my way through a shift at work. After the medicine started working and he saw me at work, he told me that I looked like my old self again and that when I was in his office, he was truly concerned about me. I looked and felt like a zombie. The problem isn't just pain; that would be easy. I'd just bulldoze my way through that. The problem is exhaustion from lack of sleep, not being able to think clearly and problem solve, GI problems that I won't discuss in such classy company (lol), and at times, not even being able to walk or support my own weight.

And yes, Rainy, the board of nursing clearly frowns on any form of drug/alcohol use that could impair a nurse. If we get caught for DUI (even if it doesn't affect our work performance), we have to self-report to the BON. I've seen nurses lose their nursing licenses for stupid mistakes like having a blood alcohol barely above the legal limit. Once it's legalized here, it could be something as simple as having to take a drug test because of an on the job injury then the screen coming back positive for THC. That could put our license at risk, and I can't afford to pay off my student loans if I have to go back to a near-minimum wage pay scale. Hell, I can't afford to pay them NOW. :D
 
I was diagnosed with severe progressive Sjogren's at 19 which has progressed into pretty life-debilitating levels at this point. (I just turned 30). I'm dealing with the pain as best as I can but I strongly suspect I have developed secondary Fibro and will be visiting my doctor soon for testing.

My therapy for pain management is frequent hot baths, Icy Hot massages, meditation, fish oil, prenatal vitamins, Gabbaprentin Therapy, and a daily dose of indirect sunlight for at least 20 minutes.

Stress, fatigue, vitamin deficiencies, and hormonal changes from my menstrual cycle all affect my tolerance for pain and how well I can get through the day but I'm also very close to breaking down and asking for narcotic relief. I don't -want- to, because I already have bowel and libido trouble which I know will be exasperated by narcotics, but the quality of my life has become so poor I believe I no longer have a choice.

Staying hydrated and getting frequent Icy Hot massages after a hot bath helps with mild to moderate muscle aches. Try professional massage and maybe think about yoga/meditation. It helps me, it might help you! :heart:

ETA: Medical Cannabis is a lifesaver for people like us. Is THC the problem or is Cannabis the problem? You don't necessarily have to smoke it to get relief...there are many forms of ingestion that can afford you a higher quality life. My husband and I are moving in 2 years to a state with legal medical marijuana to pursue that avenue of pain relief for me.
 
Last edited:
Ahhhh.. A cannabis discussion. Let me help you out, this is kinda my expertise. (Licensed caregiver) what you are looking for is a strain that is high in cbd, not necessarily thc. Jack, chocolope, Hawaiian snow, and most cheese strains are great for pain. If you are in area where you can legally grow your own cannabis, I suggest you check out these guys: http://cbdcrew.org. Attitude seeds is the best place to purchase your beans
 
Fake disease... Get a good psychologist.

Ya know fuck star you ain't a star you are a fucking black hole that sucks, your ignorant opinion adds nothing and you suck everything including what ever light there is available. I very seldom attack an individual poster, but shit pits like you need to do a single fucking thing and that is to suck death into your lungs and fucking die. You are nothing, but a shit sucking worthless user of useful air.

Get a good euthanasiast, better yet get a bad one and die the horrible death you so richly deserve.
 
Last edited:
I love that I upset you so much. You made my night. I am so going to read that while I jerk off later.
 
BeachMomma, I apologize to you for my previous post on this thread, I am sorry.

My ex was diagnosed with Lupus several years ago, as you know Lupus can manifest itself in several different ways, one of the ways she felt was diagnosed as Fibromyalgia, her physician proscribed a Prednisone starter pack for her. The starter pack was a series of tabs from 5mg up to 30 mg taken daily and then tapering down to nothing over about 6 or so days over all. I am sorry I do not remember exactly, it has been a long time ago. Anyway she got almost instant relief with the first dose. Yes, prednisone can be difficult to get off of once your body becomes used to it, but if it gives you the relief needed there may be analogs that may be just as good if not better and even be easier to get off of if that becomes necessary.

In my uneducated idea something that gives you adequate relief may be a beginning to determine how to get you back to normal.

Good luck and my hope you are quickly able to get this figured out and are able to return to your usual self..

Mike
 
http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/fibromyalgia/in-depth/fibromyalgia/art-20048097

http://www.webmd.com/fibromyalgia/news/20081103/fibromyalgia-a-real-disease-study-shows

Look, CS...you and I need to have a little chat.

This thread is important. It was made by a person who has been diagnosed by an actual trained, certified doctor, who has been experiencing severe life-crushing symptoms, and who is genuinely seeking help. A person, a human being...who is in genuine pain, every single day.

Coming in here and trolling is not appropriate. It's disrespectful to the OP, and to everyone in here who is attempting to be empathic and compassionate.

You are a human being, and so is everyone else that posted here. Use your heart, show a smidgen of empathy, and stop trying to turn this thread into your personal sideshow. You can start a thread of your own for that, you don't have to use this one.

And as a matter of fact, until you finish med school yourself, you have absolutely no right to pretend like you know anything about Fibro.
 
Now kids, as entertaining as the sidebar was, let's stay on topic and ignore any naysayers. Hell, as I admitted earlier, I didn't believe fibro was a legitimate illness myself - and I'm a trained medical professional! It made a believer out of me tho!

Scoundrel, you might have hit on something. I've been taking steroids like crazy the past couple of years - a few times for bronchitis or pneumonia, and a few times for diverticulitis. I wonder if going off the steroids exacerbated my symptoms? Apparently weaning myself off of Zoloft began the symptoms. And the steroids you described sound like a Medrol dose pack. It's usually 4mg - take 7 the first day and cut back one every day.

SD, I've considered both professional massage and chiropractic treatments. I hesitate to use them because I very frequently have skin sensitivity. A simple touch can result in excruciating pain. I can't sleep with my feet under a sheet because the touch is so painful. My boyfriend asks if it's ok before he even touches my hand. That's *sad.*

I swear by hydrotherapy and heat therapy. I was getting in the pool/hot tub daily, but it's too damned hot to even get in the pool now. (I'm in southwest FL.) When the Sx get out of control, I retreat to a hot bath, and if I can stand it, my boyfriend will give me a massage.

CS is correct; the medicinal version of marijuana is CBD, but I believe it still shows up on a drug screen. I'll have to check into that. I used to have to administer Marinol frequently as a nurse, but I was nervous about doing so because until recently, federal laws still superceded state laws. About a year ago, the federal government made a statement that they would honor state laws regarding medical marijuana. Now if we could just get the state BONs on board. Pun not intended.

I made an executive decision this morning. I'm going to try the guaifenesin. It's easy, over the counter, and minimal side effects. Hell, even if it works via placebo effect, I'm good with that!
 
My mother suffers with osteoarthritis and the only thing that has really brought her any relief is meloxicam. She does have to take breaks from it due to skin rashes at times. It worked well for several years, now she is needing something more and the Dr gives her vicodin.... As if that does anything, only makes her sleepy. She's now in a scary limbo of not having adequate pain management and no good prospects in sight... It's a rotten situation. But perhaps the meloxicam may be of help for you too.
 
My mother suffers with osteoarthritis and the only thing that has really brought her any relief is meloxicam. She does have to take breaks from it due to skin rashes at times. It worked well for several years, now she is needing something more and the Dr gives her vicodin.... As if that does anything, only makes her sleepy. She's now in a scary limbo of not having adequate pain management and no good prospects in sight... It's a rotten situation. But perhaps the meloxicam may be of help for you too.
Where is her primary pain? Meloxicam is a Non-Steroidal Anti-inflammatory Drug (NSAID), and that's the first line of defense against OA. Ask her if she's tried tramadol. It works as well as (or better than) Vicodin, but it's non-narcotic. Depending on where she's hurting, she may be a candidate for surgery (total knee or hip replacement) or steroid injections (many joints and the spine).
 
In typical male fashion I have been thinking about your pain from a problem solving mind-set rather than a place of emotional comfort.

In my defense, a hug is contra-indicated for your condition.

I do not know, and don't want to imagine the way the nerves are (misfiring? warning of damage?) but I was considering it from a standpoint of avoiding the contact that I gather leads to pain impulses.

Would any of the treatments, supplies and or materials used to shield burn-victims be useful?

I think this is back to the previous bubble wrap idea.

I also had this idle thought about suspending you in heavy saline in an isolation tank for respite. Kind of like the actually therapeutic baths, but no contact with the bottom and and a chance to zone out the brain as receiver for the signals. If you wanta go all dead-sea salt and new age-y crystals in the process, more better good.



Otherwise I got nothing but prayer, pain-pills and placebos.
 
Last edited:
Where is her primary pain? Meloxicam is a Non-Steroidal Anti-inflammatory Drug (NSAID), and that's the first line of defense against OA. Ask her if she's tried tramadol. It works as well as (or better than) Vicodin, but it's non-narcotic. Depending on where she's hurting, she may be a candidate for surgery (total knee or hip replacement) or steroid injections (many joints and the spine).



Hip, lower back and neck with severe migraine stemming from the damage to the vertebrae. Tramadol might be an option but perhaps too light weight given the extreme levels of pain, I will suggest it though because you never know.

One thing I must mention, non chemical methods like EFT or hypnosis. I know the mind is capable of amazing things; I used hypnosis for childbirth with my last baby and the result was beyond my expectations - a completely pain free labor. If the mind can disregard that kind of pain, I believe it can work for other pain as well.
 
If I remembered correctly from my training days, some rheumatologists may consider looking into stress/anxiety/psychologic triggers if pain management isn't working. Some colorectal surgeons may even consider Irritable Bowel Syndrome or Crohns Disease as the pathology... something worth looking into...

Good luck and wish you nothing but the best, fibro is notorious to treat and manage.
 
Recent promising studies have shown both neurological and vascular involvement which may lead to more effective treatments. I survive on a mix of Zoloft, Vicodin, Valium and a good stiff drink now and then. I am VERY careful to limit my use if the narcs and the benzo but I have to be able to move. Regular exercise helps a lot but new exercise and intensity has to be added slowly. Keep trying til you find the right thing. Smoking pot helps some people too if medical is available where you live.
 
My wife was diagnosed with fibromyalgia approx. 12 years ago, and has had a miserable time with it. Our hot tub, and periodic massages with an experienced therapist provides regular relief. Acupuncture is also very effective.
 
Back
Top