Conversations with other artists

wait... who is shy/ has fear?

I think, without much effort you could find a HEAP of exhibitionistic men. :rolleyes:

they all want to wag it in front of a woman.

Hmm, true, but i'll still probably work primarily from my own head. i'm the one that gets shy i go from outgoing and chatterbox-like to shy as a bunny in 2 seconds flat. In large groups of people i a focus in on my model and don't have a care in the world except that sketch/drawing/painting/sculpture. When it is one-on-one i worry about the air temp., whether my model is comfy, needs water, a stretch break, etc. lol.
 
yup. been there.

(unless my mind wanders, as it did in that story)
for some, drawing a nude model is strictly academic, but for me, though I get in an intense focus groove, I am also keenly aware of the intimacy and eroticism.
 
hi

Nice to have this thread. I am a huge fan of comic art, pinups and manga. never went to an art school nor being an artist is my profession but i still draw because it feels like a music to my eyes.
Recently finished college and now moving to Virginia. Machine drawing classes in my grad school messed up with my sense of fluidity. Though I learned a lot about technical drawings and perspectives but once you start thinking in terms of squares and triangles, everything you draw ends up being 'robotic' rather human!
This phenomenon tends to disappear when i am painting in watercolors.
Still working on my digital skills and currently, in my free time, freelancing for an adult toon website (and i am loving it).

you can find some of petty stuff from me on : Deviant Art .. though nothing has been uploaded recently on my deviant profile.
 
Last edited:
I suggest to everyone... always carry a sketch book...and draw people..live people..doesn't have to be nekkid people. and draw trees..and flowers... lots.. and LOOK at what you are drawing. and draw some more...AND draw them buildings and hard edge stuff too... draw draw draw.
 
Nice to have this thread. I am a huge fan of comic art, pinups and manga. never went to an art school nor being an artist is my profession but i still draw because it feels like a music to my eyes.
Recently finished college and now moving to Virginia. Machine drawing classes in my grad school messed up with my sense of fluidity. Though I learned a lot about technical drawings and perspectives but once you start thinking in terms of squares and triangles, everything you draw ends up being 'robotic' rather human!
This phenomenon tends to disappear when i am painting in watercolors.
Still working on my digital skills and currently, in my free time, freelancing for an adult toon website (and i am loving it).

you can find some of petty stuff from me on : Deviant Art .. though nothing has been uploaded recently on my deviant profile.

Hi Kim! *waves* :D thanks for joining into the conversation :D i need to go join deviant art to see your work. i'll do that tonight. :) What are your most favorite subjects to work with? Watercolor is so freeing that totally makes sense. Some of my sketches are here... http://cocobijoulala.tumblr.com/tagged/sketch
Are you doing all the pages and panels for the webcomic? May you link it? Exciting stuff! :).
 
I suggest to everyone... always carry a sketch book...and draw people..live people..doesn't have to be nekkid people. and draw trees..and flowers... lots.. and LOOK at what you are drawing. and draw some more...AND draw them buildings and hard edge stuff too... draw draw draw.

this. a thousand times this. *smiles* You are a wise man. :) *and i need to go sketch...*
 
seems that the "artists" are not very conversational. A hazard of being strictly visual.
 
I feel that the pencil has become an under rated tool. In general, we (the public) see so much slick and colorful visual material, that fine draughtsmanship gets overlooked.


(and I am a bit lazy):D
 
Time for a new sketchbook! current one is not quite full, but it is starting to fall apart.

I also am on the search for a really old one of mine... it is not with all the others...GrRrRrrrrrrr.

Most of the time I get O-ring type, because they can stay open (vs perfect bound style). I also draw on only one side (for the most part)...because of possible bleed through (or show through)... for scanning..and the O-ring facilitates scanning...and can tear out pages... if just crap notes, or if a "keeper", though I like the context of sequentialness.
 
Last edited:
I suggest to everyone... always carry a sketch book...and draw people..live people..doesn't have to be nekkid people. and draw trees..and flowers... lots.. and LOOK at what you are drawing. and draw some more...AND draw them buildings and hard edge stuff too... draw draw draw.

Aye Captain!

.... but .. how can you NOT draw nekkid people and then draw them the hard edge stuff too .... ?:eek:
 
Aye Captain!

.... but .. how can you NOT draw nekkid people and then draw them the hard edge stuff too .... ?:eek:

Just draw everything you can.

draw from photos...(sometimes), but from "life" as much as possible.

Look and SEE.

I have noted, when teaching drawing, that most will look at there drawing more than their subject, and in doing so tend to draw what they THINK it should look like, rather than what is actually there.

I fall in to that too, of course, especially when drawing this made up stuff with no reference. When I have been drawing from "life" (including the inanimate objects) on a regular basis, I find that my made up crap is more likely to be convincing.


*ring*! Ok, now use your sketchbooks and be back in class all the earlier tomorrow! HAHhahahHAHahhahahaha
 
Last edited:
I am bummed out that my best local source for sketch books went out of business... :(

The one I am finishing up is a 9x12
I'll probably go back to the 6x9 just for portability sake.
 
I am bummed out that my best local source for sketch books went out of business... :(

The one I am finishing up is a 9x12
I'll probably go back to the 6x9 just for portability sake.

Which sketchbook do u use btw?

I use copier paper. Easily available and free at office. Pretty big too. :D
 
Which sketchbook do u use btw?

I use copier paper. Easily available and free at office. Pretty big too. :D

90% of what I post here is on copier paper; fits scanner, cheap, easy to stash away quickly, and can be filed separately from less "offense" images. :) (though some "dangerous" stuff has appeared in quite a few sketchbooks):eek::eek:

sketchbooks.....
I counted 40 or so recently... probably 1/3 are Canson, 1/3 Strathmore, a few case bound, a couple handmade, some Bienfang.
attachment.php
 
Last edited:
kinda light on the conversations here.

I should go to Michael's today, for some sketchbooks, illustration board, watercolor paper and some tiny flower pots.
 
Got 2 each of 2 sizes of watercolor pads. a watercolor set (cheap dry kind that I like). 5 sheets of illustration board, and 2 wire-O bound sketchbooks. (one will be given away. (and the small terra-cotta pots)
 
Throbbs, good on ya talking about the work of an aspiring artist. Everything you're saying is true about learning to draw. You gotta draw, you gotta take subjects and draw them as you see them. It's as simple as that. Results vary.

Now for the rambling version where I share my experiences: :confused::rolleyes::caning:

I always thought I'd be the best artist in the world if I put my mind to it, and I drew pretty decent um, robot warriors when I was 7 and 8. Didn't need a picture to go off of either, I could render this one robot from memory. So, I drew it, ever day some times. Then I moved on to other things. I participated in art contests, which challenged me to try other material. At 14, I decided I wanted to draw some manga. I mimicked the sketch style of some manga. Then I mimicked some more polished anime. When I felt my results were not up to par, no matter how hard I tried to mimick exactly what I saw, I straight up traced it. And improved.

My heart was always in it, and I drew and drew and drew. Plain copy paper, Throbbs? You bet your ass I had clean sheets on me everywhere I went. An adequate drawing utencil and non-abrasive erasers? A non-negotiable expense, also always on hand. Sometimes I lost them, but those were the breaks. (take me back to those levels of stress, o lord)

Yes, I was poor in the wallet but rich in free time, and I dare say I haven't improved much since the age of 17, but I branched out into photoshop...

Put it to you another way: You don't have to fill dozens of sketch books. Try hard, try every day. If you judge your works to fall short in some way, address those shortcomings rather than let them discourage you. Never, ever, ever be discouraged. The artist that can pour his imagination out onto the page does not exist, with the exception of Bob Ross, and he was an example of formula or mass-production art.

Do all this, and you'll be having fun producing great drawings, perhaps sooner than you think. You might someday come to the conclusion that you won't be the best, but that was actually an uplifting experience, as I came to appreciate masters like Rembrandt and Frazetta. Some of the impetus to improve diminished..
 
Rembrandt

Went to the traveling Rembrandt exhibit when it was in Cleveland. Dozens of of his works along with students and imitations. Mind blowing. Always try to see art in person. Photography is amazing but not the same.
 
Went to the traveling Rembrandt exhibit when it was in Cleveland. Dozens of of his works along with students and imitations. Mind blowing. Always try to see art in person. Photography is amazing but not the same.

Truth!
stephenchapman.

I had plenty of (yet not enough) Art History courses, with slides and books, but seeing a piece in person is much different, the colors, the scale (the Mona Lisa was way tiny....and I had read the dimension before, but that is still somewhat abstract), the textures (paint strokes, varnishes, matt finishes) all give more the sense that the work has come from a person's HAND, the have been TOUCHED.


All the more so with sculpture... I went to the Claudel and Rodin: Fateful Encounter exhibit... you HAVE to walk around the pieces.
 
<shy wave>

I'm not a traditional artist, no painting or drawing (that part of my brain seems to be severely broken), and most folks consider what I do "craft" but sometimes I come up with a piece which I think tiptoes over into art-land. I work with hot glass, mostly making fairly simple beads.

Several years ago I was trying to copy a simple twisted bead from Italy, and kind of got carried away. They began to evolve, some folks liked them, so I worked on the whole concept until I got something that I liked and that was unique in each piece. I don't make them much any more, but they do amuse me sometimes. I'll post a sort of evolution of their form, ending in one that friends said looked rather suggestive. I about died when I realized how they were seeing it! I call these my "flutter" beads.
 

Attachments

  • silvcobaltflutrcl.jpg
    silvcobaltflutrcl.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 37
  • TwilightBoroFlutter.jpg
    TwilightBoroFlutter.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 44
  • RoseFlutter.jpg
    RoseFlutter.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 42
Surpirise! supplies

I am bummed that most of the art supply stores around here have closed.
We are left with Michael's and Joann's Super Store.
I think there is still a skeleton of one on campus.

I can get some things online (Dick Blick for example), but I prefer to see and touch many products before purchasing.

I suppose there will be road trips in the future...Utrecht and Blick
 
Back
Top