New Lit Control Panel Testers - Info, Updates, Reports & More

Are you following SDLC practices right?

By now these sorts of "functional collapses" should not be happening as your dev, test, and prod platforms should all be separate things. major issues with site functionality should not make it out of test, and "beta" test functionality for end-user testing usually happens in a different testing environment altogether - I've heard various names for that - like "Stage" and "UAT" servers/platforms used for this. I hope you are managing changes appropriately and observing formal SDLC practices, but this last set of functional collapses of the new UI casts doubt on that presumption.:eek:

As for overall feedback on the site - I'd like to be able sot set some "permanent" filters on my profile - so I don't have to even see some of the story listings for things that are turn-offs to me - let users set filters at the category level so that the New story listings for story types that are not turn-ons for them don't even appear in the listings (until they chose to turn those category filters off, anyway). A simple categories filter list should be simple enough to implement. (I know the SQL WHERE clauses are easy enough to build.) If you want to go further and offer filters on keywords, keep those filters separate from (and complimentary to) the category filters.

For example, one person may like BDSM stuff while to someone else it's a turnoff. a third person may like some BDSM but gets turned off for involuntary or scat/golden shower game stuff... while the BDSM category-level filter would help with the first part, someone who wants to see the fetish stiff minus the scat games would likely need the keyword-level filters to make things work best for them.

By now these sorts of "functional collapses" should not be happening as your dev, test, and prod platforms should all be separate things. major issues with site functionality should not make it out of test, and "beta" test functionality for end-user testing usually happens in a different testing environment altogether - I've heard various names for that - like "Stage" and "UAT" servers/platforms used for this. I hope you are managing changes appropriately and observing formal SDLC practices, but this last set of functional collapses of the new UI casts doubt on that presumption.:eek:

As for overall feedback on the site - I'd like to be able sot set some "permanent" filters on my profile - so I don't have to even see some of the story listings for things that are turn-offs to me - let users set filters at the category level so that the New story listings for story types that are not turn-ons for them don't even appear in the listings (until they chose to turn those category filters off, anyway). A simple categories filter list should be simple enough to implement. (I know the SQL WHERE clauses are easy enough to build.) If you want to go further and offer filters on keywords, keep those filters separate from (and complimentary to) the category filters.

For example, one person may like BDSM stuff while to someone else it's a turnoff. a third person may like some BDSM but gets turned off for involuntary or scat/golden shower game stuff... while the BDSM category-level filter would help with the first part, someone who wants to see the fetish stiff minus the scat games would likely need the keyword-level filters to make things work best for them.

An interesting idea but not without it's drawbacks. It presupposes that the tagging and categorisations are accurate: they are not. Also fiddling with the filters to see parts of a story that wanders all over the shop (See Wifewatchman for example) would get very old very quickly and the feature would be underutilised. While I agree that the SQL is relatively easy, the redesign of the user profiles is not and it would be a constant regression headache. Lit are already maintaining parallel profiles for lit itself and the bulletin board. I am more than capable of filtering out the stuff I don't want to read, more efficiently, and cheaply than lit can. There are some very good writers in here and I will sometimes read material not to my taste just to read their writing. If I wanted to filter anything, it would be second person stories which drive me apoplectic with rage along with anything else that resembles meta fiction. grrr.
Finally, I'm guessing that some 30% of Lit's authors are now dead or decrepit: many of those really good writers are in the 60_90 age range and I interpret there silence as eternal. My favorites list is full of authors who have gone silent. An interesting problem lit will have to deal with sometime.

Show un-favorited information

Not sure if it has been asked before (didn't feel for going through +250 previous posts; sorry) but would it be possible to show when stories, or the author himself, are un-favorited? The old version does show that information. I like to keep track of those numbers (I guess I have a math-masochistic streak :eek:)

The new version shows unfavorites. At least on mine.

Question. What happened to the sort options on the favorites (The ones who favorited you) list. It was there at one time and now i can't find it. It is sorted by join date, which is no help at all.

The new version shows unfavorites. At least on mine.

At [My Home], in my 'All Activity' list, I do see when people start following me or my stories, but it doesn't show when people stop doing so.

On my mobile phone I'm still using the old version, which does show when people remove me or my stories from their favorite lists

I'm not getting unfavorites in the new control panel either. Not that I really care LOL. Almost all of it is bookmarking activity, which will hopefully go away once the reading list feature is fully activated, making the favorite lists more stable and meaningful.

Web site address in Activity

My Activity just reported a user changing their web site address. As we aren't able to see it, perhaps it is redundant?

Hi,

This may have already been addressed, but is there any way to make the new feed like Twitter?

Where instead of having to reload the page and wait, you could have a little notice on top saying how many new activities there are, then click it, then it scrolls down. It would be so much easier and convenient.

thanks

heyall

Performance - Android vs Desktop

How much control do you have over the architecture of the new control panel? I ask because the behaviour of the Control Panel under Android/Chrome is disturbing. I have noticed in other contexts that Chrome rerenders pages as you navigate from tab to Tab and Lit is no exception.
Perving at your HTML isn't helpful other than to be concerned that part of the functionality is provided by third party sites. Not unusual, except that on a cellular network with patchy performance at the best of times, this rerendering process makes using the control panel quite dodgy. Unfortunately, because most of the HTML generation is hidden inside a script I can't see what you are doing but it clearly involves a dynamic database call from the HTML at rendering time rather than the sprightlier mechanism of formatting the data as HTML up front.

Hitherto Lit has been amazingly battleproof, working when Facebook, Twitter, and other sites are broken, I think because you have not depended too much on third party resources. This is not true of the new CP and I will be disappointed if gobs more of Lit gets the new treatment.

My use of lit may be unusual in my putting the control panel and each story I'm interested in into separate tabs but it then makes navigation easier. In actuality, on my desktop I use a separate instance of the browser for the CP (I can get to it even if the main lit tabs are locked in server calls) but I can't do this on Android or ios, so I am forced into having little snoozes each time I need to return to the CP, very irritating.

It is this rerender/reload behaviour that fuelled my request to restructure the menu entries. It is just too darned slow, especially in a mobile context. Ironic, isn't it, that making Lit more Mobile friendly makes it more user unfriendly!

Thanks for listening (well reading) my rant
A

PS, as a business badly hit by Amazon's predatory business practices it saddened me to see your use of Cloudfront.
A

Really Like It

I've seen a few mentions of the 'old' control panel, but I never stumbled across it.

The new one is really great as far as I'm concerned, as a reader, not editor or author.

I'd suggest making the number of links that it shows configurable. eg 20 instead of 10. I also think you should make it more visible on the home page and accessible from the Story Index.

Wow

More stories / information can be seen on a page now that the font for the titles has been made smaller on:
https://www.literotica.com/my/#/activity/all
https://www.literotica.com/my/#/works/stories/published

Similar font shrinkage on users could be used:
https://www.literotica.com/my/#/followers

However, we still cannot see the total views at a glance. They have to be hovered over to see. Please fix it, there are numerous comments here by us and others that want the entire view count, not a truncated scientific notation form.

The best new thing however is the download story stats! :)
It is in the title bar to the right of: https://www.literotica.com/my/#/works/stories/published

It just needs column headers and to come out in the sort order in the current view.

-MM

The header menus have been re-worked to be fully mobile friendly in this update.

If you notice any problems with the new header, please let me know.

Thank you. :D

There appear to be a couple of bugs with the BETA version of this feature, we are working on a patch now! :D

For me, downloading the score works in Chrome, not in Internet Explorer (while being 'InPrivate')

I'm not totally impressed - it shows the same as I can see in the Control Panel; nothing new. I would like to get the 'raw' data of those stats - preferably divided as: x times 1; y times 2; z times...

There appear to be a couple of bugs with the BETA version of this feature, we are working on a patch now! :D

For me, downloading the score works in Chrome, not in Internet Explorer (while being 'InPrivate')

I'm not totally impressed - it shows the same as I can see in the Control Panel; nothing new. I would like to get the 'raw' data of those stats - preferably divided as: x times 1; y times 2; z times...

I get my stories in a file, but it also shows the data of the stories recently submitted by authors in my 'favorite' list.

We are working on graphs and other fun stuff for the future, but this was intended to be a quick fix for authors who lost the ability to export data (copy/paste) when moving from the Old Control Panel to the new Control Panel.

If you have suggestions for improving the data to be exported, we are definitely open to suggestions.

Thank you! :D

The export should should contain all of the data. It is currently missing the number of comments and rating.

We're eager to hear about the graphing or trending though. What details can you share?
-MM

We are working on graphs and other fun stuff for the future, but this was intended to be a quick fix for authors who lost the ability to export data (copy/paste) when moving from the Old Control Panel to the new Control Panel.

If you have suggestions for improving the data to be exported, we are definitely open to suggestions.

Thank you! :D

I'm not really familiar with csv files, and wasn't sure how to open it in Excel - simple 'Open' didn't work, as it put all data in a single column. Opening it in Word, and then saving it as a txt file did the trick; when you open a txt file in Excel, you can indicate to have the data separated by semi-columns. Perhaps there is an easier way? If not, wouldn't it be better to provide this file as a txt file instead of csv?

Not sure if you read my last line in the previous message, as it wasn't in the message before that one...
I get my stories in a file, but it also shows the data of the stories recently submitted by authors in my 'favorite' list.

I'm not really familiar with csv files, and wasn't sure how to open it in Excel - simple 'Open' didn't work, as it put all data in a single column. Opening it in Word, and then saving it as a txt file did the trick; when you open a txt file in Excel, you can indicate to have the data separated by semi-columns. Perhaps there is an easier way? If not, wouldn't it be better to provide this file as a txt file instead of csv?

Not sure if you read my last line in the previous message, as it wasn't in the message before that one...

Ruben,

You don't need to turn the .csv file into a .txt file to open it. Here are two tricks that are shorter.

1) If you simply drag the .csv file over to the Excel icon (I use a Mac, a PC may differ, but be patient), Excel will open your file as a text file and ask you some questions in a pop-up menu. All you need do is click "Finish" and, presto!, it will put all the data into individual columns for you, which you can name later.

2) From 'inside' Excel, ask it to Open the .csv file. It will, and then will, as above, ask you some questions in a pop-up menu. All you need do is click "Finish" and, presto!, it will put all the data into individual columns for you, which you can name later.

Ruben,

You don't need to turn the .csv file into a .txt file to open it. Here are two tricks that are shorter.

1) If you simply drag the .csv file over to the Excel icon (I use a Mac, a PC may differ, but be patient), Excel will open your file as a text file and ask you some questions in a pop-up menu. All you need do is click "Finish" and, presto!, it will put all the data into individual columns for you, which you can name later.

2) From 'inside' Excel, ask it to Open the .csv file. It will, and then will, as above, ask you some questions in a pop-up menu. All you need do is click "Finish" and, presto!, it will put all the data into individual columns for you, which you can name later.

Yes, I know I can open the .csv file in Excel (version 2010), but on my computer (PC, using Windows 10) the data is not placed into individual columns; all data ends up in the first column. I can't find an option in Excel to divide that data over different columns.

It took me a minute or three to find the option as well. I'm still using Excel from 2002 LOL

For me, the option was under DATA, and then TEXT TO COLUMNS. Maybe it's similar enough in '10 for you to track it down from that.

Once you do find it, pay close attention to the options presented. If any of your stories have commas in the title, you have to make sure that isn't selected as a delimiter. If any of your stories have a semicolon in the title, you'll probably need to modify that in the original csv file before opening.

It's not perfect, but it's certainly on exactly the right track for stat junkies, eliminating all the complicated copy-paste, page scraping, and tedious data entry processes we were using.

Yes, I know I can open the .csv file in Excel (version 2010), but on my computer (PC, using Windows 10) the data is not placed into individual columns; all data ends up in the first column. I can't find an option in Excel to divide that data over different columns.

It took me a minute or three to find the option as well. I'm still using Excel from 2002 LOL

For me, the option was under DATA, and then TEXT TO COLUMNS. Maybe it's similar enough in '10 for you to track it down from that.

Once you do find it, pay close attention to the options presented. If any of your stories have commas in the title, you have to make sure that isn't selected as a delimiter. If any of your stories have a semicolon in the title, you'll probably need to modify that in the original csv file before opening.

It's not perfect, but it's certainly on exactly the right track for stat junkies, eliminating all the complicated copy-paste, page scraping, and tedious data entry processes we were using.

Ah, thank you! That works perfectly!

No problem. :)

It's still a little buggy, missing comment numbers, etc., but they're stomping out the bugs and fixing the oversights. One click download will make my quarterly checks infinitely easier once I start doing them again.

Back