The Official Author's Hangout 2014 Earth Day Contest Support Thread

I'd be willing to wager it's related to combatting the recent "see my pics" spammer.

Either it's part of the spammer's strategy ( trying to look innocent by having comments without the spam show up from the IP ) or it's an aggressive counter-measure causing "friendly fire".
 
I'd be willing to wager it's related to combatting the recent "see my pics" spammer.

Either it's part of the spammer's strategy ( trying to look innocent by having comments without the spam show up from the IP ) or it's an aggressive counter-measure causing "friendly fire".

'that' spammer. i had the same - unless it was one of the LW 'real-men' wanting to fight me. :D
 
[size=+2]ASSOCIATION of INDEPENDENT READERS (A.I.R.)[/size]

2014 Sexy April Contest

it looks like its time for the QUEEN to mothball the Earth Day Contest... A.I.R.'s April Contest is is kicking butt!

tumblr_n0zjo0lcHK1qdxglyo1_500.jpg


Official Entries:

A.I.R. SEXY APRIL - 1007 stories submitted and accepted

LITEROTICA EARTH DAY - 35 stories submitted by AHland insiders
 
Looks like a sweep is running. I lost about 60 votes since this morning. No change in score however, unless it happened in the last couple of hours and went back to where it was before.
 
Looks like a sweep is running. I lost about 60 votes since this morning. No change in score however, unless it happened in the last couple of hours and went back to where it was before.

Yep I agree, I've just lost 9 votes and the score climbed by 0.12. Guess that got rid of most of my 1 bombs and a couple of higher scores too.
 
My non-contest story is up noticeably with the loss of 2 votes. The contest story hasn't moved much. I think I lost 8ish votes on that one.
 
Yep I agree, I've just lost 9 votes and the score climbed by 0.12. Guess that got rid of most of my 1 bombs and a couple of higher scores too.

I didn't notice a change in votes (in fact it looks like the votes increased overnight), but the scores did go up--only on my contest stories that I can see, though, so this must have been a targeted sweep. (I don't know why they bother until the voting is closed--and I thought they'd moved in that direction.)
 
Damn...17 out of 55 votes swept and a rise of 1.06 in score on the essay. Might not be in competition for Oggs Last Place :)
 
Just now managed to fight off nausea and pain enough to get one submitted. Assuming it passes muster to post, probably too late to do very well. But, it will be interesting to see how "the message" is received.

On the other hand, since it's LW resulting in "a cuckoo", along with a protest style environmental message, I may be able to give Ogg some run for the low score. :D

Going to go pop some meds and lay down for a bit. Good luck to all the entrants. (Or is that "ent-treants", considering the druidic nature of the ones I've perused so far)
 
I'm slightly puzzled.

I had an anonymous comment on each of my second and third Earth Day stories but both have been deleted by admin.

They were adverse comments, but not offensively so by the standards of anonymous. They gave a reason for the disapproval and were reasonably worded.

Was it that the particular anonymous was posting spam elsewhere and everything they posted was deleted?

It's odd.

Anon returned to Escaping Cybele to comment that I had removed the comment - which I hadn't. Admin had.

Even odder. Most people never return once they have left a PC.
 
Trolls return often and love it when they see their remark removed. Makes them think they got to the author and they point it out. Leave it and they have nothing to say

I hope this has something to do with spam. It would suck if the site is going to start deciding what they want to remove.
 
This is more than a weekly sweep.

200 votes I lost. Gained one point thenlost it again.

Way too early for this. There is a week worth of voting left
 
Bloody hell, I just lost another 26 votes and the score jumped by 0.41 !!! What the fuck is going on ?
I wasn't too upset with 130 votes and 3.88 in score, and I'm not sure I prefer having only 95 votes even if the score is now 4.41. Like LC says, this is a major sweep. Why not wait until the end of the contest, after all it's only a couple of days away.
 
Back in the day, the sweeps started almost as soon as the contest. That's the origin of the "roller coaster ride" comments some of us make. Your score and vote total went up and down almost every day.

With the number of swept votes being reported, it almost has to be a contest sweep. Residuals shouldn't be anything like this, even if it was a sweep of a majorly fucked-with toplist or something.

Who knows. Maybe Laurel is going to be busy over the next week, or there's some scheduled maintenance on the server, or something.
 
It almost wouldn't surprise me if this was more of a reaction to the constant bitching about how much the scores change the moment before the end of the contest and by biting off a large chunk of invalid votes now she's hoping to cut down on that.
 
It almost wouldn't surprise me if this was more of a reaction to the constant bitching about how much the scores change the moment before the end of the contest and by biting off a large chunk of invalid votes now she's hoping to cut down on that.

Good point, I think you're right. And maybe it's also to even out the score board for the stories submitted early so that they aren't too different from the last batch of stories posting on Monday. Then the trolls will have to hit them all the same through the last stretch of the contest.
 
Damn...17 out of 55 votes swept and a rise of 1.06 in score on the essay. Might not be in competition for Oggs Last Place :)

aarrggh the sweeps got me, *clutches imaginary bullet wound and slinks off with a once again ineligible entry*

lol
 
Back
Top