How To Garden Basics

This Weeks Update:

The pile of debris in the bottom picture will become compost after I cover it with sand.

Attachments

• HPIM3103.jpg
    HPIM3103.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 15
  • HPIM3102.jpg
    HPIM3102.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 13
  • HPIM3108.jpg
    HPIM3108.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 13
  • HPIM3105.jpg
    HPIM3105.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 14
  • HPIM3101.jpg
    HPIM3101.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 14
I employ 2 composting schemes: One involves a large barrel and black soldier fly maggots that eat the organic waste in the barrel. It makes about 500 pounds of manure. The other scheme involves piling organic debris, covering it with sand, and allowing the Sun to decompose the organic matter into a fine powder that mixes well with the sand. Then I simply spread the pile of compost around with a hoe where it lies.

I tried the black soldier flies but I can't keep them going anywhere except my feed barrels and under the rabbit pens. I think about nutrient cycling a lot and I've written books where a good portion is dedicated to that.

During the summer I feed my leftover/waste veggies to the rabbits. They make poop which the soldier flies eat. The poop/soldier fly mix is scooped up and dropped in the chicken pen. The chickens eat the larvae and then I take their manure (I compost in the pen with deep bedding) and put it on the garden. Every potential calorie is used.

J

I tried the black soldier flies but I can't keep them going anywhere except my feed barrels and under the rabbit pens. I think about nutrient cycling a lot and I've written books where a good portion is dedicated to that.

During the summer I feed my leftover/waste veggies to the rabbits. They make poop which the soldier flies eat. The poop/soldier fly mix is scooped up and dropped in the chicken pen. The chickens eat the larvae and then I take their manure (I compost in the pen with deep bedding) and put it on the garden. Every potential calorie is used.

J

Youre the man! Soldier flies make good fish bait, too.

Cukes Are Ready To Pick

Attachments

• HPIM3122.jpg
    HPIM3122.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 19
11/22/2013 Garden

Attachments

• HPIM3124.jpg
    HPIM3124.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 11
  • HPIM3125.jpg
    HPIM3125.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 9
  • HPIM3126.jpg
    HPIM3126.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 9
  • HPIM3127.jpg
    HPIM3127.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 11
I discovered something.

Normally I harvest broccoli when the bouquet (broccoli are flower buds) is 9 inches across. But I discovered that broccoli tastes better and has a better texture when the bouquet is around 5 inches across.

Little Carrots, Cabbage, Broccoli, And Cherry Tomatoes

Attachments

• HPIM3134.jpg
    HPIM3134.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 8
  • HPIM3132.jpg
    HPIM3132.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 6
  • HPIM3133.jpg
    HPIM3133.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 7
  • HPIM3131.jpg
    HPIM3131.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 9
I've got some patches of bare dirt where I've pulled out some old, dead bushes. I bought some grass seeds and sprinkled them all over. The grass is prouting in some places but not others. I can still see the seeds laying there. Why aren't they sprouting?

Thank you.

I've got some patches of bare dirt where I've pulled out some old, dead bushes. I bought some grass seeds and sprinkled them all over. The grass is prouting in some places but not others. I can still see the seeds laying there. Why aren't they sprouting?

Thank you.

Prolly the seeds are too old. Birds. Use rain water to germinate the seeds.

Rainwater works like magic to germinate seeds that are doing nuthin. If rain isn't available use filtered water. City water has a pH of 11 or so, rainwaters pH is 7.0.

Old seeds are a big problem. Seeds should be viable for 5 years or so but don't believe it. I replace my seeds every spring. The best seeds often have a 15% failure rate. I suspect its more like 50%.

12/5/2013 Almost ready to harvest

Attachments

• HPIM3136.jpg
    HPIM3136.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 6
  • HPIM3141.jpg
    HPIM3141.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 6
  • HPIM3138.jpg
    HPIM3138.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 6
  • HPIM3142.jpg
    HPIM3142.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 5
  • HPIM3137.jpg
    HPIM3137.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 6
Maggot Shit Compost.

It started life as garbage and plants. Blind Soldier Fly maggots ate it and pooped about 50 gallons of compost.

Attachments

• HPIM3145.jpg
    HPIM3145.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 9
  • HPIM3146.jpg
    HPIM3146.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 10
Harvested the last of the broccoli today. It was starting to bloom. Temps are in the 80s. Too warm. More broccoli plants ready to plant.

The cauliflower is a bust. Large beautiful plants, no cauliflower. Too warm.

Planted collards today plus several spinach. They don't care about temps.

Tomatoes love the heat, plenty of them.

Your garden always look amazing. I am so jealous,one day I hope mine will look as good as yours.

Suggestion:

If you live in a warm growing zone like 9 and 10, hedge your bets with leafy winter veggies that don't require cold to fruit. Tomatoes, cabbages, turnips, collards, and spinach do well if youre stuck with late spring temps 60s-80s.

Broccoli, cauliflower, and lettuce need cooler temps, say, 40s-60s.

12/13/2013

Attachments

• HPIM3147.jpg
    HPIM3147.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 15
  • HPIM3148.jpg
    HPIM3148.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 8
  • HPIM3149.jpg
    HPIM3149.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 10
  • HPIM3150.jpg
    HPIM3150.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 8
  • HPIM3151.jpg
    HPIM3151.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 12
Tomatoes are looking nice and healthy. Are those garlic in the black pots? I planted a garlic that started to grow tops in the fridge. I'm happily surprised they are growing,it's my first time trying to grow garlic.
I also tried turnips but they had bugs so I pulled them up. Yours look fantastic though. I planted the bottoms of scallions that i bought from the store, they are starting to sprout. I did the same thing with lemon grass and they sprouting tiny leaves that look like grass.

You have inspired me. Also, is it true that you're not supposed to give them plant food when they are bearing fruit? Do you feed tomatoes now that they are that size.
I get giddy when I see what I have planted growing, if my garden looked like yours I'd probably have an orgasm.

Hard Freeze Coming Tuesday. Picked The Last Of The Cherry Tomatoes.

Attachments

• HPIM3162.jpg
    HPIM3162.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 14
Tomatoes are looking nice and healthy. Are those garlic in the black pots? I planted a garlic that started to grow tops in the fridge. I'm happily surprised they are growing,it's my first time trying to grow garlic.
I also tried turnips but they had bugs so I pulled them up. Yours look fantastic though. I planted the bottoms of scallions that i bought from the store, they are starting to sprout. I did the same thing with lemon grass and they sprouting tiny leaves that look like grass.

You have inspired me. Also, is it true that you're not supposed to give them plant food when they are bearing fruit? Do you feed tomatoes now that they are that size.
I get giddy when I see what I have planted growing, if my garden looked like yours I'd probably have an orgasm.

I stop the water and fertilizer once the fruits are set. Compost and keep the soil moist is it. Otherwise the fruit splits.

Scallions NOT garlic.

Turnips, collards, broccoli, spinach, cauliflower are cool temp veggies. I just planted lettuce seeds for our cold months.

Its time to plant the Spring garden.

Florida has 4 growing seasons; at the moment I'm harvesting my Winter veggies: Spinach, scallions, collards, carrots, turnips, broccoli. Didn't get one cauliflower head this season, but it was too hot until almost Christmas, and temps are critical to head formation.

I bought Vidalia Onion seeds, and Russet Potato seeds. The rest are Okra, Tomatoes, and Cukes. I want a large crop of sweet onions, so I'm forfeiting other veggies.

I also bought 2 blueberry shrubs to add to my blueberry scrub, and a Pink Guava to add to my Guava orchard. I presently have White, Red, Strawberry, plus the Pink. I'll add a Pineapple variety when I find one. I like Guavas, many people do not.

My backyard borders a swamp, so I wanna adopt the Black Elderberries that grow there, to make preserves from.

fruit-for-cancer---guava-1024x682.jpg

Guavas come in a variety of sizes, shapes, colors, and tastes. Their texture and tastes remind me of pears.

Last edited by a moderator:
heirloom_great_lakes_head_lettuce_vegetable_seed_by_azuredandelion_840fb254.jpg

Burpee is now selling iceberg lettuce seeds here. The GREAT LAKES variety is the heirloom variety that came along back at the beginning, and is different from its weak sisters the stores sell. Its heat tolerance is a godsend.

Broccoli, Spinach, Blueberries, And Onions

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 005.jpg