Ask Annie

HarryHill

Hairy fucker
Annie what the hell does this mean?
The number of gerund statements also make it very difficult to figure things out.
:confused:

Well if you told me what it's alluding to I might be able to answer!

...with his.... eyes on her, head bowed, staring at the mound of dirt, wanting to go to her, hold her close, share her loss and his that was like a stone within the chest; instead he left, face grim, passing Billy quickly to chase the pack and leave her to thoughts she was not ready to share yet.

...with his.... eyes on her, head bowed, staring at the mound of dirt, wanting to go to her, hold her close, share her loss and his that was like a stone within the chest; instead he left, face grim, passing Billy quickly to chase the pack and leave her to thoughts she was not ready to share yet.

Still don't know where I commented but to all intents and purposes Gerunds are 'ing' ending words, something to avoid using too many times. I got hauled up on it in my early days of Lit, hence the Gerund whore over my pic.

Last edited:
Still don't know where I commented but to all intents and purposes Gerunds are 'ing' ending words, something to avoid using too many times. I got hauled up on it in my early days of Lit, hence the Gerund whore over my pic.
the comment was from another
Made this thread just for you, knew you have experience with fucking gerunds

the comment was from another
Made this thread just for you, knew you have experience with fucking gerunds

:D :rolleyes:

Harry, I don't think you've used too many gerunds in that piece. It feels "in motion" to me, and it's an unusual style. Some people will be put off, but what the hell.

I had a friend who wrote stories by typing a small sentence and hitting enter, over and over. It was very unusual, and some people might throw a hissy fit reading it, but it had its own style, and in sense, I guess it's a way of applying some ideas from poetry to prose (e.g., imbuing a rhythm).

Last edited:
:D :rolleyes:

Harry, I don't think you've used too many gerunds in that piece. It feels "in motion" to me, and it's an unusual style. Some people will be put off, but what the hell.

I had a friend who wrote stories by typing a small sentence and hitting enter, over and over. It was very unusual, and some people might throw a hissy fit reading it, but it had its own style, and in sense, I guess it's a way of applying some ideas from poetry to prose (e.g., imbuing a rhythm).
how very ecumenical, are you proposing approaching a work of literature on something on its own terms?
hissssssssss
open mindedness?
hisssssssssssss
Minluv says doublebad
thoughtcrime
Two minute HATE DRILL!!!!
There has always been feedback and discussion here

how very ecumenical, are you proposing approaching a work of literature on something on its own terms?
hissssssssss
open mindedness?
hisssssssssssss
Minluv says doublebad
thoughtcrime
Two minute HATE DRILL!!!!
There has always been feedback and discussion here

While I don't like the newspeak that arises from thoughtlessness (absolute lack of mental discipline, or simply not even trying to think), I also believe that rules that ask you to follow thoughtlessly are bad (not useful).

Last edited:
While I don't like the newspeak that arises from thoughtlessness (absolute lack of mental discipline, or simply not even trying to think), I also believe that rules that ask you to follow thoughtlessly are bad (not useful).

i don't mind some rules, some parameters, but i want to understand their whys. then, if i feel they make sense, i'll work with them. rules as a framework to build upon (like blueprints the architect is free to alter if necessary), not rules as bars in a cage.

Annie - i've another question if that's ok? :)

i ran across a reference to the use of 'tomorrow' as 'to-morrow', way back on some search. it mentions the latter falling out of use around the '20's. thing is, i clearly remember using it in infants/juniors - so back in the 60's. do you?

i don't mind some rules, some parameters, but i want to understand their whys. then, if i feel they make sense, i'll work with them. rules as a framework to build upon (like blueprints the architect is free to alter if necessary), not rules as bars in a cage.

I agree with both statements. The first depicts human life in general and the poetry situation in particular. As for the second, I say: They are indeed blueprints and only that. Let the bars be there until such time you can bend them and get out of the cage.

Annie - i've another question if that's ok? :)

i ran across a reference to the use of 'tomorrow' as 'to-morrow', way back on some search. it mentions the latter falling out of use around the '20's. thing is, i clearly remember using it in infants/juniors - so back in the 60's. do you?

Now you come to mention it yes I do, isn't it odd that it only takes a comparatively short amount of time for it to fall out of favour?

Annie, how do you deal with an asshole that just wont go away?

Goodness I feel like Marge Proops (google it lol or ask Butters!) it depends on where and who the asshole is I suppose ........ on Facebook I take so much then block them, much the same can be done on here though I've only blocked strange young men that send me PMs out of the blue asking for carnal knowledge (do other people get those!!) If it was in RL I would get my husband to have a word he was born a Cockney and knows some very fly characters plus he was the Armies boxing champion :)

I find a good rinse followed with a wiping scares the shit outta 'em.
lol Champ :)

I find a good rinse followed with a wiping scares the shit outta 'em.
This is completely off-topic, but that is either the most "let me please be in that picture" avatar of all time or I'm confusing it with a geology lecture on rifts.

OK, thread relevant stuff: if this
HarryHill said:
is what we're talking about, in my (grammatically unreliable opinion) there are no gerunds in that excerpt.

Participles, yes. Gerunds, no. Gerunds are nouns.

This is completely off-topic, but that is either the most "let me please be in that picture" avatar of all time or I'm confusing it with a geology lecture on rifts.

OK, thread relevant stuff: if this
is what we're talking about, in my (grammatically unreliable opinion) there are no gerunds in that excerpt.

Participles, yes. Gerunds, no. Gerunds are nouns.

Made me go look, A gerund is a verb used as a noun; specific examples elude me. Thank you, Sir; good to see you.

told you, H, they didn't know what they were talking about - the them this thread was about not people here :D

Actually, it turns out I really did not know what I was talking about. :D However, it did feel to me like there was nothing wrong with Harry's text. My approach to language has always been intuitive...

Actually, it turns out I really did not know what I was talking about. :D However, it did feel to me like there was nothing wrong with Harry's text. My approach to language has always been intuitive...

Words, stones we stumble on
thrown willy nilly
if we've got the stones, rhymes with phones, messages, Oh! I was here to ask Annie...

You were very, very happy, but then something bad happened, which left you confused and shocked, and then embarrassed and sad?

I wanted to put a smart arsed question up for Annie regarding masturbatory e mails / pm's from (Wally's?) but then got the thread open and had no idea how to word it :cattail:

I find a sarcastic ridiculing reply is the best bet and hope it doesn't go way over their head. As a matter interest why were you needing to know lol? :D

Back