The King and I (closed)

He gave her a snarky grin, "You sure that you want me in a budget meeting? Don't you remember the last one? The meeting where you sank down in your chair, getting that cute little blush when you're embarrassed? I am sure a few ministers would love you after the first round of meetings." He waggled his eyebrows at her and settled down onto the cushions, holding her close to him. He felt better with her by his side.

"Let's just worry about getting me to the coronation. Without you there I might kill somebody and end up in jail instead of the throne. We will be getting rid of that garish old thing won't we? I'd rather sit in comfort than in some silly old hardwood chair with barely enough padding to make it feel less of a rock."
 
"It's tradition, Dave." Charlie said softly as he mentioned the chair being uncomfortable. "Every king in your family line has been crowned while sitting in that chair. You have to sit in it for an hour max. I think you'll survive."

She gave him a smile, knowing that he was being an incredibly good sport about everything. It was hard to realize that his coronation meant that his father was no longer around and he was taking over a kingdom while still so young.

"But I suppose I could tell them to nix the military uniform and perhaps we can do away with the crown when you greet the public."
 
"Remember that I'm not just going to sit in that chair for the coronation, I'll most likely have to sit in it to listen to grievances and such during the open court days that I have reinstated." He nuzzled her neck, "We can take away that crown, but if you keep to your promise about a proper sword, I'll wear the uniform. I do look kinda dashing in it I think."

He gave her neck soft little kisses just underneath her ear, "So since it is snowing and it is cold, do you need a bit of warmth to stave off the long winter night?"
 
"Since you forced me to come to bed without anything to keep me warm, I trust that you will be the one providing that warmth." Charlie said, laughing softly as he placed gentle kisses against her throat. "Or I can just find Max. He would be warm as well."
 
"Hmmm I'm starting to doubt your loyalties, this mysterious Max keeps showing up when you're around. I think the old hound may have a few tricks to still teach me." He chuckled softly, his lips still kissing at the soft skin of her throat and neck, teasingly touching the corners of her mouth. He smiled at her and then kissed her on the lips, his arms drawing her to him.
 
Charlie couldn't do anything but smile at Dave as he kissed her throat and her neck, teasing the corners of her mouth before he finally gave her what she wanted. She let out a sigh as he pulled her against his body again, her own arms wrapping around his neck. She just wanted to be close to him and never let him go again.
 
He wasn't sure when, but some time during the kissing and cuddling he found himself resting against Charlie. They were both languid and not very far from sleep, perhaps it was a good thing to get some sleep in, it would be a long day...he smiled gently at the touch of her soft skin against his own. She sure wasn't a shy girl away from all the other prying eyes. He stifled a yawn and settled in against her.
 
Charlie smiled as Dave held her tightly. She was in heaven in his arms. Why had they been so foolish about the entire thing? She felt silly for just wasting time when she could have been spending moments with him like this. She let out a little sigh, her head finding a spot on his shoulder as she drifted off to sleep. Everything was right in her world suddenly. She hoped it always remained that way.
 
He woke up before his watch could and stiffled the little schreecher before it could wake Penny up. He slipped out of bed, the room was slightly chilly, but it was well before sunrise. He couldn't remember ever sleeping this well since his father passed away. In fact he could remember sleeping this well and not having to get dragged out of bed by Charlie.

He slipped into his bathrobe and cinched it as he went to stand in front of the window, looking out over the snow white landscape, already scrapers was busy clearing the streets, their orange lights blinking as far as he could see. He folded his left arm over his stomach and rested his right arm on his hand. He rested his right hand in front of his mouth, the thumb pressing against his chin and the first knuckle of his forefinger rested against his lips as he stared outside. Pondering.
 
Charlie slept soundly as Dave stirred and donned his robe. It had been a long time since she had allowed herself to sleep in. She was warm and happy, content after exploring her feelings with Dave. Her world was perfect at that moment and she wouldn't have changed anything for the entire world.

She slowly noticed that Dave wasn't with her any longer. The bed as cold and she pulled the sheets further around her body as she lifted her head from the pillow. Glancing towards the window, she saw him standing there with such a serious expression on his face.

"Dave?" She asked softly. "Are you alright?"
 
He started slightly, "Hmm?" He lowered his hand as he turned his head to face her. "Ah Sleeping Beauty have awoke." He smiled and crossed back to the bed, sitting down next to her, he leaned forward and placed a kiss on her brow. "Good morning. Yes I'm alright, was just thinking about things. You know how I tend to think about things at the strangest of times. Luckily never at those budget meetings you love to drag me to."

He gave her a wink and a playful smile. "Why don't you come share a shower with me before you sneak out to go get dressed?"
 
"If I share a shower with you, I'll never make it out of this room at a decent hour." She murmured, giving him a smile as he playfully teased her. "I think I'd rather clear your schedule and just cuddle with you in bed all day. They won't miss their soon to be king anyway."
 
He leaned closer, "And if you clear that schedule does that mean you'll come shower with me?" He gave her an impossible smile and kissed her brow one more time, "Now then get that sexy behind in gear, we will have to get you outfitted again since you left all your work implements on the tarmac yesterday."

He got to his feet and moved over to the closet, humming softly to himself as he started to select his attire, a nice dark blue suit, grey shirt and red tie. He turned to face Charlie and held up the clothes for her approval, even though he didn't need it.
 
Charlie laughed softly as he kissed her one last time before he went to pick out his clothing for the day. She sat on the edge of the bed, stretching as he showed her what he had picked out. She considered it for a moment, tilting her head before she finally nodded and gave her approval.

"They'll suddenly wonder how you become more stylish if you allow me to keep picking out your clothes." She teased as she stood to gather her clothing before she disappeared into the bathroom for a quick shower.
 
"Oh they will not wonder. They know that every morning you come kick me out of bed and dress me." He gave her a grin and watched as she went to the bathroom. Moving back to the windows he looked out into the city. The bustling had started, cars were starting to move on the roads, there would be accidents on the treacherous icy roads. Perhaps with a safe public transport available that problem could be reduced? Place it on a flexible time-schedule early morning in the winter and a fixed schedule any time else. As Charlie showered he pondered this thought.
 
"But now you'll expect me in your bed every morning. I'll still relish the opportunity to kick you out, however." Charlie said with a grin on her lips as she disappeared into his large bathroom and was soon standing under a hot spray of water.

She still could hardly believe that their relationship had escalated so quickly. It brought a smile to her lips but it secretly scared her. A queen. She very well might be the queen of her country. Dave had known his entire life what he was destined for. She had only a very short time to get use to the idea.

As soon as she was finished, she shut off the shower and dried her hair, pulling on her clothing from the day before. It was a short moment later before she stepped back out into the bedroom and saw Dave musing over something.

"What's on your mind?" She asked him in a soft voice. "You've been brooding all morning."
 
He turned his gaze to her and held his hand out drawing her to stand before him, wrapping his arms around her as they both faced the window. "Public transport and less traffic accidents. Less lives lost due to those accidents." Of course that was a point which hit close at home and it was part of the reason he thought of it. "A new monorail system would not only provide this, but also push us to the forefront of technology. But for it to work we will need investors, revenue streams and materials as well as scientists, engineers and building contractors."

He rested his chin on her head, looking more at her reflection than the city beyond. He could always have shared anything with her and now he could literally share anything and everything with her. All that was missing was the ring on her finger.
 
Charlie was quiet as he pulled her into his embrace, laying out the ideas and plans that he had to make his kingdom safer. She thought about what all he had lost and how it much it would mean to him to save the lives of those around him. She reached up and gently touched his arms, holding onto him as he went silent again.

"I can arrange a meeting with you finance ministers." She said softly. "But I think a plea like that would be better served going straight to the public. They loved your father...and your brother. I think you could raise the money in no time."
 
"Giving them a vote. Have debates on the matter. It is a good idea, but the implementation would be difficult." He smiled at her in the reflection of the window, "And for now I to go through a ceremony of tediousness and pomp just to get a bit of gold. I do hope you will be ready with a very nice surprise after I have suffered through that."

He gave a soft chuckle and kissed her hair, "I have to get ready. You have to get yourself a clipboard. I'll see you at the breakfast table." He gave her one last hug, loving the feel of how even her back seemed moulded to his own body. Then he slowly unwrapped his arms from her.
 
"I will not be screwing you after your coronation because you deserve a treat for suffering." Charlie said with a little scoff, rolling her eyes as she allowed him to kiss her hair gently.

She pulled away from him as he let her go, laughing softly as he went to get dressed. They had to be careful around one another for the time being. Their little secret couldn't become public knowledge for a very long time.
 
He gave her behind a soft slap as he turned to finish up, "Such a mouth on you, no wonder that I like you so much." He gave her a grin as he picked up his clothes, "And anyway, there will be a banquet or gathering or whatever you want to call it afterwards. So there is the perfect moment for a nice surprise."

He gave her a wink and went into the bathroom, after a long, hot shower, he shaved, got dressed, combed his hair and used the mirror to fold his tie. When he came out, Charlie had already left. He picked one of the trench coat jackets from his closet and left the room. He entered the dining room and found his mother there already, sipping on tea and reading through a paper. He stopped next to her and kissed her cheek, slipping an arm around her and hugging her.

"You're up early."

"Charlie slept over. You know how she loves to drain me of warmth and kick me out of bed in the morning."

In her eyes he could see that she knew the truth, was she not the one who had told him to act? He gave her a smile and kissed her cheek once more, then he moved to his own seat and sat down, pouring himself a cup of coffee and picked up a ledger which lay at his left elbow, "What is this?"

His mother gave a slight shrug, "I really have no idea. It came in with the breakfast staff and since it is marked for your eyes only, I did not look."

A slight frown came to his brow as he opened the file and scanned through the documents, then he read it slower. "What is it Dave? You're as pale as a ghost." He looked up at his mother, the disbelief robbing him of words for a few moments.

"They're accusing Charlie for being behind the assassination attempt."
 
Charlie had a smile on her face that nothing could take away as she slipped from his rooms and made her way to her own. She needed to change and gather the things she would need before they started their day. It would be a busy one, but somehow the thought that Dave loved her so much made it a little more bearable.

As she made her way to her apartments, she noticed that there was a guard posted out in front of her door. Had Dave given her security now? It seemed a little odd, she thought to herself as the man spotted her and told her to stop before he radioed to someone else that she was there.

The head of security of the royal family stepped from her room, a strange look on his face. "Miss Weir." He said, giving her a nod.

"What's going on?" She asked him, hearing the sounds of other voices in her rooms. "Why are you all here?"

"I need you to come with me for the time being. There are some things that we need to speak about." He said, standing at a respectful distance, but ushering her down the hallway with his hand.

"Of course." She said softly, looking between him and her bedroom door with a slight frown.

Little did she know but she wouldn't be anywhere near Dave for the rest of the day.
 
It was not Charlie who awaited him when he finished breakfast, it was Sam, one of the official aides. She went through his daily schedule and for some strange reason it all seemed bothersome and boring to him. She kept dodging his questions about Charlie, just stating that she's been delayed and would be along shortly.

He had no time to get behind the truth, it was a meeting, coronation rehearsal, individual meetings with ministers, several audiences and through it all no word from or of Charlie. By the time the aide ushered him back into the living room, Dave was livid. His mother was not there, only Max. The old hound came to his feet and padded over to Dave, Dave looked down into the old grizzled face and started to scratch him behind the ears.

"You know Max, I think there is something going on here, but without somebody to shoot the breeze with, I am lost."

The old hound gave a slight huff and fell silent as he absorbed the attention.
 
Charlie felt like she had been through hell and back. Sitting in the office of Dave's security detail she had been uncerimoniously questioned on all manner of things. They asked about her family, about her father's debts, about her relationship with the royal family. It all set Charlie's teeth on edge and she struggled to figure out just why she was being questioned like a common criminal.

"Am I being charged with something?" Charlie asked, looking at the men across from her with a tilt of her head.

"No." Was the answer from the head of the guard, his steely gaze trying to pin her down. "Should you be charged with something?"

"Well, this constant questioning makes me feel like I've done something incredibly wrong. And you have done nothing to put my mind at ease."

"We are trying to figure out what happened to the prince. Your name has come up as a conspirator. We are doing our jobs, Miss Weir." The guard finally admitted, setting Charlie back slightly.

"If you think I had anything to do with it, then you are sorely mistaken." Charlie said in a deep voice, one that was slightly wounded and defensive.
 
Dinner was a lonely affair, with only Max for company and his mother at a meeting. Dave suddenly realized just how much Charlie was part of his life and how much he missed her this one day seperated from her. He noticed the file and picked it up, reading through it again. The fact that practically all the information came from either "official sources" or "anonymous informants" only caught up with him now.

Perusing the pages, he couldn't see one bit of tangible proof, but he knew that if this leaked out, Charlie would be in deep trouble. He sat back, thinking about the first warning, the silent preparations and the shooting incident itself. He knew Charlie, knew her as well as he knew himself and he knew she didn't act her emotions and reactions. She did not know.

He knew where she was, nobody wanted to tell him, but he knew. Pushing from the table, he pulled on his jacket and pushed out of the door. He could hear guards scurrying to catch up, to do their job, but he didn't care. At a brisk walk he walked to the security building. He shoved the door open forcefully and entered, he walked through reception, the guard's questions falling on deaf ears. Into the offices and to the only interrogation room, a guard stepped into his path to block him. A left to the solar plexus and a right cross to the jaw dropped the unsuspecting man.

He practically barged through the door, the guard jumping to his feet and there she sat, tired and drawn with an expression he did not care for as it didn't belong on her face. He stared at her for a few moments and then spoke to the guard, "Get out."

"But..."

Dave turned a steely gaze on the man, "You are doing your job, I pay for that job, I am your crown prince and future king. You will leave this room now." The ice in his voice would have shattered steel, behind him the man he had knocked down was helped to his feet by other guards. Deathly silence lay behind him and fiinally the guard relented and walked out. Dave closed the door behind the man and turned to Charlie.

"I told you to work with them, not leave me to work for them."

The little joke was his way of telling her that he did not believe that she would turn against him.
 
Back
Top