"Duck Dynasty" star banned from show for anti-gay comments

First....Texas did not adopt Common Core so they are free to do as they wish. Only 45 states did, and some are pushing back.

As for not having a choice....that is completely incorrect. Parents are perfectly free to pull their children from public schools and either put them in private schools that do not adhere to Common Core or homeschool them. There are ALWAYS choices if people look hard enough.

And in a sensible world those options would be taken away. One nation, one standard. Just like with anything else your free to go above and beyond but they should know the basics. That's one of the problems with private school but fortunately it doesn't seem to happen much in reality.

And in a sensible world those options would be taken away. One nation, one standard. Just like with anything else your free to go above and beyond but they should know the basics. That's one of the problems with private school but fortunately it doesn't seem to happen much in reality.

You're

Cracker Barrel Apologizes To ‘Duck Dynasty’ Fans For Momentarily Respecting Diversity
BY ZACK FORD ON DECEMBER 23, 2013
Cracker Barrel thought about pulling Duck Dynasty products so as not to offend customers, but then apologized for offending customers who have defended Phil Robertson's racist and homophobic remarks.

Agreed, and We home-schooled our son until he was in middle school.

That was your only issue with what he posted? A typo?
That's fucking weak even for you Faneros. :rolleyes:

Cracker Barrel Apologizes To ‘Duck Dynasty’ Fans For Momentarily Respecting Diversity
BY ZACK FORD ON DECEMBER 23, 2013
Cracker Barrel thought about pulling Duck Dynasty products so as not to offend customers, but then apologized for offending customers who have defended Phil Robertson's racist and homophobic remarks.

Figures. Cracker Barrel probably has more complaints of their organization being racist or bigoted on record than any other of its kind in the U.S.

I'll link to some old stories if necessary.

Figures. Cracker Barrel probably has more complaints of their organization being racist or bigoted on record than any other of its kind in the U.S.

I'll link to some old stories if necessary.

Scorecard for the week:

The forces of good won in New Mexico and Utah, they won Cracker Barrel.

Just the overwhelming majority. If it was an amendment it would have passed. Honestly those hold over states aught be simply isolated. No entry into colleges (with public funding) since their scores are no longer applicable to the rest of the system and call it a day.

If you transfer or move from one of those states you have to test your way back up from the first grade on too.

Let me preface this with something I hinted at earlier. You're not against CC, because you obviously don't know what it is. You're against this simply because you're a die hard bigot.

I did mention math. Much fewer multiple choice questions.

The option on what to read has always been the teacher's. That has nothing to do with CC. CC doesn't dictate what is to be read. No standard does.

You're not talking about an actual assessment, you're talking about learning scales and a pre-test. The learning scale is so the teacher & student can see growth. This is a Marzano thing, not CC. A pre-test is done so the teacher knows what material needs to be covered. Your doctor doesn't just blindly give you pills, they ask questions to gather information first. That's what a pre-test is and it's also not a CC thing.

It's very possible your child's workbook is not aligned to CC.

What are you actual complaints about the standards themselves?

I know you really want to be right here, but as I have been fighting this for awhile, I do know what I am speaking of. I am not talking about learning scales...I am speaking of more emphasis being placed on the "reasoning" behind an answer rather than actually getting the answer correct.

You are perfectly welcome to view CC as you wish....but my children are living it! The SBAC was "pre-tested" in October. This is not to know what material needs to be covered (which by the way, is teaching to a test and Common Core was suppose to get away from that - it was, in theory, suppose to teach critical thinking and so that the children would not just memorize. Rather hard to do when my daughter's math teacher REPEATEDLY states for them to learn this or that as "it will be on the SBAC" (which is the Smarter Balance test).).

As far as reading....when 1/2 of what is required in the classroom is now non-fiction informational text (which is up to the teacher to decide on), then it does flow back to Common Core. Before that existed, these texts were not included on such a large scale. Allowing reading material that is solely for the support of the teacher's own personal agenda, is a problem. Allowing reading material in that is incredibly bias is a problem. Allowing material in that is religious in nature without allowing the same amount of time for other religions is a problem.

Bill Gates funded the majority of Common Core. The data mining that will ensue is on him as well. To have a child tracked from K through college with questions such as.......1. Do you live in a two parent home?. 2. Does your parents own guns?. 3. What medications do you or your parents take?......etc.

These are actual questions.... over 900 to be collected (at least in my state). These questions may be problematic to some kids. They may be used against children when they grow up and look for a job....who knows? This is not about education. It is about growing a population of career ready kids, who are pigeon-holed into a "approved" course of education.

None of these standards have been tested. As a parent, I prefer not to use my children as guinea pigs.

As you don't have children, perhaps you are unaware of what reality is in dealing with the school system.

Many many children are in private schools or homeschooled and EXCEL in their education. Public schools fail many many children.....THAT is where the problem lies.

Just the overwhelming majority. If it was an amendment it would have passed. Honestly those hold over states aught be simply isolated. No entry into colleges (with public funding) since their scores are no longer applicable to the rest of the system and call it a day.

If you transfer or move from one of those states you have to test your way back up from the first grade on too.

Those states that adopted Common Core only did it to have a chance at Federal Funding through Race To The Top.

Seems the other states that are perfectly capable of running their own educational systems without sucking up to the government for a handout have a better chance at a real education. At least they can make their own decisions and not settle to being "common".....they can become Excellent!

Many many children are in private schools or homeschooled and EXCEL in their education. Public schools fail many many children.....THAT is where the problem lies.

Not really. The overwhelming majority of kids go to public school. The majority of private schools don't teach non-sense either and do excellent work. Like I said not really a problem in practice but in theory.

No, I don't deal with the school system very often. I'm sorry your so frustrated. Perhaps NEXT time instead of stomping your feet like an impudent Obama you'll join in while we're discussing how to improve one of our broken systems?

i was a briefly friends with a home schooled kid in my youth. he was a fucking weirdo. scared to death of black people. like shaking in fear in their presence scared. it was both darkly funny and incredibly sad. also, he was the only person i ever met you puked because of weed. that fucker was a goddamned wreck. i kinda hope he's dead.

I know you really want to be right here, but as I have been fighting this for awhile, I do know what I am speaking of. I am not talking about learning scales...I am speaking of more emphasis being placed on the "reasoning" behind an answer rather than actually getting the answer correct.

You are perfectly welcome to view CC as you wish....but my children are living it! The SBAC was "pre-tested" in October. This is not to know what material needs to be covered (which by the way, is teaching to a test and Common Core was suppose to get away from that - it was, in theory, suppose to teach critical thinking and so that the children would not just memorize. Rather hard to do when my daughter's math teacher REPEATEDLY states for them to learn this or that as "it will be on the SBAC" (which is the Smarter Balance test).).

As far as reading....when 1/2 of what is required in the classroom is now non-fiction informational text (which is up to the teacher to decide on), then it does flow back to Common Core. Before that existed, these texts were not included on such a large scale. Allowing reading material that is solely for the support of the teacher's own personal agenda, is a problem. Allowing reading material in that is incredibly bias is a problem. Allowing material in that is religious in nature without allowing the same amount of time for other religions is a problem.

Bill Gates funded the majority of Common Core. The data mining that will ensue is on him as well. To have a child tracked from K through college with questions such as.......1. Do you live in a two parent home?. 2. Does your parents own guns?. 3. What medications do you or your parents take?......etc.

These are actual questions.... over 900 to be collected (at least in my state). These questions may be problematic to some kids. They may be used against children when they grow up and look for a job....who knows? This is not about education. It is about growing a population of career ready kids, who are pigeon-holed into a "approved" course of education.

None of these standards have been tested. As a parent, I prefer not to use my children as guinea pigs.

You don't know what you're talking about because I asked you a very simple question & you couldn't answer it. Instead of answering it you went on a rant that has nothing to do with my question.

1. You actually just validated everything I've said about math. The test will have very few, if any multiple choice questions. So students won't be able to get the answer correct by guessing, or by working backwards from the answer. If they can't use reasoning to solve the problem, they won't be able to get the right answer They're not doing this because it's on a test, they're doing this because this is how math works in real life.

2. The teacher has ALWAYS been able to pick what the students read. If you have data that shows that before CC teachers couldn't pick what was read in an ELA class, please post it. You're making this part up because either you, or the person you got your information from is bigoted.

3. I'm in my 30's & I don't know what medication my mom takes. Do you really think a 5 year old knows what medication their parent takes? And again, this has nothing to do with CC.

I'll ask again, but probably won't get an answer, what actual problem do you have with the standards themselves?

As you don't have children, perhaps you are unaware of what reality is in dealing with the school system.

Please cite your data.

i thought algebra in 2nd grade was pretty damn cool. seeing it take hold in front of my eyes was even cooler. connections i didn't make until much later. anyways. back to the ducks. racism anyone? who needs to sing the blues?

Not really. The overwhelming majority of kids go to public school. The majority of private schools don't teach non-sense either and do excellent work. Like I said not really a problem in practice but in theory.

No, I don't deal with the school system very often. I'm sorry your so frustrated. Perhaps NEXT time instead of stomping your feet like an impudent Obama you'll join in while we're discussing how to improve one of our broken systems?

I have been trying to improve it. Like I mentioned a while back, I have been in multiple meetings with state officials who can actually get things done...:)

I have been trying to improve it. Like I mentioned a while back, I have been in multiple meetings with state officials who can actually get things done...:)

That's interesting. Most parents I know get involved in their childrens' education at the local (school) level, occasionally at the county (school board) level.

What, pray tell, did you meet with state officials about? Banning books?

That's interesting. Most parents I know get involved in their childrens' education at the local (school) level, occasionally at the county (school board) level.

What, pray tell, did you meet with state officials about? Banning books?

She's full of shit on just about every subject she tries to pontificate on INCLUDING her own professed Holy Scripture.

If she were interested in affecting her (and other's... Gods forbid.) children's education she would be acting at the local and county level. The School board is where you go to get anything done. Hell, my Mother-in-law was the President of the Board of Education where I live now.

You don't try to lobby state education legislators unless you 1) Have a shit-ton of cash to throw at them, or 2) You're on the county Board of Education.

She's full of shit on just about every subject she tries to pontificate on INCLUDING her own professed Holy Scripture.

If she were interested in affecting her (and other's... Gods forbid.) children's education she would be acting at the local and county level. The School board is where you go to get anything done. Hell, my Mother-in-law was the President of the Board of Education where I live now.

You don't try to lobby state education legislators unless you 1) Have a shit-ton of cash to throw at them, or 2) You're on the county Board of Education.

I was trying to think of what policy issues are decided at the state level, since funding is typically done via appropriation/budgeting.

The only issues I could come up with that the state makes decisions on are basic curriculum, textbook selection and sex education policy. I can definitely see JB getting involved on the latter two issues.

Edited to add: oh yeah, I forgot all about the latest fads....charter schools and vouchers, and other mechanisms to bleed public schools dry financially. I can most def seeing her polticking to "starve the beast" so that religious indoctrination is subsidized by teh taxpayer.

Right, it's broken, we can see that.....that same school system taught you how to write?

Thank you, I'll pass. No wonder families send their kids off to private school's every chance they get

Last edited:
I was trying to think of what policy issues are decided at the state level, since funding is typically done via appropriation/budgeting.

The only issues I could come up with that the state makes decisions on are basic curriculum, textbook selection and sex education policy. I can definitely see JB getting involved on the latter two issues.

Edited to add: oh yeah, I forgot all about the latest fads....charter schools and vouchers, and other mechanisms to bleed public schools dry financially. I can most def seeing her polticking to "starve the beast" so that religious indoctrination is subsidized by teh taxpayer.

If the state has adopted CC, then those are the standards the local school needs to adopt. I can only speak for my area of the country, & in this area the local school board decides which textbook to adopt, and in the near future which tablet the district will use.

Right, it's broken, we can see that.....that same school system taught you how to write?

Thank you, I'll pass. No wonder families send their kids off to private school's every chance they get

Sorry. Force of habit.

Back