How to bake yummy things for the holidays

Saucyminx

High heels and attitude
Joined
Jan 23, 2005
Posts
6,251
Since I've been stress baking lately--I've been tearing through a lot of recipes. RS needed some new cake recipes and I thought I would just throw them up here in case anyone else is also looking for something new to try.

So enjoy--and if anyone else would like to share, bring it on; the more the merrier. :)
 
My son's favorite and about as easy as it gets.

Really Good Orange Cake from Allrecipes
1 box yellow cake mix
3 oz instant lemon pudding mix
3/4 cup orange juice
1/2 cup oil
4 eggs
1 tsp. orange extract

glaze:
1/3 cup orange juice
1/4 cup butter
2/3 cup sugar

Grease a 10 inch bundt pan, preheat oven to 325 degrees. Stir together the cake and pudding mixes. Put in the wet ingredients, and beat for 4 min on medium speed. Bake 50 - 60 minutes.

While the cake is baking, make the glaze. Heat the OJ, sugar, and butter in a saucepan. Cook for 2 min, or until syrupy. Set aside to cool.

When cake comes out, cool for 10 min and remove from bundt pan. Pour some of glaze into the bottom of the bundt pan, then put the cake back in the pan. Drizzle with the rest of the glaze. Cover and let sit overnight. Serve with sweetened whipped cream.
 
Jo's White Christmas Slice Recipe

A 'rocky road' variation on the traditionally copha sweet.

500 g white chocolate, broken. (the higher quality the better!)
1 1/2 cups puffed rice.
100 g red glace cherries, halved.
160 g roasted, halved, almonds (can use pistachios instead for extra colour)
160 g sultanas
1 cup (90 g) desiccated coconut
1 teaspoon vanilla extract.

Read recipe all the way through. Wash hands. Line patty pans with patty pan papers. (If using patty pans, makes about 52 or so little balls - if a baking-paper-lined 20x30 cm tin is used as a slice, it allegedly makes about 40 slices.)

Cut up cherries, weigh out other ingredients. Weigh chocolate and break into small, even pieces. You can use this as a lesson on surface area to volume - the smaller the pieces are, the quicker they will melt. If they're evenish, they will all melt at the same rate.

Melt chocolate carefully in saucepan on lowest heat, stirring quickly. Be cautious - hot, sticky liquids can stick to your skin and burn you badly, for the fidgets.

Take off the heat and fold in the other ingredients quickly.

Spoon quickly into patty pans (or the chocolate will solidify) and fridge for four hours or freeze for one.

Makes a great gift for teachers! :)
 
Simplest recipe I know:

Call Minxy
Order holiday goodies
Wait by mailbox for delivery.

:D
 
Awesome thread!

Toasted Oat-Coconut Cookies

1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
1/4 cup shortening
1 cup sugar

1 egg
1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teapoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup flaked coconut
1/2 cup rice krispies
1/2 cup regular oatmeal, uncooked

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.

Cream butter and shortening in a large mixing bowl; gradually add sugar, beating well at medium speed of an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add egg and coconut extract; beat well.

Combine flour, baking powder, soda, and salt; stir well. Gradually add to creamed mixture, mixing well. Stir in coconut, cereal, and oats.

Drop dough by heaping teaspoonfuls onto lightly greased cookie sheets. Bake at 325 degrees for 12 to 14 minutes or until golden. Let cool slightly on cookie sheets; remove cookies to wire racks to cool completely
 
My mother browbeat this recipe out of the chef there about 50 years ago.

Waldorf Astoria Cheese Cake
Crust:
18 graham crackers
1/2 cup butter

Filling:
1 1/2 lb Philadelphia brand (or other good brand) cream cheese, softened
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp lemon juice
pinch salt

Topping:
2 cups sour cream
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grind the graham crackers into crumbs. Melt the butter and mix together thoroughly. Press into the bottom of a 10 inch springform pan.

Beat the cream cheese, and sugar until combined. Add the eggs, vanilla, salt, and lemon juice and beat until light and fluffy--about 2 minutes. Spoon filling into the graham cracker crust and smooth the top. Bake 45 minutes. Cool two hours.

Mix the sour cream, sugar and vanilla. Spoon onto cooled cheese cake. Bake 10 minutes at 325 degrees. Let cool completely before putting into the refrigerator. Chill in fridge for at least 6 hours before cutting.

It's a pain in the butt, but still my favorite cheesecake.
 
Light and fresh lemon cake

CAKE

1 1/3 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 cup fine sugar
4 eggs
2/3 cup sour cream
grated rind of 1 lemon
4 tbsp lemon juice
2/3 cup vegetable oil

SYRUP

4 tbsp powdered sugar
3 tbsp lemon juice

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease an 8 inch round cake pan.

Sift the flour, baking powder, and sugar into a mixing bowl.

In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs, sour cream, lemon rind, lemon juice, and oil together.

Pour the egg mixture into the dry ingredients and mix until evenly combined.

Pour the mix into the pan and bake for 45-60 minutes until golden brown.

Meanwhile, mix the powdered sugar and lemon juice in a small saucepan. Stir over low heat until it just starts to bubble and thicken.

When the cake comes out of the oven, prick the surface evenly and brush the syrup over it. Let it cool completely in the pan. Turn it over to serve.
 
Lemon Oatmeal Cookies

2 cups all purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/4 teaspoon salt

2 cups (4 sticks) butter *use REAL butter*

2 cups granulated sugar

2 teaspoons lemon extract

1/2 teaspoon minced lemon zest

3 cups (old fashioned rolled or quick) oats

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Sift the flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.

In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the butter and sugar. Beat until creamy white, for 8-10 minutes. With the mixer on low speed, add the lemon extract and lemon zest. Slowly add the sifted flour mixture until completely blended. Stir in the oats until blended.

Drop by teaspoonfuls on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes until very lightly golden. Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet.

Makes approx. 45 cookies.
***********

Note: These are super easy to make. I'm not a good baker, and even I can't ruin these. If the lemon and oatmeal in the title sounds a little iffy to you, try them anyway. They're delicious!
 
Tell me what graham crackers are?!

I actually sent a box of graham crackers to a friend in Australia quite a few years ago. It amazes me that you can't buy them there.

They're a deliciously sweet cracker, usually sweetened with honey or sugar.

250px-Graham-Cracker-Stack.jpg


graham_crackers.jpg
 
Thank you. So I could substitute for a Marie biscuit I'm thinking. So it's a biscuit really, crunchy, not a cracker? Over here crackers are savoury,usually salty.

I send big care packs to my friend in Texas. He loves Tim Tams, Vegemite (crazy there is an American that loves it!) and some of our chocolate bars and chips.

Well, this is what we call a biscuit:
Bacon-Bacon-Biscuit.jpg
(Only the bread part.)

I bet if you asked your friend, he'd send you some.

As an aside, when I sent the graham crackers to my Aussie friend, another forum that we were part of was having a cookie exchange for Christmas. We all mailed our cookies to one central person who redistributed them to the rest of us. She lived near Washington DC. Some of the cookies came from as far away as Alaska and Australia.

She mailed all the cookies at the same time. The woman in Alaska got her cookies at the same time as another woman from Florida and me. The girl in Australia got her cookies just a day later. Florida doesn't use the US Postal Service; we apparently still use the Pony Express - with the same ponies they used way back when. :rolleyes:
 
Maple Hot Chocolate

Winter treats don't have to be just cookies, cakes, breads, and pies. I promise that if you try this hot chocolate recipe just once, you'll never be able to drink hot chocolate made from a mix again. It's that good.

Maple Hot Chocolate
1/4 cup sugar
1 Tbsp baking cocoa
1/8 tsp salt
1/4 cup hot water
1 Tbsp butter or margarine
4 cups milk
1 tsp maple flavoring
1 tsp vanilla extract
12 large marshmallows

In a large saucepan, combine sugar, cocoa, and salt. Stir in hot water and butter; bring to a boil. Add the milk, maple flavoring, vanilla, and 8 marshmallows. Heat through, stirring occasionally, until marshmallows are melted. Ladle into mugs and top each with a marshmallow.

Makes 4 cups.
 
Rainshine, my wife who spent a little time down south where you live says the closest she can come up for graham crackers is Digestives. She is a bit of a foodie so I'd give it a try. What ever Digestives are they should be crushed into a medium to small size crumbs and then mixed with the butter. They should have a sweet taste and most likely the rest wont matter too much. Should they nor be sweet enough I'd add a bit of sugar to taste. Do not over power the filling with the crust.

Honestly I like the taste of the filling and the rest is not all that important to me.

I hope this helps a bit.

Mike
 
who knew there was a recipe out there

Here is the link to make your own graham crackers. I've never made it--but Alton Brown is usually a pretty good source. And though he is a total geek, I have a bit of a crush.

Here ya go if you want to go that extra step:

Alton Brown Graham Cracker Recipe
 
It also looks a little like a flat scone.

Biscuits in the states are a lot like scones, but less dense. And they come in flaky varieties, more crumbly varieties and in more bread-like varieties.

This is a great recipe for biscuits. I've been using it for years.

J.P.'s Big Daddy Biscuits (allrecipes.com)

2 cups flour
1Tbsp baking powder
1tsp salt
1Tbsp sugar
1/3 cup shortening (I always sub butter for this)
1 cup milk

Preheat oven to 425 degrees (220 C).
Combine dry ingredients. Cut in shortening (butter), until you get pea-sized pieces.
Add milk and stir until the dough comes away from the bowl.
Transfer dough to a floured surface and knead 15-20 times.
Pat out the dough until it is about an inch thick (you can make it thinner if you want. I usually do).
Cut out rounds with a biscuit cutter (I usually have a glass handy in whatever size I want the biscuits to be).
Place on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake 13-15 minutes or until lightly browned.

This recipe is super easy, and fast. It's always a tough call with me if I want butter and jelly on a biscuit or some thick, rich sausage gravy.

Mmmm....now I'm hungry and it's breakfast time....
 
Chocolate-Dipped Peppermint Sticks from : Country Living

Ingredients:
12 (5-inch) Peppermint Sticks
7 ounce(s) White Chocolate, melted
1/4 cup(s) White Nonpareils*


Directions:
Dip peppermint sticks, one at a time, into melted chocolate. Transfer to a baking pan lined with parchment paper.

Allow chocolate to set slightly, about 5 minutes. Roll chocolate end of peppermint sticks in nonpareils. Return to lined pan and let stand at room temperature until chocolate hardens.

*Nonpareils are the decorative balls of sugar, seen here:
peppermint-sticks-xl.jpg

photo courtesy of : countryliving.com



***​

Candy-Cane Marshmallows from : marthastewart.com

Yield : Makes sixteen 2-inch squares

Ingredients:
Vegetable-oil cooking spray
2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon light corn syrup
4 packages (1/4 ounce each) unflavored gelatin
3/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
2 large egg whites
2 teaspoons red food coloring


Directions:
Coat an 8-inch square pan with cooking spray; line bottom with parchment paper. Coat the parchment with cooking spray, and set pan aside. Put sugar, corn syrup, and 3/4 cup water in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring, until sugar is dissolved. Stop stirring; let mixture come to a boil. Raise heat to medium-high; cook until mixture registers 260 degrees on a candy thermometer.

Meanwhile, sprinkle gelatin over 3/4 cup water in a heatproof bowl; let stand 5 minutes to soften. Set the bowl with the gelatin mixture over a pan of simmering water; whisk constantly until gelatin is dissolved. Remove from heat, and stir in extract; set aside.

Beat egg whites in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment until stiff (but not dry) peaks form. Whisk gelatin mixture into sugar mixture; with mixer running, gradually add to egg whites. Mix on high speed until very thick, 12 to 15 minutes.

Pour mixture into lined pan. Working quickly, drop dots of red food coloring across surface of marshmallow. Using a toothpick, swirl food coloring into marshmallow to create a marbleized effect. Let marshmallow stand, uncovered, at room temperature until firm, at least 3 hours or overnight. Cut into squares.

For gift giving:
Place in a decorative gift bag or package them in small cellophane bags: Fold the top of each bag over once, and staple it shut. Use a small hole punch on either side of the staple. Thread a length of red twine (or ribbon) through the holes, and knot it in front. Pull one end through a gift tag, and finish with a bow.
 
Chocolate Chip Cheesecake
crust:
2 1/2 cups chocolate wafer crumbs
6 Tblsp butter, melted
filling:
6 oz chocolate, melted
1 1/2 lbs cream cheese, softened
3/4 cup sugar
4 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
4 eggs
2 Tblsp Kahlua
3/4 cup mini chocolate chips

Combine the melted butter, and chocolate wafers. Press into a 10 inch springform pan. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Beat cream cheese, and sugar until fluffy. Add the eggs, vanilla, and kahlua. Beat just until combined. Stir in the melted, room temperature chocolate, sour cream, and chocolate chips. Pour into crust. Bake 50 minutes. Let cool completely before chilling. Chill for 6 hours or overnight.
 
And a cake we only made during the holidays at the bakery

Chocolate Cranberry Torte
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
6 Tblsp butter
1 cup espresso
1 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh cranberries
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 eggs, beaten
1 tsp vanilla

filling:
1 cup heavy cream
2 Tblsp confectioners sugar
1/4 + 1 Tbsp framboise

frosting:
12 oz semisweet chocolate, chopped
1 Tblsp instant espresso powder
1/4 cup boiling water
6 egg yolks*
3 cups confectioners sugar
2 cups butter, softened

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease and flour 2 9 inch cake pans. Mix the cocoa and butter into the hot espresso. Set aside. Toss the cranberries with 1/2 cup of flour and set aside. Combine the remaining flour, soda, and sugar. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the liquid espresso/chocolate mixture, alternating with the buttermilk. Beat in the eggs and vanilla until smooth. Fold in the cranberries and divide the batter between the 2 pans. Bake 25 - 30 min or until it tests done. Cool in pans 10 min and remove from pans. Cool to room temp. Wrap and freeze. (Helps with cutting.)

frosting:
Add espresso powder to boiling water. Melt chocolate in espresso mixture. Beat the egg yolks, and sugar until creamy. Slowly add the chocolate mixture. Slowly add the butter until blended. Beat in enough sugar to make manageable frosting.
*If you are uncomfortable using the egg yolks, up your butter 4 Tbsp, and use more sugar to make it a bit stiffer. The yolks do add a great richness and mouthfeel though--just sayin.

filling and assembly:
Thaw cakes 10 minutes.
Combine heavy cream and confectioners sugar in a bowl and beat until soft peaks. Add 2 Tbsp framboise and beat to stiff peaks.
Using a serrated knife, slice each cake into 2 layers. Sprinkle cut sides with remaining framboise. Spread the first layer with frosting. Place second layer on top. Spread with filling. Place third layer and spread with frosting. Place top layer and spread top and sides with remaining frosting. Garnish with rosettes and candied cranberries.
 
Best Rumcake Ever

Rum Cake

Servings: 8

Ingredients:
2 qt Rum
1 c Butter
1 ts Sugar
2 lg Eggs
1 c Dried fruit
Baking powder
1 ts Soda
Lemon juice
Brown sugar
Nuts


Instructions:
Before you start, sample the Rum to check for quality. Good isn't it? Now go ahead.

Select a large mixing bowl, measuring cup, etc. Check the Rum again. It must be just right. To be sure the Rum is of the highest quality, pour one level cup of Rum into a glass and drink it as fast as you can. Repeat.

With an electric mixer, beat 1 cup of butter in a large fluffy bowl. Add 1 seaspoon of thugar and beat again. Meanwhile, make sure the Rum is of the finest quality. Try another cup. Open second quart if necessary.

Add 2 arge leggs, 2 cups of fried druit and beat till high. If fruit gets stuck in beaters, just pry it loose with a drewscriver. Sample the Rum again, checking for tonscisticity.

Next, sift 2 cups of pepper or salt ( it really doesn't matter). Sample the Rum again.

Sift 1/2 pint of lemon juice. Fold in chopped butter and strained nuts. Add 1 babblespoon of brown thugar (or whatever color you can find). Wix mell. Grease oven and turn cake pan to 350 gredees. Now pour the whole mess into the boven and ake.

Check the Rum again, and bo to ged.

Sappy Frolidays....

:D
 
Thank you. So I could substitute for a Marie biscuit I'm thinking. So it's a biscuit really, crunchy, not a cracker? Over here crackers are savoury,usually salty.

I send big care packs to my friend in Texas. He loves Tim Tams, Vegemite (crazy there is an American that loves it!) and some of our chocolate bars and chips.

I've used Marie bickies for all my cheese cakes. Oh except the white chocolate one that called for choc ripple bickies.
 
Since Mr. Nipplemuncher silly pants posted the funny rum cake--here is a real one. :)

Italian Rum Cake
2 cups sifted cake flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup orange juice
3 Tblsp rum
8 Tblsp butter
1/4 tsp almond extract
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 cup sugar
2 eggs, separated
zest from 1 orange

Rum filling and chocolate filling:
1 Tblsp gelatin powder
3 Tblsp cold water
3/4 cup rum
3 cup heavy cream
3/4 cup confectioners sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 oz semisweet chocolate, melted and cooled

Frosting:
2 cups heavy cream
1/4 cup confectioners sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease and line 4 9" cake pans. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt and set aside. Combine orange juice and rum, and set aside. In mixer, cream butter until fluffy. Add vanilla and almond extracts, and 3/4cup sugar, (reserve remaining 1/4 cup). Beat until creamy. Add egg yolks, beat well, scraping down the sides. On lowest speed, add dry ingredients, alternately with orange juice/rum mixture, beginning and ending with the dry. Remove from mixer, and stir in the orange zest.

Beat egg whites until they thicken sightly, and gradually add the reserved sugar. Beat until stiff but not dry. Fold gently into the cake batter. Turn into prepared pans and spread until level. Bake 20 - 25 minutes or until it tests done. Cool 10 min and remove from pans. Cool completely.

Rum filling:
Sprinkle gelatin powder over water and let sit for 1 minute or until softened. Microwave for 20 - 30 seconds and stir until dissolved. Let cool completely.

Beat 2 cups heavy cream, 1/2 cup confectioners sugar, vanilla, and 1/4 cup rum until the cream barely starts to thicken. Quickly stir in cooled gelatin and beat until firm enough to be used as filling. Do not over beat.

Chocolate filling: Melt chocolate and cool completely to room temperature. Beat the remaining 1 cup of cream and 1/4 cup confectioners sugar until firm peaks form. Take out 1/4 of filling and stir into chocolate to lighten. Gently fold into remaining cream until combined.

Frosting: Beat heavy cream, sugar, and vanilla until stiff enough to frost cake.

Assembly:
Level your layers if necessary. Put one on cake plate or stand. Brush with rum. Spread with half of rum filling. Place 2nd layer, brush with rum. Spread with chocolate filling. Place 3rd layer, brush with rum. Spread with remaining rum filling Top with remaining layer. Brush top and side of cake with rum. Frost with sweetened whipped cream frosting. Chill at least 2 hours for fillings to set. Keep chilled until ready to serve. Refrigerate any leftovers.
 
Back
Top