The Isolated Blurt BDSM Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The downside to feeling better is that I'm not constantly drinking tea...raging caffeine headache AHOY!! xD *coffee*

Cute! I've seen a misspelling poster of the same type before. I still remember the "there's a lot of space in outer space -> a lot, not alot" bit from it. :)

I really should study some English grammar, I've become all confused with lie vs lay lately. I've always thought I use them correctly, but I've started to doubt myself, because a lot of native speakers seem to disagree with me.

Any poster for that?

Cute! I've seen a misspelling poster of the same type before. I still remember the "there's a lot of space in outer space -> a lot, not alot" bit from it. :)

I really should study some English grammar, I've become all confused with lie vs lay lately. I've always thought I use them correctly, but I've started to doubt myself, because a lot of native speakers seem to disagree with me.

Any poster for that?

Oh, darling...none of us native English speakers know how to use lay/lie correctly, either. They might as well just throw that rule out for all the good it does anybody. :p

I can usually manage to get it right when I'm writing something down, as long as I take a minute to go through it in my head. But I will pretty much never get it right when speaking or when writing without thinking. When speaking, I almost always just use the "lay" forms no matter what because they sound better, and nobody knows the difference, anyway. :rolleyes: :D

Any poster for that?

lay -> putting something or someone somewhere
lie -> resting

The confusing part might be that the past tense of "lie" is "lay".

I lie down. (present tense lie)
I lay down yesterday. (past tense lie! not present tense lay!)

Last edited:
Oh, darling...none of us native English speakers know how to use lay/lie correctly, either. They might as well just throw that rule out for all the good it does anybody. :p

I can usually manage to get it right when I'm writing something down, as long as I take a minute to go through it in my head. But I will pretty much never get it right when speaking or when writing without thinking. When speaking, I almost always just use the "lay" forms no matter what because they sound better, and nobody knows the difference, anyway. :rolleyes: :D

Yeah, I've noticed it's almost always lay people use. Especially in written form it sometimes really irks me. I know it shouldn't, being non-native and all I'm not really in the place to judge how people use their native language. But dammit, those are different words! ;)

There's a Lit story, where the second or third line had "he's laying on the bed" and my mind goes "what?! what is he laying on the bed?!" and there bye bye sexy mood.

Then again, I make stupid mistakes in my native language all the time, that my non-native friends point out and ask about. And don't I then feel silly. It also took a non-native speaker to make me figure out if some words are verbs or nouns or some other crap. :D (and I study linguistics, ooops)

lay -> putting something or someone somewhere
lie -> resting

The confusing part might be that the past tense of "lie" is "lay".

I lie down. (present tense lie)
I lay down yesterday. (past tense lie! not present tense lay!)

Yep, this is how I've thought it goes, too. But a lot of people seem to use lay almost everywhere, so in the recent years I've started to doubt myself.

I've already pretty much given up using whom - although I've never found it particularly difficult - because so few people use it correctly, if at all. I'm not willing to join the lay group just yet, though.

BTW, what is your native language if not English? I've always thought it's English and you live in the States. That's what you get for assuming, I guess.

EDIT: It goes without saying, but don't feel pressured to answer, I'm just nosey like that. It's sort of a hobby of mine to guess people's native languages based on their English, so that's why I'm asking. I really never would have guessed you're not a native speaker.

Last edited:
First time in a long time I've been genuinely bored. :/ I need someone with a pair of kicking boots to come over.

This one is a no-brainer for me, but then I went to school at a time when we started learning the formal rules of grammar in - wait for it - grammar school.

Plus, it's easy to remember that lay [in the present tense] is an action verb when you consider that the phrase "get laid" refers to a [rather popular] action.

One of my staff arrived an hour late for his shift this morning. As it was non compulsory overtime, I wasn't too concerned, but he came over to me to apologise anyway.

"Sorry I'm late, but my wife's been away for a week and she only arrived back at 2 am this morning. So we've been having sex."

My face was a little unsure how to react to that. "I overslept" would have been just fine, to be honest :D

Less than 36 hours before I'm on the road to Florida with my friend Laura! :D

Less than 36 hours before I'm on the road to Florida with my friend Laura! :D

Awesome! Enjoy! Roadtrip to Florida sounds amazing, definitely something I'd like to experience (although I'd probably have to bring a suitcase full of ginger and Dramamine with me just in case).

I'm gonna have to wait until next May before any bigger vacation. At least then we'll have 2 weeks time to go somewhere. And there's a slight chance of a weekend getaway in December, thou.

One of my staff arrived an hour late for his shift this morning. As it was non compulsory overtime, I wasn't too concerned, but he came over to me to apologise anyway.

It's actually a challenge for power.

Oh man does my body hurt, but I love this burlesque style work out!

I'm also going to miss the workshop once it is over. But I'll still have the work out.

Something oddly cathartic about sitting down with five trays of dehydrated veggies and separating the zuccini from the bell peppers.

Something oddly cathartic about sitting down with five trays of dehydrated veggies and separating the zuccini from the bell peppers.

Doing the dishes is that for me.... :rolleyes:

In his book The Miracle of Mindfulness, Buddhist teacher Thich Nhat Hanh suggests that doing the dishes or other similarly mechanical tasks can be an excellent means of meditation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back