Is there a Gor thread around here?

Rogue420

Really Experienced
I haven't seen anything gore an in my short time here. What's up with that

I haven't seen anything gore an in my short time here. What's up with that

Welcome to the forum. :)

To my knowledge, there aren't many people on this forum who use those books as the foundation for their BDSM. If you want to discuss Gor, start a discussion (as you have here) and people will reply.

Welcome to the forum. :)

To my knowledge, there aren't many people on this forum who use those books as the foundation for their BDSM. If you want to discuss Gor, start a discussion (as you have here) and people will reply.

Thanks for the info....I know many have debated the two in the past just wasn't sure this would be the right place for it for discussion in general I mean

Sure it is!
I have a massive problem with most of the hetero-normative assumptions that fuel most Gorean groups. But damn, the protocol is pretty to see. :)

Sure it is!
I have a massive problem with most of the hetero-normative assumptions that fuel most Gorean groups. But damn, the protocol is pretty to see. :)

I tend to think of it more like a deeper look at one part of a bigger picture, more the reason why slavery is a pillar of Gor and not that intimacy is focused on straight relationships. It does give you something to think about though

I tend to think of it more like a deeper look at one part of a bigger picture, more the reason why slavery is a pillar of Gor and not that intimacy is focused on straight relationships. It does give you something to think about though
I'm not following. :confused:

Maybe I mis understood I thought you didn't like that the relationships were just between men and women?
Not exactly, but-- I'd rather not talk about what i don't like, and listen instead to what people do like about the system :)

Why is slavery being a pillar of Gorean society an important thing, to you? I only ever figured it was because the notion got John Norman's nuts boiling...

Maybe I misunderstood I thought you didn't like that the relationships were just between men and women?

I'm not Stella, but I must admit your comment confused me, as well.

I will admit up front that I have never read any of the Gor books; my only knowledge of the series (and its impact on practitioners of BDSM) if from online discussions and/or references.

But HOW does a work of science fiction, give one a "deeper look at one part of a bigger picture"? For the most part, it appears practitioners of Gor are very focused on slave positions, kinds of [female] slaves, and protocol... most of which I presume are difficult to incorporate into daily life.

Perhaps I am too pragmatic, or not nearly creative enough, but I struggle to understand how such a ... particular... view of slavery translates into the modern world and daily life of BDSM relationships?

Not exactly, but-- I'd rather not talk about what i don't like, and listen instead to what people do like about the system :)

Why is slavery being a pillar of Gorean society an important thing, to you? I only ever figured it was because the notion got John Norman's nuts boiling...

Gorean men are suppose to feel emotion much deeper. Free women are looked at as mothers etc, but the passion between a true slave and her master is what really drives goreans in many many ways. A gift since she posses a true slaves heart. And a huge resonsiblity for the right Master

I'm not Stella, but I must admit your comment confused me, as well.

I will admit up front that I have never read any of the Gor books; my only knowledge of the series (and its impact on practitioners of BDSM) if from online discussions and/or references.

But HOW does a work of science fiction, give one a "deeper look at one part of a bigger picture"? For the most part, it appears practitioners of Gor are very focused on slave positions, kinds of [female] slaves, and protocol... most of which I presume are difficult to incorporate into daily life.

Perhaps I am too pragmatic, or not nearly creative enough, but I struggle to understand how such a ... particular... view of slavery translates into the modern world and daily life of BDSM relationships?

If you can imagine wanting to be nothing more then a pleasing slave, regardless of who your master is, you might understand how its not only a sought after commodity but when the responsibility is known and with the right Master it makes for a passion like no other....slaves may be at one time treated like a bag of potatoes they have no rights, but a true slave would never want any. The protocols and potions are there for the slave to show her devotion. As far as the deeper thing goes I have heard many think of Gor as a small part of BDSM I meant my focus was there

When I was a little younger I started to buy into the whole "to be the best slave you have to not care if you ever experience pleasure or happiness again as long as you're pleasing your Master". Then I realized that I thought it was BS. Guess I'm not a slave :)

When I was a little younger I started to buy into the whole "to be the best slave you have to not care if you ever experience pleasure or happiness again as long as you're pleasing your Master". Then I realized that I thought it was BS. Guess I'm not a slave :)

The real thing here is you realized it but aren't being judgemental about those that do. Cool deal :cool:

I apologise for the snark-- too much family yesterday :eek:. I realise you are speaking about your own personal mythos, and I have no right to pass judgement.

No worries, my intent with the thread was to see if any others were were around here, seems not much so its on its way to the bowles of the lit archives :)

If you can imagine wanting to be nothing more then a pleasing slave, regardless of who your master is, you might understand how its not only a sought after commodity but when the responsibility is known and with the right Master it makes for a passion like no other....slaves may be at one time treated like a bag of potatoes they have no rights, but a true slave would never want any. The protocols and potions are there for the slave to show her devotion. As far as the deeper thing goes I have heard many think of Gor as a small part of BDSM I meant my focus was there

I suspect every flavor of BDSM feels the same about their particular "style" of relationship.

Random question - have you experienced this, in real life, yourself?

Jeeze, I haven't seen anything Gor is a long time, and I've gotten out of it.

But I gotta say, you got good taste.

I used to be very much into studying Gor and it's implications. I believed that I had a passion for being pleasing and that I would do anything in order to fulfill that passion. I really liked Gor because it gave you a very straight forward way to be pleasing. Yes, each Master had his own likes and dislikes, but overall there were certain things that were expected and certain things not tolerated and you could "look up" the answers in a book. I liked that about Gor, since I'm a perpetual student type of person.

Over time I realized that the pleasure I got was not from being pleasing and such, but from being correct. I eventually learned that I was in no way, shape, or form a true slave.

However, to this day there is something almost magical when I think back on Gorean lifestyle. While many of the men I met and learned from were really pompous jerks (cough, what! they were!!!) it was the girls that really had a passion and a love for the lifestyle. There were some of the best people I ever met and they changed the way I viewed a real "slave" and I developed a real respect for them and those like them.

Having said that, I have to admit that (at least the people I knew) for a group of people that have distinct tastes that can be viewed upon by the outside world as "abnormal" ... some of them are very judgmental and completely intolerant to "alternative" lifestyles such as male slaves and the like. However I am more than slightly aware that that is a human trait, not a Gorean one.

Over time I realized that the pleasure I got was not from being pleasing and such, but from being correct. I eventually learned that I was in no way, shape, or form a true slave.
:cattail:

Welcome, Welcome, Thrice welcome!

I sure hope you join more conversations, Opilia. That's a distinction I have rarely ever seen or heard anyone make. And the rest of your post as well.:rose:

Not trying to speak for others here, I think many of us haven't had much interest in the Gorean ways because it was always so set in stone with its basic slave rules and positions, etc. that are fine for some, but just not for everybody.

Here, we tend to let people be. We try to let them learn what they like and define their own selves and not let others stick labels on them or confine them into a set mannerism. At least that's how I see things. I almost preach that labels are just there to get a sense of things, then you should throw them out. Once you have an idea of what path you want to take, those labels are more of a crutch than any help.

I've noticed some of the Gorean groups on Fetlife tend to be "our way or no way" groups. I've seen that mentality in Gorean groups before, but while I knew it could be their desire to keep their beliefs pure, it could also be their way of fighting back against those who almost made fun of the way their whole lifestyle evolved from a set of fictional books. It just started that way. Everything has a beginning of some kind.

BDSM is an evolving thing. We live and let live, for the most part. We've all felt the scorn from vanilla people condemning us for enjoying what we do...doms seen as abusers, subs seen as abusive victims needing a way out to a better life. I'm sure those into Gor have seen their share of that, too. And I'm sure they also have had to deal with those who assume the group is a cult.

We've all been called perverts, sickos, abusers and victims. Ah, there are some more labels. The outside world is always quick to judge someone, when they don't understand them.

While I'd never participate in a Gorean group for long, being a dom and a bit of a sexual sadist, I wouldn't mind visiting, just for fun. But, that's the problem. They don't seem to be into it just for the fun. They are way too serious about things for me.

Back