Bonds of Paper (closed for Mayu)

tinwoodsman

the Enabler
Joined
Mar 5, 2011
Posts
1,321
By 28 years of age, Jared was making six figures a year and right on track to become the youngest broker to make Senior partner that his firm had ever seen. It afforded him a large loft in the upscale side of town and great clothes but very little free time.

When his step-father explained that his sister Bella was going to moving to the city he offered his own place so that she only had to focus on school. Why not? He had the room, and since his idea of a wild night was watching Fringe in HD, he figured she'd have all the time she needed to focus on her studies.

Bella was 19, and short of a few holiday visits over the last couple of years, he'd all but lost touch with her since leaving for college a decade ago. But there was a time when Bella wasn't Jared's sister, being his step-father's daughter from a previous marriage, and over the years she'd gone from 3-year old brat to teenage-best friend, so when he realized she needed a place to say and he had more rooms in his loft than he knew what to do with, he couldn't say 'No'.
Tom-WELLING.jpg
 
Last edited:
21d5rr.jpg


Bella was glad that she was getting a place to stay, even though she didn't like just doing it for free. Jared was always sweet though, they had become pretty close after a while which was very nice to let, she was very glad that she had at least someone to talk to now. Being alone all the time was something she wasn't into, even though they were not really related any more. Then again Bella was never very good at the family tree thing, but she had spent a day there already. She went out to just relax, she wanted to watch some TV and noticed that Jared was home.

"Hey Jared, I'm surprised your home" She said happily.
 
He smiled brightly and explained, "Bank Holiday." He lowered his gaze, as if it could help him gather his thoughts and added, "When the banks are closed we can't exactly do our jobs as easily, so the firm closed down."

Jared stood up, not sure why, but feeling the need to do something or be somewhere. It was like he'd forgotten to do something, but he didn't know what it was. Looking back at Bella he suddenly got the idea to invite her to do something today. Yes. Show her the city. That's all it is. He thought, managing to justify his sudden nervousness to not being rude.

"Hey! Why don't I make you my famous French toast, and then I can show you the city!"

When Bella was 7, and Jared 16, he was tasked with babysitting her for a weekend. The only thing he really knew how to make, and not that well, was French Toast. Year's later he would find out he'd been making it wrong, but since then Bella swore up and down that no one made French toast as good a Jared. For now, Jared was willing to do nearly anything to keep a smile on Bella's face.

***************************************************

Shane had been working at the hospital for a few year now, so when someone like Bella came along he was more than willing to show her the ropes and offer to show her around the town. They both had the day off, thanks to a swap in schedules with Brian. The switch would require Shane to do some clinic hours but he planned to make it worth the extra work.

Reaching the address Bella had given him, Shane took a moment to check out the lobby. The whole condo didn't seem like the kind of place a medical student could afford, and he instantly assumed she had a rich family. After taking the elevator up he knocked on the door and looked at the time. He was a couple of minute early so maybe Bella might have slept in and would still be getting dressed.
 
She smiled at the suggestion, she couldn't help but laugh she sighed happily and began to wonder what all was on his mind. "Ive not had your French Toast for, god feels like forever. Id love some and going out into the city sounds like a good idea. Ive never seen you this excited before" She said happily and walked up to him, kissing his cheek. "Your a gentlemen through and through" She said with a huge smile on her face, she relaxed and sat at the table watching him.
 
He smiled shyly and nodded his thanks, "Well, I just feel like it's been so long since we had some time together. Back when I was still at home I saw you all the time, but now..." he shrugged as he pulled the last of the ingredients from the fridge, "I don't know it's like you're this different person. All grown up and in medical school." he laughed lightly, "Last I checked, you're career goal was to become a Princess but you were also 9 at the time."
 
She smiled "Hey now I still want to be a princess, but a princess with a medical degree" She laughed making fun of herself. "It's amazing what time can do, it's like one minute you were forced to babysit me now, you want to babysit me." She chuckled. "But you were really the only one in the family I could talk to fully, you have changed a lot and I'm surprised you have no girlfriend"
 
Jared seems nervous for a moment, but he quickly diverted that energy into whipping up the batter. "Well, I just want us to be friends again. You were the only person who really understood my quirks, you know?"

Her second question was met, first, with an obvious blush. "Oh, the girlfriend thing. Well, I haven't turned gay if that's what your implying." he gave Bella a playful glared and went back to making breakfast, "I just work so much that I find it hard to meet people. I even signed up for one of those websites where they pair you up with the perfect person, but I don't really find the time to respond to the emails I keep getting. It's like-"

There was a solid knocking on the door and Jared's brow knitted as he turned to look past the den. Before he could look away there was another knocking and he glanced back at Bella, confused for a moment, "I wonder who that could be." He put the bowl down and started to make his way to the door, "Hang on Bella, I'm just going to go see who that is."
 
She smiled as she listened to him, but when he made a comment about not turning gay, she chuckled. "Aww shoot and I like the idea of two guys being together" She giggled. And listened to everything he said. But then there was that damn knock, she wasn't expecting anyone being there. Only two people knew she was there, her parents and Shane but she wanted some time away from him, to be with her brother once removed.
 
Jared opened the door to see Shane standing there, and the awkward moment ensued. Tension started to grow immediately, and it was Shane who finally broke the silence asking, "Is Bella here?"

"And you are?" Jared's tone was heavy with inquiry and accusation.

"I'm Shane." When that didn't seem to suffice he added, "I work with Bella at the hospital... and you are?" Shane's tone almost matched Jared's.

"I'm her brother. Well, step-brother." he seemed to sigh in frustration, "Our parents married but we were from- You know what? I don't even know why I'm telling you this."

Shane just shrugged, "Whatever, Bro. Can you tell Bella I'm here?"

"It's Jared. I'm not your 'Bro.'"

Shane smiled, "Well since you did tell you name until just now, I apologize... Jared. Now, can Bella come out and play or does she still have homework to do?"
 
She heard Shane's voice and sighed heavily, she banged her head on the table just about and sighed.

"Shane would you stop being so god damn disrespectful? I am not a fucking child" She was upset and went to the door. "Besides last time I checked you don't own me, I am spending time with my step brother. So I will call you later tonight alright?" She looked at Jared and smiled at him. She kissed Shane on the cheek and watched him leave.

"I'm sorry about that, man if mom told him I was here I am so going to kick her ass" She sighed.
 
"Shane would you stop being so god damn disrespectful? I am not a fucking child" She was upset and went to the door. "Besides last time I checked you don't own me, I am spending time with my step brother. So I will call you later tonight alright?"
Shane just smiled and held up his hands in surrender, "Sorry, babe, I'm just kidding around. I heard you had the day off so I figured I'd swing by." he nodded his farewell to Jared, and slipped in a discrete had on her ass while she planted a kiss on his cheek. "Oh!" he turned back around as if adding an after thought, "Tonight's a big happy hour for the hospital, so let me know. It would be good for you to meet some of the other major surgeon's, just to know who's best for what if you have a critical ER case." he smiles, nods and leaves without causing any further incident.

"I'm sorry about that, man if mom told him I was here I am so going to kick her ass" She sighed.
Jared was simply watching Shane past a slightly hooded glare, looking away only when Bella started talking again. He turned and gave her a smile, "You're right, though. You're not a child. But I hope you'll forgive me if I feel the typical over protection that comes with the territory?" He moved to give her a one armed hug, "Come on. Let's eat and then we'll go out and find you something to wear to your work function."
 
She nodded at Shane and kissed his cheek to be nice, she loved him but right now it was bonding time with her step brother. She shook her head and was fine with how he was, she sat back down to get ready for breakfast and relaxed a bit.

"Shane is harmless but he can be a real dick sometimes, but he knows better then to screw with me. As as for the protective thing don't worry about it, I'm glad you care about me, since we are step siblings now. But your family just the same, can't change that and I don't want to change that.
 
"I wouldn't change it for the world. In fact, I'm kind of glad our parents didn't have another kid together because it was nice being just us." he started on the sacrificial slice, as he called it. Jared's system for making French toast was often trial and error. In fact the first one was usually intentional error so that he could readjust for heat and figure out how long was too long when cooking the rest.

"I know you can take care of yourself, but I still want the privileged of giving the final say on this Shane guy." He smiled at Bella and winked, playfully then teased "I mean, who of all people should be a better judge if someone's worthy or not. Didn't I tell you that 5th Grader, Billy Whats-his-face, was too old for you?"
 
She listened to him and laughed "Yeah I remember that, he was such a jerk in the eight grade. Some older guys can be rather mature like you, but other older guys can be such dumb asses. But hey, I try and keep myself a way out of everything. Ive always looked up to you, but today seeing how Shane was with you. I'm not all that impressed, I mean if you cannot respect my step brother then something is wrong some place"
 
Jared felt a mix of emotions, first there was the pride that Bella had her standards and then a bit of... something else... towards Shane. "Well, we probably got off on the wrong foot. But, I'll say he's not making the best first impression." He tossed aside one good slice of toast and started a second. "I'm still glad to know you've got my back."
 
Bella smiled "I will always have your back Jared, because I know you will have mine. Before we go out in the city, I have something I want you to hear. While I was away I was brushing up on certain skills" She looked at him. "While we were apart I thought about you all the time, I'm glad you wanted me to stay with you"
 
Putting a plate before Bella, Jared smiled and acknowledged her with a nod. "Thank you. At first I offered because it seemed the right thing to do." he put syrup and her favorite breakfast beverage next to the plate and turned to grab a fork and knife, "I had room I wasn't using and I figured it would be selfish not to. But once you showed up I realized how long it's been since I've seen you.

"Honestly, Bella, it's like you're a new person to me, sometimes. But you still feel like home. I've kind of lost touch with that, so it's nice to feel connected again."
 
She smiled as he brought everything out, she put some butter on her breakfast then syrup. She listened to him. "Yeah I'm a new person I'm older now, no longer a child" She said simply. "I'm not saying that you saw me as a child, but still you know. Ive aged, grown and have become a little bit more of an adult." She smirked some "But I am glad that we have reconnected, feels good"
 
Jared nodded, pausing for a moment, and finally smiling, "I'm glad you're here." He reached out and gave Bella a strong one armed hug. "I really have missed you." He stepped away then nodded and turned to gather his own plate of food to join his sister-by-marriage.
 
She smiled while he gave her a one armed hug, it meant a lot he cared so much for her. Sitting back and enjoying the moment with him, she looked at him. "So hows your job going? by the looks of the place your doing fine"
 
He nodded, "Work is going good but it doesn't leave me much time for anything else. I'm just glad we have today to hang out." Jared suddenly felt eager, and decided it was probably just the idea of getting this day started. He made a mental note to not drink as much caffeine in the mornings.
 
Bella nodded and began to eat "mmm you haven't lost your touch, its been ages since Ive had your French toast. Been way to long for my liking" She said so happily that she wasn't to sure what else to say, she was as eager as he was which was a wonderful thing.
 
"mmm you haven't lost your touch, its been ages since Ive had your French toast. Been way to long for my liking"

Jared was glad that he still had his touch, "I'm glad I can still please you with my culinary arts." He started eating, not knowing what else to say as he enjoyed the simple delight of watching Bella enjoy her meal. She seemed happy and he was glad to be he source of that happiness.

********************************

After breakfast it was time to do a little shopping, and Jared took Bella to a nice and upscale store where nothing was under a three figure price tag. "Now," Jared held the door and delivered his disclaimer, "I don't want you to worry about the price of anything in here okay? You only get one chance to make a first impression so we have to make the best impression we can." He smiled and watched her take in the high end store.
 
She looked at the clothing she was taken in by the clothing, the colors and she was one for colors. For the first time in her life, she ignored the price, picking out some clothing. There was one dress that was black, tiny strapped dress, it had some reds, blues, yellows. It fit her body perfectly, she respected the opinion of her step brother. Twirling around showing off her new figure that she worked hard to get.
 
Jared watched Bella change and show off her outfits, but what was starting as a shopping trip was quickly turning into a distraction. Having seen Bella over winter breaks until she moved to the city, didn't prepare him for the curve his step-sister had developed. When he finally realized he wasn't saying anything he smiled, "Uhm... wow! That one's great! You're... certainly going to be... unforgettable." He sighed and sat back looking at the woman in the dress and trying to remind himself this was the same girl who he grew up with - even if she didn't look like it anymore.
 
Back
Top