Your Thanksgiving Plans?

Hello Summer!
So, U.S. folk, what are your Thanksgiving plans? Will the relatives be coming to your house or you to theirs? Will there be turkey or tofurkey? Will it be all harmony, warm conversation and artsy place-settings, or a brawling free-for-all of political arguments with the football game going on the background? Are we talking Norman Rockwell with snow outside, a blazing fireplace, and a patriarch at the head of the table carving the bird...or the Simpsons with everyone nabbing dinner out of the take-out bucket?

Give us a glimpse of what you expect to face this Thursday. :cool:

thanksgiving.jpg

Right now, I have no plans to go anywhere or have anyone come here. My biggest plans are to bag up the leaves and pick up the sticks in the back yard. I'm almost looking forward to a quiet peaceful day to myself.:eek:

No family coming this years--so we're taking in some singles with no family to go to.

No family coming this years--so we're taking in some singles with no family to go to.

That's very nice of you & your wife.

My mother in law does late in the day so I'm going to my church to help serve dinner to the homeless for a while.

Its a good deed and makes me appreciate what I have in life, sometimes its easy to take it for granted and the point of Thanksgiving is to realize what you're thankful for.

I'm having eye surgery the Tuesday before so I'm in charge of nothing this year. Dinner will be at mom's and whatever is served is what I'll eat.

No political arguments in our family. We're all pretty much middle-of-the-road.

We'll head down to my in-laws on T-day, back probably on Sunday. Should be a nice change of scenery, and my kids can fight over spending time with my SIL. :) I will studiously avoid any political conversations b/c I am much more liberal-leaning than they are. And my in-laws are in their late 70s with various health problems, so I don't feel it's worth arguing (most times).

Lets see... 50 mile drive to my mom's for lunch, then a 50 mile back plus 20 more trip to the in-laws for dinner. Then home after dark.

My best hope is not to move the damn car till Monday morning after that.

Get some yard work done then, sit down in front of the computer and try to finish up about five stories that are sitting in purgatory on my hard drive.

And my in-laws are in their late 70s with various health problems, so I don't feel it's worth arguing (most times).

Depends. Do they have good life insurance policies and who's the beneficiary? (*sorry* :D)

Family members are trekking down to NYC to see the Macy's parade. I'm not going because I don't like parades.

At 4 there will be a large gathering for festing.

Depends. Do they have good life insurance policies and who's the beneficiary? (*sorry* :D)

LOL I'm guessing yes on the first part but couldn't really say on the second.

It's one of those things where it's just not worth arguing when we're there -- and it raises my BP as well. So I figure I'm just looking after my own health. ;)

LOL I'm guessing yes on the first part but couldn't really say on the second.

It's one of those things where it's just not worth arguing when we're there -- and it raises my BP as well. So I figure I'm just looking after my own health. ;)

A couple of days ago, I had the joy of informing one of my Libertarian cousins that his name translates in Old English as "tax collector" (something I learned on a recent vacation there). So, relatives can give you a little fun now and then. :D

Last edited:
A couple of days ago, I had the joy of informing one of my Libertine cousins that his name translates in Old English as "tax collector" (something I learned on a recent vacation there). So, relatives can give you a little fun now and then. :D

I don't need fun. Just a break from the kids. :)

I don't need fun. Just a break from the kids. :)

Move to Europe and leave them in the States. That's what I did and it worked a charm--for both us and them. (We made enough money to get them through the unversity and set up and they learned enough independence to not show up on our doorstep looking for a place to live.)

Last edited:
We have reservations for a Thanksgiving buffet at one of the local resorts; a veritable groaning board of Thanksgiving delicacies from soups to desserts with an excellent selection of wines to wash it all down. :D

Turkey rabbit ribs Mac cheese potatoes and all good things. Good things except the I laws disturbing me peace.

Move to Europe and leave them in the States. That's what I did and it worked a charm--for both us and them. (We made enough money to get them through the unversity and set up and they learned enough independence to not show up on our doorstep looking for a place to live.)

I'm hardly going to leave my two kids, who are eight and four, and go abroad. I don't need that much of a break. :)

And speaking as someone whose parents stayed in the States and raised me and my brother -- you can teach independence that way too. Neither my brother nor I expects handouts from our parents. Nor does my husband or his sisters expect it from their parents. So, it can be done when everyone's in the same country.

I'm hardly going to leave my two kids, who are eight and four, and go abroad. I don't need that much of a break. :)

Well, of course, you can't leave them behind at that age. When ours were that age we took them with us to places with full-time maid service and nannies. :D

Well, of course, you can't leave them behind at that age. When ours were that age we took them with us to places with full-time maid service and nannies. :D

I honestly am not sure if you're kidding there or not. If not, well, good for you. If yes, hahaahha. :D

I honestly am not sure if you're kidding there or not. If not, well, good for you. If yes, hahaahha. :D

I'm serious. And it was planned. I was raised (until high school) overseas, where people still had maids. And when it came around to my turn, I took a job that took me overseas and that paid well too (and where we could have full-time help). I wanted to keep my kids out of the States until high school--and it has made a huge difference in terms of their world view and attitudes toward life.

When they were in college and the job called to go overseas, we left them with paid-up apartments and tuition bills and money to live on and a car each. And the differentials and danger pay we earned for living/workng overseas made it all a wash.

(And, no, it didn't happen on inherited money, so Mr.Swiftboater needn't even start to gear up for that. We both worked our asses off.)

I'm serious. And it was planned. I was raised (until high school) overseas, where people still had maids. And when it came around to my turn, I took a job that took me overseas and that paid well too (and where we could have full-time help). I wanted to keep my kids out of the States until high school--and it has made a huge difference in terms of their world view and attitudes toward life.

When they were in college and the job called to go overseas, we left them with paid-up apartments and tuition bills and money to live on and a car each. And the differentials and danger pay we earned for living/workng overseas made it all a wash.

(And, no, it didn't happen on inherited money, so Mr.Swiftboater needn't even start to gear up for that. We both worked our asses off.)

Well again, good for you and congratulations. I'm glad it worked for you. These aren't options for us.

Ah yes, Thanksgiving.

Where you give everyone the bird and they thank you for it. :D

We have to celebrate it at my mom's side of the family as well as my dad's.

At my dad's side of the family, it's a pretty standard 'traditional' affair. We eat a whole lot of turkey, stuffing, cranberries and pie while the dudes watch football and everyone else talks about politics. My mother and I are both bleeding-heart commie democrats so we have to keep our mouths shut during the whole politics thing. :D

My mom's side of the family is always more interesting and diverse. Two vegetarians, two vegans and a crazy lesbian cousin with her string of odd girlfriends keeps things interesting. Also, no turkey.

It's pretty hit-and-miss. On one hand, the succotash from two years ago tasted like dog barf. But the pesto and artichoke dip from last year was to die for. :p

Back