Isolated Blurt Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for that story Og! Curiously, there are no staricons here so I give it 5 hearts.

:heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

And I'm very impressed that your father could speak American.

:nana:

He needed to. Many Americans in WW2 didn't understand that British English had different words for things and different expressions.

Many years later when he was a senior Civil Servant he was sent around the World to visit British Embassies and advise on the number of support staff needed. His language skills were useful in Stockholm, Paris, Rome, Moscow and Washington.

But he could get caught out. He came to Hawaii from Hong Kong, went to the beach and fell asleep. He was severely sunburnt but the next day he was in Ottawa - in February. The doctor in Ottawa was startled to be dealing with sunburn when the snow was deep outside.

On another winter trip he was supposed to go from Moscow to Washington. Of course he had his winter weight suits. But his superiors asked that while he was out of the country could he please divert via Singapore and Canberra. On arrival in Singapore he ordered some lightweight tropical suits from the local tailors while he stayed in his air-conditioned hotel. Five hours later he had a tropical suit so that he was comfortable in Singapore's heat. When he flew out to Canberra the next evening he had two more tropical suits, one formal for evening wear, and had sent his winter weight suits by air freight to Washington.

He was comfortable in Canberra and boarded his plane to Washington. But his winter weight suits didn't arrive in time. He did have his normal weight formal evening suit for attending an Embassy reception - that had been sent from London to Washington and had arrived on time. But he couldn't wear that during the working day. He froze in Washington for a day while a secretary tried to find where the winter weight suits had gone. They were recovered by the second day.

He sent his tropical suits back to London while he remained in Washington. My mother was used to packing his clothes and going to the Post Office to Air Mail them around the world. She used to get his dirty washing delivered and sent his clean underwear back. His shirts were usually washed and ironed by Embassy staff.

Several times items of clothing were lost or delayed in transit. The Singapore tailor would happily make my father's shirts to measure from the details held in Singapore and mail them anywhere in the world. The air mail often cost more than the shirt.

When my father stopped globe-trotting he sat down with my mother and reviewed his stock of clothing. He had twice as many shirts as he needed, far too many suits, and dozens of unused underpants bought 'just in case' the washing didn't arrive in the right city at the right time.

I acquired a dozen of his shirts and a couple of suits, one of which I still have. My wife objects whenever I wear it. It was made when my father went 'shooting' on a grouse moor in Scotland. My mother described it as the 'bookmaker' suit because it is a loud brown check. It is very heavyweight and thornproof. Although my father wore it on the grouse moor he didn't shoot anything because he knew his aim wasn't good enough and he didn't want to embarrass his hosts. He watched, sustained by great local Whisky, while other guests made fools of themselves.

To cheer myself up, I've just ordered The Crimson Pirate on DVD. It actually cost less than half what the shave would have and, although I love the film and have been promising it to myself for a while now, it will probably bring me a proportionate amount of pleasure.

Sometimes I really don't understand me...

Amazon ?

www.hive.co.uk - it's a site that allows you to shop online for books, dvds and music while allowing you to support your local independent bookshop. You nominate your favourite participating indie, and a commission on everything you buy subsequently goes to that shop. Free delivery on orders over £15, or if you prefer, you can have your order delivered free to your local indie.

Price-wise, Amazon usually works out cheaper, but if you don't fancy one-clicking your way to a world where there are no high street bookstores any more, it's an ethical alternative to the predatory tax-dodging giant.

Crimson Pirate was £4.56

http://www.hive.co.uk/dvd/crimson-pirate/5642139/

We are a Warholian story factory in the Six Words Story thread and you too are welcome to join! I'm sure there must be a good fairy around in the comic books somewhere, although possibly rather young for our kind of story. Since Trysail has disappointingly refused, you could be Catwoman instead ... :cattail:

:rose:

220px-Velvet_Underground_and_Nico.jpg
I am quite honored by your offer, and would love to be Catwoman, but those dancing bananas really creep me out.

While there are plenty of reasons to dislike winter, one reason I like it is that the tap water is deliciously cold.

All spring, summer and fall, when I want cold water it's necessary to open the refrigerator where I keep gallon jugs cool. These days, all I need do is let the tap run for five seconds and— voila— there it is in copious amounts: delightful, sweet, cool and refreshing.

www.hive.co.uk - it's a site that allows you to shop online for books, dvds and music while allowing you to support your local independent bookshop. You nominate your favourite participating indie, and a commission on everything you buy subsequently goes to that shop. Free delivery on orders over £15, or if you prefer, you can have your order delivered free to your local indie.

Price-wise, Amazon usually works out cheaper, but if you don't fancy one-clicking your way to a world where there are no high street bookstores any more, it's an ethical alternative to the predatory tax-dodging giant.

Crimson Pirate was £4.56

http://www.hive.co.uk/dvd/crimson-pirate/5642139/

I tried it but I do not have a local bookshop.

Officially fucking gutted. The guy who does the shave is off sick. I have been looking forward to this SO much... :(

I can't believe it. The disgust selfishness of the man. Does he think he lives for his own pleasure?

Still, good that you got The Crimson Pirate. And great link, I will start using it and telling all my friends to do so too. Except when they buy my books, of course. When I will tell them to go to Smash where they are free LOL!

Well, if the Crimson Pirate starts appearing on the six word story thread, there will be some fireworks when he bumps into Betty the scarlet woman!

I think we might need our own thread! I feel a bit bad for all the six worders who get confusingly tangled in the narrative, attempting to tell everyone else they've at last fallen in love. (Hope it lasts, hur hur hur.)

:rose:

I am quite honored by your offer, and would love to be Catwoman, but those dancing bananas really creep me out.

LOL you can be anyone! Join in and do a bit of Betty Ross! Or the Hulk!

Sorry about the dancing bananas. It was a New Year's resolution. And it's Neko's fault, she encourages me. :cattail:

:nana:
Penitent banana.

While there are plenty of reasons to dislike winter, one reason I like it is that the tap water is deliciously cold.

All spring, summer and fall, when I want cold water it's necessary to open the refrigerator where I keep gallon jugs cool. These days, all I need do is let the tap run for five seconds and— voila— there it is in copious amounts: delightful, sweet, cool and refreshing.

I love that too!
:kiss:

He needed to. Many Americans in WW2 didn't understand that British English had different words for things and different expressions.

Many years later when he was a senior Civil Servant he was sent around the World to visit British Embassies and advise on the number of support staff needed. His language skills were useful in Stockholm, Paris, Rome, Moscow and Washington.

But he could get caught out. He came to Hawaii from Hong Kong, went to the beach and fell asleep. He was severely sunburnt but the next day he was in Ottawa - in February. The doctor in Ottawa was startled to be dealing with sunburn when the snow was deep outside.

On another winter trip he was supposed to go from Moscow to Washington. Of course he had his winter weight suits. But his superiors asked that while he was out of the country could he please divert via Singapore and Canberra. On arrival in Singapore he ordered some lightweight tropical suits from the local tailors while he stayed in his air-conditioned hotel. Five hours later he had a tropical suit so that he was comfortable in Singapore's heat. When he flew out to Canberra the next evening he had two more tropical suits, one formal for evening wear, and had sent his winter weight suits by air freight to Washington.

He was comfortable in Canberra and boarded his plane to Washington. But his winter weight suits didn't arrive in time. He did have his normal weight formal evening suit for attending an Embassy reception - that had been sent from London to Washington and had arrived on time. But he couldn't wear that during the working day. He froze in Washington for a day while a secretary tried to find where the winter weight suits had gone. They were recovered by the second day.

He sent his tropical suits back to London while he remained in Washington. My mother was used to packing his clothes and going to the Post Office to Air Mail them around the world. She used to get his dirty washing delivered and sent his clean underwear back. His shirts were usually washed and ironed by Embassy staff.

Several times items of clothing were lost or delayed in transit. The Singapore tailor would happily make my father's shirts to measure from the details held in Singapore and mail them anywhere in the world. The air mail often cost more than the shirt.

When my father stopped globe-trotting he sat down with my mother and reviewed his stock of clothing. He had twice as many shirts as he needed, far too many suits, and dozens of unused underpants bought 'just in case' the washing didn't arrive in the right city at the right time.

I acquired a dozen of his shirts and a couple of suits, one of which I still have. My wife objects whenever I wear it. It was made when my father went 'shooting' on a grouse moor in Scotland. My mother described it as the 'bookmaker' suit because it is a loud brown check. It is very heavyweight and thornproof. Although my father wore it on the grouse moor he didn't shoot anything because he knew his aim wasn't good enough and he didn't want to embarrass his hosts. He watched, sustained by great local Whisky, while other guests made fools of themselves.

:cool: My dad had a pair of tweed plus fours made once but we all laughed so heartily that he stopped wearing them.

I'd ask what those were but I'm not sure I want to know. :eek:

How right you were, how sorry you will be you asked!
:eek::eek::eek:

https://encrypted-tbn2.***********/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRPxn-93TaiAnNxRK7SxyCS9jb-yE1GCNPpdq1rQRRFYM10BOhW

A Missing Avenger

My God, Steve, we did a dreadful disservice to MichaelinChina. I just went back through the thread and found he'd attempted to join in as Emma Peel! As he has been flying to Australia he couldn't come and kick our asses for failing to respond to his six words early in the thread but hopefully he will forgive us and come back out to play.
Well ... Emma Peel and the Hulk there's a thought!

:D

How right you were, how sorry you will be you asked!
:eek::eek::eek:

https://encrypted-tbn2.***********/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRPxn-93TaiAnNxRK7SxyCS9jb-yE1GCNPpdq1rQRRFYM10BOhW

Oh yeah, a golf nut. I forgot you had those over there. I thought you had exported them all. :eek:

Another month gone.

Hey, don't rush it. You still have four whole days left.

Lots can happen in four days. :rose: :kiss:

Okay, I've posted the Seven Sinful Sentences in my FB writer's group
Put up my six word story line (in a new thread)
'Like'd five photos of lovely ladies shared by my new FB lesbian friend
Hung four loads of laundry
Fetched three breakfast treats from Tescos
In my pair of pink wellies
And now I think I'm entitled to my one cup of coffee (and pain au chocolat).

Last edited:
Okay, I've posted the Seven Sinful Sentences in my FB writer's group
Put up my six word story line (in a new thread)
'Like'd five photos of lovely ladies shared by my new FB lesbian friend
Hung four loads of laundry
Fetched three breakfast treats from Tescos
In my pair of pink wellies
And now I think I'm entitled to my one cup of coffee (and pain au chocolat).

Pink Wellies ?
I thought they were for very little girls (you know, the ones who ride small pink bikes and love my little pony?).

What a wonderful image

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back