Questioned Truth in Fiction

Although considering the hate piled on Twilight, it's not like this is a rare action... I admit, I'm guilty about arguing over what fictional creations are "really" like.

Twilight gets a lot of flak for sparkly vampires (me included) but I suspect a lot of that is driven by deeper issues. "Badly-written creepy vampires who teach teenage girls that obsessive stalking = romance" is too much for a mouthful.

Or what about the life of Agathocles? Born the son of a potter, spent time as a prostitute, became a soldier and a bandit, took over his city, and killed off the senate. When Carthage besieged Syracuse, he left the city with most of the army and attacked Carthage, forcing them to withdraw. Born the son of a potter, died a king.

Paul Robeson always struck me as an implausible wish-fulfillment sort of character.

“Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't.”
Mark Twain

The paradox of fiction is that it must establish its own reality--that is what a reader may be objecting to in some stories.

So even if an element of an author's story is in fact based in reality, including that detail in a story may be more about the author's conceit than writing fiction that resonates with the reader.

Then again, any time artists challenge the preconceptions of their audience, they will meet resistance.

The first exhibit of the Impressionists in Paris had to be closed due to rioting. Now the Impressionists are some of the most loved artists in the world.

Just a heads up, SR. I'm almost 10,000 words into my version and I figure I'm about two-thirds done. This is gonna be a long one, even after I trim it down.

I was questioned once on a story that I have since pulled because it was part of something else that I published.

I attributed a certain ritual to Crowley and had someone post that he was never associated with it.

I started to do as Pilot did, and write up a post saying I know what I am speaking of and was going to cite the book, then stopped and thought...

"Why do I care?" Why do I care if this person thinks I'm wrong? Why bother defending myself? Not to mention its fiction anyway.

Instead I waited and sure enough a day later another comment was posted saying I was right and citing the source.

Looking at Your story it looks like someone came to your aid as well.

I wonder though, the guy who said they go to the father's house? That wasn't a "You're wrong!" post he did have an answer of his own and I wonder if there are different traditions?

Anyway everyone has their own approach and being questioned doesn't bother me. I won't respond because to em that ruins my image as being the "all knowing, always right author" Mystique:D

Just a heads up, SR. I'm almost 10,000 words into my version and I figure I'm about two-thirds done. This is gonna be a long one, even after I trim it down.

Noted. If you then think the two would make an interesting coauthored e-book, we can exchange them for editing and then, if you want, you can put them together with an introduction and submit to eXcessica and keep any profit because of the extra edit--and because I don't take profit from eXcessica.

If you don't think they fit together, I'd enjoy reading yours anyway and the creative process we went through.

I was questioned once on a story that I have since pulled because it was part of something else that I published.

I attributed a certain ritual to Crowley and had someone post that he was never associated with it.

I started to do as Pilot did, and write up a post saying I know what I am speaking of and was going to cite the book, then stopped and thought...

"Why do I care?" Why do I care if this person thinks I'm wrong? Why bother defending myself? Not to mention its fiction anyway.

Instead I waited and sure enough a day later another comment was posted saying I was right and citing the source.

Looking at Your story it looks like someone came to your aid as well.

I wonder though, the guy who said they go to the father's house? That wasn't a "You're wrong!" post he did have an answer of his own and I wonder if there are different traditions?

Anyway everyone has their own approach and being questioned doesn't bother me. I won't respond because to em that ruins my image as being the "all knowing, always right author" Mystique:D

Why did you care enough to even ask this? (We both know why.) You lose your point by even asking. You're just jealous that Slyc and I are having this little creative thing and have to try to take the edge off it. You just can't help yourself.

I commented on the story, because that "you're wrong" comment would color the responses of any other reader and could influence what the readers took from the story (the thought that it was based in nonsense, when it wasn't--it was researched, and the whole issue of what is myth in the Amish attitude toward sex and behavior and what is not is central to the story) as well as how they rated the story.

I commented because the commenter was wrong and the story was properly researched and because the system gives me the privilege of responding to comments if I want to. And you can stick it in your ear if you want to rag me about it. I rarely respond to comments on the stories. In this instance I deemed in appropriate.

I'm not surprised you horned in, though. Ya gotta have your attention, and you can't stand seeing me getting any.

"I don;t spend time checking on what other people are doing, I just worry about my own shit."
--Lovecraft68

Why did you care enough to even ask this? (We both know why.) You lose your point by even asking. You're just jealous that Slyc and I are having this little creative thing and have to try to take the edge off it. You just can't help yourself.

I commented on the story, because that "you're wrong" comment would color the responses of any other reader and could influence what the readers took from the story (the thought that it was based in nonsense, when it wasn't--it was researched, and the whole issue of what is myth in the Amish attitude toward sex and behavior and what is not is central to the story) as well as how they rated the story.

I commented because the commenter was wrong and the story was properly researched and because the system gives me the privilege of responding to comments if I want to. And you can stick it in your ear if you want to rag me about it. I rarely respond to comments on the stories. In this instance I deemed in appropriate.

I'm not surprised you horned in, though. Ya gotta have your attention, and you can't stand seeing me getting any.

"I don;t spend time checking on what other people are doing, I just worry about my own shit."
--Lovecraft68

This entire thread if posted by me, would get a "look at me" crack from you. "Or a look at my story please, because someone has to!" (true in your case)

I answered a question you posted. Yes I've been called out and personally I never care if someone believes me or not If I know I'm right its good enough.

Never mind how pathetic you look with "hey we can make an e-book out of this."

Then again you need all the help you can get, especially here. I had no idea what category your story was in until I looked saw it was mature.

I just released one in mature as well. As always when we happen to hit the same category or enter a contest you're sitting back there looking at my ass.

I'd ride another author too, if I were you.

Well, that certainly proves the point I was making. Just can't help yourself. :rolleyes:

Talk about pathetic.

Your "I just posted a story in the same category you did and am beating your ass at it" illustrates your pathetic need to compete and be seen as better as well as your need to suck all of the air out of the room for personal use.

--Lovecraft68

Last edited:
Noted. If you then think the two would make an interesting coauthored e-book, we can exchange them for editing and then, if you want, you can put them together with an introduction and submit to eXcessica and keep any profit because of the extra edit--and because I don't take profit from eXcessica.

If you don't think they fit together, I'd enjoy reading yours anyway and the creative process we went through.

Let's wait and see what you think of it after it's posted. I think both stories are a good fit, personally.

Submitted.

Given that it's pretty much equal parts group sex and gay sex, I anticipate some strong reactions, even though I included an author's note at the beginning.

It will be interesting, at the least, to read the comments. ;)

I wrote a story and posted it on lit back in February. In it, a girl seeks out a farm hand while he is working, and they have sex in a secluded area while hes on the job. I received an anonymous (of course) email review that claimed to be positive, but he actually knocked my story, using capital letters and such. He said "oh, if they were middle class, then they wouldn't have done this. You wrote the story like they were at least middle class." Come on! They weresnt having crazy redneck cousin sex out in front of the barn with an audience!

Great quote for this topic. Thanks.

Vouch'd

Bickering aside, This-----^

Some people communicate in reply with a story as a reply.
Maybe anecdotals?

OHSNAP: what if they are not all Trolls... :eek:

I received an anonymous (of course) email review that claimed to be positive, but he actually knocked my story, using capital letters and such. He said "oh, if they were middle class, then they wouldn't have done this. You wrote the story like they were at least middle class." Come on! They weresnt having crazy redneck cousin sex out in front of the barn with an audience!

Welcome to the world of Political Rhetoric.

Read it; it was fun. Trust it's above 3.75 now.

Thanks. Yeah, I just checked and it's at 4.18. Doubt I'll see that H next to it, though. Ah, well. As I figured, some readers were turned off by the male-on-male action between Abel and Mike.

Back