The Official Authors' Hangout April Fool's 2019 Contest Support Thread.

oggbashan

Dying Truth seeker
Joined
Jul 3, 2002
Posts
56,017
I am posting this thread because the contest starts in less than a month. Writers should be thinking about April Fool now to get a story submitted for the start.


April Fool's (April 01)
themes: Stories (humorous or otherwise) of surprise meetings, humor, tricks, trick endings, and other themes of deception, chance, and/or misunderstandings (happy or otherwise)
starts: March 01
closes: March 20
winners announced: March 27




This thread is to SUPPORT and ENCOURAGE authors to enter stories in the 2019 April Fool's Contest. Get your characters confused, fooled, tricked and sexy.

There is an advantage to entering stories in one of Literotica's themed contests, apart from the possibility of winning, and that is that your story gets far more exposure and attention than it would normally do.

Some of that attention might be unwelcome, some abusive, but some could be appreciative and helpful.
 
Unless lightening strikes count me out. Not my cuppa tea, so to speak. I liked the Earth Day contest.
 
Maybe I'll be immobilized and inspired enough to write some tricky/twisted stuff. What are some possible plotlets?

* They thought it was incest but it wasn't.
* They thought it wasn't incest but it was!
* Someone swapped-out her BCPs for placebos.
* Someone ran a needle through a pack of condoms.
* That hot chat partner turned out to be Mom/Dad.
* GPS is hacked to point travelers to brothels.
* Some Fool's trick is sweetly romantic.
* Identical twins confusions, sure.

Alas both Easter and the Spring Equinox are 21 March, a bit too early for April Fool's stuff -- unless someone plays calendar tricks.
 
I have the vaguest idea for where to take this one. We'll see if it goes anywhere.
I miss Earth Day too, although the last time I placed in a contest, it was this one (two years ago).
 
I might pass on this one too, I got reamed by my cultists for doing the V Day contest. Plus, where do you go with this?

-man fucks woman, then says “April fools! I didn’t use a condom!”
-she replies, “That’s okay, my sex change operation didn’t come with a working uterus.”
 
I might pass on this one too, I got reamed by my cultists for doing the V Day contest. Plus, where do you go with this?

-man fucks woman, then says “April fools! I didn’t use a condom!”
-she replies, “That’s okay, my sex change operation didn’t come with a working uterus.”

You shouldn’t let it discourage you, AD🌷Kant👠👠👠

Oh, and a lot of guys tried to get my ass pregnant, they never succeeded ... not when I was the one sucking seed😇
 
There's always that one random afternoon when my attitude toward the next contest shifts from "Oh my god, there's Ogg's post, is it already time to think about this one?!" to "Okay, I think it'll be fine. I'll get something together in time."
 
I'm in the missing Earth Day contest camp. I've never had the slightest bit of interest in this theme since it was introduced.

I really need to get "Queen of the Wood" finished and out this year...
 
Does anyone have any advice about the nature of the "Trick" aspect of this contest?

Specifically, do you think it has to be in your face or would subtle be ok?

I'm curious because I would like to avoid getting panned for subtlety bc everyone knew that it needed to be BIG.

Yes, I'm insecure why do you ask? :rolleyes:
 
Does anyone have any advice about the nature of the "Trick" aspect of this contest?

Specifically, do you think it has to be in your face or would subtle be ok?

I'm curious because I would like to avoid getting panned for subtlety bc everyone knew that it needed to be BIG.

Yes, I'm insecure why do you ask? :rolleyes:
Write subtlety, and some folk will get it, some folk won't even see. Write face-palm obvious, some folk will say, "I get it, gee, that's clever," others will say, "ffs, did you need to spell it out quite so much?"

No rules, no guidance, just write as subtle or as blatant as you want, there'll be readers for it. Some writers go for the four-by-two in your face, others the delicate twist in the very last sentence. Whatever you do will be just fine :).
 
Write subtlety, and some folk will get it, some folk won't even see. Write face-palm obvious, some folk will say, "I get it, gee, that's clever," others will say, "ffs, did you need to spell it out quite so much?"

No rules, no guidance, just write as subtle or as blatant as you want, there'll be readers for it. Some writers go for the four-by-two in your face, others the delicate twist in the very last sentence. Whatever you do will be just fine :).

I'm not grinning I've just got a cramp... ;)
 
Does anyone have any advice about the nature of the "Trick" aspect of this contest?

Specifically, do you think it has to be in your face or would subtle be ok?

I'm curious because I would like to avoid getting panned for subtlety bc everyone knew that it needed to be BIG.

Yes, I'm insecure why do you ask? :rolleyes:

It doesn't matter at all.

People will vote up or down on your story based upon whether it's a good story, not based on how well it fits with the contest criteria.

As long as your story fits within the scope of the contest criteria in some way or another, it's fine. Add a few touches to the story that make it clear it involves April's Fools Day. Once you've done that, all that matters is the quality of the story.
 
It doesn't matter at all.

People will vote up or down on your story based upon whether it's a good story, not based on how well it fits with the contest criteria.

As long as your story fits within the scope of the contest criteria in some way or another, it's fine. Add a few touches to the story that make it clear it involves April's Fools Day. Once you've done that, all that matters is the quality of the story.

Thank you Mr Doom! That’s exactly the kind of advice I was hoping for.
 
Last edited:
I find it tricky to try to fool the readers. Some are difficult to fool, others are difficult to make them understand they've been fooled. Not all readers take it well. And humor (humour?) is perceived differently in different areas around the world.

A story doesn't necessarily have to have a trick; last year I wrote a story on someone being set up, in a negative way. To all, both readers and characters, it was clear that it was a setup, except maybe for the main character who desperately wanted it to work out. April Fool's day was the theme in that story, an I didn't try to outsmart the readers.

Yes, that's what I'm talking about. I'm sure it's just me, but I find it boorish to write "Hey it's April Fools day. I think I'll go trick old man Jenkins into fucking a Fleshlight while I tape it and post it on the interweb. Yuck Yuck Yuck"

I like subtle and I like a twist even if it's just a whisper. In my story Date Night, there's a very subtle twist at the end that I quite like and probably should have held off on publishing it, until this contest. Oh well, I'm still trying to get oriented around here and I'll get savvier with time and the kind advice you all have been offering up.

It probably helps that my cultist count currently stands at zero. ;)
 
Don't make Simon sound scarier than he really is. Ask him to tell you about little penguins, one day ;).

Roger that Mr. Electric or is it, Mr. Blue?

Which either puts you in the hunt for a role in the next MCU movie or puts you in the running for a role in a Quentin Tarantino flick :D

Now about those penguins... :confused:
 
Now about those penguins... :confused:
If you look at Oggbashan's signature block, you will see that he quotes one of my posts about the singular and selective nature of his quirky material, with reference to a puffin on a rock.

It then came up in despatches that young Master Doom over there --------> was a shameless vote whore who wanted nothing more than high reader numbers, and resorted to Incest yarns to get them. To which I observed, "But mate, how do you stand out from all the other penguins on that endless plain?"

He sent me a photo of his sister** in explanation, so that was fair enough. At one stage we speculated that I knew his mom when she was younger, but for obvious reasons we both chose not to pursue that, as being far too disturbing.

** IRL, Simon says he doesn't have a sister, and the Polaroid has faded, so it might not be his mom...

EB, just EB.
 
Nothing yet. Maybe my brain needs more oxygen. Or nitrous oxide. Whatever.
 
How about a college CoEd spring break story where mommy and daddy think their precious is going to Miami with her friends but (April Fools) Samantha has other plans and hops a boat for (insert Island here) where she gets drunk and passed around by all the locals eventually becoming a sex toy for the local drug lord.

Twist ending she offs the drug lord and takes over but with a taste for fresh young college coeds that needs to be filled muahahaha!
 
I looked at the AF contest for a couple of weeks and had NADA.

Three days ago I sat down and got three ideas. Two already written. The third I think I'll post as a regular story.

I decided to try something new. Seeing as how I had the impression the 750 word thing was by invitation only, I never looked at it. Pranks by their nature tend to be a short description so I'm doing mine by practising the 750 word idea.

That takes the pressure off. ;)
 
I'm hoping that I can use this deadline to get my creative juices flowing again. I have a story idea from a few years ago - just a couple of sentences and a premise - that I could develop. Hmmm.
 
Back
Top