Strange Request

Handley_Page

Draco interdum Vincit
Help!
I need to put a 'divide' symbol in the text of a document.
I cannot find it in the "Insert /Symbol" options, nor does anything useful happen with Alt+0245

PC, XP sr3, Word 2003. Bookman Old Style main text.
Several fonts available.

Can anyone help please?
The 'net has been of little use, so far.

Thanks
HP

Is it not in the 'insert special characters' part? If you go to the 'Insert' element on the menus at the top bar, after the window pops up, there also should be another drop-down menu inside that that changes what types of special characters you are looking for and there should be one for maths symbols.

In Word, I found it under insert/symbols/more/mathematical operations.

Is it not in the 'insert special characters' part? If you go to the 'Insert' element on the menus at the top bar, after the window pops up, there also should be another drop-down menu inside that that changes what types of special characters you are looking for and there should be one for maths symbols.

You'd think so, wouldn't you?
'Fraid not the one I need.

In Word, I found it under insert/symbols/more/mathematical operations.

All I found was just about all Except the one I need.

I really must obtain a [free] maths font.
:)

I bet he is looking for the long division symbol we used in school instead of an equation symbol I gave. I found images but no font characters

This?

div.gif

Thanks for the help, folks. :)
The symbol I want is ÷
I cannot persuade my copy of Word to generate ALT246 with any success; I just get a blank space. :(

I've done a "copy & paste" job of putting the ÷ into my text and it has done it.
I'm now faced with a lot of effort putting the damned thing in - all over the document!

Is there such a thing as that curved 'x' which our instructors used to differentiate between the letter x and the symbol for multiply ?

Thanks for the help, folks. :)
The symbol I want is ÷
I cannot persuade my copy of Word to generate ALT246 with any success; I just get a blank space. :(

Is there such a thing as that curved 'x' which our instructors used to differentiate between the letter x and the symbol for multiply ?

Did you use the number pad, or the numbers at the top of the keyboard? Alt + sometimes only works with the number pad.

Alt 158 gives a different x = × (or you could use a different font to represent the x e.g. Impact

x

Alt 246 = ÷

This---^
There should also be a character map in Windows accessories(XP/Server 2k3) that will let you select the symbol and then cut and paste it.

How To Char Map XP
https://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/app_charmap.mspx

How to Char Map Win7
http://386solutions.com/character_map.htm

UK based free char map software.
http://www.babelstone.co.uk/Software/BabelMap.html

....................................... ___________
If you're looking for the ) then you have to make it yourself using the right ) and underscore or underline on the line above.

Did you use the number pad, or the numbers at the top of the keyboard? Alt + sometimes only works with the number pad.

Alt 158 gives a different x = × (or you could use a different font to represent the x e.g. Impact

x

5x5=25
5×5=25
5 . 5=25
5(5)=25
5*5=25
5·5=25

Thanks folks/
I was using the main keyboard numbers, not the keypad, which seems to be working for me.

And thanks for the character Map.

The Babelstone Map is something I'll have to study later on.

Back