Any hardcore Game of Thrones/Song of Ice and Fire fans?

I'm stacking up all the episodes to see over the summer. I have heard good things about the ongoing season.

As for the books, they have a proud place on my Kindle. Just love the multiple subplots and the characters you can't love or hate. Eagerly awaiting The Winds of Winter.

Jon's parentage is one of the most discussed points about the books. I don't want to provide pseudo-spoilers, but there is a lot of subtle evidence in the books (anything to do with Robert's Rebellion and all dreams/prophecies) that has been parsed by fans, resulting in a dominant theory that is extremely convincing. Check out the forums on westeros.org if you are really curious. Or IM me.

I personally believe Jon IS Neds son, as for his part....Perhaps stannis is not R'hollor reborn even Melisandre Knows something is not quite right that maybe Jon fits that role better.

Let's not forget that all the Stark children including the bastard Jon are Wargs none of Roberts Bastards have shown or even been hinted at having that trait.

I thought that Jon Snow was Ned's sister's child by Robert Baratheon, but that was only a passing impression. I could see Ned protecting Jon and lying about it being his son because Jon is his blood relative. Aren't the Baratheon male heirs being systematically assassinated? I'm new to GOT...only started reading the books after I saw the HBO series. Glad to know there are others who love the series...:D

I thought that Jon Snow was Ned's sister's child by Robert Baratheon, but that was only a passing impression. I could see Ned protecting Jon and lying about it being his son because Jon is his blood relative. Aren't the Baratheon male heirs being systematically assassinated? I'm new to GOT...only started reading the books after I saw the HBO series. Glad to know there are others who love the series...:D

I'm unsure why people question Jobs parentage, I know we still are not 100% certain who his mother is but I honestly thought in the first book it was quite plan that Ned was his father. If Robert is/was his father why spend chapters of him prying and asking Ned who Jobs mother was. Is it a possibility that we are all trying to read more into this than there is???

I suggest getting through the books quickly as season three is bringing in characters not seen until book 5. I think that might ruin some of your reading.

I don't think it was just male children, although it may have been. My impression was that all of Robert Baratheon's illegitimate children were killed/hunted, regardless of gender.

Enjoy the books. :)

I'm unsure why people question Jobs parentage, I know we still are not 100% certain who his mother is but I honestly thought in the first book it was quite plan that Ned was his father. If Robert is/was his father why spend chapters of him prying and asking Ned who Jobs mother was. Is it a possibility that we are all trying to read more into this than there is???

I suggest getting through the books quickly as season three is bringing in characters not seen until book 5. I think that might ruin some of your reading.

I have read all five books, but I can't cite specifics of why I thought something was awry with the story about Jon Snow. Some of it stemmed from the fact that it just seemed out of character for Ned, or the way he was portrayed. There were just other things sprinkled throughout that put me in doubt of it. Wish I could be more specific.

I don't know if there's such a hurry in reading the books. I've read that season three will only cover half of book three, and I've been wondering how they'll handle books four and five. I can see those demanding a total of four seasons. Which might give GRRM time enough to write the next book. ;)

I don't think it was just male children, although it may have been. My impression was that all of Robert Baratheon's illegitimate children were killed/hunted, regardless of gender.

Enjoy the books. :)

I have read all five books, but I can't cite specifics of why I thought something was awry with the story about Jon Snow. Some of it stemmed from the fact that it just seemed out of character for Ned, or the way he was portrayed. There were just other things sprinkled throughout that put me in doubt of it. Wish I could be more specific.

I don't know if there's such a hurry in reading the books. I've read that season three will only cover half of book three, and I've been wondering how they'll handle books four and five. I can see those demanding a total of four seasons. Which might give GRRM time enough to write the next book. ;)

The problem I have with season three is that they have already brought Theon back in, that's really early if this season is half of book three then he should not be back for at least three more seasons(book 5), all I can think of is that they are really going to truncate the story lines, which might not be a bad thing once they get to book four! Plenty there they can miss out say about 90% of it :)
Guess what my least favourite book is lol

The problem I have with season three is that they have already brought Theon back in, that's really early if this season is half of book three then he should not be back for at least three more seasons(book 5), all I can think of is that they are really going to truncate the story lines, which might not be a bad thing once they get to book four! Plenty there they can miss out say about 90% of it :)
Guess what my least favourite book is lol

They have brought Theon back in, but perhaps it's not so much truncating stories in his case as it is giving us a little more info. He could, after all, disappear again. I have a bad habit, after reading books on a binge, of forgetting many details. So I can't recall if Theon simply disappeared for a bit in the books, or if this bit about him being tortured and rescued (at least for now) was in there.

The perils of borrowing books from the library.

Seems most people didn't like book four, but I didn't mind it. There were still interesting things going on.

My thoughts -- and this is based on nothing in particular -- is that when it comes to books four and five, they will be able to combine stuff on the TV series as GRRM did not in the books. There's no reason to have a television season or two without characters like Tyrion, Danaerys and Arya. And the story might flow better that way.

This is the tip of the iceberg, but the basic reasons for questioning Jon's parentage:

1) Out of character for Ned.

2) Everyone assumes different mothers and Ned never corrects or clarifies.

3) In his internal narration, Ned never calls Jon his son. He instead says "he is my blood".

4) lots of clues as to his parentage. Read carefully with regard to any flashback to events around Robert's rebellion, and any prophecy/ dream sequence. In particular, read Ned's flashbacks during the first book.

As for Theon, so far they are showing things that are consistent with his flashbacks in book 5. No surprise that they needed to give the actor some work to do and not just tell him "see you in season six".

One of the most significant changes is the replacement of Jeyne Westerling with Talisa, eliminating the entire Westerling clan and all their juicy subplots.

As for Theon, so far they are showing things that are consistent with his flashbacks in book 5. No surprise that they needed to give the actor some work to do and not just tell him "see you in season six".

One of the most significant changes is the replacement of Jeyne Westerling with Talisa, eliminating the entire Westerling clan and all their juicy subplots.

In the books we just assumed that theon was dead for a while, and then

GASP OMG HE'S STILL ALIVE BUT NOW HE'S REEK

In the books he is such a sympathetic and pitiful character.

BTW -- any votes for a separate GoT thread where spoilers can be included, and so those who don't want them would know to avoid it?

This is the tip of the iceberg, but the basic reasons for questioning Jon's parentage:

1) Out of character for Ned.

2) Everyone assumes different mothers and Ned never corrects or clarifies.

3) In his internal narration, Ned never calls Jon his son. He instead says "he is my blood".

4) lots of clues as to his parentage. Read carefully with regard to any flashback to events around Robert's rebellion, and any prophecy/ dream sequence. In particular, read Ned's flashbacks during the first book.

Damn you you're going to make me want to re-read the whole series now and I have a backlog already to catch up on.

But...
1. The Ned of now probably would not sleep around but at the time of the rebellion...why not?

2. He never clarifies because it is no one else's business he even rebukes the King when he asks...if Robert is Jons father why ask?

3. Caetlyn despises Jon and never calls him son, years of that along with guilt could easily make Ned slip in to just calling him "my blood" rather than son.

4. Will have to re-read the rebellions...so you have me there.

Damn you you're going to make me want to re-read the whole series now and I have a backlog already to catch up on.

But...
1. The Ned of now probably would not sleep around but at the time of the rebellion...why not?

2. He never clarifies because it is no one else's business he even rebukes the King when he asks...if Robert is Jons father why ask?

3. Caetlyn despises Jon and never calls him son, years of that along with guilt could easily make Ned slip in to just calling him "my blood" rather than son.

4. Will have to re-read the rebellions...so you have me there.

1,2,3 aren't definitive, but they prompt the reader that something may be up, which is where #4 comes into play. Re-read Ned's flashbacks and then Jojen Reed's recounting to Bran of Howland Reed's tale of the tournament at Harrenhal.

I am not a subscriber to the belief that Jon's father is Robert. There would have been no reason to keep that a secret from Robert.

These books significantly reward re-reading. Also, if you have not done so, find the Dunk and Egg stories (hedge knight, sworn sword, mystery knight), set ~80 years prior. They are excellent, with very tight stories that tie into SOIAF in surprising ways.

1,2,3 aren't definitive, but they prompt the reader that something may be up, which is where #4 comes into play. Re-read Ned's flashbacks and then Jojen Reed's recounting to Bran of Howland Reed's tale of the tournament at Harrenhal.

I am not a subscriber to the belief that Jon's father is Robert. There would have been no reason to keep that a secret from Robert.

These books significantly reward re-reading. Also, if you have not done so, find the Dunk and Egg stories (hedge knight, sworn sword, mystery knight), set ~80 years prior. They are excellent, with very tight stories that tie into SOIAF in surprising ways.

Your not helping me by giving me more to read my poor kindle will have a melt down!

I meant the show, but GRRM needs to hurry up with our Khaleeshi too!

Part of me thinks she won't see beyond book 6 just something in my gut as odd as it may sound. The great saviour if westeros crushed on the rocks and stormy seas by Euron perhaps.

I'm looking forward to Arya's future adventures as well.

Meanwhile, for the economics geeks, an opposing view of the wealth of House Tyrell and House Lannister.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox..._the_king_owing_you_money_spells_trouble.html

Enjoyed the article. Thank you for posting it. Like I said, I'm a late comer to GOT so I have a lot of catching up to do.

So has Littlefinger been dealing in derivatives...insuring his losses, slicing up his debts and repackaging them with AAA or triple dragon ratings?;)

Last edited:

Yeah I'm not too keen on that change, it really seems jarring to me perhaps because of the books you get comfortable with how things are then they cut, change and replace in the show. To me Jeyne was very demure, very shy and quiet (cannot blame rob for wanting the exact opposite of his mother)

I think with the whole reek thing in the book it is a'what the fuck!?!' Kind of moment so that's lost in the show no slow anguished torture and breaking of the man it feels a little rushed. I can understand wanting to keep the guy in a job but maybe even introduce him towards the end of season 3. They killed peter off in Fringe for a good chunk that didn't hurt anyone.

Back