New Poetry Recommendations

8/19/2008

There are eleven new poems. I liked the two posted by Wicked Eve, Crow Cab and Clingstone. Of the two, I liked Crow Cab best because, to me, it's the more developed of the pair. In fact, these two poems seem so close in theme, I think you could replace "snake" with "crow" in Clingstone and put the two together. Either way, both poems are good examples of Eve's pared-down, quirky way of writing. Eve is getting a good-sized group of poems on her submissions page here and she has a history of taking poems down, so read this talented poet now while the poems are available and oh so ripe for reading.

If you have new poems you'd like to recommend, this is the place to do so. And whether you recommend or not, please read and vote and comment where applicable.
 
Wednesday's Review

.
.


Here it is, another Wednesday in the Land That Summer Forgot — not a single 90°F day yet this season. Today there is a light selection of nine New Poems, of which two caught my eye.


Safe_Bet offers us a light, innocent, and airy poem in Hope. Go ahead — read this one and let the sunshine in.


On the other hand, if you want something a bit more cerebral, then Josephine_Guilbert has got one for you in For Ranse. This is quite a contrast from my first pick; give it a try as well, if only to savor the difference.


That's it for today. It's such a light listing, why not just go ahead and check out the others. Go ahead and read, vote, comment ~ it's the least you can do. Above all, comment ~ a fair exchange for the pleasure of reading free poetry.

Now I think I'll go enjoy the outdoors today. At least it's not raining.

.
.
 
Thursday

Good morning, lovely poets.

I have a new poem today and it's about underwear. That's all I'm saying.
Moving right along... (<--- ellipses for Ange)

There are four poems by ramonathompson and one is listed as illustrated but no image with it. Maybe it will be added later or it's in the wrong category.

Eargasm by sassynyc. I was hesitant to click on an erotic ear poem, but knowing sassy is such a dynamite poet, I ventured onward. Eargasm is a perfect example of how to write an excellent piece of erotica. It's smart and sassy, like the poet.

They wear me still, like fine perfume
and permeate your sensory gates.
I need neither lease, nor key.
Osmosis grants me your headspace.


----------------------------------------------------

Next is a poem by one of our new regulars by the name of Safe_Bet.
Surrender’s Victory
"I brutally rape your neck with butterfly kisses" is probably the most outstanding line of the poem. It's a nice enough piece of erotica. I believe this poet, with practice, will be writing better and better poetry.

------------------------------------------------------

38 Degrees Celsius by Chewtoi has one new poem today and only posted for the first time a couple of days ago. So go read and say hello.

That which holds me is not
The magazine elements of beauty
Or the way she flips her hair
But just how unknowing she is
Of her own sweet charms


-------------------------------------------------------

Another sassynyc poem: Mon Homme
I've read many poems where the poet attempts to describe someone as a poem, or they're simply using poetry terms to describe some scene or whatever. Most aren't written very well, but Sassy's poem is extremely good and you should give it a read.

Infuse my words, with your au jus
and weave you into verse
Enrapture you with rhythm, move
the body of my text


----------------------------------------------------------

I think I've mentioned all the new poems except for Remec's My Love.
Really lovely poem, Remec! But I have one question. Is this a particular form? It seems familiar but I'm not sure.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Edit: just realized I missed a new poem!
Wet Dreams
by Many Feathers
The first two lines are a good and interesting way to begin this poem.

-------------------------------------------------------------

And that's it for me until next Thursday. :rose:


~
 
Last edited:
Oh golly! Is it Friday? Sorry. I'll read and be back soon.
As you can see, I forgot it was my review day. How could that happen? I guess it's all subliminal. There's only 7 new poems posted today and Eve's given you a fine direction towards Tihmmnmm's offering. Go read, vote and comment if you feel so inclined. If you think there should be additions to the reviews, please participate in the effort and offer your own right here, on this thread.

Have a good weekend!

eta: Read Evie's pannie poem from yesterday. I like to think it was a community effort that pointed her to the rattling bones in the trunk or she could be discussing lingerie and shoes.
 
Last edited:
Saturday, 23 August

It is still early on this Saturday, but so far there are only six new poems which posted many hours ago. I must admit that none is particularly to my taste, but read them for yourself and perhaps you will find one to yours.


I shall have to check again later (probably this evening) to see if anything else posts today, and so I reserve the right to edit my post and update my review.
 
It is still early on this Saturday, but so far there are only six new poems which posted many hours ago. I must admit that none is particularly to my taste, but read them for yourself and perhaps you will find one to yours.


I shall have to check again later (probably this evening) to see if anything else posts today, and so I reserve the right to edit my post and update my review.
More could show up. :)

I kind of like this one:
Savor
by Josephine_Guilbert

Sure, I see some places I'd edit, but it's pretty interesting. The first stanza is quite good.
 
Three picks by me this Sunday.

Carletta, I was asleep by jayce1066. A decent poem until the last line, when it suddenly became exceptional. Read it and see if you agree.


exacto by hmmnmm. Semantic calligraphy. Very good.


Existence by Safe_Bet. Metaphoric calligraphy. Even better. First two lines are just wonderful.
 
Monday, August 25th

There are 11 new poems today.

We are privileged to have two new poems, Bare Gossip and Skinshed, by WickedEve. I thought Bare Gossip was an exceptionally fun read.

Though Black Hole Soul by seannelson was a little prosey, this insightful narrative is worth a mention. It made me think of the people in my past and how they have impacted my life and vice versa.

Robert12 gives us The... which is a melodious read. It's my favorite from today's new poems.

I'd love feedback on my terzanelle, Reluctant Love.

It was extremely difficult to select only a few poems to mention from today's new poems. They are all quality poems well worth the read. Please take a few minutes to read and comment on the new poems.
 
I was reading the new poems (after Tihmmnmm brought my own alt's posted offering to my attention) today and I want you to go and read the recent poem from this poet and then read everything else. AuthorityGriffith
 
I was reading the new poems (after Tihmmnmm brought my own alt's posted offering to my attention) today and I want you to go and read the recent poem from this poet and then read everything else. AuthorityGriffith
I'm just now reading Tuesday's poems, which must have been posted extremely late in the day. I'll definitely check out A.Griffith and yours. I hope everyone else will give the poems from the 26th a look and also make sure you read the new Tzara poem!
 
Wednesday's Review

.
.


Fifteen New Poems up today. Almost half are based on songs/lyrics, so if that genre appeals to you, they are easily found and you can check them out. A goodly number of today's postings had already happened by 3 this morning {what can I say — I sleep weird hours}, so I had my first pick choosen then.


Tzara leads off today's list with Monsalvat. Metaphorical and thought provoking. Give this one, easily my pick of the day, a read.


shy slave gives us a poignant poem in I look for You. Other comments have already noted the problem with breath/breathe. I'd also suggest a minor change in 2nd line, 2nd strophe. Change:
In the way my hands cannot.
to read:
In ways my hands cannot.
Go ahead and experience this poem's feelings.


Finally, amitrine has been on the Lit scene for half a dozen years and has started submitting again this year after an absence of a couple years. Wanton is a short, simple, uncomplicated read.


Well, that's it for this week. So, before I head off into the far reaches of the web, let me remind you again to read, vote, comment ~ it's the least you can do. Above all, comment ~ a fair exchange for the pleasure of reading free poetry.

.
.
 
oops!

Oh well. I missed the new poems yesterday. The last time I checked was around five in the afternoon and they still weren't up. And I'm all wrapped up in the Democratic National Convention, so I am glued to the tv at night this week. Sorry, poets. Champ's rec is good and there was one from her yesterday that I also liked. :eek:
 
Thursday: part 1

Over 30 new poems today. Oh, I remember back in the day when we'd have 700 new poems, and that was just in the morning. So 30 is nothing, people! Go read them all.

Why God Mooned Moses by DeniseNoe
Anyone who knows me has to know that I'm going to love a God-mooning poem. lol This one is so damn witty! A must read!

--------------------------------------------

Reversal by Netzach
I've never found overly emotional (out-of-control) erotic poetry that appealing. But this is a good piece that is certainly kept under control by the poet. Also, this is a first literotica poem by Netzach, so please leave her some feedback.

---------------------------------------------

bookstore by hmmnmm
wish I had a front porch
book store on a new
mexico side road

I wish I had one, too. Not only a wonderful read by a talented poet, I felt very happy reading this poem and wanted to be there, visiting the book store. Definitely give this one a read.

----------------------------------------------

I have to take care of some things and I'll be back soon with more poetry. :)
 
Thursday: part 2

A fresh and fabulous write by Victoria_Lucas
Slow Off the Train
Give me the straightaway
or give me a chai latte
non-fat, double shot, extra foam, extra hot,
thorny and well-heeled,


---------------------------------------------------

I believe Safe_Bet is getting into her poetry groove with Une Nuit Noire
A sonnet? At first I almost didn't notice the form.
Her arm coyly snakes,
fitting me into her spoon.
The feel of her body makes
me passionately swoon.


-------------------------------------------------

brief
by illusory_transitory
The first line didn't win me over but by the time I reached: "And I know you're never going to be as advertised on TV" I knew I liked the poem. I think you will too, so read and comment.

---------------------------------------------------

There are three more new poems by DeniseNoe, besides the one I mentioned earlier. And they are all good! Very good.

Swamp
Clouds of mulled red
Damp
Perhaps dangerous
Yet irresistable


Angelica
Angelica
brings the taste of
saucers
rich with
cinnamon


Pfc. E. P. G.
Elvis Presley Guitterez
Closed, a fistful.
Sack, scissors. Half-a-foot cloth
Folded twice,
Stapled.


-----------------------------------------------------------

A very interesting poem by darkitude called Octopusemonium
Let Octopusemonium happen, in the dark.
It will tire.
After all…
My tentacles are very strong!


-----------------------------------------------------------
 
Thursday: part 3

Faith by Tzara

Inside, the only blood she saw
colored the low sun.

A vast salt sea
swept
toward the distant edge


This is a poem to read more than once. Well written and complex. Again, Tzara offers us a magnificent piece.

----------------------------------------------

I'm getting a bit poetry weary this morning. :) But there is one more I want you to read. This poet has only shared two poems, so far. The newest is Love as Plain Geometry by JakobMariaMierscheid
It's good stuff. Read it. Comment.
 
Why God Mooned Moses by DeniseNoe
Anyone who knows me has to know that I'm going to love a God-mooning poem. lol This one is so damn witty! A must read!
This poem is well written, and its idea has potential. But it is a one trick pony. In the thread A poet's list "to do" you can find the following suggestion:

  • Jot down and collect isolated phrases that come to your mind. But wait for the time to be ripe. Don't force a poem around a single good phrase.
The poem in question is a perfect illustration. We have a good idea wasted by a shallow poem, while the idea's potential was boundless. It would take some additional ideas and a bit of work though to make it shine :))). Instead, we get easy fillers which destroy poetry, like the useless first two lines. That's what happens when you force a poem around a single phrase. You're trying to make it into a full length piece while there is not enough even for the shortest poem.
 
Last edited:
This poem is well written, and its idea has potential. But it is a one trick pony. In the thread A poet's list "to do" you can find the following suggestion:

  • Jot down and collect isolated phrases that come to your mind. But wait for the time to be ripe. Don't force a poem around a single good phrase.
The poem in question is a perfect illustration. We have a good idea wasted by a shallow poem, while the idea's potential was boundless. It would take some additional ideas and a bit of work though to make it shine :))). Instead, we get easy fillers which destroy poetry, like the useless first two lines. That's what happens when you force a poem around a single phrase. You're trying to make it into a full length piece while there is not enough even for the shortest poem.
I really appreciate your comment. You always leave me rethinking my own poetry.

I wish more poets would read and comment. I see hardly any comments on new poems. There were, at least, a half dozen or more good poems posted today.
Read, vote, comment, email, something. :rose:
 
Friday, August 29

Remec stands out as the only poet to complete the Same Title Challenge posed by me. His The Poet's Creed gives us a philosophy to live by in our art. His second poem posted today, Marking Time explores the tiredness of a long term relationship. It's not about hopelessness, more on dissatisfaction, I think. Read it and see.

The Awakening by Curiouswife illustrates a return to infatuation by someone who's been out of the game a while but is looking forward to its excitement.

WickedEve left me a little flat when I read the first poem of her's on the list today. I need you to read her offerings in chronological order of production and you'll see why ... Looking for God. It's a poem that is solid and shows us something safe almost as if the poet were afraid to blaspheme. It takes very little risk. Then read this one, Mere Meaning and get blown away by her simple statement of what she sees in him. It's a wonderful poem. I was so pleased I found these two poems on my review day. They give us such a good example of how a poet learns to be comfortable with their art. Thanks for letting me have a WickedEve adoration moment.

There are 14 new poems today, with offerings from some reliable poets and a few from a couple who are new to lit and new to me. Enjoy them all and if you find work on the new poems list that you feel deserves attention, please add your review.

Have a good labour day long weekend everybody.
 
Saturday 30 August

There are nine new poems today, including two poems by a brand new poet and one by a poet who has been here only a few days.

We have two new poems by WickedEve, Organ Stool and For The Old Woman—of them, I prefer the latter, and not merely because I am not always keen on erotic poetry: I find it compellingly bizarre and enjoyed many of its formal aspects, such as its use of parallel lines. Although I did laugh at the phrase "Allegro, you bastard" in the other (if that be not the desired intent of the phrase, I nevertheless make no apologies).

Safe_Bet has an entry in the Spiritual Same Title Challenge, Poet's Creed. It is a poem in praise of a religion of life and the moment and I think it is quite good. There are two things about it that I am not as thrilled with, one a formal issue and the other personal—I would prefer more consistency to the structure, I think, and it does invoke a pet peeve of mine in the reduction of all religions and usage of that word reminiscent of an 18th century meaning. Nevertheless, it is a lovely paean to the here-and-now.

There is a poem by Minervous (whom I understand on good authority to be the alter ego of a certain regular of this forum—and I also once in 2006 declared to have my favourite name on Lit, at least for that day), entitled Roseus. I think that it captures, in some way, the alternate perspective that I understand it is attempting to.

As always, read, read, read, and, if you so desire, comment, comment, comment. [This sentence brought to you by the International Comma Council.]
 
Belated Sunday reviews

Got hauled out on an unexpected pub round last night, and hauled off to an all too expected workday today, so here are, quite belated, yesterday's reviews:



The_Frank_Black (Really, THE Frank Black?) gives us Allure (of a hardened heart), an eloquently worded piece that already have garnered some nice coments. Add your own. A bit too flowery for me, but I can definitely see the appeal.


Safe_Bet writes a fuck poem the way it's supposed to be done. Tear Me Down shows that it CAN be explicit and downright porny, without being tacky.


Well, that's what I dug. Carry on. :)
 
Monday, September 1st

There are 9 new poems today.

Dreams of Payback written by Safe_Bet packs a powerful message in few words. Unfortunately, I can relate to the subject of rage derived from being victimized. Though the poem is not visual, she did an excellent job of sharing some of the feelings associated with such trauma.

Cate_Copshore gives us three erotic poems. Mouth of My River needs a little trimming and editing. You! shows promise, though I would rewrite it and omit the repeated "I can feel." Sowing Her Garden is my favorite from Cate_Copshore's offerings. The metaphor is well-expressed.

Pandora by Koba is my pick of the day for its vivid imagery and pure creativity. This is a must read!

Please take some time to read and comment on today's new poems.
 
Tuesday, September 2

There are five new poems posted today.

Our Yesterdays is a compact poem from Equinoxe that you must read. I believe "intertwine" is the key to this poem with (for me) an almost double helix suggestion of our past twisting us to our present and beyond. Always a treat to read how much meaning Equi evokes with so few well-chosen words.

And do not miss either of the two little treasures from Wicked Eve. Her tongue-in-cheek Tiny Epitaph is a not so tiny narrative that will make you giggle and perhaps stop to consider how our fleeting, perhaps thoughtless, human actions can rock another, smaller world. a poem, simply is simply masterful writing and damnit where's the E? This poem cries out for an E, but it didn't get one, so here's a big old A. Means about as much. :cool:

Read a poem, simply at least five times. I promise you you'll find something new to appreciate in it with each successive read. Who is the narrator? Who's writing the poem? Look at the way each strophe can stand on its own and how each end word can be interpreted various ways. Then think about the fact that--on the face of it--absolutely nothing remarkable is happening in this poem and yet every word makes magic. Damn you publishers! Publish this woman!

That is all. :eek:

Go forth and be poetic.

:rose:
 
Last edited:
Back
Top