The King and I (closed)

He shook his head,

"And where will I find another like you? You know that this power and wealth thing is just in place to prevent a wedding with peasantry."

He took a sip of his wine, of course not his taste, but he had learned to drink it as well as eat a lot of things that was needed from the royalty to enjoy.

"You are no peasant, even though your father may have some financial problems, you still have a title."

He raised his hand quickly,

"Nobody else knows about the problems your family is enduring. I did my own checking on why you have been working yourself into the ground. That is one of the reasons I admire you so much Charlie, no feeling sorry for yourself, you just shoulder your responsibilities and work on a better future for yourself and those you care for."

He sat back in his chair,

"You refuse to talk about it, so as your friend I had to find out. I care about everybody Charlie, that includes you."
 
“Dave…” She started as he mentioned that power and wealth was onto a way to prevent a wedding with a peasant. Her family was just as destitute as many of the general population. Having a title did not equate money.

She nearly spit out her wine when he brought up the fact that he knew about their financial problems. She had worked so hard to make sure that no one at the palace knew. She blushed deeply in embarrassment as he mentioned that he had people find out what had taken her attention as of late.

“My father is the one that has gotten us into this position and I work hard only for my brother. I can’t let him take over a title that would ruin his life before it’s even begun. Toby deserves so much more than that.” She said softly as she found the courage to look Dave in the eyes.

Charlotte reached across the table and touched his hand, sighing softly as she gripped it gently. “Dave, I’ve always loved you. As far as I’m concerned, your family is mine as well. I just don’t think that being married to me would be good for you. There are so many women out there that can bring so much more.”

She sighed softly and took a moment to gather her thoughts before she continued. “I will make you a deal. You must promise me that you will look for another suitor. Make the effort to get to know some of these other women. In the meantime, if you really wish to, we might explore what can become of our relationship.”
 
He turned his hand, curving his hand over her own, resting his other hand on top of her own,

"There is none better suited, but I will take your deal and make the effort. If through logic I can prove each of them to be unfit to be my wife and queen to my people..."

He smiled slightly,

"Well then if you would have a man who has nothing but the name of somebody who once was crowned king, then we can explore said avenue."

He raised her hand, drawing away his own to kiss her knuckles and then leaned back into his chair, letting their hands rest on the table again.

"At least you have finally professed some sort of love for me. That is worth a lot to me."
 
Charlie smiled as Dave consented and kissed her knuckles gently. She nodded slightly as their negotiations ended and it seemed that both parties were pleased with what had been struck. She rolled her eyes as he mentioned that she’d finally professed her love for him.

“Oh, come on, Dave. You already knew that.” She said as their meal was delivered and she thanked the waitress with a smile. “You’re my best friend. I mean, there’s a reason why you were the only boy at my sixteenth birthday.”

She blushed slightly as she thought about that night, focusing on placing her napkin on her lap before she glanced back up at him. “In fact, you’re still the only boy that I’ve ever kissed.”
 
"Oh?"

He smiled at her discomfort,

"Then you have been a very busy lady if that was the last kiss..."

A naughty twinkle came to his eyes and it was reflected in the grin that crept over his face,

"Or did the one kiss scare you off of men and you've decided ladies is more your forté?"

He loved teasing her when she was blushing already, she knew it, yet she kept getting herself into the same predicament time after time. He reached out and patted her hand,

"You know I'm messing with you, I am honored, really I am and just for the record, the only woman I have kissed since then was the queen...and definately not in the same manner."

He winked at her
 
She was still blushing deeply as he teased her about that kiss that they had shared so long ago. She looked at him with a grin as he patted her head and told her that she was just teasing. She gave him that “look”, the one that usually told him that she was planning something in retribution.

“Oh? Have you been thinking about me with another woman, your majesty?” She asked innocently enough, watching the blood rush to his face as she started to laugh and share a very joyous moment with him.

He was charming and handsome and he had always been her Dave. He could make her laugh when she was sad and make her heart flutter in the most wonderful way. He had been so sad lately with the death of his father and brother and she had tried to be there for him despite her own problems.

“I do want to ask you something, Dave.” Charlotte said, taking a sip of her wine before she continued. “I was wondering if I might ask for a loan. Toby is entering university and there isn’t enough money to cover the tuition. I would take a reduction in pay to help cover the debt, but I really want the best for him.”
 
He took a sip from his wine, looking at her, then nodded,

"Sure, there will be no deduction from you pay, it is little enough as it is. I am sure the crown prince will be most understanding of the situation."

He wondered what she would do if she knew what he had planned, but he knew she would have ten thousand reasons to prevent the plan. The ground he had in mind was a productive piece of ground, basically a county in it's own right. It was bought from a struggling count and Dave had to admit that he was rather upset with himself for losing touch about what heappened to it. He ate as he thought and then looked up at her.

"I have changed my mind about that ground I wanted you to look at. Make a priority of it, I am sure that the ministers will excuse you from the afternoon's discussion. I will take a recorder with me so that you can make your notes on what you have missed. I am certain that it will not take too long for you to find out what I want to know."

He was slightly amused as he knew she had nothing with her to make a note, unless she had hidden something in that well-fitting suit of her's.
 
“You know I won’t accept that. I will be paying you back, Dave.” Charlie said with her eyes narrowed slightly as she saw what he was doing. He would pay for the entire thing and she was much too proud to let him do that.

She nearly spit out her wine when Dave announced that he’d changed his mind about the land that he had suddenly remembered he had. She sighed deeply, her shoulders rolling forward as he insisted that she needed to go look at it immediately.

“Today? In this weather?” She glanced towards the window at the snow that had started again. “Dave, what are you up to? Why is that land suddenly so important?”
 
He nodded,

"Today, in this weather. You have done worse in worse weather Charlie. I wish to see if the land is agriculturally strong enough and as productive as it should and could be."

He grinned,

"Not like I am asking you to go shovel up some ground samples. I just need to know that we are doing our best to sustain ourselves and the people around us, it's all."

He pushed his empty plate and glass aside,

"So what is the amount you need?"
 
“Oh, I certainly have.” She said, grinning as he mentioned worse things in worse weather. “I seem to remember a certain prince who needed an umbrella holder during his knighting ceremony. It was pouring down rain, freezing cold, and I looked like a soaked rat by the end of it.”

She laughed along with Dave as he laid out what he wanted her to accomplish. Even through it was an easy job, it was certainly one that she wasn’t looking forward to. Charlie sighed softly and shook her head, quietly agreeing that she would go and look at it while he was in meetings.

“I don’t have an exact number, Dave.” She said, her eyes lowering to look at the empty plate before her. “But I’m thinking fifty thousand would cover most of it. You know how pricey those private schools can get.”
 
"Hey, chin up. You are not begging a stranger for help, you are talking to me."

He grinned,

"You do know me right? Donovan Berston? Also known as Dave?"

He reached out and patted her hand,

"You are doing very good Charlie, don't worry about it OK? I'll see that you get the funds you need."

The waiter came to remove their plates, Dave checked his watch,

"A nice thick slice of that extremely rich chocolate cake and the biggest coffee you have."

He glanced at Charlotte,

"I'll swim it off."
 
Charlie laughed as Dave ordered a large slice of cake and coffee. She shook her head and stared at her best friend, a silly smile crooking the corners of her lips. “It’s not me you have to explain that too. Don’t come crying when the newspapers start to comment on your weight in not so nice ways.”

She answered him diplomatically and sarcastically. He would accept nothing less from her and it had been the hallmark of their friendship since the very early days. She’d always had a crush on Dave. What girl didn’t? He was handsome and smart, kind almost to a fault and extremely loyal. And he wanted her. She’d always known that he wanted her, but a sense of duty had kept her from truly exploring the relationship that could spring forth.

“So, answer me truthfully, Dave.” She said as the coffee was delivered along with the cake and two forks. “You’re marry me tomorrow if you could, right? Why me? With all those other women throwing themselves at you, why me?”
 
He scoffed at her reply, of course she would tell him that, but she also knew how hard he worked to keep in shape. Her question took him by surprise, it was not like he haven't told her a thousand times before.

"Why you?"

He chuckled,

"Well first off you are pretty, which of course all of these women are. But the things they lack you have. Loyalty, respect, thoughtfulness, courage, intelligence...need I go on?"

He shrugged,

"You are just the total package Charlotte."
 
Charlie listened the explanation that he set forth and she shook her head slightly. He was a flatterer surely and saw her in a way that no other man did. She let out a short breath, a smile curling one corner of her lips.

“I’m not the only pretty girl out there, Dave. I’m not the only one that would be loyal and respectful, and thoughtful.” She needed him to simply agree to look for his wife else where. She could already see the fights his council would go through when he announced that he wanted to marry her.

She reached across the table and squeezed his hand, giving him a smile. “Just don’t rush into anything. Take your time and make your decision based on more than just those qualities.”

She started to gather her things, slipping back into her jacket and stood from the table. “I’ll take a taxi out to the property and have a look around.”
 
He looked thoughtfully up at her, then nodded,

"Sure, it will be good, I think if you shake a leg you might even make it back for the mmeting on time."

He purposefully ignored her comment about finding another woman who has all the qualities he admired about her. If there was such a woman under the royal families, he was still to meet her. His dessert arrived as Charlotte departed, he slowly ate the cake and sipped on the huge mug of coffee. His thoughts troubling him, he had to reach out to the people, but how?

It was almost half an hour later when he departed, the small motorcade taking him swiftly home. There was still time left before the conferance and he used that time to pour over the reports, checking to make certain he knew all he needed to know.
 
“Oh, no. If you’re letting me off my leash, I’m not coming back so quick.” Charlie said with a laugh as she finished slipping on her gloves and left him behind to finish his dessert.

It was a bitterly cold day outside and the cabbie thought that she was crazy to want to go to the outskirts of the city to look at a cold, desolate piece of farm land. She promised him a large tip at the end of their trip and silently thought that Dave was crazy as they fought their way through the snow and wind until they came upon the property.

It was once a grand piece of land that had fallen into a bit of disrepair. She could see an old manor house in the distance but with some work and some funds, it could be a grand home once again. She tried to remember who had once lived there, but with many of the old royal properties, it had changed hands so many times over the years, it was hard to say. It would yield Dave a good deal of money, she thought, and well worth his time.

Glancing at her watch, it had been well over an hour and a half since she had left Dave and she had most definitely missed the meeting. Directing the cabbie towards the royal palace, she settled back into the seat for the long, cold ride home.
 
Even though she never said much at these meetings, Dave missed Charlie's precense, there also wasn't anybody to talk to when the meeting was done. There was an hour left before his 5 o'clock meeting and he spent that at his mother's bedside, watching in silence as she slept. He knew how hard all this have been on him, now during rest he could see how hard all of this had been on his mother. While sleeping she was relaxed, her face lost twenty years and she looked vibrant. He suppressed a sigh when the time drew near for him to leave, getting up he gently kissed her cheek, tucking her in, he turned to leave.

"You know, it's not that hard to find the right wife."

He paused, but didn't turn,

"But in your eyes I can see you have found her already."

He chuckled,

"Yes I have mom."

"Good."

He left, knowing she would go back to rest.
 
Charlie was absolutely miserable by the time she returned to the palace. It had turned even colder and the roads were growing icy. It was looking like she might have to sleep in one of the spare rooms at the palace instead of trying to drive to her apartment that night. She sighed, thinking about the evening that she’d planned soaking in a warm tub with a good book and how that would probably be turned upside down now.

Pulling into the courtyard, Charlie accepted the hand of the porter that helped her from the cab and smiled at Mr. Gibbs as he paid the cabbie and sent him back on his way. The look from the head butler was one that asked what she’d been doing out there in weather as nasty as what they found themselves in.

“Duty calls, Mr. Gibbs.” She said with a slight shrug of her shoulders as she moved past him and into the palace, letting her body gradually warm in the entry as someone came forward to take her coat and gloves. “I believe I will be staying the night, Mr. Gibbs. Maybe the same room as last time?” She asked and he nodded, silent as ever but quick to do as she asked.

With that taken care of, she made her way back to the royal apartments, pausing when she found the Queen sitting at the dining room table, sorting through what looked like a stack of correspondence. She looked well rested and was warmly bundled in a pair of flannel pajamas and a fuzzy robe.

“Would you like me to put those in the post?” She asked, taking a seat beside her as she smiled at Charlie and shook her head. Charlie took in a deep breath as she noticed the letters of condolences that it seemed the Queen had finally found the strength to look through.

“No thank you, Charlotte. I believe that I can do it myself. I thought that it was time to stop wallowing in my pity and take some action.” She said in her soft, yet strong voice, a hand reaching out to touch the young woman’s beside her. “Will you be staying for dinner, dear?”

“I believe I’ll be staying the night. The roads are getting bad.” Charlie admitted as the clock on the mantel rang six times, letting them know that the evening meal would soon be served.
 
Six o'clock came and went, Dave was busy working on his speech and going over new reports, if Gibbs didn't bring him coffee and a sandwich he wouldn't have had anything to eat. What was left of it was half a sandwich and half a cup of cold coffee when he finally finished the speech. Gibbs came to retrieve the dishes,

"Baroness Weir is staying the night."

Dave arched an eyebrow,

"Well then, I should find her and see if she found anything interesting."

He got to his feet, stretched and headed for the door to find Charlotte
 
Laughter greeted anyone who walked past the royal apartments as Sophie and Charlotte talked and reminisced about old times with the family. It did Charlie’s heart a world of good to hear the Queen laughing with complete spirit. She knew then that there was hope for the woman’s heart to mend.

Glancing up as the doors to the dining room opened, Charlie grinned to herself as Sophie was quick to her feet. “Donovan, where have you been? You missed dinner!” She exclaimed, pulling her son to a seat at the table and making sure that he had a full plate of food before him in short order.

“I suppose you’ll want to know about that land.” Charlie said as the Queen sat back down next to her with a sniff of distaste.

“No talk of business tonight. We are going to have a nice, quiet evening.” Sophie insisted, looking between the two of them as they both nodded. “Good, now I’ll be right back. I think we need more wine, dear.”

Watching as the Queen hurried off towards the kitchens, Charlie turned back towards Dave and smiled. “They’ll produce you a nice crop with some time and care. The manor house on the land needs some repairs, but it would make a charming retreat from the city.” She said shortly and to the point, letting him know what she thought.
 
He looked down at the plate,

"But I already ate."

He knew it was a practice in futility, but perhaps it was practice he needed. He turned his attention to Charlotte.

"Good, it will get that care and contribute."

He smiled and leaned back into his seat, arms on the armrests of his chair,

"I'm glad you are staying, I've been so busy I hardly have the time to talk to mother, much less hear her laugh."

He gave the empty bottle a pointed look,

"Of course it seems like the two of you had some help."

He chuckled and sat up, starting to eat gingerly,

"From what I saw outside you must have returned before the roads became impassable, otherwise I would have needed to launch a search and rescue party for you. Max taking lead of course, I will just tell him that foxes abducted you, he will be very keen to find you then."
 
“Have you ever known your mother to take a meal without wine?” Charlie asked with a grin as Dave nodded towards the empty bottle that sat upon the table. “She is part French.”

She laughed softly as she heard him talk about sending out a search party if she hadn’t returned. “Oh, I’m sure Max would have taken one look at the blowing snow beneath the front portico and run back into the palace for cover. He’s a very fair weather hunter, it seems.”

At that moment, Max decided to come sniffing into the dining room, making his presence known. He walked first to Dave to receive his pat upon the head and then made his way to Charlie, settling his snout in her lap and sighing in contentment as she scratched behind his ears.

“You are scheduled to have breakfast in the morning with Count de Larq and his daughter, Lucinda. She seems to like you, Dave.” Charlie said in a teasing manner as the queen came back in with another bottle of wine and all talks of political marriages ended.

The topic was light and laughter abundant. She saw the light returning to the Queen’s eyes and the weight taken off Dave’s shoulders. If it was the very least she could do, she would take away all the pain the family had suffered and make it her own. They were lovely people.

As bedtime rolled around, Charlie bid her goodnights and made her way to her designated room, finding it chilly that evening. She dressed in a nightgown she had stored at the palace for such occasions and spent a good deal of the evening pacing the plush carpet, unable to sleep as she thought about Dave’s words from earlier that afternoon. He wanted to marry her. He wanted to make her his queen. She couldn’t let that happen.

She sighed in frustration and threw on her robe, making her way silently towards Dave’s apartments and slipping inside the toasty warm rooms. “I couldn’t sleep.” She whispered as the figure in the bed turned its head towards her and she slipped beneath the covers in next to him.

It wasn’t the first time she’d done that. When his father would take the court on retreat to the North of the holiday seasons, she always seemed to get the coldest room in the palace. She found Dave’s bed always nicely warmed and welcoming to snuggle against a warm body. It hadn’t changed since she was a teen and now in her late 20s she still sought the comfort.
 
He felt her slip under the covers, he wasn't completely asleep as he had just gotten into bed, preparing for the next day. He accepted her explanation and felt her snuggling up to him, she was cold, even with the pajamas he could feel how cold she was. He slipped an arm around her, holding her closer to him, sharing his body heat with her. Back in the day, these moments was the best moments in his memory, he smiled in the dark.

"You caught me just in time. I can be grouchy when I am woken...but then again you do know that."

He settled back into his cushions, his fingers absentmindedly playing with her hair.

"Do you feel that you will not make a wife for me because of your status or is there more?"
 
Charlie sighed as Dave's arm snaked around her and his fingers absently played in her long hair. She glanced towards his handsome face when he asked her what her apprehension to marriage was. She was quiet for long moment, her hand resting against his chest as she worked up the courage to tell him.

"I have no title, Donovan. That's a big issue." She said softly, confessing to him as her best friend and not her employer or king. "There's enormous debt and my father's...affairs. People would talk, there would be disapproval, and I can't do that to you. You will make a great king and I won't do anything to keep you from that."

Shyly she ducked her gaze from his and felt a blush covering her cheeks. "And I don't want to ruin what we have right now. It's perfect."
 
He smiled, it was all that he had thought it to be. He gently kissed her forehead,

"You just get some rest Charlie, I'm sure that the problem will have itself sorted in the future, all you need is the right situation."

He gave her a hug and closed his own eyes, it would be another hectic day tomorrow and with the big speech, he was sure more preparations will have to be forced into the already hectic schedule. He wondered what his ministers will do when they hear the speech, with this thought he fell asleep.

He groaned when his alarm started buzzing softly on his bed stand, it felt like he had just closed his eyes. He could feel a soft body nuzzled up to him, the familiar smell made him smile as he opened his eyes, then turned to shut off the alarm. He stretched out as she stirred next to him,

"Morning sleepy head."

He slipped out from under the covers, heading for his dresser.
 
Back
Top