Submission Calls

annaswirls said:
You definately SHOULD! Which one did you send that they responded to try again? that is very cool and a very good sign you are on to something that they like. I think I am putting them on the "later, much later" category, I read their new issue and though, hmm, this place and I do not match at all" :)

Did you write back when you got the rejection? I got a rejection from 3rd Muse and wrote my thank you letter back to the editor at which time he/she wrote, by the way, your Metronome almost made it in, consider submitting it again.

I would have never known! It really really helps to write back. You get a real person on the line...

~Jenn

I sent them, the first time, Contemplating Bowls, Tattoos and Bridges and To water a garden, Lewdly. They told me my stuff made it to the final cut, but just "didnt quite fit the issue" at that time. I dont remember what i sent the second time, But I am pretty sure I thanked them both times they rejected me. des that make me a pain slut? :D

dont worry, I never give up on anything, or anyone. :rose: thanks a million for your encouragement. xoxox

julie

yeah, keep sending them stuff, definately! That is really awesome, J, to have made it to the final cut. Really awesome. !!!

and thank YOU for your encouragement, right from the start :)

Maria2394 said:
I sent them, the first time, Contemplating Bowls, Tattoos and Bridges and To water a garden, Lewdly. They told me my stuff made it to the final cut, but just "didnt quite fit the issue" at that time. I dont remember what i sent the second time, But I am pretty sure I thanked them both times they rejected me. des that make me a pain slut? :D

dont worry, I never give up on anything, or anyone. :rose: thanks a million for your encouragement. xoxox

julie

*Wicked Alice Poetry Journal

I really like this site. Very basic, focused on the poetry without a lot of extras.... and they finally accepted one of my poems :)
~J

Wicked Alice Poetry Journal

Deadline for Spring Issue: February 15, 2006

Wicked Alice is a women-centered poetry journal, dedicated to publishing quality work, by both sexes, depicting and exploring the female experience.

New issues online are released in April, July, September, and December. The annual print edition includes selected works published during the previous year online.

Please include all submissions in the body of the e-mail (no attachments please). Send 3-5 poems, any length. While we will not accept greeting card verse, both rhymed and free-verse are equally welcome. Poetry reviews and criticism, any length, are also welcome.

Please send all submissions to wickedalicepoetry@lycos.com

We will choose only the best of what we receive for Wicked Alice. The number of pieces will vary from issue to issue. Simultaneous submissions are acceptable, provided you let us know if the piece is accepted elsewhere. While we cannot pay our writers, we will do our best to provide a quality berth for their work. Expect a reply within 2-3 months.

I remember someone telling me about a fountain....

The February Poetry News is now available on line from Beltway Poetry Quarterly. Along with our regular listings of new publications, calls for entries, workshops, special events, and readings in the greater DC area taking place throughout the month, a special feature this month is the listing of Summer Writers Workshops in the Mid-Atlantic--for those of you ready to plan your summer now.
http://washingtonart.com/beltway/ponews.html

Also, a final reminder that February 15 is the deadline for submitting poems to Beltway Poetry Quarterly for the DC Place Poems issue.

Beltway Poetry Quarterly seeks poems for a special on-line anthology celebrating Washington DC. Poems must mention a specific location in the city by name, for example, a street, neighborhood, park, building, or monument. Poets living anywhere in the US are eligible; previously published poems are acceptible if copyright has reverted to the author (author is responsible for obtaining permissions). Poets previously featured in the journal are eligible. There are no entry fees. Jurors: Kim Roberts, editor of Beltway Poetry Quarterly, and author of The Wishbone Galaxy (Washington Writers Publishing House) and Andrea Carter Brown, managing editor of the Emily Dickinson Review, faculty member at Pomona College, and author of The Disheveled Bed (CavanKerry Press). Send up to 4 poems of any length (maximum 10 pages total) by email only. Include a one-paragraph bio. Poems must be sent in the body of the email; attachments will not be opened. Deadline: February 15, 2005. Send to beltwaypoetryquarterly@gmail.com

http://washingtonart.com/beltway/about.html

For those of you in the greater Baltimore area

and I know of two of you :)

You are invited to attend on February 12th, 2006 at 4pm...

C. E. Laine will read at the PoetryInBaltimore 2nd Sunday Series on February 12th, 2006, held at the Minas Gallery. Reading begins at 4 pm.

Brought To You By: Minas Gallery
815 W 36th Street
(The Avenue in Hampden),
Baltimore, MD [map]
Phone: 410-732-4258

Description:

Poet C. E. Laine is author of Allegory, The Weight Of Dust, and Postcards From A Summer Girl. She is a 2-time Pushcart Prize Nominee and editor of Little Poem Press, VLQ (Verse Libre Quarterly), and Erosha. She spends her spare time (when there is any) flying around in old warbirds. For more information: http://www.celaine.com/.

Olu Butterfly is a West African ballet dancer, performance poet, and creator of The Revenge of Dandelions. She is a leader in Baltimore’s soul scene and a champion of independent art everywhere. For more information: http://www.olubutterfly.com

Julie Fisher, founder of PoetryinBaltimore.com, hosts. An open reading follows.

Thanks Ang! I got to these readings two Sundays a month :) If anyone is interested, it is a great venue-- upstairs art studio, downstairs vintage clothing etc... C.E.Laine is a good one to hear, glad to see she is making it up to Baltimore. Thanks for posting this!

:)

Angeline said:
and I know of two of you :)PoetryinBaltimore.com, hosts. An open reading follows. [/COLOR]

flyguy69 said:
Great resource, Anna. Thanks.

A New Year's resolution of mine was to actually submit some things this year!

Hey Link, how's it goin' with those submissions? :kiss: :kiss:

hey flybaby,
YOU know if YOU dont submit, theres people out there gonna do it for you, and to you and with YOUR own stuff!!!

Australopithicus, hunkus supremus :D :kiss:

I thought I had put up a link here to a list of print journals that take electronic submissions, but apparently I did not :( If anyone has it I would be very grateful if you could get it to me here- thanks so much.

J

Wisteria: A Journal of Haiku, Senryu & Tanka from the
founder of Gin Bender Poetry Review is accepting
submissions for its first issue. The new print journal
will be laser printed in a small size format with card
stock cover.

Complete details and guidelines can be found at:
http://wistaria.blogspot.com

We look forward to your haiku, senryu, and tanka.

T.A. Thompson
Founder
Gin Bender Poetry Review

www.ginbender.com

I thought this was so cool wish I had something to send

Seeking poets who might have an extra copy of their chapbook or book they'd
be willing to donate to a lucky student. Each week, during my 8-week
undergraduate poetry class, there will be a drawing to see who wins the book
a poet has been generous enough to donate. The winner will be responsible
for reading your book and selecting a favorite poem to read to the class the
following week. If you like, contact information and book price should be
included so that others in the class can buy your book. Students will be
STRONGLY encouraged to buy the books of poets who, after all, were kind
enough to contribute a book to their education. If you're willing, please
send your book (autographed would be nice) and contact and price details to:

Jeff Winke

Upper Iowa University - Milwaukee Center

6610 W. Greenfield Ave.

West Allis, WI 53214

Thanks,

Jeff Winke

jeff@jeffwinke.com

414-699-3244

Print Journal Rankings

Very cool resource, breaks down some print journals, ranks them in order of difficulty getting in (of course, all depends on what they are looking for, this is not a science)

SeattleRain said:
Print Journal Rankings

Very cool resource, breaks down some print journals, ranks them in order of difficulty getting in (of course, all depends on what they are looking for, this is not a science)
Woo hoo! Wisconsin Review here I come!

(it's actually published by one of the State schools, Oshkosh, I think)

SeattleRain said:
Print Journal Rankings

whats even better than the ranking, the breakdown, is having the list in one place:)

I was actually working on a sub for Paris review; since I looked at the list, maybe I will consider the SC review( which is ranked a mere 2), which I never heard of, lol. Flyguy, Wisconsin Review is a one, silly butt :p Clean Sheets is probably harder than the two I pawnted out and we'z bof in der

http://www.Words-Myth.com new online journal that looks like it is off to a great start. Here is an announcement from the editor:

Words-Myth #2 is due for release in April. Already there have been some beautiful, evocative, inspiring contributions. There is still another month in which I can receive more of the same. Don't hide your talent under your pillow. Share it! Send 1 to five of the best poems you have ever created to info@words-myth.com
Thanks muchly,
Graham Burchell (editor)

Triplopia

I think I might try this. Light. Hmm. I bet Tzara could do a good one with Snell's Law.

I googled Optics for the hell of it for inspiration, I think I will do sun dogs or ice halos. I had no idea they existed, well, I have seen them, just never knew...

Homework: write a poem about light.

Triplopia is an independent e-zine in search of quality writing from poets and writers from around the globe. Our current issue can be viewed at www.triplopia.org , and we are at present compiling material for our Spring issue, the theme of which is ‘Light.’ We invite poets to submit their work (3-5 poems, please) for consideration for this issue. The deadline for our upcoming issue is March 1st, and we have received many quality submissions already.

We would also like to extend an invitation to writers to submit ideas for feature articles and cultural reviews. We are always on the lookout for commentary on cultural issues, and we welcome your ideas. We are especially interested in articles that comment upon the present state of the arts of poetry and writing, but we will consider ideas on a broad range of topics, including political commentary, movie and music reviews, or well-written creative prose. If you have an idea for such an article, please do feel welcome to approach us with it, even if it is in the early stages, as we are quite willing to work closely with writers in developing a piece that shows promise.

As we look forward to our fifth year online, we would like to extend a warm welcome to writers from a broad range of backgrounds to join our undertaking. Submission guidelines may be found under the heading of ‘Submit’ on our main page, and may be directed to submissions@triplopia.org .

Thank you for your time in reading this, and we look forward to seeing your work.

Sincerely,

Tara Elliott, Gene Justice, Paul Sonntag and Jenny Burdge
Editors, Triplopia.

Reading soon for the spring issue of Mannequin Envy.

Consider submitting, Lit poets.

Do it here.

:rose: Patrick

Please also consider sending Flash Fiction. The selection this quarter has been grim. I have not announced this yet, but we are also interested in website reviews (of poetry/artsy type journals-- preferably ones without a big name yet but that are tres cool and up and coming etc)
:kiss:

TheRainMan said:
Reading soon for the spring issue of Mannequin Envy.

Consider submitting, Lit poets.

Do it here.

:rose: Patrick

I thought this was interesting, especially with all of the writing about writing in the lit blog section. Something to consider: (they want poetry as well of course:) )

e-mail submissions now being read until April 1st for the Spring Issue (May 2006).

Centrifugal Eye

Seeking submissions:

First-person essays about aspects of your "Writing Life" wanted -- 250-500 words on such topics as: how writing relates to your job, when you were first published, your writing habits, what inspires you, or who encouraged you to write, etc. Keep it brief, but interesting, by choosing a slant on this broad subject. Be personal. Humorous or serious narrative equally acceptable. No payment.

~

an awesome zine looking for un- or underpublished writers- mostly fiction

Outsider Ink was named one of the top five markets for new writers by Writer's Digest in the June 2003 issue. Each issue of Outsider Ink is read by over 70,000 people worldwide. We are currently seeking alternative fiction that dares to cross the line. Read our Submission Guidelines and a current issue before submitting.

Be a Creationist. Make Art.
Outsider Ink
http://outsiderink.com

Poetic Genius Society

okay is it just me, or is this the funniest thing you have seen all day????

it is like someone puked up pretention and handed you a spoon

http://www.poeticgenius.com/qualifications.htm

MEMBERSHIP QUALIFICATIONS

There are two membership qualifications for PGS candidates. You must score at or above the 99.5 percentile on any of the tests listed below (some of the scores have been adjusted based on psychometric norms; GRE and SAT Verbal Sections).

In addition, your poetry must, at some point in the past, have been published for public consumption. This would include anything from a newspaper to a book of poems to a high school poetry magazine. In some cases, PGS will review the work of candidates who have not yet been published and consider their poetry for publication in Apotheosis. If such an allowance is made, it will meet this membership requirement.

Applying for membership in Poetic Genius Society is easy. Please follow these steps carefully:

1. Fill out the online application

2. Prepare your scores and published poetry for mailing

3. Mail the documentation when your application is approved by our membership officer. A mailing address will be provided for you at that time.

Stanford-Binet Intelligence Scale 141 IQ
Wechsler Intelligence Scale (any form) 139 IQ
ACT 30
GRE Verbal 95th%-ile
SAT Reading or English 97th%-ile
Miller Analogies Test 75 RAW
Bloom Analogies Test, W-87 1/200
LSAT (June 1991 - present) 174
GMAT/ATGSB 701 AVG
Test For Genius 99.5%-ile
Cerebrals Cognitive Abilities Tests 99.5%-ile
Sigma Test
99.5%-ile
G - Test 99.5%-ile

Mad Poet's Review: June 1 deadline

For those in the greater Phila area, they also have a big circuit of poetry readings, check them out.

I am submitting some stuff and figured I would encourage some company. :)

SUBMISSION GUIDELINES
Mad Poets Review

MAD POETS REVIEW; MAD POETS REVIEW POETRY COMPETITION; MAD
POETS SOCIETY, P.O. Box 1248, Media, PA 19063-8248, founded 1987, Editor Eileen M.
D'Angelo, Associate Editor Camelia Nocella.

Magazine Needs: Mad Poets Review is published annually in the fall. "Our primary purpose is to promote thought-provoking, moving poetry, and encourage beginning poets. We don't care if you have a 'name' or a publishing history, if your poetry is well-crafted." They are "anxious for work with 'joie de vivre' that startles and inspires." No restrictions on subject, form or style. "Just because our name is MAD Poets Review, that does not mean we want mad ramblings masquerading under the guise of poetry. " In it's 16 year publishing history, MPR has published thousands of poets including Gerald Stern, Naomi Shihab Nye, BZ Nidith, Molly Russakoff, WD Ehrhart, Sue Walker, Nathalie Anderson, Alicia Askenase, Tom Devaney, Jennifer MacPherson, Henry Braun, Harry Humes, Paul Martin, Margaret Holley, Greg Djanikian, Leonard Gontarek, Aaren Y. Perry, Daniel Moore, Louis McKee, Jim Cory as well as other renowned poets.

As a sample the editor selected these lines from "For Bob Forster: In Memoriam: by Lamont B. Steptoe: My Vietnam poems made him leave the room/he was the undead who purchased his tears in bottles/slaughtered in a bamboo war/he was burning like a Vietcong Village/exploding like boobytraps, collapsing like a punji pit/who or what could save him?

MPR runs between 120-140 pgs., digest-sized, attractively printed and perfect-bound with textured card or glossy card cover. They receive about 1000 poems a year, use approximately 100. Press run is 250. Single copy: $10. Sample by mail, including postage is $12.00. Make checks payable to either Mad Poets Society or Mad Poets Review.

How to Submit:

Submit 6 poems at a time.

Poems without an SASE with adequate postage will not be returned or acknowledged. OK to send MS Word attachments, but do not include poetry within an email message - Emails have no regard for a poet's intended line breaks!

Previously published poems and simultaneous submissions are OK.

Cover letter preferred, include 3-4 sentences about yourself suitable for our Bio Notes section.

Mark envelope 'contest' or 'magazine.' Reads submissions January 1 through June 1
only. Worst case scenario between acceptance and publication is 7-8 months. Often comments on rejections. Responds in 3 months. Pays 1 copy. Acquires one-time rights.

Also Offers: Sponsors the annual Mad Poets Review Poetry Competition. "All themes and
styles of poetry are welcome, no line limit, previously unpublished work only. Send SASE for
complete contest guidelines. Winners published in MPR. Cash prizes awarded-amount depends
on number of entries. "The Mad Poets Society is an active organization in Pennsylvania. We run
six poetry series; have monthly meetings for members for critique and club business; coordinate a children's contest through Del. Co. School system; run an annual poetry festival the first Sunday in October; sponsor Mad Poets Bonfires for local poets and musicians; publish an annual literary calendar and newsletters that offer the most comprehensive listing available anywhere in the tri-state area. We send quarterly newsletters to members, as well as PA Poetry Society news covering state and national events."

Advice: The editor says, "It is advised that if someone is going to submit they see what kind of poetry we publish. We sometimes receive poetry that is totally inappropriate of our magazine and it is obvious the poet does not know the Mad Poets Review. (Hint: As stated: "Mad" does not mean we are looking for crazy, nonsensical ramblings, or poetry that is permanently ticked off.)

For More Information Contact:

Mad Poets Society
P.O Box 1248 Media, PA 19063-8248

Internet: Madpoets@comcast.net

eve's habit

Submit a poem for no money, no glory, no appreciation from me. :D
Hey, it was closed for nearly 2 years. It'll take awhile before submitting a poem there is a big deal! (edit: It's a bigger deal than it was. :D The place is shaping up, and thanks to all who have already submitted.)

Anyway, here are some basics:
submit up to 5 poems
any form and topic
slap it in the body of your email and kiss it goodbye
send it to eve@eveshabit.com
"poetry submission" in the subject line

You may also submit artwork to the same email addy or uploaded it yourself to the gallery. Links below, and thanks!

eve's habit
submissions
forum
gallery

Last edited:
Blow them away with your....

Hurricane Poetry here-

HIGH-QUALITY unpublished poems sought for anthology, Hurricane Blues: Katrina and Rita Ravage a Nation, edited by Philip Kolin and Susan Swartwout, to be published Fall 2006. Deadline: July 1. No E-submissions. Proceeds go to hurricane relief. Send 1–4 poems to Southeast Missouri State University Press, MS 2650 One University Plaza, Cape Girardeau, MO 63701.

(announcement copied from Poetry and writers, Inc page soliciting poetry :)

Back