Same Five Senses Challenge

Angeline

Poet Chick
Joined
Mar 11, 2002
Posts
27,054
Welcome to August, poets. This challenge comes with a tip of the hat and thank you to Piscator for the idea. /thumbs up emoticon/

In this challenge you write a poem that must be built around the following five senses:

Sight: white caps
Sound: flags flapping
Taste: cinnamon
Smell: french fries
Touch: wind​

Q&A:

Q. Do I have to use those exact words?
A. ____No. You can use them if you want but if you can find a way to convey the taste of cinnamon (for example) without using the word, go for it! Just be sure your readers will understand that you meant "cinnamon."

Q. Can't some words be interpreted different ways?
A. ____Yup. "White caps" is a good example of that. If it works in your poem, it doesn't matter which way you choose to interpret it.

Q. Can I write a sonnet/triolet/free verse/paradelle/etc., if I want?
A. ____Yes. Whatever floats your boat.

Q. Can I send more than one poem?
A. ____Sure.


If you choose to participate, you'll have until 9:00 am Eastern Standard Time on August 16th to submit poems. That's a little over two weeks from now. Submit your poems via private message to The Poets. All poems will be posted without authors' names on the 16th. You'll get to see them all at once, but will have some time to try to guess who wrote what.

Have a go at it! These "same" challenges work well with more participants so I hope you can join in! :rose:

Feel free to talk or ask questions in this thread. The poems will be posted in a separate poems-only thread on the 16th.
 
Geez. One day and this thread has spanking and farting. That may be a record. :D
 
Bumping this thread to remind everyone that you still have about a week to submit for this challenge. We only have five poems so far, so let's see if we can get up to around ten (or more!).

Just write a poem using these five senses:

Sight: white caps
Sound: flags flapping
Taste: cinnamon
Smell: french fries
Touch: wind



and send it to The Poets, which is a moderators' account here on the pobo. You have until 9:00 am Eastern Standard Time on August 16th to submit them. I'll post them all on the 16th without names so you have some time to guess the authors and give feedback if you like. Multiple submissions are welcome!
 
I just spent a week in the great outdoors, but now I am back on duty and you will be hearing from me shortly.
 
Not having written anything in weeks now, I've resigned myself to the fact that this one is going to write itself at the last fucking minute.
 
Not having written anything in weeks now, I've resigned myself to the fact that this one is going to write itself at the last fucking minute.

Dwells upon the phrase 'last fucking minute' and I'm sure something will cum to me soon ...........
 
A metaphor that somehow joins the taste of cinnamon with the smell of French fries -- this may be the most difficult challenge ever. :(
 
I knew there was a legitimate reason why I've never posted in the 5 Senses thread.



This is hard.
 
Coming down to the wire.

Who'da thunk I'd have so much trouble writing one poem.
 
Last Call!

Or as T.S. Eliot said in The Waste Land:

HURRY UP PLEASE ITS TIME
HURRY UP PLEASE ITS TIME
Goonight Bill. Goonight Lou. Goonight May. Goonight.
Ta ta. Goonight. Goonight.
Good night, ladies, good night, sweet ladies, good night, good night.



Thank you all for the submissions thus far; there has been a flurry of them this afternoon and we have a lovely group of takes on the same senses. I will post them tomorrow, probably in the afternoon cause I have stuff to do in the morning...so there's still time (but not much!). To you revisers (most of you lol--we poets do love to tinker), I have all your revisions!

I'll post poems in a separate thread and you can also discuss and critique there.

:rose:
Ange
 
Angie, the title of your post looks like "Last Calli" at first glance. It amused me, because I'm such a procrastinator. :)
 
Back
Top