Pregnancy and the Placebo Effect?

kidsinlovee

Virgin
Joined
Jun 24, 2014
Posts
5
Hey everyone!

This is mostly for woman who have been pregnant before/have any similar experiences. I'm 19 and just recently became sexually active, and am in the midst of my first (and hopefully last) pregnancy scare.

So, I had sex on the 2nd, and the condom ended up breaking. I was able to get Plan B and take it about 20 hours after, which is said to have a ~95% success rate. So the risk of me being pregnant should be relatively low. My last period started on June 7th, so I should be getting mine soon, but I do know that Plan B can delay periods.

But I feel... different. I've been having slight pain/cramps, but they don't quite feel the same as normal PMSing? And I feel like the normal discharge that I have is getting thicker, but again, that could just be where I'm at in my cycle. I obviously don't know what an early pregnancy would even feel like, and if I am pregnant, then it's like 6 days. Are there even noticeable differences that early? I realize I should take a test, but I've read they won't be accurate anyway, so. I feel like I could just be freaking myself out and creating a sort of placebo effect of pregnancy.

I actually have a doctor's appointment tomorrow for birth control and plan on explaining the situation to them. Does anyone know if a doctor would have means to tell this early?

Thanks for any information about similar experiences or anything related really! I know I should just be patient, but honestly, I'm really freaked out. I'm a full time student and my boyfriend is currently unemployed, and I just really can't have a baby right now.
 
it sounds as if you have already made up your mind about any potential pregnancy.. the rest is just details.

both early pregnancy and the pill you took to interfere with contraception can create a hormonal shift. Your doctor should be able to tell - and that is really the best person with whom to discuss a reliable means of contraception.
 
Is birth control fully reliable on its own?

Ugh, the pregnancy scares are seriously taking the fun out of sex. >.>
 
Literotica is good for a lot of things, but for medical advice surrounding pregnancy you really want to cover all your questions with your doctor.
 
Is birth control fully reliable on its own?

Ugh, the pregnancy scares are seriously taking the fun out of sex. >.>

Other than abstaining from having sex, there's no such thing as fully reliable birth control. When you discuss birth control options with your health care provider, talk about failure rates and failure modes. A condom breaking is one failure mode. Another is when it's not used correctly.

The problem with statistics like 'failure rates' is that they lump everything together into a percentage, when there are some things that make certain methods much less reliable. Keeping a condom in a wallet, for example, would increase the chances of it breaking. Not withdrawing immediately after ejaculation and letting the condom slip off inside of you boils down to "operator error".

Setting aside all of that, if you want to look strictly at percentages then using two forms of birth control reduces your chances of getting pregnant if either one fails. A broken condom is not as bad if you're on hormonal birth control (but there's always STI's and STD's to consider). I am not personally a fan of Plan B, for reasons other than the panic factor. But then we're not talking about me.

Learn everything that you can about your choices of birth control, and never (ever) hand over your responsibility for your body and your safety to your partner.
 
Yeah, I have to say my daughter was conceived while I was nursing my son, while I was on a demi-pill, and he was using a condom. She was just meant to be.

Nothing is 100%. Usually if you are both using something, the chances are greatly reduced.
 
Me too, actually. "We" got pregnant while using an IUD. The OBGYN said it was still perfectly in place. After some stressful dr's visits, hat pregnancy ended in a miscarriage. The lesson for us was that 98% is 0% when you're pregnant.
 
Is birth control fully reliable on its own?

Ugh, the pregnancy scares are seriously taking the fun out of sex. >.>

Your symptoms are probably Plan B related, not due to pregnancy. Emergency contraception can mess with our bodies something fierce, which is one of the many reasons they're only to be used in emergencies, not to deal with irresponsible behavior.

Please stop having sex until 2 very reliable forms of birth control are in full effect. Hormonal birth control (pill/ring/patch) plus condoms (when used correctly; it sounds like you two need a refresher course on that front) are typically a very effective combination. Make sure your doctor knows that the condom broke so decisions about pregnancy and STI testing can be made and you can learn about using condoms properly. If your bf can attend your appointment, all the better, since you'll be dealing with issues that affect BOTH of you. He can always wait outside if you'd like to speak to the doc/nurse privately, then come in for the education part of the visit.
 
Back
Top