Segment Blockers

Bebop3

Really Experienced
Hi,

Do you use anything to signify the end of a segment in a story? For example, do you usePart One (and Part Two and Three...) to note story progression?

Some people use character breaks like three asterisks in a row (***) between lines to signify that the story has progressed and we are moving on.

I think that I need to do something like that for the second chapter of what I'm working on. I'm not using any segues at all and it feels a little clunky abruptly going from one narrative stream to another.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Yes, it's good to give the reader some indication that one scene has ended and another has begun.

I use:

<center>* * * * *</center>

which displays like this:

(End scene)

* * * * *​

(New scene)

Do you use anything to signify the end of a segment in a story? For example, do you usePart One (and Part Two and Three...) to note story progression?

If the segments are large enough then you can actually make them chapters. I have two fairly large stories that I've divided internally into numbered chapters. That may have the advantage of giving readers a reference point to return to.

I have used different things in the past including Chapters in a single submission.

Now I use +++ as a break for time or location.

I don't use asterisks because Word can interpret a line of asterisks as a forced page break.

I have used different things in the past including Chapters in a single submission.

Now I use +++ as a break for time or location.

I don't use asterisks because Word can interpret a line of asterisks as a forced page break.

It doesn't do that with four asterisks separated by spaces, which is a standard section break in publishing.

This is great info as I like to use the * but I quit because of Word doing that annoying forced line thing. Sometimes I use three ~'s instead.

I think the Word line problem with the asterisk only comes when you don't put the extra spaces between the asterisks.

I think the Word line problem with the asterisk only comes when you don't put the extra spaces between the asterisks.

I checked in LibreOffice, and inserting the spaces keeps it from autoformatting the asterisks as a horizontal rule. I guess that's what I'll be doing now.

I use a line break and a double hyphen, like this:

Blah blah blah.

—

Blah blah blah.

Seems to work okay.

Yes, it's good to give the reader some indication that one scene has ended and another has begun.

I use:

(End scene)

* * * * *​

(New scene)

The HTML code does not work on the Literotica app.

I don't know what % of readers read stories on the app, but my (uninformed) impression indicates that at least 30% of readers are reading stories on phones or tablets using the app - which does not recognize italics, bold, or any HTML.

The HTML code does not work on the Literotica app.

I don't know what % of readers read stories on the app, but my (uninformed) impression indicates that at least 30% of readers are reading stories on phones or tablets using the app - which does not recognize italics, bold, or any HTML.
All my stories use HTML, some in fairly significant ways. I have never had a reader mention a problem with reading my stories. I used to put a warning at the start of my story to use a browser, but I stopped as it seems that everyone does use a browser to read LitE.

I use as little coding as possible in my stories, just bold and italics in the title and disclaimer.

When I first started posting stories on the internet I had some comments from other countries that plain text (without line breaks) was the most universally acceptable format. It could be read by almost anyone on any device.

As soon as additional features were included in the text, even RTF, some people saw some abnormalities in the story. Even little things such as a single quote mark or apostrophe or French accents corrupted what the reader saw.

I still tend to write bare text but I don't think the problems now are anything like they were in the 1990s whatever device people are using.

Some of my old stories have segment markers which are nice horizontal rules.

I think I've always used a row of asterisks, (I've also tried the <hr/> tag which didnt work), so I'm not sure whether the sanitizer used by Literotica has changed, or whether I did something different in my old stories that made them work. I have to say, the old stories look much better with proper horizontal rules.

If anyone can shed more light on this that would be great!

The only coding I use in stories here is the one for italics--and only rarely bolding (for chapter titles when I'm not dividing my submission into chapters and I have them). I don't fight the stripped-down formatting of the Web site story file.

I use ~ * ~

I use:

(End scene)

* * * * *​

(New scene)

...Does this coding work when you're uploading a document rather than pasting the story in the text box?

Having not posted any stories on Lit (the >narrow< single column and multi-page per chapter just irks me), the relevevance of this post is questionable, but nonetheless, here's for your information:

I use a combo of MS Word (Office XP - I HATE the later "ribbon" menu bar!!) and yWriter 5 (shareware).

Importing a word doc into yWriter, it requires chapter breaks to include the word "Chapter" as each chapter heading, and three asterisks centered for scene breaks.

Likewise, when exporting a yWriter book, it sends it out as an rtf file, and automatically inserts "Chapter" breaks (Word Section Breaks) and inserts the thre centered asterisk for scene breaks.

yWriter automatically works with chapters (any number you set up), and treats each "scene" as a separate entity within the chapters.

Hope this helps someone...
Regards,
D

Back