Voting oddity (low votes removed?)

joeyjax

Experienced
My first ever story has been hovering for weeks now at just barely under 4 stars (like 3.97 or something like that) with 60 votes. I noticed today that it has inched over 4, which was cool. But I noticed the vote count was now 58, down 2.

I kinda find it hard to picture two people who previously voted low (like 1 or 2 stars) came back to find my story so they could remove their vote or change their vote to be higher. Which makes me think maybe there's some 'cleanup process' that runs occasionally and purges suspect votes or something(?).

Any thoughts or am I just overthinking things (which is entirely possible. :))

Any thoughts or am I just overthinking things (which is entirely possible. :))

The Valentine's Day contest ended this morning, and it was accompanies by sweeps to remove votes deemed invalid by the administrators. Those sweeps usually catch other stories that aren't in the contest. I had votes removed from five or six stories. The scores usually rise, but some can go up and others down.

The Valentine's Day contest ended this morning, and it was accompanies by sweeps to remove votes deemed invalid by the administrators. Those sweeps usually catch other stories that aren't in the contest. I had votes removed from five or six stories. The scores usually rise, but some can go up and others down.

The last time there was a thread about sweeps the consensus was that no one was sure how the administrators made their decisions.

Just curious, anyone want to speculate further about how sweeps operate?

The last time there was a thread about sweeps the consensus was that no one was sure how the administrators made their decisions.

Just curious, anyone want to speculate further about how sweeps operate?

I have plenty of ideas on how it works but the sweeps are like you buying a home security system and then posting the schematics on the front lawn. Not a good thing.

Laurel has specifically asked that we don't do that.

Secrecy is bad security. Still, we're talking about crowds of mostly barely literate basement dwellers, so, it does make some limited sense, and I will honor it.

Just say that obviously, some of the data analytical tools gathers about each visit (every site worth anything does it; some go as far as recording heatmaps of mouse cursor movements over the page, although mostly only as part of limited time/scope research) are being stored with each vote. Than, a script can discover patterns and use that for decision making. But I guess, you're all knowing at least that munch already, so I'm just stating the obvious.

Last edited:
I withdraw the question.

I've long noted that anonymity results in dark behavior in various corners of the Internet. Although, some people perceived as trolls may not think of themselves that way; they're doing what seems normal to them.

I withdraw the question.

I've long noted that anonymity results in dark behavior in various corners of the Internet. Although, some people perceived as trolls may not think of themselves that way; they're doing what seems normal to them.

Does that group also include suicide bombers, mass murder shooters, and other people with small dicks? :D

I think anonymity can be a mechanism for self-preservation on a Web site like this. Most of the account names here aren't any less anonymous, functionally, than the word "anonymous" or use of that word are.

I think anonymity can be a mechanism for self-preservation on a Web site like this. Most of the account names here aren't any less anonymous, functionally, than the word "anonymous" or use of that word are.

Ayup.

Also, in my experience with other parts of the Internet, there are plenty of people prepared to be assholes under their real names.

As far as sweeps go, a year or two ago I had a feedback letter, from Anon of course, complaining that I had deleted his VOTE! He went on to say that I could delete his vote as often as I wanted and he would continue to come back with another alias and vote me another '1'.

At the time I had no idea that 'the sweep' existed. But now I realize that someone was watching the voting progress of a story more closely than I was.

Never heard from him again, but wow, for a while there I actually had an enemy. I had received complaints about removing comments before - once when Lit removed it before I saw it - but never before or since a complaint about removing a vote.

Of course the sad individual might have thought that his comment was a vote?

As for removing comments, I've only ever removed those that were threats against my person.

Back