Rape victim and detective

uberundunter

Virgin
Joined
Nov 28, 2012
Posts
19
There is a widespread belief that female detectives are better able to work with sexual assault victims than are male detectives. While there certainly are rape survivors who can't or won't open up to a male investigator, many rape survivors are able to open up to a male detective who comes across as compassionate and protective, and the same women may quickly shut down if interviewed by a female detective who seems a little too business like or judgmental. I am speaking from experience, after almost 20 years in law enforcement.

Working with sex crime victims can be emotionally draining, but, when you put their attackers behind bars and if/when you witness the victim recovering her confidence, it can be as personally rewarding as anything you can experience in law enforcement. And, sex crime/SVU investigators generally stay in contact with the victims all the way through the trial, and sometimes beyond...much more so than typically is the case with robberies, burglaries, etc. Some genuine bonding can occur. If it is kept within limits, that can be a good thing, there sometimes is potential for something more than platonic and less than professional.

Could a manipulative male detective take advantage? Sure, but that sort of guy probably would be exposed before too long. On the other hand, picture a detective who has good intentions, who genuinely likes and cares about women, generally, and who has protective feelings toward the victims he works with. Meanwhile, a vulnerable victim comes to see him as her protector, and as one of the few guys in her life whose ever treated he with respect and consideration. Additional factors could be that her boyfriend or husband had distanced himself from her as a result of the rape, or may even see himself as the victim (it happens), and maybe the detective's marriage is going down hill, and he begins to realize that the victim appreciates things about him that he himself values, but his wife doesn't. Keep in mind that, from the very first time they met, when he interviewed her, the victim has shared with the detective painful details that she might not have been able share with any of her friends or family, and especially not with her significant other.

Doesn't it all just reek of a "special connection," underlying tensions that build," heart vs. head, etc.? In some ways, its similar to a gender-reversed version of a traditional wounded war hero/angel-of-mercy nurse romance. And, of course, when the two come together (yes, that could be thought of as a pun, but let's not) in the end, it not only would be about love and lust, but also healing and triumph over adversity.

I don't think I'm the guy to write it, but I hope someone else will. If someone is interested and needs any technical assistance with the cop or legal stuff, feel free to PM me. If there is anything I can't answer on my own, I guarantee that one of my friends will know.
 
I think you have an idea for a great story, but I don't believe it can be told in the short story format. Done properly, this story will require at least 200 pages. It would start with the rape, or perhaps the victim reporting the rape, and proceed to the initial interview of the victim by the detective. She would then be examined, followed by the investigation. The attraction between the two would have to progress very slowly. There would be a mini-climax when the perp. is arrested, followed by the beginning of the court proceedings. This would be where the romance really begins to grow. The victim is increasingly frustrated by the defense stall tactics, and the detective is constantly there to reassure her. By the time the case finally reaches trial their feelings for each other are fully developed, but they must be suppressed so as not to compromise the case. At the conclusion of the trial there is a huge release of emotion, and the two are no longer able to deny their feelings for one another, which leads to a torrid physical release. There is definitely a story here, but I think it is too big for lit.
 
Here is how i see it after she is raped then the detective is put on the case and is assigned to protect her while the police investigate and track down the bad guy. While the detective is guarding her he slowly falls in love with her.

But he must suppress his feelings for her until the bad guy is found, then the trial takes place. once the bad guy is put away in prison the detective decides to take a chance and asks her out knowing that she could say yes or she could say no.

She says yes they go out on a nice date and over time the romance grows and eventually they marry.
 
It's a pretty broad scope and a massive undertaking for one author. How about making it a chain story with you as the technical advisor? Find a group of authors with different talents and see where the story takes them. Could be a horrible idea, but could be a fun exercise, too.
 
A chain story might make sense, but I'm probably too much of a control freak (albeit one who is in denial much of the time) to encourage that.

Out of curiosity, I tried starting the story on my own. Fifteen pages later, I'm still developing the detective character. The estimate that his could be a 200 page story isn't far off the mark, but I think it would start too slowly to be popular with most Literotica readers. Anyone disagree with that? And, even if there were potential readers, who would want to take on the editing?

If someone else wants to give it a try, I'll help any way that I can. Otherwise, maybe I'll just keep cranking out a few pages a day, without worrying about whether or not I ever finish it. If I do finish it, then I'll have to figure out if and where to publish it.

I DO think it has potential for a good story, and maybe even for novel (authored by someone better and faster than I am). I've already figured out how to explain the detective's vulnerability/lack of cynicism.

Anyhow, thanks to all for the feedback/suggestions.
 
Seems to me it would start off with a pretty realistic non-consensual story, and then shift into a police procedural, a timid romance, a courtroom drama, a torrid romance, a suspense-filled climax, and a happily-ever after ending. Can you tell I gave it some thought? I think it might be perfect for a serial story--if the characters are real and fresh and genuine. I think Lit readers would buy into that.
 
Back
Top