To Capture a Captain's Heart (closed)

"Oh, so you did it for yourself too." Kayla said with a grin, laughing as Christopher confessed that her family was just as important to him as the Monaghans were. "I'm happy that you are doing things for yourself. You'll grow bored only taking care of me."
 
"I tend to enjoy a lot of things that you do, so I haven't gotten bored yet," he assured her with a kiss before settling at the table with her. As usual, the kitchen staff had cooked as if they were feeding a couple of huge warriors rather than the lean Lord Protector and his petite Queen. But that only meant there would be leftovers for the night watch and anyone who needed a snack during the night.
 
"Well, I sincerely hope that you never do." Kayla said with a laugh as they started to eat their feast.

The kitchens there at the palace rivaled those in Inverness. Kayla was very happy with the way that the meal had turned out, a little taste of home for Christopher and something familiar for herself. It was a way to get past the stress of the day, something that both of them had a difficult time doing.
 
Once Christopher was finished, he took a bottle from a small crate that had been left by the table with several different drinks for their perusal. He recognized the bottle style and he grinned when he found it was exactly what he'd thought. Back in Monaghan, there was a little vintner's shop that made wine from wild strawberries and apples. And a shipment of Christopher's favorite wild strawberry wine had been sent over by Stephen at Kayla's request.

"And I thought you were spoiling me before," Christopher chuckled, looking from the bottle's simple label to Kayla.
 
"Chris, you gave up so much for me. Why wouldn't I take the chance to spoil you when I could?" Kayla asked as she finished up her dinner. "You didn't have to leave Monaghan. You could have demanded that we stay in Ireland on your farm, but you were willing to follow me and trusted that everything would turn out for the better."
 
"I gave up a job and a few friends, love. Nothing compared to what you left behind in Inverness. I was so willing to go because even though I'd miss Stephen and Jessie, I knew I'd be just fine with you." He poured a glass, then looked to her. "Care to partake with me? I'm not sure you've had this since before our last visit to Ireland."
 
"Are you trying to get me drunk, Chris?" Kayla asked as he offered to pour her a glass of wine if she liked. "I have an important meeting tomorrow morning, so not too much."
 
"I would never dare unless you asked," Christopher promised with a sly little grin. "Drink all you like, love. Or, not at all." He poured a second glass for her before settling back into his seat.
 
"You're a devil." Kayla answered dryly, taking the second glass and moving to sit next to him as she took a taste of the delicious wine. "Stephen has a lovely little vineyard if he is producing this. I should ask for more to keep this on hand for important occasions."
 
"Or to turn me into an alcoholic," Christopher chuckled, kissing her cheek before sipping from his own glass with a satisfied sigh.
 
"I like it when you've had a few drinks. You entertain me." Kayla said with a grin as he kissed her cheek and relaxed.
 
"That'll have to be a rare occasion, love. As your Lord Protector I'm afraid I need to keep a level head," he told her with a smile.
 
"You're far too serious these days, Chris." Kayla said, teasing her husband even more. "What happened to my light hearted captain?"
 
"He became a stick-in-the-mud Lord Protector just for you," Christopher teased back, leaning over to kiss her. "It's all your doing, love."
 
"He did that all on his own. I didn't ask anything from him." Kayla said as he tried to put the blame back on her. "You have always been a stick in the mud. This job simply gave you a reason to be a stick in the mud all the time."
 
"I thought you married me because I made your life more exciting," Christopher chuckled. "Don't tell me you just married me for my looks."
 
"I think it's the other way around. You married me for my looks." Kayla said with a grin, allowing Christopher to pull her from her seat and into his lap. "But I won't complain. I promise."
 
"You're absolutely gorgeous, that's very true," Christopher nodded. "But you're also too sweet to resist. And it turns out you're more adventurous than I'd first thought." He pressed a kiss to her cheek.
 
"I'm boring compared to my siblings." She said softly as Christopher kissed her cheek and told her that she was more adventurous than he originally thought. "I like quiet evenings at home with a book, my dogs, and my husband."
 
"You may not charge off across the world at a moment's notice as much as Durban does, but that doesn't make you boring, love," Christopher promised. "You manage to surprise everyone all the time when you prove more and more that you aren't just that quiet Invernessian princess we thought. You're powerful in your own right, and you can command a room even when you're the smallest and quietest one in it. That amazes me to no end."
 
"You're biased, Chris." Kayla murmured. "You are always looking at me. I would have you attention in a room full of people no matter what."
 
"Ask Ulfric and Kjotva if you don't believe me, or Monomakh if you need proof you're a force to be reckoned with," Chris kept insisting with a charming smile.
 
"I bet you didn't expect your wife to take Monomakh down." Kayla said, still proud of that particular accomplishment. "Probably quicker than you could have too."
 
"I'll be honest with you, Kay. I was sure you would lose until I saw you two trade blows. Then I had some hope, seeing you fend him off. But I wasn't sure who would win until the moment he asked for mercy." Christopher leaned in to kiss her. "And true to form, you gave him mercy.
 
"Everyone deserves mercy, Chris." Kayla said softly as he kissed her gently. "I wish someone had given my Da some mercy. So, now that I'm in a position to do such, if they are a good and decent person, I will do my best."
 
Back
Top