Help me understand Chyoo

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrayOldFart

Really Really Experienced
FYI: I have added more problems below, too. This first one is just the original hassle. I would love replies on each of tbem if you understand the Chyoo site.

So, here's the problem, and I'm hoping someone can help me. (I posted this problem in another thread, but I want to post it here because the other thread was a little off topic.
  • I signed up for Chyoo today and used it successfully.
  • Tonight, I can't get in. I am told over and over that my password is invalid.
  • When I use the "forgot password" link, I am told an email has been sent to my email service but it hasn't.
  • And the "Contact" link at the top of the the page is just the word "Contact", no link.
  • Help.

Second problem: There is contradiction in the various pages about whether or not my posts have been approved; and regardless whether they are or not, none of them are added to the lists of stories available for others to read or add to.

Last edited:
That's strange and annoying. The only advice I can give you is that the password is case-sensitive and that there doesn't seem to be any way in which to manually reset your password after you've reported forgetting it, even if you do manage to access your account again.
Basically, Chyoo is old, clunky and has not received any official support for more than six years.

The Contact link has never worked.

That's strange and annoying. The only advice I can give you is that the password is case-sensitive and that there doesn't seem to be any way in which to manually reset your password after you've reported forgetting it, even if you do manage to access your account again.
Basically, Chyoo is old, clunky and has not received any official support for more than six years.

The Contact link has never worked.

Does anyone have a site they use that works. I love the concept of Choose Your Own, but the Chyoo site just doesn't cut it.

And about tbe lack of support, yes, I only just realized that the "news update" about Chyoo3.0 was YEARS old. :(

I don't think so, someone posted a link to an erotic story wiki about a year back, but the problem with that was the lack of writer control.

To be honest, if there had existed an alternative I think most of us would have migrated to that site by now. Even in the shitty condition Chyoo's in though, you can still have a lot fun on it.

So congratulations, you've just gone through the classic newcomer ritual of initial excitement being replaced by staggering disappointment at the sorry state that Chyoo is in ;)

better never than late... or something like that

I know the log in is very picky about captial letters both in your name and your password. For a while early on I had Jakelyon, jakelyon and JakeLyon going. Took me a while to realize what I was doing wrong.

Try writing.com.
They have one Item called "Interactive Storys"
The main problem there is: You can sign up for free, but that limits the number of stories you can have in your portfolio to 5. If you want to start more stories, you must pay for a premium account.

I have a story in German there: http://www.writing.com/main/interact/item_id/1889386-Bloweg-vom-Land

You need a paid account to even start ANY Interactive Stories, so writing.com doesn't cut it.

I'm looking at Infinite-Story, but I don't know how active the site is, or if the "Mature Audience" community is large enough to warrant writing there.

You need a paid account to even start ANY Interactive Stories, so writing.com doesn't cut it.

You did something wrong at some point. Interactive Stories do come with the free membership of writing.com - I have a free membership and have several Interactive Stories. Also the capacity is 10 stories, and the only real downsides are the inability to block users from adding threads and emailing you, number of subsequent chapter restrictions, the inability to edit your own threads unless you're also the creator/editor of the story, and the fact that the story comes down when the user's account is closed.

The option on the right isn't a link, and it says,

"Creation and hosting of Interactive Stories requires a paid membership of Basic or above."

The option on the right isn't a link, and it says,

"Creation and hosting of Interactive Stories requires a paid membership of Basic or above."

Considering you only recently rejoined the forums after a nearly two year hiatus and have only talked about Infinite-Story, I'm retracting my previous statement. You didn't do something wrong, you've been hacked by an advertiser.

I just performed a writing.com taboo, gambling my own account and stories, and created a second account for the sole purpose of ensuring there wasn't some major change to the site. There isn't. With this seconds-old free account, I created an Interactive Story on writing.com and it went through. Also, I ran a Google search of that phrase and scoured through writing.com and found nothing like that quote concerning writing.com, so I don't know where you're pulling that or what "option on the right" you're referring to.

There's no reason you shouldn't be able to create an Interactive Story from your writing.com portfolio, so this insistence that you can't is only explained if you're not even trying to create an Interactive Story on writing.com, but that only explains the uninformed nature of the words, not the words themselves. The only reason you wouldn't exert the effort and remain uninformed is if you're intention is drawing people to Infinte-Story, and claiming writing.com is not a CHYOO alternative by saying only pad memberships have the ability to create Interactive Stories is being done to turn people away from writing.com.

I don't care if you want to draw a community to a site, but at least have the decency to do it honestly and not besmirch the good name of another site.

Considering you only recently rejoined the forums after a nearly two year hiatus and have only talked about Infinite-Story, I'm retracting my previous statement. You didn't do something wrong, you've been hacked by an advertiser.

I just performed a writing.com taboo, gambling my own account and stories, and created a second account for the sole purpose of ensuring there wasn't some major change to the site. There isn't. With this seconds-old free account, I created an Interactive Story on writing.com and it went through. Also, I ran a Google search of that phrase and scoured through writing.com and found nothing like that quote concerning writing.com, so I don't know where you're pulling that or what "option on the right" you're referring to.

There's no reason you shouldn't be able to create an Interactive Story from your writing.com portfolio, so this insistence that you can't is only explained if you're not even trying to create an Interactive Story on writing.com, but that only explains the uninformed nature of the words, not the words themselves. The only reason you wouldn't exert the effort and remain uninformed is if you're intention is drawing people to Infinte-Story, and claiming writing.com is not a CHYOO alternative by saying only pad memberships have the ability to create Interactive Stories is being done to turn people away from writing.com.

I don't care if you want to draw a community to a site, but at least have the decency to do it honestly and not besmirch the good name of another site.

I get the same message as razor when I hover over the Interactive Story link:

"Creation and hosting of Interactives requires a paid membership of Basic or above"

I think "Create Your Own Adventure", despite being a Wiki, is the way to go. It seems fairly robust? It isn't completely for adult stories, though. Maybe there should be an adult-only alternative?

I get the same message as razor when I hover over the Interactive Story link:

"Creation and hosting of Interactives requires a paid membership of Basic or above"

If you hover over an item you can't make, writing.com says "Upgraded Membership required for this Item Type," so I'm already calling bull shit. Add to it, I'm going to link:

http://www.writing.com/main/books/action/view/entry_id/697944

Under "Free Membership," it clearly says:

"Ability to create static items (up to 50K each), campfire creatives, interactive stories, product reviews, in&outs, madlibs, polls, word searches, quizzes, and crossword puzzles."

I don't know where you're pulling this stuff about not being able to create an interactive story, but there is proof you can.

I know what it says, but I don't find a way to do it.

Could you send me a link to where I can create one, so I can try it? Because otherwise, I think that description is out of date, and may be active only for old users. The actual link to start a new Interactive Story on the right side of the screen is grayed out with an error message for me, and him.

Attachments

• BrokenLink.gif
    BrokenLink.gif
    21.6 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
I think "Create Your Own Adventure", despite being a Wiki, is the way to go. It seems fairly robust? It isn't completely for adult stories, though. Maybe there should be an adult-only alternative?

I think that the priority should be a site that explicitly allows the adult content we're looking for. Blogger sites and the like often have special "no incest" requirements and the like. Most Wiki sites are relatively restrictive. That's part of why I'm increasingly leaning toward a single-page design for the story archives I've been working on. That, and it's easier to download/save them that way.

I know what it says, but I don't find a way to do it.

Could you send me a link to where I can create one, so I can try it? Because otherwise, I think that description is out of date, and may be active only for old users. The actual link to start a new Interactive Story on the right side of the screen is grayed out with an error message for me, and him.

Don't go on the right side of the screen, almost no one goes there since it's under an ad. Go to your portfolio (link on the top left), and at the top of the portfolio page it says "Create Item." Click it and you get an active link. Like I said, I made a fresh account and made an Interactive Story on it. The only outdated part of the site is that bottom right part you looked at.

Ah, you are correct.

Still, I think going with the Wiki seems like a better idea for branching off my Chyoo, unless there really is a significant "adult" presence at writing.com. All that appears to be in Adult/Interactives is transformation stories.

Last edited:
Ah, you are correct.

Still, I think going with the Wiki seems like a better idea for branching off my Chyoo, unless there really is a significant "adult" presence at writing.com. All that appears to be in Adult/Interactives is transformation stories.

Yeah, the content is pretty narrow, and the site isn't easy to navigate. editthis / CYOA seems like a decent Chyoo-type option if you manage your pages carefully, but I can't figure out how to create a new story.

Yeah, the content is pretty narrow, and the site isn't easy to navigate. editthis / CYOA seems like a decent Chyoo-type option if you manage your pages carefully, but I can't figure out how to create a new story.

To create a new story, you just go to the Adult section, edit the page, and copy-paste a new line in the story list. That's literally it; the empty link will be red, click on it to create that page.

You'll pick up the basics of Wiki editing along the way. Just make sure you include [[Category:MYUNIQUESTORYNAME]] on each and every page that is part of your story, or it will get deleted.

As for the Writing - Interactive stories, it looks like there's a lot of content, but such a poor interface and excessive content barriers that strangle out any possible editors and writers. Most Adult stories I looked at have no other authors but the original.

CYOA, on the other hand, is fairly straightforward, and it looks pretty active. There's only one active official moderator, but the site doesn't depend on him, and there's some control from the main editthis staff. The story "Rampage" has over 200k views of its initial page, and 4500 pages added since its launch. That dwarves CHYOO, doesn't it?

Last edited:
To create a new story, you just go to the Adult section, edit the page, and copy-paste a new line in the story list. That's literally it; the empty link will be red, click on it to create that page.

You'll pick up the basics of Wiki editing along the way. Just make sure you include [[Category:MYUNIQUESTORYNAME]] on each and every page that is part of your story, or it will get deleted.

As for the Writing - Interactive stories, it looks like there's a lot of content, but such a poor interface and excessive content barriers that strangle out any possible editors and writers. Most Adult stories I looked at have no other authors but the original.

CYOA, on the other hand, is fairly straightforward, and it looks pretty active. There's only one active official moderator, but the site doesn't depend on him, and there's some control from the main editthis staff. The story "Rampage" has over 200k views of its initial page, and 4500 pages added since its launch. That dwarves CHYOO, doesn't it?

CYOA will take some getting used to, but it does seem like a good option for back-ups. There's no visible TOS, but the site's uploaded content looks largely untouched.

Chyoo is deceptively simplistic. I've only archived around 1200 stories, but the total content of just those is well over 100,000 pages.

Edit:

Figured out how to make a story, and how to make a whole new Wiki.

After playing around a bit, I think that I'm going to set up a Wiki there for Chyoo backups and authors. I'll put up my archive files separately, and perhaps still do a single-page design setup for them. Whether or not anyone decides to use the site or files is another thing.

Last edited:
CYOA will take some getting used to, but it does seem like a good option for back-ups. There's no visible TOS, but the site's uploaded content looks largely untouched.

Chyoo is deceptively simplistic. I've only archived around 1200 stories, but the total content of just those is well over 100,000 pages.

Edit:

Figured out how to make a story, and how to make a whole new Wiki.

After playing around a bit, I think that I'm going to set up a Wiki there for Chyoo backups and authors. I'll put up my archive files separately, and perhaps still do a single-page design setup for them. Whether or not anyone decides to use the site or files is another thing.

Yeah, wiki formats are fairly straightforward, and while 98% of CYOA is for adult content, it may be better to make one that is purely adult focused, and displays things in a manner that makes sense for adult content or has room for reviews.

I like to think "If you build it (and let people know about it), they will come." CHYOO is a zombie of a site that despite all its issues, is fairly popular. CYOA is a wiki with a vague focus that somewhat buries its adult content, yet there are still tens of thousands of pages written there. If you make a site, get it going, and advertise it at its various locations, it will be popular.

Wikis are great because they're free and self-moderated, which avoids two of the popular problems.

Last edited:
Yeah, wiki formats are fairly straightforward, and while 98% of CYOA is for adult content, it may be better to make one that is purely adult focused, and displays things in a manner that makes sense for adult content or has room for reviews.

I just put up editthis.info/18plusstories/Main_Page

This Wiki code is new to me, so it'll be a bit before I can compile a guide that makes everything simple. For now, I'm going to put up some basic guidelines/standards and let people start signing up. If people like Torg join, I'll add them to the Mods usergroup.

I just put up editthis.info/18plusstories/Main_Page

This Wiki code is new to me, so it'll be a bit before I can compile a guide that makes everything simple. For now, I'm going to put up some basic guidelines/standards and let people start signing up. If people like Torg join, I'll add them to the Mods usergroup.

Personally, I think that the Wiki title should say something about it being a CYO or Interactive story. Makes things clearer from the main URL.

Personally, I think that the Wiki title should say something about it being a CYO or Interactive story. Makes things clearer from the main URL.

I chose the URL because of the intent of the site. It's not a generic CYO Wiki - it's explicitly about sexual content aimed at people who are over the age of 18. Moreover, original content might include story formats that don't directly fit the CYOA style that Chyoo and others have. There might be chained stories and the like - things that can be made clear in a Wiki but not on sites like Chyoo.

Plus, I like having the focus being on "story" rather than "adventure" when it comes to conjuring up images of what to expect. Stories bring up the idea of paragraphs of well-written text, whereas adventures needn't be so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back