Ever had a life changing event that literally changed you?

Captainnumnuts

Literotica Guru
I've had 2. 1st one was when the man I considered my father (non-biological) died. I truly learned to become a man who walked the walk, but not instantly.

The 2nd was about 1 yr ago I was bashed in the head by a stranger as I attempted to save a dog he was beating on. 7 days later I came out of coma brain damaged and no memories but some abilities I didn't have before as well as some deficits. My personality is 100% different. I'm literally a different person. I quickly learned to talk and communicate to others simply by watching them. Discovered who and what I was as most memories came back over time, but happy with who I am now. Not bad for a guy almost everyone thought died. I never cease to amaze me.

I've had 2. 1st one was when the man I considered my father (non-biological) died. I truly learned to become a man who walked the walk, but not instantly.

The 2nd was about 1 yr ago I was bashed in the head by a stranger as I attempted to save a dog he was beating on. 7 days later I came out of coma brain damaged and no memories but some abilities I didn't have before as well as some deficits. My personality is 100% different. I'm literally a different person. I quickly learned to talk and communicate to others simply by watching them. Discovered who and what I was as most memories came back over time, but happy with who I am now. Not bad for a guy almost everyone thought died. I never cease to amaze me.

Yes. You got time to read 53,000 words about it?

Congratulations on your recovery from that very traumatic experience.

giant heart attack that came out of nowhere, had never been sick a day in my life.

giant heart attack that came out of nowhere, had never been sick a day in my life.

Don't get on that shit man. I'll be 50 this year and that shit scares me. I eat healthy (mostly), jog every other day, quit smoking over 10 years ago, don't drink to excess.
That "out of nowhere" shit is what scares me the most.

Yes. You got time to read 53,000 words about it?

Congratulations on your recovery from that very traumatic experience.

Of course I'd like to read it.

And thanks...recovery is ongoing. But thank the doctor that didn't give up on me. I mean, how can you possibly repay someone who saves your life? And we've become friends.....I'm truly honored and blessed. I've been a royal pain in the ass since he brought me back from the abyss. Like the day I drove miles for a special appointment and I seen him running back and forth through the lobby and I'm like "Dude! Take a downer!" "I brought you some marsh mellows! Do you know how hard it is to smuggle this stuff past the guards?" He and everyone else there starts laughing (embarrassing), he takes the marsh mellows and slowly goes back to whatever he was doing.

I’ve read a bunch of stories on lit and it’s probably one of the better ones I’ve come across .. probably becasue it’s real

I've lost count at 5, I think.

In fact, I came on here, in part, by accident, looking for writers interested in helping write my life story.

I've lost count at 5, I think.

In fact, I came on here, in part, by accident, looking for writers interested in helping write my life story.

For now, why not enjoy simply writing while it's in your head? Have some fun reflecting your life. When you think you're done, break from it, then come back to read it - you'll have a more objective opinion. From there, edit it or let someone else dabble with the technical stuff.

Life changing events? Too many to count in my fairly long life. Chance encounters, sad or nasty traumas, serious fuckups and rare rescues, sublime inspirations, unplanned detours, odd luck, etc. I've made lists of events I could and couldn't have avoided.

There was this one time, many many yrs ago, I encountered my 1st rotary while driving and got confused. I picked an exit and never went back. Does that count?

Still true.

I've always been a child of 2 worlds. Always will be.

My 2nd life changing event was nothing short of a miracle. As I lay unconscious in coma, it was like being 2 people. One aware, the other one dead. At one time, I heard all these construction noises in my head - like drilling noises and tools being moved about. I distinctively heard distant voices arguing about something. Then, I felt air on my brain. One clear thought only - "My God! It's me! They're cutting into my head!"

I awoke some time later. A total blank. I was alone. No thoughts but one - "I Am!" . There was this voice from nowhere in my head that kept whispering,"Get up! Just live." That voice remains, but guides me in the simplest, most subtle ways.

I was shuffled around, everything a blur, and started feeling things. Then passed out. I awoke again and was in another room. Alone. So much pain. Then, the most beautiful thing in the world happened. A nurse appeared and said,"Mr.*name*. You're alive. You'll be fine." She was like an angel. I tried to speak, but started to cry. I was so confused not knowing what happened or who I was. People came to see me. Some memories started drifting into my head and continue to do so - but they stay. "I Am!"

Recovery came quickly. I reveled in it! I was so happy to be alive! No negative thoughts. No attempts to figure out my past. Along the way, I realized I became the person I always wanted to be. Not even the small part of my brain that's dead bothers me in the slightest. No more nightmares. No dreams at all these days.

I Am.

Marriage and divorce.

Marriage at first tried to change me into something or things that I was not. Part of the real me was the erotic writing that I did and it was that part of me that at least partially attracted my ex to me.

From the morning of our ceremony (we eloped) on, he expected me to turn into someone pristine who loved to cook (I do love that), keep the house spotless at all times (no way) and would somehow use my writing to male millions. I don't know what it was that he expected me to write. I did write a lot of poetry and some novels but due to the way I am deep down inside, there was always an erotic aspect to my writing, even when I tried not to write like that. And that disgusted him.

I learned that for a time, there was no escape. I was now living with someone I did not know at all. Everything that had attracted me to him had been a lie. He was nothing but a control freak and a really good liar. He not only told lies to me but about me, eventually driving everyone in my life away. I wanted nothing to do with him and yet for a wide variety of reasons could not get away from him.

And then? After 22 years of marriage, he filed for divorce. This is when I began to realize just how cruel and evil he really could be. My lawyer referred to him as psycho! I have always been a strong person but had to learn to become even stronger. His intention was to leave me homeless and penniless. And he did his best to do that but I was always one step ahead. By this point, I fairly well knew his modus operandi!

So now I am divorced and getting my old life back, only better. I shall be a better person, filled with love and light and I shall attract abundance. The trust thing will be hard though. Gotta work on that.

344387834.jpg

Just finished chapter one...nice work ! Looking forward to the rest.

It's a very realistic read, you might need a shower after reading it. I'm waiting for the happily-ever-after "we got married" epilogue.

I've had three dates in my life that literally changed me:

1. March 25, 1978 (hey, 40 years ago yesterday!) sport parachute malfunction. Broke my right leg and ankle. Months of traction.
  2. June 15, 2012 Bariatric surgery. Lost 150 pounds and kept it off. Deprived the RWCJ here of their beloved "but...but...Rob is FAT!" retorts.
  3. February 28, 2018 had my second hip replacement done. The first one was a month earlier. Can now follow my dream again of kicking field goals in the NFL

Last edited:
It's a very realistic read, you might need a shower after reading it. I'm waiting for the happily-ever-after "we got married" epilogue.

I've had three dates in my life that literally changed me:

1. March 25, 1978 (hey, 40 years ago yesterday!) sport parachute malfunction. Broke my right leg and ankle. Months of traction.
  2. June 15, 2012 Bariatric surgery. Lost 150 pounds and kept it off. Deprived the RWCJ here of their beloved "but...but...Rob is FAT!" retorts.
  3. January 31, 2018 had my second hip replacement done. The first one was a month earlier. Can now follow my dream again of kicking field goals in the NFL

Couldn't do bilateral (same time) because insurance won't authorize it (when you have both done at once, you have to stay for 4-5 days in a rehab center). So I had the right one done on Jan 31st and the left one done on Feb 28th. Came home the next day after each surgery. I'm now walking without a cane (hard surfaces like asphalt or concrete sidewalks still hurt). Physical therapy three times a week.

Do you how hard a time I had photoshopping that picture? :p
:confused:

Back