The Lady of Skye (closed)

Martin remained serenely calm despite Selena's words, and he brushed her hair back gently. After a long silence, he rose and looked to Kitty. "Darling, can I talk to you?"
 
"Of course, Pa." Kitty said, standing to follow her father out of the room, leaving the children with Ghell and Matthias.

She would have to have words with Selena later about respecting Tamblin in front of others, but that was a fight for another time.
 
Martin brought Kitty into his study and closed the door quietly before facing her. "What else don't I know about Tamblin?" He asked softly, calm as could be though he wouldn't be taking any excuses or deflection.
 
"Pa, this is my family and I'm doing the best that I can." Kitty said as Martin closed the door to his private office behind them. "Selena is vocal about her displeasure but we are as happy as we can be in Inverness, even more so here in Skye."
 
"That doesn't answer my question." Martin sat down at his desk and bid her sit down in the extra chair by the bookshelf. "What has he been doing? And these men he employs, what have they been up to?"
 
"Pa." Kitty said with a long sigh as she sat down in her chair and stared at her father. "You already know most of what he's done. I'm not going to tell you the rest. You don't need to know."
 
"I'm scared for you, my love. As terrified as I am for the children, it's you and Brogan who make me worry most. He's so small and quiet, and you're not much different yourself. Both easily hurt. And I can see you both have been hurt in more ways than I will ever know. But if you won't tell me what happened before, then at least answer me one thing... Has Tamblin hurt you recently? Since your journey here? Or any of the children?"
 
"I've asked him for a divorce again, but he refuses to let me go. Besides hurting my heart, he has not hurt any of us physically." Kitty admitted, looking at her father as he swore that he was scared for all of them.
 
"I will see what I can do about annulling the marriage, then. As your father, I have as much say as he does. I may not know everything that goes on, but I do know that I'm not ready to let Tambln continue this anymore." Martin sat back in his chair with a sigh. "Why the hell did I consider his suit..."
 
"Pa, no. He will hurt you if you try that." Kitty said, a suddenly burst of panic and fear coursing down her spine. "You don't understand what he can do to you if he gets angry. I'm not going to let that happen to you."
 
"If Tamblin Ghis challenges me, he faces the entire Council of Mull. All of those lords know and adore you. They won't let him pass unopposed," Martin told her calmly. He knew that Tamblin already had enemies on all sides and he couldn't afford any more. He was banking on that fact to make the split peaceful as possible. And Tamblin had never been willing to challenge Martin anyhow. Even if Tamblin was more warlord than clan king, his guilt and shame before Martin usually kept him passive.
 
"No." Kitty insisted again, suddenly frantic at the idea that her father was going to force and annulment from Tamblin. "Pa, I'm an adult and this is an issue between myself and my husband. It is something that I will deal with."

She was so afraid that Tamblin would hurt her father or Matthias in a fit of rage. Her father wouldn't survive an attack like the one he had put her through when she was pregnant with Valentina. Matthias could hold his own, but she still had her fears.
 
"I don't care what age you are. I'm still a father and someone is making my little girl and my grandchildren miserable," Martin insisted in return. "I've let this go too long. I should've intervened the moment I saw you two growing apart."
 
"Pa, he will hurt you. Physically. I don't think that I can stand to know that you've been hurt because of me." She said, tears coming to her eyes. "I can take that hurt because it means he's not hurting my babies. I won't let him hurt my father too."
 
"Katherine," Martin spoke firmly but softly. "That is the exact same reason I would rather he fight with me. I'm an old man whose greatest treasures are his family. I will give everything in my power to protect you and those children. Tamblin won't make it anywhere near us before he's stopped, once things are sorted out."
 
"Papa." Kitty said softly, so terrified of what might happen that she burst into tears. "I can't lose you or Ma. I can't. Without the two of you, none of those children will know what happiness is. They are so depressed in Inverness. This is their bright spot."
 
"Which is exactly why I want to make sure that man can never take them back there again," Martin told her, though he felt his heart clench at seeing her tears. He pulled her into a tight embrace. "None of you deserve this. No one deserves a life of misery and wondering when the next round of abuse is going to come."
 
"He'll make your life just as miserable." Kitty murmured as her father held her tightly, swearing that he would help her to have the life that she wanted to live without Tamblin Ghis.
 
"I've had a good life. I can handle a little misery for as long as he decides to try to oppose me. But he won't win, Kitty. It may take a long time... but one day you're going to be completely free of that man and his damned entourage. You'll be free to have that little girl all to yourself, to marry Vincenzo... It's going to happen."
 
"You don't understand what he's capable of." Kitty muttered miserably, sinking against her father's chest as he held her tightly. "You'll never understand."
 
"I'll never understand, I know..." Martin sighed. He could feel his resolve waning at Kitty's begging, but he knew he needed to help or it would haunt him forever.

And later that evening, Kitty would see Martin and Tamblin walking together toward the keep doors. Things seemed calm but serious between them, and Martin had to gently turn little Kayla away when she wanted to follow. He sent her to Lucina, promising he'd come back to take her for a ride on the horses later.
 
Kayla scampered off to her grandmother, occupying her time with the older woman as her mother sat quietly by herself next to the fire. When Matthias joined her, she let out a long sigh and looked towards her brother, misery on her features.

"Nothing will change, save for Pa making a new enemy." Kitty said softly.
 
"You don't give him enough credit," Matthias murmured in return. "Pa is Mull's favorite diplomat for a reason. He's never fought a war directly in his life because he can talk anyone down to at least a reasonable truce. I know he can't begin to hope to fix everything, but he can at least make some changes that might make life a little easier. I don't expect a victory, just an understanding. Even Tamblin isn't immune to Pa's good sense."
 
"You would be surprised." Kitty said softly. "I lost all of that hope long ago. Inverness is a prison to me now and I feel so bad that the people are treated so poorly. I can take the broken bones and the harsh words. These people deserve so much better."
 
"They do, which is why Pa and I intend to help," Matthias told her, something neither had mentioned plans of before. "Tamblin can gallivant off to war all he likes, but the people deserve some stability. From what I saw, the problem wasn't so much a lack of money as it was a lack of supply. Even well-to-do folk couldn't find enough to eat. That's going to change."
 
Back
Top