[SUGGESTION] Lit on Patreon

LizisReady

Experimental
So posting this here since there isn't a forum for suggestions for the site.

I can't be the only person who would like to be able to provide direct support for the site through something like Patreon.

I think the benefits would be mainly that we could maybe get some updates to the site. The new Dashboard is great and the rest of the site works fine but it could do with a overhaul in terms of looks.

I also imagine that having some more money to work with would allow them to speed up the review process for new chapters.

So that is my suggestion, I won't go into the full list of things I think they could improve since that is not the point of this. I just understand that it can be hard to justify spending time on something if you are not making a huge amount of money from it and it pretty much works anyway. So I think having something like Patreon as a extra revenue stream could really help.

You're just whistling into the wind here. The Web site managers don't usually read here. No one else here has a thing to do with Web site programming. Their (and probably yours, considering how suggestions are taken in by Literotica) time would be better spent in writing. Sorry, but this isn't a user-responsive site.

Guess I will post it there as well then but I would be surprised if they are completely unwilling to consider user suggestions.

Last edited by a moderator:
You should read Patreon's community guidelines before you continue with this. A few categories would have to go, including the most popular.

Not really, unless they have changed them since the last time I checked I am pretty sure Lit would get past fine. I am guessing you are talking about the non-con stuff but there are plenty of people who make a lot of money on patreon making stuff that falls under the vague definition that they use over there. Patreon are pretty lax and i would only see them having a problem with it if the Lit page was actively promoting a story called something like "Rapey Joe Rapes Literally Everyone in Extremely Graphic Detail"

I'm not suggesting they drop all other revenue streams rather having more as a extra source.

Patreon have recently announced a change in their policies - there's been loads of worried authors tweeting about it.

http://www.openlettertopatreon.com/

That open letter is probably the best explanation of why the management here is less responsive to change that some would like. Patreon seems to be losing control of their OWN creation.

Democracy is a great way to give voice to all factions with an interest in the outcome. That isn't the goal of business. The goal of business is to maximize "profit" (money, satisfaction, whatever) for one interest--the owners.

rj

Patreon have recently announced a change in their policies - there's been loads of worried authors tweeting about it.

http://www.openlettertopatreon.com/

They also responded to it, I got it as a email so I don't know if it is public or not.

Right now it seems like they have decided to take the approach of "Don't stick your head above the trench and it won't get shot off". Also the only sticking points I can see right now are around incest and "Sexual Violence".

But they are pretty damn vague on it and I don't know if they would have a problem with fiction that is about Incest.

I think the easiest way to avoid drawing to it and if the Patreon was explicitly for the running costs of the site or for the chat and they didn't actively promote those kinds of stories then I think it would be fine.

They also responded to it, I got it as a email so I don't know if it is public or not.

Right now it seems like they have decided to take the approach of "Don't stick your head above the trench and it won't get shot off". Also the only sticking points I can see right now are around incest and "Sexual Violence".

But they are pretty damn vague on it and I don't know if they would have a problem with fiction that is about Incest.

I think the easiest way to avoid drawing to it and if the Patreon was explicitly for the running costs of the site or for the chat and they didn't actively promote those kinds of stories then I think it would be fine.

Who is the "they" here?

Literotica is pretty big compared to most of the artists on Patreon. At any given time there are hundreds of active authors here, and the archive holds hundreds of thousands of stories. Incest is one of the site's biggest draws if not the biggest.

I'm not sure that an "avoid drawing attention to it" strategy is viable here.

This thread on the General Board is worrying:

http://forum.literotica.com/showthread.php?t=1464385

asstr was one of the places for stories that were unsuitable for Literotica. It has had difficulties for most of 2017. They are stated to be technical - server and back-up failure followed by migration to different hardware.

BUT if any site was to fall foul of new puritanism, asstr was an obvious target.

asstr was one of the places for stories that were unsuitable for Literotica. It has had difficulties for most of 2017. They are stated to be technical - server and back-up failure followed by migration to different hardware.

BUT if any site was to fall foul of new puritanism, asstr was an obvious target.

Not just down, it says there DNS isn't there so does that mean the whole domain has been zapped, it's not just a server or software down thing? They seem to have been going down the tubes for a while now

I wouldn't be surprised if cash flow was an issue. An archive copy of their donations page mentions hosting and bandwidth costs of $900/month. Looking at different snapshots of that page, it seems they lost credit card payments some time in 2012 (PayPal many years before that) so they were totally reliant on people sending cheques/money orders/cash through the post.

They have a list of recent donations. There are several months in there where the donations look to fall well short of that $900; granted there are also times when they get much more, but overall it looks a bit precarious to me, especially if they had extra costs like new hardware.

Which goes back to puritanism. It's much easier to find hosting for adult content than it is to secure payment services, and in this day and age being unable to take donations via credit card is a serious handicap.

Literotica is pretty big compared to most of the artists on Patreon. At any given time there are hundreds of active authors here, and the archive holds hundreds of thousands of stories. Incest is one of the site's biggest draws if not the biggest.

I'm not sure that an "avoid drawing attention to it" strategy is viable here.

I think you are underestimating just how big some of the people on Patreon are and what they are able to get away with.

Again I am not talking about switching the funding for the site over to that completely, instead I think it should be used as a way to fund specific improvements.

Hell even if they didn't go with Patreon I think having donation drives for improvements to the site would be a great idea.

Back