Seldom-Used Words

Status
Not open for further replies.
Xelebes, I love the etymology of words and obviously so do you, thank you for such an informative post. When I read the words, I could hear myself saying hymen for haeman and it all made a lot of sense suddenly. Ah, those light bulbs over the head that mark illumination...

That only works if you pronounce it like an Icelander of old (h-EYE-men). In Anglo-Saxon, it would be pronounced as h-A-mmen - the A as it CAT.

However, in the non sexual sense, it means to inhabit together or to share a room together - from the same root of home.
 
Is this from the same root? Hamesucken

From John Buchan's novel Castle Gay, penultimate chapter:

"Johnny and me," said Mr McCunn, "heard you using language which constitutes an assault in law. Worse than that, you've been guilty of the crime of hamesucken. You're foreigners, and maybe no very well acquaint with the law of Scotland, but I can tell you that hamesucken is just about the worst offence you can commit, short of taking life. It has been defined as the crime of assaulting a person within his own house. That's what you're busy at now, and many a man has got two years hard for less. Amn't I right, Johnny?"

"Ye're right, sir," said the policeman. "I've made notes o' the langwidge I heard, and I hae got you gentlemen as witnesses. It's hamesucken beyond a doubt." The strange syllables boomed ominously, and their echoes hung in the air like a thunderstorm. "Gie me the word, sir"--this to Mr Craw--"and I'll chairge them." Then to the five. "Ye'd better hand ower thae pistols, or it'll be the waur for ye."


I had thought that this was John Buchan's invention but:

HAMESUCKEN, Scotch law. The crime of hamesucken consists in "the felonious seeking and invasion of a person in his dwelling house." 1 Hume, 312; Burnett, 86; Alison's Princ. of the Cr. Law of Scotl. 199.
2. The mere breaking into a house, without personal violence, does not constitute the offence, nor does the violence without an entry with intent to, commit an assault. It is the combination of both which completes the crime. 1. It is necessary that the invasion of the house should have proceeded from forethought malice; but it is sufficient, if, from any illegal motive, the violence has been meditated, although it may not have proceeded from the desire of wreaking personal revenge, properly so called. 2. The place where the assault was committed must have been the proper dwelling house of the party injured, and not a place of business, visit, or occasional residence. 3. the offence maybe committed equally in the day as in the night, and not only by effraction of the building by actual force but by an entry obtained by fraud, with the intention of inflicting personal violence, followed by its perpetration. 4. But unless the injury to the person be of a grievous and material, character, it is not hamesucken, though the other requisites to the crime have occurred. When this is the case, it is immaterial whether the violence be done lucri causƒ, or from personal spite. 5. The punishment of hamesucken in aggravated cases of injury, is death in cases of inferior atrocity, an arbitrary punishment. Alison's Pr. of Cr. Law of Scotl. ch. 6; Ersk. Pr. L. Scotl. 4, 9, 23. This term wag formerly used in England instead of the now modern term burglary. 4 Bl. Com. 223.

A Law Dictionary, Adapted to the Constitution and Laws of the United States. By John Bouvier. Published 1856.



Og
 
Last edited:
Hamesucken comes from a cross of Old Anglo-Saxon and further infusion of Continental Germanic language - Hame = Home, Sucken = Seek.
 
So, I had to look up hymen,

Hymen - with a long e sound, is the name of the Greek God of marriage and hymen used to mean marriage.

There is another entry about the vaginal hymen fold.

And then hymeneal - nuptials, wedding hymn

So, is this the root of the word hymn I wonder.
 
So, I had to look up hymen,

Hymen - with a long e sound, is the name of the Greek God of marriage and hymen used to mean marriage.

There is another entry about the vaginal hymen fold.

And then hymeneal - nuptials, wedding hymn

So, is this the root of the word hymn I wonder.

Looing up the word hymn, I notice that they have the n silent. The n is silent?
 
hymn - from the Latin hymnus - song of praise, and the Greek hymnos; PAEAN, in which the praise is directed to Apollo in particular
 
In reading about French goat cheese, or Che'vre, which lead to the history of the Franks and, of course, Charlemagne, I found internecine warfare happening between his sons, grandsons and illegitimate sons.

internecine - marked by slaughter, DEADLY

and tonsure - to shave the head of

In this case, Louis the Pious' siblings, who had a claim to the throne, were tonsured and locked in a monastery until the hair grew back. I hope I got that right, my head is swimming with too many historical facts.
 
I found myself saying, "That's the clincher!" today and wondered about this phrase.

clincher - a decisive fact, argument, act or remark

Yesterday produced;

mazard - head or face

I have never read or heard that one. He had a mazard the size of the States with a forehead that rivaled the Great Plains. Now, that is a whopper!
 
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20602099&sid=an_jMkuLBE68

Exxon $600 Million Algae Investment Makes Khosla See Pipe Dream
By Kambiz Foroohar

June 3 (Bloomberg) -- Inside an industrial warehouse in South San Francisco, California, Harrison Dillon, chief technology officer of startup Solazyme Inc., examines a beaker filled with a brown paste made of sugar cane waste. While the smell brings to mind molasses, this goo, called bagasse, won’t find its way into people-pleasing confections.


Instead, scientists will empty it into 5-gallon metal flasks of algae and water. The algae will gorge on the treat -- filling themselves with fatty oils as they double in size every six hours, Bloomberg Markets magazine reports in its July issue.


Down the hall, past a rainbow of algae strains arrayed in Petri dishes, Chief Executive Officer Jonathan Wolfson shows off a gallon-size bottle of slightly viscous liquid. After drying the algae, wringing out the oil and shipping it to a refinery, this is the prize: diesel fuel that Wolfson says is chemically indistinguishable from its petroleum-based equivalent and which has already powered a Jeep Liberty and a Mercedes Benz sedan.

*****​
 
Nice addition, Trysail, I like a little knowledge sprinkled on top of my pursuit for vocabulary.

The origin of the word bugger:

bougre - French, originally, it was derived from the French word "Boulgrerie" ("of Bulgaria"), meaning the medieval Bulgarian clerical sect of the Bogomils. Bogomil means "He loves God" in Bulgarian.

So how does this relate to bugger, buggery and sodomy. It seems the Bogomil sect of the church did not believe in having lots of children like the Roman Catholics of the day, instead practicing a little sodomy as birth control. They were proclaimed heretics for that and several other reasons.
 
Neuston is the collective term for the organisms that float on the top of water ( epineuston ) or live right under the surface ( hyponeuston ). Neustons are made up of some species of fish, beetles, protozoans, bacteria and spiders. A water strider is a common example that skips across water's surface tension.


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neustonic
 
While reading about the huge wharf fire at St. Louis in 1849, where one steamship named White Cloud caught fire and ended up spreading to 22 more vessels and 15 city blocks before it was over, the word conflagration came up again. I find this word in older literature more often than modern.

conflagration - a large disastrous fire
 
OK...here's another con we don't hear very much.

concatenate verb to link together in a series or chain.
 
buxom - 1. obedient, tractable; 2. full of gaiety, blithe; 3. vigorously or healthily plumb, spec. full-bosomed

The last definition is the only one I knew.
 
Thalamium - a woman's chamber or bedroom. specifically in Greek homes.
 

Goddamnit to hell. It happened again. Sonovabitch. I'm loping along crossing the same damn bridge [ see below ] and I glanced down. What do I see? A big, fat pale green snake. Fortunately, it was— more or less— in my rearview mirror. Since I was on the way to my turnaround, I knew I'd only have to confront it on my return. On the way back, I stopped short of the bridge to warn a woman out walking a herd of dogs ( she had four [ 4 ] of 'em ). She knew all about it and was astoundingly nonplussed. Not only that, she then proceeded to ruin the rest of my day by informing me that there are three goddamned snakes living on the bridge.


"Snakes! Why is it always snakes?"
-Indiana Jones
Raiders of The Lost Ark




September, 2009



OPHIDIOPHOBIA

I have an established route for my run. Living, as I do, within a couple of miles of where I was born and raised and within several hundred yards of where my father was born ( quite literally, in his mother's bed ), I know the area and its topography well. I've walked, run, driven and ridden these roads and paths my whole life. I know who used to live in which houses, I know where they went to school, I knew their parents and I know where most of my schoolchums are even to this day. The woods and streams of my youth lie within the watershed in which I now reside.

My running route follows an abandoned railroad right of way. It passes a lake that was originally dammed to create a reservoir, then the site of an old gunpowder mill deep in the woods ( where the gunpowder used in the 1814 defense of Ft. McHenry { you know— Francis Scott Key, "The Star Spangled Banner" & all that } was manufactured ). Most of the rail has been removed from the roadbed and all that remains to mark it are crossties ( sleepers, for you Brits ) and ballast. The route continues upstream alongside one of the reservoir's feeder streams eventually crossing the stream on a wood trestle and reaching my turnaround point. A series of planks have been professionally laid and affixed across the wood trestle to permit a safe and easy transit by hikers and runners.

Two days ago, as I approached the trestle, I noticed a young man and woman staring at the outer section of the bridge. Usually when I reach the crossing, anyone who's standing on it makes an effort to clear a path. This time, however, the pair pointed and the guy said, "There's a snake there and I don't want you to get bitten." Those words were, of course, more than enough to stop me dead in my tracks. There's little in this world I hate and fear more than snakes.

I slowly approached the fellow and followed the direction of his finger. Sure enough, there in the hollowed end of a rotting timber, was a goddamned snake... and it was a fairly big one, too. As it was balled up, all I could easily and safely see was a fairly thick part of mid-section; it was a mottled brown and black and I guess it had a 2-3" circumference. I asked if they'd been able to identify the frickin' thing. At first they said it was a "garter snake" with an air of certainty, then they said "maybe it's a water snake" and finally they admitted they didn't have any idea what it was. I couldn't see its head and I was damned if I was going to get anywhere near enough to the thing to place myself within the fartherest imagineable striking distance.

It was a lovely cloudless day and I was running well. I wanted to continue my run but I was having visions of flashing fangs, timber rattlers and four puncture wounds. I considered that continuation meant running this particular gauntlet not just once— but twice. I was wrestling with all the nightmares I get whenever I encounter snakes. Lest there be any doubt remaining, let it be known that I really, really loathe the damn things.

I backed off a few steps and began considering alternatives. Would it be possible to leave the planked section in order to hop from timber to timber on the far side of the trestle, thus remaining well out of striking range? That would maximize the distance but I was also hearing potential snickering... "Hey, d'ja hear about that damned idiot fool ____; he fell off the bridge across the _____ while he was out running. The dope was trying to avoid a snake and damn near managed to kill his'self."

After at least a minute or two of considering all sorts of things, I started to get angry with myself. The odds of the thing striking me if I ran past the spot quickly really weren't all that high. I did have to admit that there was a small possibility that the snake had already been alarmed by the two others and might feel threatened. I reasoned that if I took a running start and sprinted, the odds were that— even if it was in "fight" mode— a strike would likely miss. I made my mind up; that's what I'd do. I'd just deal with a return crossing on the way back.

Fortifying my resolve with a minute's worth of nervous pacing, I asked the young woman to make way telling her that I intended to sprint past. I closed my eyes, put my head down and ran like bloody hell. With my heart pounding and adrenalin flowing, I ran past the spot as fast as I could. To my immense relief, I passed safely over.

On my return trip, I never even hesitated, reasoning that the best strategy was to pass by as quickly as possible with the least possible warning to my potential assassin.

The unfortunate truth is that I'm never going to be able to run across that damn bridge again without thinking about the possible presence of snakes.
 
Sometimes, Trysail, knowledge is HELL! Lol, thanks for the great guffaw!

guffaw - loud burst of laughter
 
confabulate verb to chat; to hold a discussion.

Interesting! I had to check the dictionary to see that you're indeed correct. I was aware only of the meaning number 3:

Main Entry: con·fab·u·late
Pronunciation: \kən-ˈfa-byə-ˌlāt\
Function: intransitive verb
Inflected Form(s): con·fab·u·lat·ed; con·fab·u·lat·ing
Etymology: Latin confabulatus, past participle of confabulari, from com- + fabulari to talk, from fabula story — more at fable
Date: circa 1604
1 : to talk informally : chat
2 : to hold a discussion : confer
3 : to fill in gaps in memory by fabrication
 
Good morning, All, and thanks for keeping this thread alive.

Near guffaw was

gumption - common sense, enterprise, initiative
 
Interesting! I had to check the dictionary to see that you're indeed correct. I was aware only of the meaning number 3:

Main Entry: con·fab·u·late
Pronunciation: \kən-ˈfa-byə-ˌlāt\
Function: intransitive verb
Inflected Form(s): con·fab·u·lat·ed; con·fab·u·lat·ing
Etymology: Latin confabulatus, past participle of confabulari, from com- + fabulari to talk, from fabula story — more at fable
Date: circa 1604
1 : to talk informally : chat
2 : to hold a discussion : confer
3 : to fill in gaps in memory by fabrication

Yes, and the term might perfectly describe life over at the SRP, where confabulation is the order of the day, with everyone writing stories together...
 
I like this part best, 3 : to fill in gaps in memory by fabrication

Don't we all to that to some degree with those gabs widening with the number of decades lived? LOL

gully - a large knife
 
micturate - pass urine, urinate

For some reason I came across this on Fetlife.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top