Sins of the Father (Closed!)

Ambrosia_64

Literotica Guru
Joined
Jul 21, 2011
Posts
880
"We can’t outrun them. Not pinned in like we are." Elise murmured, her spyglass in hand as she stormed across the deck of her pitching vessel, ducking a round of chain shot the other pirates blasted them with. Men screamed as they were taken overboard, others scrambled to their feet, readying the return volley. Blevins helped a man up bodily, slapping his hand on his back to get him moving as another pirate shoved the cannon against the ship's side.

She stopped and raised the spyglass, sweeping over one of the opposing ships. She recognized the flags-she’d been beating the very same man to Spanish Galleons for months. He was her father’s rival-she wondered if he recognized the Windblade. She wondered if this was a planned assault-must be, for three ships to chase them for so many miles out in the middle of the ocean.

She caught the opposing captain spying back. With an irritated growl, she slammed her own closed and turned away, Blevins rejoining her just as they raised their own flag. “We’re too small to take them all in a direct fight.” He told her, pointing towards the ship to their West. “We’ve nearly demasted that one, but-”

“It won’t be enough.” Elise said grimly. She was looking at losing her ship. “All we can do is go down fighting, Blevins. Fighting, and praying for a miracle.”

She turned and cupped her hands to her mouth. “REIN IN THE SAILS! BRING UP THE PITCH!" She blared to the chaotic scene of men across her deck. “ALL WE’VE GOT FOR THE WESTERN SHIP, WHEN I COMMAND IT!”

She took the control of the helm herself, spinning the wheel to avoid the worst of the cannon fire being lobbed at them from one ship, before her sails were were drawn up, replaced with storm jibs. Her ship was smaller, faster-but not nearly as armed as the frigates she faced.

Blast it all.

"SIX OF YOU, SWITCH SIDES!" She’d put SOME holes in that bastard rival’s ship, god dammit. Cannons roared, but the Western ship-well, it had received the pitch, and was rapidly catching aflame.

/////////////////////////////////////////

It hadn't been enough. The Windblade had fought hard and masterfully-one of the accompanying ships had sunk, spitting flames-but the sloop couldn't withstand the attack of all three ships. She was sinking, pirates jumping overboard, those that had survived the chain and grape shot, that was.

By the end of it, there were a few new holes in his own ship-but he had come out on top, and now, before him-was the subject of his ire, or at least-the son of his rival, and the accompanying first mate.

The grizzled pirate didn't look pleased to be there-but that was nothing compared to the daggers being glared by what appeared to be a young boy. Smaller, dwarfed in his captain's coat, the kid had lost his hat to reveal blond, sun kissed hair that disappeared down the back of the coat. Loose fitting clothes and a youthful face only added to this-a spattering of freckles across the bridge of the nose and tops of the cheeks, and pretty, Caribbean blue eyes that were a shade too large for his face, but added to the youthful, even fragile look of him.

Certainly put up a fierce naval battle, for one so young.
 
Last edited:
"Retired!" Blevins coughed, having swallowed no small amount of salt water in his swim. "Retired nearly two years ago!" He was thinking hard about their chances-but things weren't looking good.

"I'm the Captain-" The boy growled, heedless of the blades and muskets aimed at them. "And I know who you are, Vane. My father spoke of you-and I've heard whispers of you coming upon the scraps of my victories." Same growled, younger voice. "You sunk my ship."

Blevins closed his eyes, clearly having preferred that information NOT being revealed. Well, in for a penny... "Tis true. This be the Captain's progeny. Took over the ship when Avery retired."

///////////////////////////////////////////////
He'd sunk her ship! Elise wasn't sure if she was infuriated, absolutely livid-or heartbroken. Honestly, maybe a mix of both. She wished she had gone down with it.

If she survived this, what would she say to her father? The Windblade had been theirs since she was a child-she had never been prouder to own anything in her life.

She had kept her voice as convincing as possible-she would rather be executed than revealed to be a woman, particularly on a ship full of pirates who were NOT under her strict control. She should be more afraid-but she wasn't. She was busy hating her father's former rival, the cursed Captain Vane. Sunk her ship! Could not best her, so he decided to sink her!

Scaly dog.
 
Last edited:
The boy's eyes blazed with outraged anger, face coloring across the cheeks as the gathered men laughed.

"This moron sunk one of your accompanying ships, dog, and put more than a few holes in your ship."

Well, the boy captain had him there.

As fearless as the youth apparently was, there was a flash of anxiety when he mentioned the plank to Blevins, who had only tipped his chin up defiantly. It was the plank or torture, the gruff first mate knew.

/////////////////////////////
Elise's heart pounded, briefly unsure what to do. She opened her mouth, then closed it, tearing her eyes from the proud pirate beside her to glare at Vane. "Why would he know where my treasure is?" She tried, the growling tone fading ever so slightly, losing some of the young boy deepness. Subtle, very subtle.

She was gambling. It left room for Blevins to claim he knew where her father's treasure was-not that there was really any, anymore, he'd retired with it-and potentially parlay her own for her father's old friend's life. Blevins had done more than a little for her in the course of her lifetime. She kept her men under strict regimen, but the grizzled first mate's presence had kept her safer than she would have been otherwise.
 
She was going to kill him. Her body tensed and her face turned red with anger-but Blevins stepped forward, and suddenly Vane was holding a sword.

The anger dissipated and she stood wide eyed and shock still. Nervous glance to Vane as he spoke to her, and she-well, she shut the hell up, even as though the 'cabin boy' comment irked her.

Blevins listened to the man with an expressionless mask on his scarred face, unable to see that the 'boy' was staring at him worriedly, brows furrowed. His jaw tightened again, fixing Vane with a solid look of pride. "You mean the boy's ship, and the boy's crew. As for treasure, you would have to ask the young Captain Avery where he keeps it...and I would never reveal the whereabouts of the former cap'n, not even on pain of death."

The boy's eyes reflected a mixture of approval, surprise-and dread, the Caribbean blues eyes flicking to Vane.
 
Blevins knew this story well. Two friends parted by the love a lass-Bart had told him the tale, and Blevins had seen the result of the woman's choice-his young charge.

He had never married, had no children, but he had loved the girl as his own daughter, had watched her grow into womanhood on her father's ship-and, eventually, becoming a captain in her own right. He was proud of her. Proud enough to die for her, and her father.

He didn't so much as flinch, or curse at them, seemingly resigned to walk off to Davy Jones' Locker.

Elise was much less resigned to his fate, however. Beneath the coat that dwarfed her, the loose man's shirt-her chest rose and fell rapidly, her heart hammering. Every muscle in her body felt tight, coiled like springs. This-this couldn't happen.

Brilliant eyes shifted back to Vane as he leaned in, beginning to speak-and she acted. She stepped suddenly and abruptly close to him, ensuring he could not strike her with his sword-and grasped hold of the pistol holstered on his hip while simultaneously shoving hard at his chest and stepping back from him several paces, pistol in hand, arm extended-holding him dead to rights.

It would be entirely unexpected, the strength not of a young boy but an adult woman who had spent her life on the seas, fighting with the best of her men. Bold, efficient, and deadly.

"That's enough!" She burst, dropping all pretense-this was a woman's voice, sharp, commanding, and fierce. The pretty boy was no boy at all! "Call off your men Vane-you men, pull Blevins back in or I kill your captain!" She demanded, first of the Captain himself and then of his men, her tone of voice leaving no doubt that she would carry the threat through.

She kept her gaze firmly on her father's rival, prepared to answer blood for blood. She would have rather held a sword, but the flint lock pistol would do. He would be unable to get the drop on her-she was too far away from him, and his men had left him to set up the plank and shove Blevins onto it.

What a clever woman.
 
Her jaw twitched at his first jeer, but she said nothing at the barb. He may not be taking her seriously-something he would soon regret if she had anything to do with it-but the men paused. Elise didn't allow him that close. She hadn't managed to captain a ship full of men by being stupid.

The pretty eyes narrowed as he shouted at them, the death march continuing-but she did not look, her eyes boring into his. "Yes." She said succinctly to his question of whether she would shoot him, interrupting him.

By God, the anger and determination in her eyes showed that she would do it. "If I cannot save Blevins, I will fight and kill as many of you dogs as possible-starting with you."

She pulled back the hammer as he attempted another step forward-still circling him, keeping the distance. "Is that how you want your legend to end? Killed by a 'mere' woman? I'm no weak willed girl, Vale-I've done it before. I'm the goddamned captain of a pirate ship." Those narrowed, pretty eyes glittered with danger. No deception-woman she may be, but she was a pirate and a leader of pirates.

"Swear no harm comes to him, period. Swear, and I'll surrender."

"Captain!" Blevins called, looking worried, as he had not for his own fate. As soon as she lowered the gun, no doubt he would die, and God only knew what they would do to her. Vale called them off, he was being tugged back to the ship. "Elise!" He warned, eyes widening when, as promised-the captain surrendered the weapon.

She turned the pistol and held it out to him, butt first-and reluctantly. Would he honor his word? God, she hoped so.
 
Last edited:
"For my part, I also strongly advise against breaking your word, Vale." Elise said, the captain's eyes on the retrieval of her first mate. Her voice was...feminine but strong, a velvet feel to it. Nothing like the lowered 'boy's' voice she had masked with earlier.

She seemed dangerous. Attractive, even in those ridiculously large clothes-but attractive. She smelled nice, too.

A bit of the wiry tenseness left her form as Blevins was brought back to safety, not that it was entirely notable in the overly large coat she wore. The grizzled first mate glowered down at her, but Elise only offered a half smile, one corner of her lips quirking in near apology.

She allowed them to shackle her, eyes narrowing on Horstap when he brought up her gender. Luckily for her, Vale preferred to have a pawn against her father.

"Captain." Blevins growled correction cut over Vale's last word of 'girl'. Elise was quiet a moment, reluctant-but then, finally, she spoke.

"The English Port Royale." She said begrudgingly, Blevins mouth falling open. "Elise!" He exclaimed, but she said nothing, merely lowered her gaze to glare into the deck of the ship.
 
"Thanks for backing me up." Elise said softly to her father's old friend and her first mate, once they had been shoved into the small cell and left alone.

"Of course." Blevins responded, a wary eye through the bars as Elise leaned against the far wall, a growled sigh.

"I can't believe I lost her, Blevins. She was a fine ship."

"The men will talk of the sinking, and no doubt your capture. Your father will hear of it. It was clever to name Port Royale. Opens our options, brings us near to him." Neither pirate could know that Vale did not intend to sail there, but instead was sending his remaining ship and taking them to Tortuga.

"I'm not sitting here waiting for my father to get revenge." Elise said tersely, raising and dropping her shackled hands.

"That won't be what he comes for, Captain. The Windblade was yours to lose-he has no stake in it. Vale has something much more precious to him, now."

"...does he?"

"Of course he does! You're his only daughter!" Blevins exclaimed, surprised at her.

"I'm not sitting here waiting for a rescue, then." Elise amended with a frown, sliding to sit on her pert bottom.

After several minutes of quiet, Blevins spoke in a low tone again. "...you shouldn't have done that, you know. It was a mistake to reveal yourself to save me."

"What, I was to let you die? Do you know how difficult it is to find a good first mate?" Elise teased in the face of his grave seriousness.

"It's no place for a woman, the seas-not without a crew. You're plenty tough enough, Captain, but..."

"I'm not scared of Vale or his scurvy men." She said defiantly, but-she could see Blevins was, on her behalf. Neither one of them wanted to speak of the unpleasant...risks involved.

"He'll only blackmail you with me. He hates your father, and by extension, you. What do you intend to do?"

"Escape, kill him, or take over his ship-one of the three."

"Elise. Captain." Blevins came over to her, sitting himself heavily beside her. "I know you're cookin' up a plan. Until you're ready, play along-not to spare me, but to spare you. The less dangerous he thinks you are, the better."

"Condescending git that he is, suppose that won't be difficult." Elise said with grumbled distaste.

"And if you see a chance, take it-do not worry about old Blevins-I've lived long and hard as it is."

Elise said nothing, merely scowling.

"Promise me Captain, please."

Still nothing.

"Captain-"

They were interrupted when a small group of men came down, eyed them both warily. "Captain Vale invites you to dinner." Said one. "And, should the Lady Avery decline-"

"Captain Avery accepts." Blevins answered, interrupting them and earning him Elise's glare. He gave her a nudge and she rose reluctantly to her feet, clearly displeased.

They unlocked the door and one of the men reached for her, but Elise stopped him with a growl. "You'll pull back a stump, lad." Her tone and her gaze were both so fierce the pirates actually let her walk unaccosted, marching alongside her to the Captain's quarters.
 
The door closed, and while Elise could think of several unkind things to say or taunt him with, she bit her tongue. Not because of this...submission lie he told himself-but because Blevins advice was probably solid.

Let him think her a weak willed girl, as his lessor. It had killed men before, after all. She stayed near the door, allowing her eyes to wander the room-pausing only briefly on a chest she recognized as hers, previously in her own captain's quarters. She did not gaze at it long-he already had one thing to hang over her head, she wouldn't allow him two.

He offered her a mug, and Elise merely lifted and dropped her shackled hands, arching an eyebrow.

But when he offered the chest, she seemed a little caught off guard, surprise registering in those Caribbean eyes-before she seemed to catch herself. "Oh, how generous of you to gift me my own possessions." She said with an edge.

The chest contained an odd assortment of things. There was a silk shawl that looked much too feminine for the lady captain to ever wear-and seemed rather old. A journal was wrapped in waxed paper and sealed to waterproof it, tightly tied in twine. A small wooden doll wearing a British Naval uniform, and an assortment of clothing items, most of them men's-and a few women's underthings. There was also a green jade, small statue of an elephant wrapped several times over in a bundle of cloth.

Silence. "What do you want, Captain Vale?" Elise said after a moment. "My thanks? I thank you for sparing my first mate, but I told you where to find my father, what more do we have to discuss? " The thanks seemed relatively sincere, but the rest of her words were biting, suspicious. What game was he playing here? Potentially, a dangerous one.

She wasn't sure. She knew he and her father had been rivals, and she herself had beaten him to many a Spanish Galleon-but their hatred of each other was a mystery to her. She assumed, like many pirates, they simply picked a foe and stuck with it.

But he hated her father, according to Blevins. And by extension, her he had said.
 
Elise was unfazed by his tirade. If anything, it only seemed to confirm what she suspected-he hated her and wanted to see her suffer, wanted to control her. For being her father's daughter? For being a woman who dared to sail in a man's world? For existing? His flashes of sexism were not surprising to her-there was a reason she had masqueraded as male.

"And I just thanked you for that." She pointed out at the end, just before his men burst in, not reacting as far as the chest went-she had written it off already. She had written everything off, already, including whether she lived through this or not.

Still. There were things that mattered to her within it. But not enough to give Vale another point of control. The petite woman shook her head at his question. He had been nothing but condescending and mocking to her, but he demanded civility?

"In my position, would you grovel before a mocking captor looking to kill your father, Lady Vale?" She had used the term Captain, earlier-but if he insisted on denying her the title, she would turn it on him-as if he didn't tower over her, or could indeed put her through torture cruel men reserved for women and women alone. Elise had lived with that possibility hanging over her head for as long as she had been a Captain. She would not tremble before it now.

Or him.
 
Elise blinked at him and his grin, the rapid change in emotions throwing her off briefly. She had expected a violent retort to her insult, and instead-he was freeing her hands and making an almost amused comment about her earlier, desperate gambit to save her first mate.

With Blevins in the brig, she wouldn't dare attempt such a thing again-and he knew it just as well as she did. She absently rubbed her wrists, trying to keep her expression neutral-but she was surprised and unsure what to make of things, and it reflected in those expressive eyes.

The captain sat, complimented her, and then bid her to also take a seat, speaking to her without mockery or condescension. As if this truly were a social call. Elise hesitated only a moment, but then she shrugged out of her coat, hanging it on the back of the chair before she too took a seat. Her clothes were no less boyish and loose, white shirt and black pants, but a woman's shape was better hinted without the coat. Her long blonde braid was now visible, reaching to her lower back.

If he had found his manners, she would certainly employ her own. "Would you do those things Captain? I find sewing rather droll-though I have never done anything more with it than repair sails." Her voice had lost the biting tone and sharpness, now a pleasant, almost conversational tone-soft, velvety.

"I grew up on these seas, under my father's care and tutelage. It was only right that when he retired, I inherited the Windblade." Her ship...she felt that sense of loss once more, but did not dwell on it now. That was the way life went sometimes, wasn't it? "My gender does not hinder my swordplay or my navigational skills. It would be nice to have the height and weight of a man, but-" A shrug, a smile playing on her lips. "I make do."

She must be very clever to Captain a ship full of rough and tumble men without issue. Clever, and no doubt a little ruthless when necessary-surely at times, men suspected her. She made for an awfully pretty boy, after all.

"Sailing is my calling, what I was born to do. And you Captain?"
 
Elise wasn’t sure anything ever ended well for women. She was unsure if he was threatening her or not with the statement. If he wasn’t, she wondered if he was aware of the irony in his statement. She was, after all, a woman being imprisoned on his ship, used as a pawn to draw her father to his death. He had threatened her with gang rape more than once thus far. She did not believe herself to be out of the woods either.

She listened as he told her of his own life, surprised to hear her father had once looked out for him. Her brow furrowed, lips parting to say something about this when the knock came at the door.

Dinner proved to be quite a spread. Elise felt guilty. Blevins was below decks and certainly wouldn’t be treated to a dinner such as this. It made her ale taste like sand, no doubt it would the food also. “Thank you.” She said, picking up an olive and popping it into her mouth.

She was silent for several moments, her expression neutral-but those expressive, beautiful eyes thoughtful, troubled. She swallowed, a frown. “If you were so close, previously...why do you want to kill him?” Elise wasn’t sure it was wise to inquire about it. Raising his ire while alone and unarmed in his cabin, the daughter of his rival and a woman who had bested him to several galleons herself-perhaps she should have stayed on neutral, passive topics.

But she had to know. It didn’t make any sense-and seemed downright disloyal, in her opinion.
 
“My father told me plenty-just about things that mattered.” Elise said with a slight, defiant tip of her chin. “Blevins told me about the rivalry, actually. When I asked my father about it, he just said you two had a falling out and you would like to see him run through for it. He never claimed to hate you. If anything...he seemed a little tired, maybe even...distraught over it.” Elise responded, another sip of ale as he spoke-before she set it down with a blink, his story finishing.

“...that’s why you hate him?” She looked a mixture of disbelieving and surprised. “Really? A four year friendship ruined over a woman you knew for two weeks?”

Men.

She frowned. “Well...I’m sorry she drove you apart by having a will of her own.” Elise said slowly. Had he thought Catherine just a prize? How much could he love a woman known for so short a time? And it all took place in Port Royale. Was that why her father lived a short sail away? Memories?

“...sorrier to tell you she died when I was young, my third summer. Blevins said...Blevins said my father was never the same, after that. It’s how I came to be raised on the seas, but I wonder how long he would have bothered remaining out here, had she lived.”

Elise dropped her eyes to the table, quiet. After a moment, she did reach for another olive, shaking off the feeling of sadness as she was used to doing. She was usually too busy to spend time ruminating on things. She couldn’t afford weakness while captaining her own ship, and she certainly couldn’t afford it now.

“I don’t really intend on chatting up your crew, Captain Vale.” Elise said with a shake of her head. Not when they wanted to throw her overboard or hurt her. And now it turned out Vale had a personal vendetta with her father over a woman-her mother- and viewed it as her father having stolen her. She was already being used as a pawn-would he ultimately kill her to ‘steal’ something from his rival? If she did not escape or die fighting, would her father be killed trying to rescue or avenge her?

...God, what was she going to do? Her gamble might pay off, it might not, but she would rather be killed than cause her own father’s death. She owed too much to him, and loved him dearly.
 
Elise scoffed, shook her head about the love comment. “I can’t afford to be weak. Women fall in love and cast their lots to the flames. I'm a woman on the seas, captaining a ship full of men. Love would be folly, weakness-and weakness means mutiny, successful mutiny means death or...worse.”

She felt a little weird that this man was carrying around her mother’s portrait and hating on her father like this. “It doesn’t sound like a high worth the risks. The sea is enough for me.” Elise said without judgement, frowning at the necklace, his words. Look what it had done to him, after all.

“I don’t know what my mother wanted.” Elise said, closing the locket with finality and holding it back out to him. Her eyes were on his a moment, honest. “But I can tell you that if she had still wanted that while with him, my father would have taken her there. He loved her.” She didn’t appreciate the insinuation that he had been selfish. She may have been young when she died, but she knew how selfless he could be, would be for her...it only stood to reason he had been the same for her mother, his beloved wife, the past love of Captain Vale. And there were Blevins’ stories.

“If anyone kept her from Virginia, it was probably me.” She said with soft sadness. A baby could change things, certainly. Elise drained the rest of her mug, setting it down with the same air of finality, hardening her heart to her own musings, to his. Back to business.

“It won’t end with you retiring to Virginia. You won’t defeat my father. Even with me as a pawn, you cannot possibly expect to succeed, even if he has been retired these past few years.”

She sounded assured, confident of this. “It took you three ships to sink me, and cost you one of them. My father is a better sailor and captain than the both of us combined. You will not kill him. Me, maybe, but not him.” Even if she had to remove herself from the equation, should it come to that.
 
Elise's eyes narrowed. "It's a rank in most parts of the world. I have more than earned it. Deny me the title all you'd like, I know who-" Her eyes bored into his, strength of will and temper. "And what I am."

"This really is your fault after all."

Elise's face darkened. She wouldn't argue her father's competency further. Let him think himself a step ahead of her old man. Let him think she was incompetent. It would make it better when he found himself on the wrong end of a sword-either hers or her father's. God...she hoped her father was smart about this, didn't let emotions cloud his judgement. Surely not. But Elise was prepared to sacrifice herself if it came to it.

"I might be able to be persuaded however to stay his execution by the same woman who holds it now."

What the hell did that mean? Was he trying to coerce her? He certainly was a bastard, this Vale.

He came around the table and Elise rose to her own feet without accepting his hand. She didn't want to touch him anymore than she wanted to play his games. She'd eaten a few olives and drank the ale, but left everything else untouched-a mixture of guilt and defiance. "Well, lend me a sword and I'm sure I can be very persuasive." She said in a tightly controlled, neutral tone. And then he asked her about dancing, those vivid eyes briefly surprised and confused. What the...what the hell?

Elise felt trepidation, an inkling of danger. What was his game? Why did he constantly flip between insults and civility? Did he think her an addled minded fool? Was it her gender? Was it a game?

"No, and I don't aim to do so now with a man who continues to insult me." She responded slowly, wanting to step back away from him-but forcing herself to remain in place, back straight and her jaw set. He was much taller, much bigger than she was-her head was tipped back to eye him steadily, and while he did tower over the petite blonde captain-you would have thought it was she who stood over him. "...I could be wrong, but I don't think you'd ask another man that."
 
Yes. 'Humor' the Captain. He would probably very much appreciate it if she 'humored' him all the way to bed.

Bastard.

Elise's eyes widened at the end of his words however. Wait-what? Was he proposing a duel? Was he mad, or did he think so little of her skill? Maybe he thought Blevins did all the heavy lifting on her ship?

...good. Maybe that was good.

Cautiously, Elise moved ahead of him, forgetting her coat entirely and stepping outside the quarters, following after him with no small amount of confusion-even if she kept her face carefully passive, neutral. Without the jacket and with that loose shirt no longer tucked in to poof out and keep her femininity hidden-the fact she was a woman, and a pretty one, was plain to see, even if not scandalously revealed.

He disarmed his first mate.

Elise's heart picked up pace, the Captain thinking fast and hard about this turn of events. Blevins was locked up below decks, but the men had hesitated when she held their captain at gunpoint, earlier. Could it really be so easy to take the ship?

Doubtful...but perhaps not impossible.

"Our dear lady Avery... oh... wait... former Captain Avery, believes she can best me in a fight of the sword." His men laughed at that, most of them. Elise felt her face burn, glaring death into Vale. Sure. Friendly duel.

Her delicate features were drawn into a scowl, eyes flickering to the sword by her side, the gathered, watching men, the waves-and then Captain Vale himself, who sought to make a fool out of her.

"Tortuga? I thought we were going to-nevermind." Well, that put a serious dent in her plans. Of course-that's why the empty waves, he had sent his other ship. Smart. Bad news for her, but smart.

She drew the sword. He was several paces away, she would be able to do so before he could stop her for not placing her 'wager'. She had not missed his wandering gaze. Elise saw her own reflected gaze in the metal, her lips pursed and expression grim, thoughtful.

There would be a duel whether he liked her wager or not. Question was-did she kill him? She had no doubt she could. She was less sure of winning a drawn out duel. There was a reason she was so ruthless-at her size and being a woman, she had to be. Not to mention-she was exhausted. The attempt to flee the ships, the naval battle when she was finally forced to fight that doomed fight...she was worn down, worried for her father, worried for HERSELF, if she let herself think about her situation, and unwilling to wager anything she couldn't afford to lose. Still-her swordplay was nothing to discount.

But Blevins was below decks. He had told her that if she saw a chance, she was to take it-but...but she couldn't. Her own life she was willing to wager-kill or hold the captain hostage and if that failed-kill as many as she could before she was murdered. Force them to kill her, rather than hurt her. But Blevins...she could not risk them killing her father's old friend, her old friend.

Those brilliant eyes lifted to him, taking up her stance. "If I lose, you are more than welcome to slit my pretty throat." She blared, twirling the sword in her left, dominant hand. "That's the only wager I offer, but don't get your hopes up." She did not wait to see if he accepted terms. She had a sword, and she intended to use it.

They circled, and then the fight was on with a clang of metal on metal. Captain Vale was the stronger of the two and had better reach, but Elise was very, very fast and had quick, sturdy footwork. She was used to fighting with a rapier, but the sword was doing her just fine-she was skilled, darting in and away like that. He might be surprised at just how skilled! She knocked his blade wide and thrusted only to have to duck a swing, the two opposing captains circling one another, their arms and swords a blur and the sounds of metal, exertion, and taunts.

Were they fighting to the death, Vale might even get the notion that Elise would have already won. As it were, however-the smaller captain was starting to lose steam after a long bout of fierce fighting. They were both tiring, but she was weaker than he was given her gender-and starting to lose ground, still managing to parry, block and occasionally drive him a step back-but rapidly being backed towards the railing before-!

With a short hissed sound of pain her hand and part of her wrist were slashed, the sword dropping out of her hand only to be kicked aside by Vale. Before he could bring his sword to bear on her again, however, Elise curled her bloodied fist and with an enraged cry she threw herself at him, crashing into his chest and taking him down to the deck, his own sword lost to him as she rose up, her knees on either side of his chest-and decked him straight in the face. Once, twice-and then he caught her delicate wrists and used his superior strength and size to pin her to the deck instead, switching their positions with a red faced, angry curse from the woman.

Avery's daughter had fought hard and valiantly, but without the option to kill her prey, had lost the hard fought battle.
 
She growled, pulling hard at her hands, arching her back to try and get him off of her-but it was no use. Out of breath, angry, and having lost, she gave a begrudging nod.

He rose up, and Elise came quickly to her feet, holding her injured wrist and glaring at the gathered crowd of pirates, their banter not sounding much in her favor, that was for sure. She had lost. She doubted he would really kill her-she was a pawn to be used against her father, a hostage. If he did, she supposed he did. Better than the alternative.

"Captain, you didn't agree to her wager before she attacked."

Her pretty eyes narrowed on the first mate before shifting back to Vale. "You implied acceptance by fighting a spar instead of a battle to the death." Elise protested, somewhat...weakly, she'd admit. Should have killed him. There would have been no issues with wagers, then.

She realized Blevins was on deck now. What the hell-who had brought him up here? Why had they brought him up here? He would know she hadn't taken her chance, now. He'd know she was allowing herself to be controlled. Blast it all.

"You get to do what you wish with her now... Captain."

"The HELL he does!" Elise backed up a step subconsciously-and was immediately furious with herself for doing so. Vale smiled at her, and Elise began to feel a bit of panic, even if she kept it from her face, her body language as best she could. Her heart was pounding in her chest, her pulse loud in her ears. What did she do? She knew this had been a possibility, and she...she couldn't give in to fear. She would not.

The way behind her around the railing was clear. She could dart around it and jump overboard, swim down and down and down-no one would be able to catch her in time, not with enough air to resurface themselves. Drowning would be preferable. Or did she bide her time and tear his throat out with her teeth, should it come to it? He wouldn't hurt her. None of them would fucking hurt her. But what if he gagged her? How would she stop him then?

Vale threw a sword in her direction, the blade thunking into the deck and vibrating with a twang. Was this his final taunt? Giving her a weapon to try and ward off what he thought was inevitable?

She'd kill him. His guard was no doubt down having won the duel, but she would best him in a fight to the death, go down in blood and violence. Blevins would not blame her. He looked pale and dreading even now.

And then Captain Vale finished his wager-and Elise blinked, briefly struck dumb. Wait-what? "And help you kill my father?" She said incredulously.

Her eyes fell to the sword, then flickered back to him, trying to decide if he was toying with her or not. Blevins gave her a stern nod, and Elise straightened from her lowered, brawler stance, a frown. He was serious. Fine. She would play his game, for now. At least he was treating her like a capable pirate instead of a silly girl playing captain. Or maybe he was still making fun of her. She wasn't sure which.

She stepped forward and took the sword in her bloodied, stinging hand, hesitant only a moment longer before she gave a curt nod. "Have it your way, Captain." The word felt a little bitter in her mouth, calling him that not as a honorific, an equal-but as a superior. "But I should like to sleep in the brig, the key on my person." Not in the hammocks with the men-there were mixed stares about this development and it made her uneasy. They might not dare to challenge him openly, but she didn't want to wake with a knife in her ribs, or be forced to kill someone and have Vale toss her overboard.

"...if that would be alright." She added uncertainly. She was hardly in a position to make demands.
 
Oh, she was sure he’d love that. Elise scowled. “Guess I’ll take my chances, then, given you’ve made your orders so very clear.” She had no intention of sleeping in the hammocks. She’d find a place in the hold and rest up there, however uncomfortable it might be. She’d stay on deck until a good moment to slip away unseen. She was small enough she could find a place, she was sure. A light sleeper, too, thankfully.

Her eyes swept the crowd, hardened. “Hopefully, Captain Vale, I won’t be forced to gut anyone who tests me.” Her tone and eyes were threatening and serious. It made more than a few men step back with widened eyes. She had a way about her to inspire fear, it seemed. She had run a tight ship herself.

Those that remained staring at her hungrily unsettled her, deep in her heart where she refused to acknowledge it-but if Vale’s grip on his men was loose enough they would disobey his orders-perhaps she could take the ship after all.
 
Elise had spent a bit of time leaning against the bars of the brig, informing Blevins about their destination-Tortuga, not Port Royale, and the kink it put in their plans. He was initially angry she hadn’t killed Vale during the fight, but Elise pointed out that without being close enough to also quickly kill the first mate, she doubted she could take control of the rowdy pirates and ship. The men seemed rather loyal to Vale.

He thought her wise for not staying in the Captain’s quarters, but was also anxious she’d been denied staying in the brig, where she could lock herself safely in and with her first mate to keep watch. She had scouted out a good hiding place in the Cargo hold-or what she hoped was a good hiding place, anyway. Unbeknownst to her, a certain pirate used it to skimp work.

Exhausted and unable to keep awake for a third night in a row, she bid her first mate a good night and slipped into the dark of the ship to the selected hiding place-leaning her back into the kiddie corner of two crates close to the hull of the ship, she rested her sword on her knees and tried to rub a kink out of her neck. She’d left her coat in the Captain’s quarters by mistake-and it was unfortunate, because it was rather cold down here-but she was tired enough to drift off anyway.

She was only asleep for an hour or so when she subconsciously heard the scrape of a boot nearby. Elise came back to her senses, admittedly a little groggy from sleep deprivation-and was alarmed to find three men turning the corner, stealthy as foxes but bearing a dim lantern.

She burst into action, getting only halfway to her feet before she was violently backhanded, knocked briefly down and against the crate where her head slammed painfully against the heavy wood, the woman dropping her sword. Someone grabbed at her delicate ankle and dragged her towards them, another man rounding around to step on her arm-Elise cursed foul, fiery oaths as she fought for her life, driving her other boot violently into the face of the man who had a hold of her ankle, free hand reaching up to dig painfully into the back of the man’s knee who stood on her arm. Having staggered them both she rolled sideways onto all fours, needing the sword she’d dropped by the crate- but then she was grabbed by the back of her shirt, yanked up before being slammed into the crate again, the pirate Captain stomping on the toes of the man’s boot.

This wasn’t enough, fist fighting them. She needed to fucking end this. Turning around only for the collar of her shirt to be seized, a ripping sound as it was torn open, Elise slammed back into the crate, this time the wind knocked out of her with an ugly wheeze. Damn it all to hell, this wasn’t going to go down like this-Elise brought her knee flying up into his groin. She abandoned the sword, the petite captain climbing up on the kneeling man and stomping off his shoulder to scramble over the crate, land heavily on the other side of it-and fleeing in the dark. No sword-but she had stolen a dagger from Vale’s quarters, earlier. It was tucked into her boot-he hadn’t even noticed. Little had she known he’d later give her a damned sword, but still.

She burst through the doorway and found several other men on that side of it. They seemed shocked but not immediately hostile-though Elise didn’t wait for them to decide which way the wind was blowing.

“Move!” Someone reached for her and she instantly had him by the hair, yanking him downwards to collide with the knee that flew up to meet him. Once, twice-blood and teeth and a broken nose before she shoved him into the others-drawing the dagger from her boot and turning to violently slash the throat of one of her pursuers.

It shocked them all-a woman had just killed a man. Bloody fucking fools-she was a goddamned pirate, and she wasn’t going to let them rape or kill her. She managed to burst through the rapidly growing crowd, the circle tightening around her as two of what she assumed were her original attackers also burst through, entering the circle with intent gleaming in their eyes. “Come on then!” Elise blared, her heart pounding. “Meet your death, you bloody damned pigs!”

One charged her and she neatly side stepped, elbowing him hard in the back-before stabbing into the chest of the other, withdrawing-and slicing his neck too. The tide was increasingly against her-the men’s shock wearing off as she turned to face the last-Bills, but he was backing away from her, finally seeing her as the threat she was.

“Do you understand? None of you. none of you stand a chance if you do anything less than blow my damned head off.” How many of them could she kill? She had to be dangerous enough they gave up thoughts of rape-though many of these men probably had no intention of that, given what had happened to two of their number. They no doubt would expect her to go for their eyes. Someone unlocked Blevins cell, the crowd parting-shit. God damned Vale, not honoring her request-

Elise darted a hand into the crowd, grabbing hold of a man and practically throwing him to his knees, surprisingly strong for such a smaller woman. She had a knife to his throat, standing behind him with her hand gripping his hair, standing on the back of one of his calves just as guns were drawn on her first mate. Blevins looked furious, murderous even. She had no doubt that given the chance, he’d strangle someone with his chains. Men were shouting, some angry, some more than a little panicked-and then they started demanding she surrender, or it was Blevins’ head that would be blown off.

The two holding him hostage seemed to give a damn about the man she had yanked from the crowd-someone who looked to hold some sway.

“Don’t you dare Captain, don’t you dare put that blade down-” Blevins voice boomed through and over the others, and he was right-she didn’t dare.

And then Vale showed up. Elise was relieved to see him-and then angry as hell about it, because she hated Vale.

They tried to lie, and Elise said nothing, just a growl-but she looked rough.Her shirt was torn open and hung off one shoulder to reveal a flat, soft, fair skinned stomach and shoulder, a delicate collar bone-and that her chest was bound, wrapped in a long strip of cloth to help conceal, her gender. Her long blonde hair was coming half undone from its braid and her eyes were angry, wild-and more than a little cornered, panicked looking, even if she kept an angry, murderous expression on her face, hid her fear. Clearly, they had put her through no small amount of trouble and she was merely retaliating.

Vale wasn’t fooled-he addressed her directly, but she didn’t budge. She...she wasn’t sure he wouldn’t feed her to the wolves, revenge against her, her father-or plain cruelty. She had killed two of his men, after all. Rapists, but dead all the same.

But then he sent Bills to be hanged, threatened the lot of them. Blevins was released. She briefly didn’t know what to do. She didn’t trust him. She was used to protecting, defending herself and ruthlessly so-and needing the protection of...of some man didn’t sit right with her, might not be wise.

But he was right. He could face a mutiny. She was exhausted, she was hurting, and now she was afraid to sleep. One man was better than a shipful of them-she could fend him off, if she needed to. Somehow, she almost believed he wouldn’t try to hurt her. She’d sleep on the floor, and at least there’d be a locked door.

“I...I want to keep the knife.” Her voice had lost the fire and the dangerous quality, sounding almost...well. She was not having a good time, was she? “I want either you or me to have the only keys to the brig.” She was so tired. To make these sound more like requests, she released the second mate, staggering back a little, a hand to her aching head. “Please Vale...Captain. I surrendered on the condition of his safety.” And she was afraid to be unarmed. She was too small to end threats on fisticuffs alone-though she had downed another man without knifing him.
 
It also wouldn’t have happened if you had let me lock myself in for the night. Elise thought angrily but she bit back on the words. She had insulted him in front of a few men earlier, calling him Lady Vale-but she wouldn’t openly disrespect him in front of his entire crew. That would be a foolish gambit, and were their situations reversed-she knew what she herself would do to reassert her control.

She had released the second mate already, but still held the knife, still looked to be on the offensive-when Vale addressed her again. It was calling her captain that did it. He had the keys to Blevins cell, he was allowing her to keep the weapon-her father’s weapon, apparently-and seemed genuinely impressed with her.

But it was calling her captain that truly convinced her that, in the very least-she need not worry for her safety tonight, should she go with him. He would be able to see the surprise and even the mild appreciation for the courtesy-the shift in her suspicions. She still didn’t trust Vale, exactly-he still wanted to murder her father, and very possibly her to finish his revenge-but she believed him when he assured her she would be safe to sleep in his quarters. He didn’t seem like a rapist, anyway.

Elise sheathed the weapon, some of the tension leaving her petite form. She had killed two men, wounded a third, and now the last of them was about to be hanged for the insult of disobeying his Captain and trying to hurt her. She ached from being slammed around but was, overall, in good health. It was lucky Vale showed up when he did, both for her and for his men. Elise had been prepared to go down fighting, and as she had evidenced-she was a woman to be reckoned with.

She frowned down at her ruined shirt, coloring slightly before she grabbed hold of one side of it and jerked it back up over her bare shoulder, holding the torn garment closed over her bound chest. She was lucky that was all they had managed, the shirt and the mild injuries to her head and face. She did not feel guilty for any of the damage she had caused in turn, for sure.

“On your honor.” Elise reminded him softly, both tired and a little wary- before following after the man she’d been accidentally confounding the past several months, beating to Spanish ships and envoys-the man apparently yearning to spill her father’s blood. Right now though, he was just a man who didn’t want to see her harmed, yet, and did not trust his men to leave her be. She was begrudgingly grateful for it-he was right. She was a woman on a ship full of men who would do her harm-and she could only kill so many of them, really.

Better to be behind a locked door, and thankfully-now only he had the key to Blevins' cell, no one could harm her first mate without his knowledge, either.
 
"Your men seem loyal, Charles." She used his first name because he was using hers, and then regretted it. That was entirely too informal.

She was so tired and wasn't entirely sure how she wanted to treat him at the moment. He was the enemy. He may like to pretend she was here on invitation but she was his captive. And yet he had honored her two requests and seemed resolved, in the very least, not to let her be raped and murdered on his ship. Despite herself, she spoke to him as she would have Blevins-informally and without command or subservience, an equal.

"I understand why you didn't expect them to disobey. Wouldn't have happened if you had let me lock myself into the brig..." She tried to feel angry but didn't, pulling the offered screen out somewhat, tugging off her ruined shirt now that his back was turned. In the window, he'd see her toned arms and more of that soft pale skin, how small and delicately boned she was. Fragile, bruised rib cage, a pretty collar bone. It was hard to imagine just by looking at her that she could command a ship full of rough and ready pirates. Even under the guise of a boy. But he knew she was capable. Clearly her father's daughter in grit and steel, even if she did resemble her mother much more so.

"But thank you for ending the situation. I mean, I would have killed as many of them as possible, so saved yourself some men there-" She quickly added, not wanting to be too soft, tugging a new, loose red shirt on over her head, wincing as the collar brushed her cheek.

"But...thanks." She said softer, a hint of genuine gratitude before shaking what little remained of her braid out as she sat back on the cot, brushing the long blonde tresses out with her fingers. Rebraiding with quick, graceful fingers-her left hand bearing cloth bandaging from where he had disarmed her, earlier.

She was so tired. So very, very tired. Did she want to see Bills hang? Not really, no. She'd trust he was a dead man, as Vale had said he would be.

"That's alright. I hope he strangles." She said darkly, not a shred of mercy for the would be rapist. She had slaughtered his accomplices and would have happily killed him herself, also-but he had been too cowardly to face her, at the end.

If he left and came back, he'd find her in the cot and tucked in under her large blue captain's coat, her boots neatly on the floor, missing the dagger-probably on her person. She was curled partially up and didn't take up much space, the coat held close over her form, the collar covering her nose and mouth. Long, light colored lashes matched her hair and looked pretty against her freckle dusted cheek bones.

She didn't look very tough, asleep. Young, innocent looking-a sleeping beauty.
 
Elise paused, the pirate captain sitting on one edge of her cot, coat not yet on but folded over the foot of it, one of her boots on, the other half on, her fingers still around one cuff of the leather, her blue eyes puzzled on Captain Vale, who had a knife drawn on air.

"...no?" Her soft voice answered, a tilt of her head before she went back to tugging the boot on the rest of the way. "Bad dreams, Captain? With Blevins in your hold, you have little to fear from me."

Must have been something else. The woman stood, throwing her coat on around her shoulders, the blue material dwarfing her. She looked like a young boy again, if a pretty one.

"I think you've docked in Tortuga." She continued conversationally. "Since I doubt I get shore leave-what would you have me do today? I can mend sails and do a little carpentry, help re rope your rigging." A shrug. "I'll do anything but clean or tend to your cannons, given who you intend to use them on."
 
Elise worked as hard, if not harder, than any man on his ship. She never complained either, no matter what the task was-and she excelled at anything she did, on top of that. There hadn’t been any further problems with the crewmen-it helped she could be so intimidating, at times. It also helped she pulled her weight, and that either Vale or Horstap always seemed to be in the vicinity. Keeping an eye on her both for tricks-and ensuring her safety.

Really, she was being treated better than she had had any reason to expect.

The second night she hadn’t spoken to Vale hardly at all. He spoke to her, but she would only made noncommittal sounds, a nod here and there. The third was much the same-but by the fourth he had told her a harrowing tale of sinking a pursuing French ship-and Elise had, surprisingly, shared one of her own. Heavily outgunned, she had boarded the opposing French vessel with only a handful of men-fighting their way through until she was able to force the opposing Captain to surrender at sword point. Her voice was pleasant and relaxing to listen to, so it was no doubt welcome in the confines of his quarters.

The fifth night, surprisingly, she joined him in perusing some maps, adding a few coves and coral patches for him, relating another story or two related to them. She was very knowledgeable, which made sense-she was a sailor and had captained her own ship.

But Elise was always somewhat guarded, wary despite these increasingly common bit sof conversation. She had lost much of the hostility, in the very least. Neither one of them mentioned her father, which probably helped.

By the sixth and seventh days, she seemed to be getting a little tense again-she was a hard woman to read at times, save those expressive eyes-but she was even quieter than usual both that night and the morning.

An hour or two before sunset, it would become a little clearer why--it was not the St. James that returned with news or a captured Avery-it was a small sloop and a handful of his crewmen from the his missing ship, bearing a letter.

They seemed terrified-for they had failed in their mission. Spectacularly.


”Dearest Charles,

I see you are doing well out on the seas, commanding several ships-well, one less than before, I hear. Alas, it pains me to inform you yet another ship has been lost to an Avery-I thank you for the gift, as my gold reserves have been dwindling, and purchasing one might have taken some doing.

I must decline your invitation to be a guest on your ship. I wouldn’t wish to trouble you. Instead, I shall sail out to meet you under my own power, as I deem appropriate. I have never sought your destruction. Even my actions here pain me, despite your hatred, despite your bloodlust.

But I have been told you have something of mine...something most valued and treasured. I know you are no monster, Vale, but I also know my daughter. She cannot have made things easy for you, captured alive.

Whatever has been or would be done to her, I shall ensure you receive treatment in kind-ten fold. My patience is at an end. I am coming for her-for you if I cannot reclaim what is mine, my flesh and blood. Sweet Catherine’s flesh and blood.

The young captain Avery is clever, Charles. Unlike my days of piracy, of terrorizing every crown and country that dares to sail-she has proven herself useful to the British Crown. Did you not wonder at her targeting of Spanish ships and Spanish ships only? She has a writ. She’s a privateer, and valuable in this war of theirs.

Port Royale was close to me, this was true. But did you think she would betray me, under any threat? It is no home of mine. More importantly-it is full of her allies. Word was brought to me, and to the Governor there. I am coming for you, Charles, and with a small armada of ships. Not one hair on her head, Vale. Not one hair. Pray you have not already done the unthinkable.

For no matter where you might hide or attempt to waylay me, I shall find you. I can only hope you are prepared as I make my last, final foray into the seas.

Good luck to you, Charlie. I shall regret having to finally kill you.

Captain Bartholomew Avery”


There was a second, sealed letter within the one addressed to Captain Vale-this one for ‘Captain Avery’

“My dearest daughter,

It was with both a proud and heavy heart to pass the Windblade onto you, to watch you grow into the sailor and leader of men that you are. It was not a life I wanted for you, but your love of the sea rivaled and even surpassed my own. I knew I could not stand in the way of it.

I feared for your safety always, but I knew you were as capable as the rest of them. You are worth ten of any pirates or sailors, Elise. But the sea is full of dangers, particularly for a woman, even a woman such as you. Your being exposed was my greatest terror.

I am so sorry my heart. So sorry you have paid for my sins. I have no illusions you yet live-and yet I am a weak man, weak enough to hope against hope you yet survive. If you are reading this, know I am in pursuit with guns and ships, as much as I know rescue will offend your pride.

And if the worst has happened...if you were made to suffer due to the sins of your father-I shall obtain the revenge I know you would have rained upon them all, had you lived.

For revenge or rescue sweetheart, Papa is coming.

Be at peace.”
 
Elise again wore the impassive mask as he read the letter, watched his face get redder and redder-now he knew. Her pretty eyes flashed not with temper but guilt-the barest of a flinch as he slapped the letter to her chest, not snatching it away-but catching it when he released it.

It was a letter for her, her name in her father's script. She held it tightly, set her jaw defiantly, and looked up to the taller Captain. "He's my father." Her tone was flat, yet still had the barest hints of emotion to it, of guilt. She felt no pleasure in her deception. She was... surprised and uncomfortable with how guilty she felt over it.

She tucked the letter in her coat, intent on reading it later. If she lived until later. Her brilliant blue eyes swept the crew as Vale spoke, the woman tensing within her oversized coat. He might make good on his earlier threats. She wasn't sure, didn't know.

Horstap wanted a word and the two men stalked off-leaving Elise on deck with a bunch of increasingly hostile men. She was still armed. The dagger, a sword. Her eyes followed a bigger fellow who was circling her, keeping his distance. "Nothing but an English whore, eh?"

"No, I am a Captain that made my men rich and kept them fed. Come closer, see which one of us is right." Her eyes gleamed mean and her tone was practically a growl. The big man hesitated, and suddenly Vale and Horstap were back, the first mate hustling the crew away and Vale towering over her, looking arrogant, mean, and hostile.

She bristled at his demand and the use of the word "woman".

"You were my enemy when I lied. Would you have given him up so easily?" She had mispoken. 'Were' an enemy? No, he WAS her enemy. Her father's enemy. These past few days, for a moment, she had nearly...forgotten? And the stories they had traded. Almost...friends.

But now here he was, no doubt ready to kill her or toss her to his men. What had her father written to him? What was he planning? What a fool she was to even have such thoughts-friends? She was a woman on the seas, she couldn't risk friends. Vale hated her father, and therefore her. Didn't he?

"Did you think me a coward, a weak willed woman who would betray her own father?"

Elise's eyes narrowed, utterly unafraid of him or any consequences for her actions. She was a sight-that defiant set to her jaw, the lift of her chin as she held his gaze, forced to look up at him given her petite height and frame. Her shoulders were square and her feet firmly planted. She was the picture of bravery. She looked much like her mother, but she had spirit and strength of will, hints of her father's bearing-and an altogether fire that was all her own.

She had protected her father. Whatever happened, whatever punishment Vale planned to dole out-she had done the right thing, remained loyal to the man who had taught her everything.
 
"I'm a pirate! You sunk my ship! Want to kill my father!" Elise burst, her own face reddening. "I owed you-" Owe, owe dammit- "Nothing but my ire, Vale! What honor would I have in the betrayal of my old man?" What had he expected? Was he angered at the lie, or angered that she had not confessed to it during their time together? Would he have?

Helped kill his own father? Risk rape at the hands of cruel men? Elise doubted it.

He intended to leave her first mate behind. This ship as a decoy? Would her father sink it without trying a boarding?

"You have no honor." Elise growled. "You pretend whatever you want-I was always your prisoner, a pawn in a game I had no part of, and now you kill Blevins through inaction like a coward."

Horstap had grabbed one arm and yanked her backwards, intent on fulfilling his orders. Elise ripped free and turned on him with a strike for his face-but Horstap was ready for her resistance, catching her wrist and kneeing her in the stomach. She was so much smaller than he was, after all-and wrenching her hands behind her back, he hauled her away.

//////////////////

Elise didn't even know how to feel, anymore. Blevins would either starve to death or drown in the brig. Vale could claim clean hands all he wanted-he had signed the man's death warrant all the same.

She hated him for it. She hated herself for thinking, even for a moment, that Blevins would survive, that Vale would keep his word. She should have shot him and fought to the death with his men. It would have surely been a better fate than whatever would happen to her now.

And exchanging stories, talking with him-how could she? He wanted to kill her father over a woman who could damn well make her own decisions. Did she think she could really what, be friends? Hell and rot, she had been a fool.

Elise ceased her pacing and finally fell against the wall in the corner, sitting there with her head in her hands. How could she have lost her ship but fail to die with it? How could she have let Blevins be killed? How could-she growled at herself. It did nothing to worry now. It was all forfeited.

She remembered the letter, and drew it out of her coat to read it.

By the time she was finished, she was even closer to tears. Her poor father. He was letting weakness and love cloud his judgement, was bent on rescue or revenge. Vale would exploit it. She doubted he could win against her father but...

Elise kissed the letter, a small moment of weakness of her own. She tucked it back away in an interior pocket, over her heart. No, she had done the right thing. Vale could think whatever he wanted-he was the enemy, and he had wanted her to be cowardly and traitorous to her father.

He had wanted her to choose to be loyal to him instead of Bart Avery.

She grit her teeth. He could rot. They could all rot. She would get out of this, either through death or escape, one way or another. And if he had really left Blevins on that ship? Gone against his word?

She would kill him, or die trying. He was determined to murder those she loved, and she wouldn't allow it to go unanswered.

Elise didn't sleep that night. She was anxious and worried-but also angry. It was an anger that kept her awake, kept her watchful, kept her planning an escape.
 
Back
Top