I am Music

Hi AH,
I see what you mean by listening to your quintet which I like as music, but the samples don’t do it justice at all. What are they? They sound like some kind of Microsoft general midi sounds preinstalled in windows (?) and without any effort to manipulate them a little with control messages etc.
I don’t know what you use, sequencer or score writer?
I use the score writer side of things cause I always like to write and notate the music fully with every performing nuance irrespective of whether or not the software can play it. Is there a pdf or XML file of this quintet by the way?

I myself use for years the Sibelius score writer (version 8.6 now) which is very expensive for what it offers in my opinion, but at least I'm very pleased in the notational side of things, video and mp3 extraction, etc. but I was never much impressed with its sound library which is massive, slow and not very flexible in terms of midi programming, but a few months ago a friend presented me with an application called Note Performer and since then everything changed to the better. I think it is quite affordable (about 130 euros), but it works presently as a sound engine only with Sibelius. What it does is that it has the ability to read ahead of the score and interpret most markings, so in terms of dynamics, hairpins, crescendo/diminuendo, bowing markings, etc it works fine. I found that their solo and ensemble string samples are quite advanced already (for their price), but they still have to improve on woodwind and brass instruments.

Perhaps you should consider making a change of set up. There is no need to buy Sibelius if you find it too expensive (650-700 dollars as a first time user) and go for Note Performer. Check out MuseScore, which is completely free. It definitely has better sound samples than the ones you use on your quintet, and of course you can further process them with a free DAW like Audacity for better results. There are some collections like Vienna Symphonic Library which can fool (in some pre-programmed pieces only), the most attentive listener that the music is played by human performers, but on one hand they cost over 10000 euros, and on the other the learning curve is so slow and steep, that I consider it the province of a sound engineer and not a creative artist like poet or composer. But have a listen to some of the classic standards there, anyway. :)

https://www.vsl.co.at/en

http://www.avid.com/sibelius
http://www.noteperformer.com/

https://musescore.org/en
http://www.audacityteam.org/download/windows/

Last edited:
I use a score writing program called Mozart. I'm a bit of a pauper, so most of what you suggest is out of reach for me. But I will look into MuseScore.

Learning to Fly by Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers

Tom has a lot of songs that I like that I grew up with. I understand he had a heart attack today and was taken off life support. His death is imminent if not already and I cannot help think he has has his wings now.

Fly free, buddy. You will be missed. :rose:

Tom has a lot of songs that I like that I grew up with. I understand he had a heart attack today and was taken off life support. His death is imminent if not already and I cannot help think he has has his wings now.

I'm sad about Tom too. He is a favorite of mine and EE loved Tom as well. I adore the song you posted and this one, which EE always said was my song. :heart:

Swingin

I'm sad about Tom too. He is a favorite of mine and EE loved Tom as well. I adore the song you posted and this one, which EE always said was my song. :heart:

Swingin

Ya, I like that song too. Reminds me of Flora-Bama Lounge & Oyster Bar right on the beach of Gulf of Mexico. Plenty of oysters on a half shell, beer and bikini babes had there.

:heart: Ange.

Ya, I like that song too. Reminds me of Flora-Bama Lounge & Oyster Bar right on the beach of Gulf of Mexico. Plenty of oysters on a half shell, beer and bikini babes had there.

:heart: Ange.

This was before you were a coffee Lothario? :eek:

This is a great longish show from Gainesville in 2011, great because they're playing in his hometown. Also yknow because he is just an awesome rocker, one of the best.

You should start one of your challenges if you have a chance. They tend to have staying power. :heart::kiss::heart:

This was before you were a coffee Lothario? :eek:

This is a great longish show from Gainesville in 2011, great because they're playing in his hometown. Also yknow because he is just an awesome rocker, one of the best.

You should start one of your challenges if you have a chance. They tend to have staying power. :heart::kiss::heart:
I think he would have been an oyster barfly... Not as poetic as a his Lothario but this is just because the napkins at a seafood shack would be a lot messier.

And yes, I vote for a neo challenge. PLEEEEASE

In late 1975, I was a graduate student in psychology at the University of Washington when I bought the LP Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers based on a Stereo Review review of the album at Discount Records on the Ave, where afterwards I'd always drop a dollar or two in the Black Panthers' Free Breakfasts for Children coffee can. Played the shit out of the album, especially this song, which is my all-time favorite TP song, barely beating out this one.

I want to link this one too.

And probably wear my trousers rolled.

I had a dream last night and this song was playing in it. I had forgotten what a great funky soul song it is. And those go-go dancers are doin the Sloopy!

Those German gals are definitely in sync with the music track, but not the band. The horn section isn't even present in the audio.

I tried to find a live one with the real band, but I thought this one was great because of those women. That's some serious go-go dancing. :)

Vintage guitars.

(not vintage as in old)
The Peter Green thing.

I'd never have believed it, you know.

The neck and the tuners are rubbish,
I swear it does the Greeny thing.

Claire De Lune by Debussy

Taking us the classical route now. French doors pushed open, glass of red in hand, a lover’s finger tips, and of course the silver-blue of a moon rising. I’m transported by its beautiful melancholy every time.

Back