Major new feature preview: Story Series

Manu

Just A Test Title OK
Hi Authors!

We are previewing a new feature today on Literotica. Are you excited? Me too! :D

The new feature is called "Story Series" and it will allow readers to view your multipart stories in context. This feature is closely related to the "Also in this series" feature which we started testing on Lit some months ago.

So, without further ado, here is a link to the Series category pages:
http://www.literotica.com/series/

This is just the first testing version of the feature. In the future, we will continue tweaking the feature and adding more elements to it. For example, in the future, you should be able to (optionally) add a description for the entire series, rather than having it listed under the description from part one, as it is now.

Multi-part stories have become an increasingly important and popular part of Literotica, so we want to give them the attention that they deserve.

Please let me know what you think of the feature and post your suggestions for improvements here in this thread!

Thanks. :)

I like it!

But what we want more than anything is a revamp of the categories.... "Loving Wives" is a cesspit of hatred. And sexist in title.
Even if older stories don't get moved into them, writers would like to have better delineations for their new stories.

No, it doesn't excite me much. Authors can put their series in context now with notes in parenthesis either at the beginning or the end of their stories. The reason they don't often is because they don't often think ahead on what will be a series and where it will go--and I don't see this changing. It isn't all that clear from a scan what information this gives that isn't given on the main category listings. for instance, it seems that series still have to be linked by common title, which doesn't cover all of the stories posted here in serial form. And it's not clear why those already linked by common title need linking beyond what is currently provided. Will have to study this more to see what the value added is.

There's been a lot of discussion on the boards concerning what could be changed/added--one of which Stella mentions. Never heard this mentioned as a need, though. (Hadn't heard any burning need for that "similar stories" feature--which doesn't actually identify stories that are similar at all--either before it was instituted.) Almost as if those considering upgrades aren't reading the forum at all to listen to what those who contribute stories here would like to see changed/added.

I'd like to see a little less overwhelming favoritism to the straight stories (which plays out in the contests as well). Like adding a real bi category and giving more balancing categories for bi, gay male, and lesbian. The site really is prejudicial now toward straight categories.

And a complete revamping of the contest set up.

Last edited:
I like it!

But what we want more than anything is a revamp of the categories.... "Loving Wives" is a cesspit of hatred. And sexist in title.
Even if older stories don't get moved into them, writers would like to have better delineations for their new stories.

I second the motion.

It's fine...another way to access stories if one is seeking series.

As mentioned, category upgrades would be nice. At present, on a couple of stories I had to tell people what to expect, and they still got bent out of shape saying it should be in another category. Go figure.

There is this problem of parts of series placed in different categories. I haven't checked a specific one (since I don't write them that way; have only read complaints about them in the forum), but the new series list is broken down by established categories. For a series spread over several categories, does the reader have to guess which category to look in or are they listed with complete chapter listings in each category they originally posted to as parts?

And to pursue a point from my earier posting by example: I have a series (written for the last Christmas contest) where the only common title word is "Second." How does the new system permit me to identify these as a series and get them listed in proper reading order--if at all? (and if not at all, the new system doesn't really cover series comprehensively, does it?) Although the series have now been grouped on my story list, these haven't been (as there's no way for the current system to identify that they are a series).

I have a couple of even a longer series scattered across my story page with nothing linking in the titles (e.g., what eventually got published as Flying High and Man's Man). In some cases, I've given direction to the next in a note in the story body and in the case of the Flying High series, my profile gives a map to how to read them in order. But I don't see the new series feature offering me a way to identify them as a series from any listings. I still can't see how the reader is seeing much of any enhancement over the preexisting listings in terms of identifying series.

No, it doesn't excite me much. Authors can put their series in context now with notes in parenthesis either at the beginning or the end of their stories. The reason they don't often is because they don't often think ahead on what will be a series and where it will go--and I don't see this changing. It isn't all that clear from a scan what information this gives that isn't given on the main category listings. for instance, it seems that series still have to be linked by common title, which doesn't cover all of the stories posted here in serial form. And it's not clear why those already linked by common title need linking beyond what is currently provided. Will have to study this more to see what the value added is.

There's been a lot of discussion on the boards concerning what could be changed/added--one of which Stella mentions. Never heard this mentioned as a need, though. (Hadn't heard any burning need for that "similar stories" feature--which doesn't actually identify stories that are similar at all--either before it was instituted.) Almost as if those considering upgrades aren't reading the forum at all to listen to what those who contribute stories here would like to see changed/added.

I'd like to see a little less overwhelming favoritism to the straight stories (which plays out in the contests as well). Like adding a real bi category and giving more balancing categories for bi, gay male, and lesbian. The site really is prejudicial now toward straight categories.

And a complete revamping of the contest set up.

There are more straight stories but, let's face it, there are a lot more straight people.

We have 28 story categories (and four poetry and two essay) with two of them, Lesbian and Gay Male, non-hetero. T/M is usually asexual, but it can be hetero. All the others can go either way. For instance, I recently posted an incest story involving a woman and her niece, and I will be submitting a NC/R story involving two women. Group Sex usually has a gay component, and First Time can be either.

What I'm saying is that non-hetero stories are quite common on the site. :cool:

ETA: Should stories in a series always be in the same category? I have one series going, Marian and Ryan, and the four stories to date are in First Time, Mature, Anal, and Group, because those are the topics of the four stories to date. I willl probably add another Group story and a Lesbian one. There are three stories that are sort of a prequel to the series, and they are two Masturbation stories and an E/V one.

ETA: I agree with what Stella said about Lovingl Wives. The title, IMHO is strictly sarcastic. because it is about women cheating on their husbands, usually with good reason.

Last edited:
What I'm saying is that non-hetero stories are quite common on the site.

And typically slashed and burned on placement alone when placed anywhere but "their place." I think this is a case where you got to have done it a lot to know, Box.

When you can get an annual category W, for instance, in twenty straight categories and no bi category and only one each lesbian and gay category, you are strongly being shown a prejudice.

Last edited:
What I'd love to see is a way to indicate whether a series is finished or not. It's so annoying to start reading a series that turns out to be unfinished and the author hasn't submitted anything for five years. It'd be lovely to know right from the start whether the ending of what I'm reading is already written and submitted.

Since we are somewhat on the subject, I would like to add something else. I have a series about Angel Jones, a TS, besides the Marian & Ryan series I mentioned in my previous post. What I would have preferred is to have them posted as Angel 1, angel2, etc. omitting the "Chapter" designation. These are stand alone stories about the same centrsal chartacter, and I want it known that they are parts of a series, rather than think they are chapters in an ongoing novel. The Marian & Ryan series is the same kind of thing. :eek:

When somebody submits a series of stories with names such as I described above, would it be possible to refrain from designating them as chapters? There are some people who are not interested in reading long stories, and that designation would make people think that's what these are. :eek:

What I'd love to see is a way to indicate whether a series is finished or not. It's so annoying to start reading a series that turns out to be unfinished and the author hasn't submitted anything for five years. It'd be lovely to know right from the start whether the ending of what I'm reading is already written and submitted.

Not something the system could do much about, though, is it? If an author isn't conscientious enough to finish off a series, he/she couldn't be counted on to come back and register that the series was complete now (or wasn't going to be added to) even if the system provided a mechanism for doing so.

I've realized there was a problem of my series not identifying the last one even when I knew what the last one was (I'll admit I did reopen a series once here after my intended "last one" because a few commenters were too smug on saying they had seen the original ending coming). A poster suggested including "final" rather than a chapter number for the last one, and maybe I'll try that (and hope the new system is set up to catch it).

The bottom line I see on the change is that it only picks up on series that use a common title (the submissions mechanism could be changed to allow more flexibility on titles and still get the linking done) and just adds another list of information available on the current lists.

Since we are somewhat on the subject, I would like to add something else. I have a series about Angel Jones, a TS, besides the Marian & Ryan series I mentioned in my previous post. What I would have preferred is to have them posted as Angel 1, angel2, etc. omitting the "Chapter" designation. These are stand alone stories about the same centrsal chartacter, and I want it known that they are parts of a series, rather than think they are chapters in an ongoing novel. The Marian & Ryan series is the same kind of thing. :eek:

When somebody submits a series of stories with names such as I described above, would it be possible to refrain from designating them as chapters? There are some people who are not interested in reading long stories, and that designation would make people think that's what these are. :eek:

Yes, I was thinking of some you've mentioned when indicating that the added feature doesn't seem to give any relief in this area. I have a couple of "redux" titles too, giving links to standalone but related stories--and of course neither the old nor the new system gets these linked.

If the series is a series of stand alone stories, I don't see that it makes a difference. Sometimes the authors will keep adding episodes, and won't know themselves when it's finished. If it's an actual continued story, such as are usually found in the Novels category, I tend to agree with you, although I am guilty. I have a novel going, and it will be probably ten or eleven chapters, and I have posted five, and won't be finishing it until next year, at the earliest. :eek:

And typically slashed and burned on placement alone when placed anywhere but "their place." I think this is a case where you got to have done it a lot to know, Box.

When you can get an annual category W, for instance, in twenty straight categories and no bi category and only one each lesbian and gay category, you are strongly being shown a prejudice.

I'm not sure what you mean by "slashed and burned" unless you mean trolled. :confused:

I'm also not sure how we could have a "Bi" category. If there are two men having sex and one is bi, it will go in Gay Male, and likewise with two women. If there are three persons, either MFM of FMF, it will go into the Group category, even if there is some bisexual activity, as there almost always would be. T/M usually involves only one person, who can be either gay or straight. If two people are involved in a story in that category, they would usually be a man and a woman.

E/C would almost have to be straight but stories in any other category could be either gay or straight, on neither or both.

I'm also not sure how we could have a "Bi" category. If there are two men having sex and one is bi, it will go in Gay Male, and likewise with two women. If there are three persons, either MFM of FMF, it will go into the Group category, even if there is some bisexual activity, as there almost always would be. T/M usually involves only one person, who can be either gay or straight. If two people are involved in a story in that category, they would usually be a man and a woman.

Yeah, that certainly shows tunnel vision--so I guess you're not going to grasp the prejudicial part, are you? :rolleyes:

Bi can easily separate into MM/F and F/MM. It's not rocket science. Other story boards do it.

I don't disagree with you on how "group" <i>should,/i> be taken. I've just gotten shat upon for category rather than storyline there enough that I avoid it because of how it is actually perceived by many reading there.

I can see you're not going to be able to look beyond your horizons on this.

I have one series, "Goody Two-Shoes", with parts that cover a range of categories. In the new Series list, it's listed under "First Time" because that's what the first story in the series was categorized as. I'd guess that's probably what they've done with all series that have parts in multiple categories.

I've seen a lot of comments on the boards about a need for different categories, or at least different category names. I agree, some of the current categories just don't seem to work, or need to be broken down into smaller parts.

I agree with Jen.....it would be nice to know if the story is current. But over all I like the new format.

"Swinging spouses"--adultery by mutual consent

Vengeful husbands" Men who set their wives up for whatever it is.

"Cuckolded husbands." Wives who make their own decisions.

"Swinging spouses"--adultery by mutual consent

Vengeful husbands" Men who set their wives up for whatever it is.

LOL...I love that but ....Vengeful husbands should be 'assholes who love to hurt'

"Vengeful husbands" Men who set their wives up for whatever it is.

Well, that certainly is an objective distinction. :eek:

Think you and box would make a nice set of bookends.

*ahem* Getting back to the thread topic...As a reader, I don't see this helping all that much. I could already tell for myself that The River, Chapter 10 was probably going to follow The River, Chapter 09. The next story in this series link at the end of a chapter is a useful way to follow a series, but this feature doesn't really add to that.

Looking at the submission page, I don't see any added feature that allows the author to designate a story as part of a larger grouping. As sr71 has already noted, it would be nice if a stand alone sequel could be tied in with previous stories in the same series, even though they aren't really chapters and have different titles.

Well, that certainly is an objective distinction. :eek:

Think you and box would make a nice set of bookends.
You got anything better? :rolleyes:

maybe it could be;

"A good fuck was had by all,"

"She deserves it,"

He deserves it."

I have been looking at how the feature works with my stories.

Some have come out well: Flawed Red Silk; Shelacta.

Some series have caught part but not all: Brigit (part 1) & Brigit Too (part 2) but not Brigit's Babies (part 3); Brobdingnag 1 to 5 but not the conclusion 6.

Some are not a series. I wrote two separate essays about Free Speech but I didn't intend them to be read together.

Some of my series are difficult to link together: Loving Hannah has a sequel Hannah and Kay but apart from being different titles they are in different categories.

The Chain Stories category appears to have caused the most problems because they are written by different authors. Only a few of the Literotica Olympics and The Worst Chain Story Ever have managed to link together.

I intended to link, if possible, all my Silverbridge Chronicles but I would have to edit and resubmit them with sequential titles. I have been reluctant to do that because I have written and am writing prequels, sequels and stories taking place at the same time as others. Even I found it difficult to assign particular stories to the right place in the sequence until I printed the posted stories and the partial drafts all out, spread the texts over a large table, and highlighted key points to show me where each story fitted into the so-far incomplete whole.

I like the new feature but I would like more control for the authors about how stories are presented in the series.

Og

PS. Jeanne's Laundry Tales didn't fare too well either. The feature has picked up only the first two of the four stories and also missed the out-of-sequence one Haunted Shawl.

Last edited:
You got anything better? :rolleyes:

maybe it could be;

"A good fuck was had by all,"

"She deserves it,"

He deserves it."

You mean you offered that deferentiation seriously? Oh, my. :eek:

husbands are setting their wives up and wandering wives are just making choices?

Back