Erotic Couplings or Romance?

D_Lynn

Really Really Experienced
I'm trying to decide if the story I just wrote belongs in Romance or Erotic Couplings? It is definitely a love story, but it is also very erotic.

Is there some defining characteristic I should use to decide which category is best?

Thanks,

D

Romance doesn't feature as much sex as it does seduction.

Erotic couplings on the other hand is more about the sex than the how they get together.

Probably Romance. EC is pretty much a catch-all for "sex but none of the above".

Romance doesn't feature as much sex as it does seduction.

Erotic couplings on the other hand is more about the sex than the how they get together.

Is there ever TOO MUCH sex for Romance? This is definitely a story centered around the connection between two individuals. But there is also a decent amount of fairly graphic sex in it.

Probably Romance. EC is pretty much a catch-all for "sex but none of the above".

I was wondering if that was the case. That's the way I was interpreting that category, but didn't know if it was just me.

Does it have a happy ever after (or close enough) ending? If so, unless it was constructed to follow the set formula of one of the old-style Romance plot systems, I don't think there's a limit on the graphic sex for posting it to Romance.

Does it have a happy ever after (or close enough) ending? If so, unless it was constructed to follow the set formula of one of the old-style Romance plot systems, I don't think there's a limit on the graphic sex for posting it to Romance.

A definite HEA story.

Thanks! That helped decide it for me.

Glad you decided and I'd agree with SR. So many people seem to think the romance category means "soft sex" or fade to black or whatever, and that's not true. The sex can be part of the romance, or part of the attraction between the leads, or whatever. Good luck!

The success of Fifty Shades of Grey has made erotica respectable. I'm glad! The idea that romantic stories should end by closing the bedroom door just before HEA is now well and truly disposed of. We now go into the bedroom not later than Chapter Three. At the end of the Chapter, the well-filled used condom lies on the floor.

The success of Fifty Shades of Grey has made erotica respectable. I'm glad! The idea that romantic stories should end by closing the bedroom door just before HEA is now well and truly disposed of. We now go into the bedroom not later than Chapter Three. At the end of the Chapter, the well-filled used condom lies on the floor.

Try telling that to a mainstream publishing house.

It's made vanilla the flavor of choice.

As TX mentions, try shopping real hardcore erotica to a publishing house.

Isn't going to happen.

Remember with 50 shades you're speaking of a book where the main character referred to her pussy as "down there"

it's Harlequin taken up a notch or two, its still not the type of erotica you find here.

This message is hidden because lovecraft68 is on your ignore list.

This message is hidden because lovecraft68 is on your ignore list.

Back