Not an Role Play but a question

L

Ldy_Sea

I was going through some of my old role plays and thought a few of them were pretty hot. I was thinking about posting them as stories and giving credit to the others involved in the roleplay.

Is there a rule/guideline or anything else about doing this? I have contacted the other posters but some have been inactive for over a year.

Let me know. Thanks.

PS I did cross post this in the SRP thread.

I think it's your responsibility to obtain permission from the originator of any of the material you repost--not their responsibility to respond or you'll use it. (Copyright law believes this too.) Beyond that, it's up to your conscious and your sense of risk. I doubt anyone will sue you (or be able to track you down to do so--of course they could complain to the Web site and have it--and maybe you--pulled.)

On one hand as its been discussed over and over again, when you post something for free on a free site you are to an extent giving up rights to it and if if copyright law would protect you, are you going to pay to fight it?

But having said that I think it falls under "ethical" more than it does legal. If you can't get in touch with the other party then leave it be.

However if the story is that hot simply rewrite their part as you would do it so it might be their concept, but you're completely putting your spin on it.

I was more concerned as to lit policy than legal. As I would not profit from this, and it is available to read for free already on the forums, I believe that reposting it in a different place on the same site would fall under fair use laws...

Not to mention if people who read these stories found out about the hot stuff on the forums they may stop by. I area stories for years before I posted my first, then it was a year or 2 more before I even knew of the forums.

Just change the names and write the usual "This is a work of fiction. Any resemblance with actual persons, living or deceased, is purely coincidental."

I was more concerned as to lit policy than legal. As I would not profit from this, and it is available to read for free already on the forums, I believe that reposting it in a different place on the same site would fall under fair use laws...

Not to mention if people who read these stories found out about the hot stuff on the forums they may stop by. I area stories for years before I posted my first, then it was a year or 2 more before I even knew of the forums.

Fair use is for school libraries essentially. There are other educational applications, but I seriously doubt that they stretch to erotica. Fair Use is one of the most misunderstood and misclaimed aspects of copyright.

As for Lit. policy. I think I covered that. Chances are huge that if someone complained to Laurel that material of theirs had been reposted here without their permission, she'd pull it. I think there have actually been cases--and at least one fairly recently--that she automatically pulled it without even checking out who it really belonged to.

And yeah, yeah, folks think up a lot of reasons why it's OK to use the work of others without their explicit permission.

Strange life: it is NOT OK to add a disclalimer. Plagiarism is plagarism. My advice is. Write your own story. An alternative might be to write your half of the Role play and play the other half yourself, then it will be YOUR story. Otherwise it is LAZY and Plagiarism

Plagiarism is using someone else's work without giving them credit, so if I do give them credit, then it's not plagiarism.

True. But plagiarism isn't the same thing as copyright infringement. And you aren't asking if you can plagiarize; you're asking if you can use an author's work without receiving explicit permission to do so. That's copyright infringement, not plagiarism.

Did I mention that one can always find an excuse to feel justified about using someone else's work without their explicit permission?

The ironic thing is that these often are some of the same folks screaming bloody murder here when another Web site steals and reposts their stories, whether or not the story is properly credited.

And we go back to what you say is your real question--Literotica's policy. I think I accurately noted that policy. If an author complains that their work has been reposted here without their permission, the Literotica editor will take it down. I've complained, and Laurel took it down and erased the perpetrator's account here. I'm sure others have had the same experience.

Last edited:
Incidentally, this is what the U.S. Copyright Office itself has to say about the meaning of the “Fair Use” doctrine under the provisions of section 107 of the copyright law. Essentially that it is for “criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research” and has four criteria to satisfy that erotica probably won’t satisfy until pigs fly. Courts aren't known to be erotica friendly:

http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl102.html

So posting it as story for the trolls to criticize won't qualify? Doesn't seem fair. Anonymous is very good at criticizing. :D

Plagiarize
Let no-one else's work evade your eyes
Remember why the good lord made your eyes
And plagiarize, plagiarize, plagiarize
But be certain always to call it:
Research
--Tom Lehrer, LOBACHEVSKY

I have a couple of half-finished stories based on roleplay. They were written with my coplayer's permission-- enthusiastic permission, even. But I found that my cowriter's half of the work just wasn't up to my exalted standards, and I wanted to replace most of it...

So that's another problem you might come up against.

I have one or two that came out of role-play e-mail exchanges, but I completely redid them in my own writing and used the role play more as an inspiration and a point of departure than a verbatim rendering of the exchanges.

Back