What Made You Smile/Laugh Today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of my favorite bloggers, Ta-Nehisi Coates of The Atlantic, is studying French in his thirties. He has written several posts on the subject so you might enjoy reading them. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a list of tags or archives for his blog.

Thanks. :)

I'm pretty skilled with languages, they've never been too much of a challenge for me. J - not so much. But he'd be the one taking classes, I'd be the one learning on my own to offer him support. If he actually ends up doing the BBA thing, that is.

He already has a Master's degree, so he doesn't need the BBA so much, but I guess he just as well might take the couple of missing classes and the extra foreign language, because it's not a huge task anyways. It'd be 16 ECTS points of French and three essays, so it's just one year, max.

Now I just hope he'll really end up taking French and not Spanish. Although I guess my Spanish would benefit from some brushing up, too, so maybe that's not the worst idea, either.

But I really want to learn French, I just don't want to do it alone! Does anyone on Lit want to start studying French online with me? :)
 
Receiving the most amazing home made flowers I could have ever imagined, let alone been given in this lifetime. When I found them, they me smile so hard, my chest hitched and I teared up a little. Ok, so maybe they smell a bit odd, but for me they are wonderfully, terribly perfect. I am so grateful.
 
I found it very funny when my brother-in-law told my neice to bite him being a smart ass and she said "only if you buy me dinner first".
 
Was able to share with someone who's never seen it before the classic Point/Counterpoint skit with Dan Akroyd and Jane Curtin... "Jane, you ignorant slut..." Timeless. And sharing it made me smile, and laugh
 
Was able to share with someone who's never seen it before the classic Point/Counterpoint skit with Dan Akroyd and Jane Curtin... "Jane, you ignorant slut..." Timeless. And sharing it made me smile, and laugh

I was just thinking about that one the other day. Classic! :D
 
To respond to your closing question: Robert Heinlein's Friday Baldwin. (Friday, 1982. Nominations for Best Novel: Nebula (1982), Hugo, Locus, Prometheus (all 1983))

Nice!

That post was inspired after reading a book where the strong female characters were so implausibly written I wanted to call up the author and ask him if he'd ever actually met a woman in his entire life. ARGH!

And when I watch movies and see some scrawny 90lb boob job kicking the crap out of men three times her size I want to scream.

It's as if these people can't find any creative way to make their females plausibly defeat their foes so they just...don't. So annoying.
 
I either just git my very first message from a complete stranger who said my writing was "amazing" and he loved the book...or an HNG is trying to make a move on me.

I choose the former!

:D
 
I either just git my very first message from a complete stranger who said my writing was "amazing" and he loved the book...or an HNG is trying to make a move on me.

I choose the former!

:D

I'm confident it is the former, but even it is the latter, it's at least a literate HNG with a more novel approach than "here's a pic of my genitalia".

Loved the article on the Clarion Foundation blog...
 
Finally clicking buy on a few things I have needed for a long while but for some lame reasons have been putting off. Soon I will be able to make some progress on my "big picture" project that I was kinda stuck on because I didn't think I could afford the tools I needed. After some budget and priority shifts, turns out I can after all.

Momentum, even if it is slow and steady, feels soooo good. :D
 
attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • stoned.jpg
    stoned.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 68
The promise of an interesting Thursday night.

J has decided he's in charge on this occasion.

I'm already on the good edge.

Two more days of treacle dark teasing is going to push me over in short order.

*Seufz*

I'm a lucky lady.
 
I'm not pregnant.

(Trying to have a positive outlook on menstruation is really, really difficult.)
 
"Every strike brings me closer to the next home run." ~ Babe Ruth

I love this list of successful people who failed.

http://www.onlinecollege.org/2010/02/16/50-famously-successful-people-who-failed-at-first/

Great list. Don't forget Steve Jobs completing possibly the greatest business comeback ever. Also, Milton Hershey! Talk about an epic failure. The guy had a dozen great chances to quit, and each time, refused to melt in the hot sticky fingers of despair.


I deem this funny. Thank you.

I'm not pregnant.

(Trying to have a positive outlook on menstruation is really, really difficult.)

Congrats! Celebrate with a stiff drink and some meth!
 
Depends on my mood and who's in the car. All the kids have some of their stuff on my playlist, and then I usually put it on shuffle. We have some phineas and ferb (for my son) and averil lavigne (for my oldest) and some phantom of the opera (for my other daughter) and for me we have heart and lynard skynard and reba mcentire and van halen and jeremy camp and def leppard and metallica and newsboys and miranda lambert .... well, everything I can fit. lol I only have three gigs. *sigh* I have 12 gigs on my computer of music, but I really can't afford that big of a memory chip so I change what's on it every few months.

"KGRA: the best of the 70s, 80s... and today. And some Disney. And also Broadway."

It's catchy.

:D

A Certificate with a frog on it :)

This is good. Frogs are an indicator species of environmental health! :D
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top