A Bird and a Guardian (closed for Mayu)

Bevatoria

Trying
Joined
Mar 15, 2012
Posts
1,555
He thought he'd beaten the rap. Managed to get out of the life that had haunted him for several years. A necessity of the mistakes he'd made, but sitting in his living room, settling in with his beautiful wife, Nadine, to watch some television, Darcy Gerove finally thought he could relax. One last hurdle cleared, and now he could start to live freely again. The misdeeds he'd committed in his past would haunt him no more.

***************

Earlier that day....


"You've got a lot of nerve coming in here, Darcy. You might've paid us off, but we'll still call on you when we need you."

With the boss's goons flanking him, Darcy shook his head defiantly. "I did what you asked me to. I'm done doing favors." He spat at the floor. "Don't think I'm one of your call boys."

He nodded at his goons, but Darcy was faster, drawing his weapon and aiming it point blank at the boss. "Drop it or I drop him." He motioned to the guards. "Guns on the desk, boys." They obliged him as the boss tried to look at him impassively.

"You're not a killer, Darcy."

Something resembling a menacing stare lit his face. "To protect those I love?" He sidled past the desk, keeping his gun on him as the goons moved aside like children. "The cops would call me a hero, and you'd never be able to threaten me or my family ever again."

"You wouldn't make it out of here alive."

A smirk. "But my family would be protected. Look me in the eyes and tell me that's not the only thing on my mind right now." The boss looked at him, and placed his hands up.

"All right."

Darcy kept the gun aimed at him as he backed away, before holstering it. "I could've laid you out tonight. But I let you live." He stuffed it in his pants, glaring at the three men across from him. "We're done. I never expect to see you again." He turned and walked out the decrepit metal door.

With more truth then Darcy would ever know about, the boss nodded. "I don't plan on it."

*************

A quick ring of the doorbell interrupted his reverie, and as Nadine got up, Darcy held her down. "I'll get it." He knew he'd taken a chance earlier that night. If he saw someone from the gang, he'd call the police, as Nadine had never really known about the 'work' he'd done for them.

Luckily, it was just the pizza guy, and Darcy didn't reach for his gun which sat in a dresser nearby, and he opened the door. "Finally. Took you long enough, we're st-"

His statement was interrupted by the sound of a gunshot. Darcy had heard them before, and even close by. One aimed straight at his torso, however, was a foreign concept to him as he crumpled to the ground, his wife's scream following shortly afterwards. He tried to stand, but the shot had been point blank, and perfect; life and strength was draining from his body as the sound and presence of foosteps followed; it sounded like four or five guys who had rushed into the house.

Nadine's attempt for the phone was futile, and it was all Darcy could do to summon the strength to turn his head, to take in everyone who was involved in his coming death and whatever was about to befall his wife. He took in the faces of everyone, seeing only one familiar one to him; the guy who typically got him on his jobs. Lindsey Stone.

"Boss sends his regards." He kicked Darcy's abdomen unecessarily, and his vision started to fade, although his hearing was just fine with the sounds of tearing cloth and his wife's struggling as they positioned her over the table. No matter what he did, Darcy wanted to end it now, to wish whatever cruel fate he could on them from the afterlife, but death was not that kind. It let him stay alive, to hear them take out their frustrations on his wife, and her screams as they took her.

After they were done, he saw two guns: one pointed at her, the other at him to finish the job. He heard both of them shortly after Stone's final statement.

"We're after more then your family, Darcy. The boss wants to make an example of you..." Even as the shot fired, and Darcy's last parting thought was of his wife, a small part of his brain started to wonder who else they'd go after.

And he only came up with one name. The surprising thing to him wasn't that he thought of the person who'd been his best friend through thick and thin.

The surprise was that it didn't turn out to be his last thought, even as he faded into death...
 
Flashes of that night struck her like a knife to the heart, her father was the commissioner of the police department. The words that came out of his mouth fell dead on her ears, her whole world had been turned upside down in that moment. Sadness ripped her apart as she collapsed onto the ground. A thud echoed in the living room as she found it hard to breath. Darcy and Nadine were all that she had, and her father knew it.

Eden knew all of Darcy's secrets every thing he had done wrong, because he knew she could be trusted. Not even his wife knew much about him, her father never liked Darcy and knew his words would kill her. In that matter, in that moment a part of her died with them. She forced herself onto her feet and could not believe it, she ran out of her apartment very fast. Grabbing her purse and her keys on the way out, her heart beat was pounding.

Slamming her foot on the gas of her car, it wasn't a sports car but it was built to be as fast as one. She got it on her sixteenth birthday, as she made her way to Darcy's place. Flashes of the past came to her, every moment they had together. And now they were gone? She refused to believe it, no one could take away the two that meant everything to her. Pulling in she got out quickly not even bothering to lock up her car, leaving her keys in the ignition.

Running fast as the Doctor looked around, and when she got in there into their apartment. A flash of pain struck the air out of her lungs, she saw the blood all over as she collapsed beside Darcy. Shock and horror flooded her face, Eden had a gift no one but Darcy knew about. She could see things others could not see, her hand shaking as she placed it onto Darcy's face. Her heart broken as her secret love for Darcy was consuming her.

Echos of the night playing at this moment about what happened, her stormy eyes full of rage, her ears could hear what was said. Even the ghost images of Darcy and his wife, seeing what they did to her. It made her sick to her stomach, to know there were monsters out walking around. Masquerading as people, bumping into you on the streets perhaps accidentally or perhaps to mark you for death. And now Eden had no one, her life being easily destroyed.

Eden Wolf was the only one who seemed to care, the police were not really looking in on the killer because of who Darcy was. People suspected wrong during that he did, and no matter who talked to Eden. She protected her friend even in death, saying she knew nothing. And because of who her father was, they backed off of her. Eden was the only person at there funeral, she put forth the money of her own for them to be buried side by side.

The ceremony was beautiful and she knelt between their graves, placing each hand on there stones. No more cries could be cried because she had nothing left, her heart bitter as she tasted the bitterness of death. Her stormy eyes looking at her father, as anger could be easily seen and felt. In that moment her father was the enemy, and as she was down on the ground. She knew that she was alone in the bitter world, in the bitter city of Angels.

As she got up and slowly walked to her car, she heard the cawing of a bird. It was black, though she could not tell if it was a raven or a crow. Eden saw the beauty in everything that others would see as filthy, but as she looked at the black bird she looked down within herself. Not caring if anyone would see her or even hear what she was about to say. Her eyes switched from blue to gray, as her heart sank in every moment.

"I believe there is a place where the restless souls wander. Burdened by the weight of their own sadness. They wait for a chance to set the wrong things right. Only then can they be reunited with the ones they love. Sometimes a crow shows them the way. Because s ometinmes love is stronger then death." She said to herself, watching the bird fly off into the nothingness of the sky. But she sensed that something bad was about to happen.

After she came home, hanging up her coat and slipping out of her black heels. She wasn't hungry so she didn't eat, she wasn't thirsty so she did not drink. She was empty inside, and scared. She opened up her window, but she got flashes of a man coming to her in black. She got up and got into her desk, taking out a gun. She heard the cawing of a bird again. She wrapped her fingers around the pendent Darcy gave her on her eighteen birthday.

The only way for her to accept any information was if they knew what Darcy's nickname for her was. Darcy always called her Ed, and the pendent of a crow clutched in her hand. She heard heavy foot steps coming, Eden had been trained in how to fire a gun. Even knew karate and a black belt at that, she cocked the gun and her hand shaking. She had no idea what was going on, or if this was even a dream. But seeing that bird.

"Who's...there" She called trying to be strong.
 
Last edited:
He wasn't sure how he'd gotten here. One moment, he'd been shocked into death, with no choice but to let death take him as he fell into the afterlife. The next, he felt himself convulsing, in darkness, and he desperately clawed his way out, even as he felt that his strength wasn't all there. That part was a little foggy, but eventually he came to, leaning against a tree, a trail of blood leading back to a grave. A flash of lightning illuminated it, showing his name on it.

Another flash illuminated the one next to it. His wife. Darcy and Nadine Gerove. R.I.P. Taken from us too soon. Which was the confusing part. Darcy pushed his hand on his wound, trying to stem the bleeding that was clearly still there; wondering how exactly this was happening. Above him, a crow sat on a branch, which wasn't incredibly unusual, given the circumstances. What was weird was how it kept watching him, looking at him. As if it was here for him.

"Okay, birdy. What the hell you doing looking at a dead man?" If a bird's eyes could look at him quizzically, it seemed to. Darcy was irritated, confused, disoriented...and he leaned back against the tree. Suck in the afterlife, with nothing but an onlooking crow as a companion. Great.

It got worse, however, when the crow suddenly darted in on him, pecking his hand. "Gah!" snapped Darcy, trying to shoo the bird away, but the instant he hit him, he felt a jolt of pain go through him. "What the freakin-" He looked at his hand, at the gash the bird had left, and saw two strange things. First, that the blood that was coming out of it wasn't really red...it seemed to be much darker, almost black.

And second, that the cut was healing before his eyes. Stunned, he looked back at the crow, who was perched on the branch, gazing on him expectantly. Darcy stood up, feeling his strength returning, with no need to hold his hand on his gunshot wound.

The sight of the bird reminded him of the one person who might have an idea of what was happening to him. The only thing he had left in the world, if the boss hasn't taken it away from him yet. But her place was far from here, and he didn't have a means of transportation as he walked along the sidewalk or several minutes, the crow holding position unabated above him. As he saw it swoop in front of him, he looked back up. "I'm going to need to come up with a name for you." He smirked, and eventually, he came upon a bar, and an unattended motorcycle or two.

Not for long. He towards it, but stopped suddenly when he saw his reflection in the window. He looked alive enough; a little ragged and his clothes were torn, sure, but considering where he'd been, he was fine. His face, though-

Pale was one thing. But somehow it was completely white. And his eyelids seemed to be covered in black paint and eyeshadow, along with his black lips. He ran his tongue across it; tasting nothing, and he shook his head. "I hope Ed knows something." With practiced movements, he jacked the motorcycle, and any shouts of protest after him were quickly drowned out as he sped away.

Being a former criminal did turn out to be good for something.

*****

He had to get to her house. The gang wouldn't wait long to act on its threat if it was less then idle, and he pulled up some distance away. Just in case they came back for the motorcycle...he ran a head through his long, thinning brown - no, black now - hair, carefully stalking up to her house.

As if to announce his arrival, the crow flew in through an open upper window, cawing as it did. "Thanks, knucklehead." He muttered, walking in through her seemingly unlocked front door. He carefully strode in, not wanting to upset or alarm Ed; she was careful, but if he'd been taken out by them they could get to her as well. The house was dark, and only brief light from the sun and lightning let him see much at all.

"Who's...there"

A voice. He carefully turned towards it, letting the shadow hide his face until he was in a distance, keeping his hands up.

"Ed...it's me. Darcy." He looked down. "I don't know how, but..."

He didn't know who went forward first, only that soon they were locked in the fierce embrace of best friends. It was something that had never bothered Nadine, possibly because she didn't know as much about him as Eden did. If she had known the extent of their relationship, well....

"I don't know what the hell is happening to me." He whispered. "I'm supposed to be dead, but I seem to be healing, my face looks weird...." As if on cue, a noise came from the crow. "... I've got a pet crow, apparently." With fear in his eyes and his hands trembling as he showed them to her, his voice dropped further. "And you're in danger here."
 
Everything in her body was terrified she did not understand who or what was in front of her, but she kept her gun up at all times. Right now everything in her wanted to just shoot first ask questions later. But she was frozen partly from fear but partly because she sensed someone breathing down her neck. Looking into the darkness, but something inside her told her not to shoot at him. She narrowed her eyes trying to see the figure.

But then hearing the foot steps come closer, she saw his face but that nick name. Only Darcy knew of it, not even his wife knew. Her hand that had the gun in it began to tremble terribly. And closing her eyes as she talked, she heard his voice. By the time she looked at him his arms were around her hugging her, her body and mind came back to reality and wrapped her arms around him. Resting her head on his shoulder, feeling how cold he was.

When he pulled away and saw the crow, it was then she realized what was going on. The story only a handful in LA knew about it, and she was one of them. Her heart belonged to Darcy it always had. She smiled at the crow and knew his soul was in the crow, if the crow died he would die. A fate that was grime but that was the reality of it, hearing what he did she knew he had questions even before asking them. She sighed a little bit.

Knowing someone was coming for her she did not have much time, walking up to the bird and very slowly and carefully reached for the crow as the bird nuzzled his head into her hand. It was her way of confirming, stroking the chest of the bird she looked back at her friend. Reaching out and touching his shoulder she got a jolt from the last moments of life in the flesh. How much pain he suffered seeing all that he saw, she smiled.

"I believe there is a place where the restless souls wander. Burdened by the weight of their own sadness. They wait for a chance to set the wrong things right. Only then can they be reunited with the ones they love. Sometimes a crow shows them the way. Because s ometinmes love is stronger then death. This crow carries your soul Darcy, as long as the bird lives so will you. It is a story passed around a handful of people, only five people here know I was the first"

Looking down a little bit her hand holding onto the pendent he gave her a couple months ago. "When you and Nat died a part of me died right along with you, I wanted to die. Father enjoyed telling me what he did, I know that and could see how much he liked seeing me in pain. You help keep me on my feet, to stay strong and believe to do what is right. I can't lose you again, because of what little left inside me will die.
 
Darcy watched as Eden reached for the bird, who flew into her hand. "Sure, you get along with her." He grumbled as she stroked it, and saw her eyes widen slightly. It seemed she was getting some sort of impressions from it, and she smiled at him. A warm, welcoming smile, one she'd always had, and one of the things he liked about her.

"I believe there is a place where the restless souls wander. Burdened by the weight of their own sadness. They wait for a chance to set the wrong things right. Only then can they be reunited with the ones they love. Sometimes a crow shows them the way. Because sometimes love is stronger then death. This crow carries your soul Darcy, as long as the bird lives so will you. It is a story passed around a handful of people, only five people here know I was the first."

Darcy cocked his head in confusion. "Um...." A bunch more questions had to flow out from that, but then he remembered why he was here, and looked around hesitantly; the questions could wait. He watched as she kept talking, apparently having more to say, and his gaze fell to what had been his final gift to her. A pendant.

"When you and Nat died a part of me died right along with you, I wanted to die. Father enjoyed telling me what he did, I know that and could see how much he liked seeing me in pain. You help keep me on my feet, to stay strong and believe to do what is right. I can't lose you again, because of what little left inside me will die."

The words struck him, and he looked at her. "You know more about this then I do, Eden. I...hell, I was dead a short while ago. I don't know why exactly this crow has brought me back, but while I'm here, I promise I'll stick with you." He ran a white hand tenderly down her cheek; she almost looked angelic, her long back hair always kept attractively, as he placed a hand lovingly on her shoulder. "We're in this together now, Eden." He said this without knowing how she felt, or how she would take this; as far as he was concerned, she was the only friend he had left.

"You've got a car, right? Come on, let's..." He paused, hearing some noises from outside, ducking down involuntarily. "God, I hope that's not trouble..." He looked at her, and then back out at the window to see if any clarification was forthcoming.
 
Eden was still stunned he was alive and smiled when the crow seemed to hop onto her hand, but then she heard it what he did. She knew they had to get out of her, so she grabbed her wallet and keys. Hearing rustling outside she put her finger up to her mouth, she loaded her gun taking a few more clips and putting them in her pocket. Walking over to the door she placed her hand on it, a vision went across her.

And saw four big guys kicking down her door, she slowly backed away and while being quite. She put on her Stereo so the guys after her had something to go on. Running to the fire escape she motioned with her head to follow her as she opened up the window and looked down seeing her car down below. Thank god for simple parking she though, so she slid down the stairs using her hands to slid down the rail and silently sighed. Walking to her car she unlocked it and got inside, looking in her mirror.

She saw the goons and started her car, backing out quickly and took off quickly. She knew they would be followed so she had to do her best to get as far away as possible. "What did you do to this guy, you finally told your boss you had enough. I always saw your boss as a coward who would kill a blind man, something he should not be proud of. You need to put a bullet in his head, but unfortunately if the crow is with you and gets shot" She shook her head not wanting to believe it would happen to him.
 
The escape had been quick; Darcy had scraped his hand going down the fire ladder, but luckily Eden seemed to have a sixth sense as to where they were coming from, and she pulled away quickly in her vehicle. Even as he'd gotten married, Darcy had always preferred his bike.

"What did you do to this guy, you finally told your boss you had enough. I always saw your boss as a coward who would kill a blind man, something he should not be proud of. You need to put a bullet in his head, but unfortunately if the crow is with you and gets shot" Eden shook her head, and Darcy looked down.

"I told him to back the hell off." He squeezed his eyes shut. "To leave me alone. And then he and his...." A few tears fell out, and it didn't even faze him that they were leaving dark streaks down his still whitened face. "...they..." The memories flashed through his mind again; the pleasant evening, the gunshots, his wife's screams, Lindsey's taunt of him, and he clenched his hand into fists, trying to focus on the immediate future. His mourning would have to wait, right now, he was trying to keep his best friend from getting shot.

"...okay." He looked around. "I suppose we've got to find somewhere safe to stay, don't we. Any suggestions?" The crow cawed in the backseat, and he turned to it. "Not you, wiseguy."
 
Last edited:
Anyone had the sixth sense if they opened themselves more, she did not know what was going on. But she did not like this, she knew he did something to his boss. But then when he said what he did, seeing the sorrow in his eyes. She was driving but her right hand she placed her hand on his and squeezed it with a lot of love. Showing she was there for him, it was harder to kill her then most people she knew. She said nothing for the longest time, but then hearing the bird make a sound.

Something popped into her head "His cawing reminded me I have a house in the woods, its all private property. Dad doesn't know I have it either, all under the raider which is actually hard since my father is what he is. But I know no one for a fact knows where it is, I have some clothing and things there already. We can just stop to a store on the way to the cabin and I can buy some things" She said looking over at him quickly, smiling happily as she had her friend back with her.

But knew that so much pain was eating him up, It scared her to see him like this, like he was just ready to die and give up. Sighing sadly as she got flash backs, the same that he saw. Since she had contact with him, his heat beating but bitter and cold because of everything he had been through. But knew that once he took out who killed him and his wife, she knew that it was only a matter of time before he went back, but she had no idea just what was to happen. She did not know everything.
 
"His cawing reminded me I have a house in the woods, its all private property. Dad doesn't know I have it either, all under the raider which is actually hard since my father is what he is. But I know no one for a fact knows where it is, I have some clothing and things there already. We can just stop to a store on the way to the cabin and I can buy some things"

"Okay." He replied. "Sounds good." Darcy had felt her hand on his, and wanted to keep it there; her warmth felt good when he felt so cold, so uncaring, so dead...in more ways then one. Which is why he felt like he needed to take a moment to appreciate his friend. He looked at Eden as she drove, so focused and determined on the task in front of them, and he placed his hand over hers briefly on his. "Thank you." He said softly, before pulling his hands away to fold them together on his lap as his voice took a more serious tone.

"We can't hide there forever, though."
He frowned. "We definitely need to regroup and figure out what our next move is...but I'm done hiding from those bastards." His voice got darker as he spoke, and Darcy took a moment to compose himself before talking again. "I'd also like to know...anything and everything you do about whatever's happening to me." He caught another glimpse of himself in the mirror, and he still looked like some sort of gothic clown. "And why the hell I look like this."
 
Eden kept going and looking in the mirror making sure no one was following them, she replayed everything in her head over and over again. Frankly she was terrified about losing him again, thinking about the times they had him and his wife with her. She was like a surrogate mother, one she loved dearly. And she heard everything that she said, smiling when he placed his hand over her own. But when he pulled his hand away, she just grabbed on again. She had to keep touching him, to make sure she was not dreaming.

"You are not the first to be the crow, I have lived in L.A all my life. And my mother told me the history behind the myth. There was a man much like you, his name was Eric Draven he and his fiance were gunned down by a crime boss. Then it was Ashe Corven, his son heard something behind his fathers garage and saw another crime family kill an innocent person. And in doing so Ashe and his sun were tied up and tossed in the river." She said to him and was thinking of the other stories.

"Then Jimmy Cuervo he got out of prison for beating someone to death because a kid was trying to rape a girl he liked. He and his girlfriend were both killed, this man named Crash wanted to become the devil himself so they had to kill Jimmy's girlfriend, she was pure blooded Indian and they needed the eyes of a shaman to perform the spells. And the last crow Alex Corvis he was convicted of killing a woman he desperately loved but he was innocent. All these men ended up dying however.

Ashe lost a girl who had my ability, able to see things by touch, she knew of her own death but did not know it was her at the time. And once the crow does the job he came back to do, they all will die to be with there loved ones. And it will be the same with you, to avenge your wife. And I will have to watch you go all over again. Something I am not to sure I can bear to see, because I love you to much." She said pretty much admitting her love for him. She silently sighed and the make up.

"Every crow has the make up, but every marking is different on every crow. On your face is the mark of the guardian. A person who comes back because of someone they know are in danger, you can take it off. But you actually look good in it, I can easily get you make up. Kinda like a super hero just more grim" She pulled over to get some supplies which took her all of five minutes, and headed for her cabin. Looking over at him for a moment, then turned to her eyes in front.
 
It wasn't as if he couldn't hear what she was saying. The stories she told about the previous 'crows', and what had happened to them...it was starting to make sense. The 'what', anyways. Darcy had dabbled into this mystical, spiritual stuff before but the way Eden talked about it, the energy she showed...he'd always known she was deep into it, but listening to her now it was clear he had no idea how deep. But it was tuned out by the physical sensations he was feeling when she refused to let go of him. It was almost a little uncomfortable for him, her reluctance to break contact. Even if it made sense with her last statement.

"....because I love you to much."

He looked away. He loved her, too, but the way she said it, he knew that the love was different. He loved her like a sister, and she...she loved him for far more then that. She'd also loved Nadine, too, which was why she had never said anything. Darcy had known that. But, looking at her now, silently as she drove, he had to wonder one thing...what if she had said something? Would he have ever seen her as more then his best friend?

"Every crow has the make up, but every marking is different on every crow. On your face is the mark of the guardian. A person who comes back because of someone they know are in danger, you can take it off. But you actually look good in it, I can easily get you make up. Kinda like a super hero just more grim."

"A guardian, huh?" The first words he'd spoken in a while. "I don't know...I'd hate to over do it, but there's something to be said for a first impression." A Determined look passed his face. "The next time the boss and his goon see me, I want them to fear me."

A quick stop for supplies, the lingering silence on the drive before they pulled up to her cabin. Their base of operations for...well, at least the next night. The darkness echoed his soul, and Darcy slipped out. He hadn't been here, so he could only think of one thing to say. "Looks...cozy." He started to turn to her to say something, but the words couldn't come, so he turned back to the door. "Lead on."

The crow was already perched on the roof, and briefly his mind flashed with what the crow was seeing (him and Eden walking in), and he staggered with the image. "Whoa." He blinked, looking up. "I saw what he saw, for a minute..."
 
Eden sensed that he wasn't comfortable with her touching his hand, so she did not put her hand back on his. Sighing softly she pulled into her garage and the door shut behind them, getting out she heard what he said and nodded. But first she had to make sure no one had been here but her, taking a deep breath pressing her hand against the door. As a flash of the houses memories flooded her mind, closing her eyes sometimes this gift was more of a burden. But right now she was just glad she had it.

When she opened up her eyes, she looked at him and nodded. "I sensed you were uncomfortable with me touching you, I'm sorry about that Darcy. It's just that this feels like a dream, that if I look at you, then look at something and back at you that you will be gone. You and Nadine were all that I had. When my mother died I never thought I would ever smile again, you are family. My father is just a monster. And I am starting to think he is dirty, just by how he was telling me you and Nadine died.

I could not or would not believe it, but when I got the flash back myself. It took my breath alone, I felt your pain, sorrow and hate. Though I did not see who the goons were or what they said, but seeing what I did was enough. Dad doesn't know about my gift, I have it because I have the eyes of a shaman. My mother was Native American, so I can do and see things. My mother warned me to only tell my secret to the one I trust the most, and you I trust with my life. I paid for the funeral and I was the only one there.

Which made me feel even more alone, I do not condemn you for what had happened in the past. I could see the kindness and good man you really were, a man who made mistakes but regretted it. It however did surprise me when you told me about what you were doing, yet you never told Nadine. But I always found pride in knowing what I knew, knowing that I knew you very well. The only affection I ever got was from you two. A Part of me died with you Darcy, now I am afraid of losing my good friend."

Walking over to the fireplace and knelt down as she put some logs in the fire and tossed in a match. Looking into the fire she saw the glow and felt the warmth, she closed her eyes playing the death in her head. She sighed he had to know as she looked into the fire never looking away for a moment. "You were always with me, no matter what. You gave me so much, because you were...with. You were always with me, that's how I survived. When you die then I'll be gone forever, as long as you go on living. I will continue to live in, that's why I need you to live."
 
Darcy watched her as she spoke to him, telling him more about how she felt, about how they were the only friends she had. Part of him had wondered if Eden had isolated herself, but listening to her now, he could tell that she'd been cut off from the world. When he'd gotten married, even with as much as he and Nadine had accepted her, tried to love her, a part of him had felt that they'd sold her short. If he'd known how much she'd hurt, how much she'd loved both of them...he shook his head silently. She was a lovely woman, and Darcy hoped she hadn't saved herself in the hopes that one day he'd...down this path lay madness. He kept his eyes on her, he was sitting on the floor as she made her way towards the fireplace, putting logs in and a match. Darcy felt himself just letting her lead, as he was still struggling with the revelation of...well, being alive after being dead.

Eden shut her eyes for a moment before turning to him. "You were always with me, no matter what. You gave me so much, because you were...with. You were always with me, that's how I survived. When you die then I'll be gone forever, as long as you go on living. I will continue to live in, that's why I need you to live."

He sighed again. "Eden...." He patted a spot on the floor next to him, wanting her to be close like a friend, even as he feared giving the wrong impression. He didn't often use her full name, and he hoped that doing so would let her know that he wanted to be serious. "If what you're saying about this 'crow' thing is true..." A bitter smile came to his lips before disappearing as his dark eyes looked at her again. "...then it's clear I was brought back to deal with them." A hard look passed through him. "And not just the ones who got my wife. When I...when we're through with them, they can't be in a position to harm anyone, ever again."

As he thought things through, something between sadness and joy came to his eyes as he continued. "And then I get to be with my wife again." Gently, he took her hand in his; it was warm, much like the growing fire was, and he wanted to feel warm again. Even though he'd been dead for less then 24 hours, it felt like a lifetime ago that he'd ever had anything other then cold earth against his body. "How long, Eden?" He couldn't meet her eyes, seeing the conflicting emotions within them. "How long have you loved me for?" He only looked at her briefly, to make sure she knew he wasn't asking about Nadine, or about them as a couple. He had to know specifically about her feelings for him, which she'd made fairly clear so far.

But Darcy had to be sure.
 
Eden felt rather foolish about what she had said, part of her was just dying inside and knew he would leave her once his mission was over. And sighed a little bit, she just wanted to scream inside. And she shook her head a little bit, what was the point of him knowing all this. Perhaps in the long run she will die and finally know true peace, her father was a monster and knew he had to be stopped from someone, may god help her any way.

But then when he called her by her first full name, something he only did when he was serious. She walked by him and got on the floor sitting beside him, she did not know how to look at him. And thought perhaps it would be easier to just show him, since he had the ability he did he would be able to see everything. Sighing a little she looked around the room thinking about the times up here she had, just to get away from the damn control of the man she called father.

"What does it matter Darcy? Once you complete your mission you will be able to go back to your wife, know true peace. So there is no point, I am sorry I even said anything. But there is so much you don't know about me Darcy, I kept it hidden not because I don't trust you. You and Nadine were the only two that I could talk to, but with what I Know I was always afraid it would end up hurting you. Just with how my father was to me"

"And only way for you to understand is to see it" She placed her hand on his shoulder, and closed her eyes. Flashes of her childhood how her mother ended up dying, how Eden honestly tried to make friends but the only two that seemed to want to be her friend was Darcy and Nadine so she did try to get other friends, but she was rejected because of who her father was. Memories that would not flood him she made sure of that.

Then even the conversations her father had with a shady character, about him doing anything to continue to be at his post. Showing Darcy how she thought her father was actually very dirty. But finally the beatings that her father gave her, the welts on her back scars on her body that showed abuse but kept herself hidden. Why else would she continue to be covered all the time. Even in hot summer months, she never wore flesh revealing things.

Opening up her eyes she slowly stood up and sighed a little, she walked off a bit to the bag of groceries and stopped for a moment. "But if you insist on knowing, I have known you since I was thirteen years old. Watching you with Nadine and everything, I have been in love with you since I was sixteen years old and I am nineteen going on twenty now" She said simply and sighed sadly. And turned to look at him, feeling said but smiled.

"I will help you get the revenge for you and Nadine I promise, so you can know peace" Looking away her back to him as tears fell down her face as she hid her face from his view. So he could not see how much that was killing her. She would do as she promised but to see him go again. She shook her head and growled at herself, she was being stupid and perhaps even a bit selfish and right now things had to change she knew.
 
"What does it matter Darcy? Once you complete your mission you will be able to go back to your wife, know true peace. So there is no point, I am sorry I even said anything. But there is so much you don't know about me Darcy, I kept it hidden not because I don't trust you. You and Nadine were the only two that I could talk to, but with what I Know I was always afraid it would end up hurting you. Just with how my father was to me."

"And only way for you to understand is to see it"

Before he could react, he felt her hand on his shoulder, and many powerful, painful images went through his mind quickly. Eden's many attempts to make inroads into her community, being shunned at every turn, often because of her painful past; nobody wanted to comfort her. But more because of her father. Nadine's caring for her, and what it meant that she accepted him as well as Darcy had, and in some ways, better.

Her father, talking to men of disrepute (some of whom Darcy had...dealt with at points in his life). Continuing to be the chief of police despite several challengers. Better people, he knew. It put him off, but it didn't really make him angry. The world was unfair.

But then he saw something that did make him angry. He saw him beating her, taking out some unseen frustration on his own daughter. In a way, Darcy felt her pain, and he cringed. He saw too much of it, and not enough, and a pulse of rage passed through him even as the connection finished between them. She sighed, getting up as he struggled to process everything he'd just seen, but she acted as if it was nothing special, going through the groceries she'd gotten.

"But if you insist on knowing, I have known you since I was thirteen years old. Watching you with Nadine and everything, I have been in love with you since I was sixteen years old and I am nineteen going on twenty now" A said sigh escaped her as she continued. "I will help you get the revenge for you and Nadine I promise, so you can know peace" She turned away from him, and Darcy slowly rose from his place. She was his friend, had been for seven years, and to know she'd loved him for four years...even after he'd gotten married...he went over to her.

"Ed." He placed a hand on her shoulder, then trying to clasp her hand as she worked through their supplies. "I don't know what's happening to me...but I promise I'll do whatever I can for you." He squeezed her hand softly. "It's what Nadine would have wanted." And it's what I want.

Breaking their contact, he desperately wanted to move on to something a little less serious. "So, um, I don't know what you got, but I'm feeling like some food...I'd be happy to make something for you. Um, us." He smiled a little sheepishly, even as the crow took that moment to caw out.

"Oh, shut it, you." He started to move into the kitchen to find whatever utensils and tools Eden had in her small little hideaway.
 
She knew that Darcy needed to see what she was able to show him, to show him she truly did try to make friends but no one wanted it. She felt alone and blind in a way, kinda like having the fear of a child being in a room that is only darkness. Trying to find your way out of the room, but Darcy and Nadine were her light. They made the dark room she had been in for years, and turned the light on. That was why she cared so much what happened.

It felt like nothing mattered and right now it was something she was use to, thinking about her father made her beyond angry. She knew it was a sin to take someones life, she knew about Darcy's life the crimes he did though never got caught. She sighed a little bit, she knew something she was able to keep away from Darcy and Nadine. Nadine did not know all sides of Darcy like she knew it. She was trusted with the information.

"My father started to hit me when he wanted to find evidence to put you away in prison and for a life sentence. He knew I knew things about you, I never told him I knew much about you. But he found out some how, the beatings got more cruel at first he hated to hit me. But then I could tell after a while he grew to enjoy it, since no one could stop him. And again when you died he asked me what you got yourself into.

I told him I would never betray the dead and would never betray those I love. I never understood why you told me everything but Nadine nothing about what you had done. But I honored your trust in me, and maybe I would tell my father. But it would be with his dying breath that I would tell him anything, so he could not destroy the memories I have." Then she felt him taking her hand and she looked into his eyes, she smiled a little.

Hearing what he said she smiled and nodded she took a deep breath and sighed softly, thinking about everything that she had seen lately. And hearing the cawing of the crow she smiled a little, she took some meat and did not know if the crow would react. But she held it flat on her hand offering it up to the black bird, she smiled a little bit. And she thought of something, though it just came out she just meant to think it not speak for all to hear.

"Just over the horizon
Lives the master of the skies
And with the darkness
You'll remember all of the true lies
Inside the clouds of December
You'll find why the baby cries
With the tenderness of the mother
Will be the medicine to recover. "
 
Darcy thought he'd been shocked enough this evening, but hearing of what Eden had endured for him...to protect his secrets, to protect him...at the hands of her uncaring father....it enraged him, and crushed him that she had been forced to endure so much. The bond of their friendship was much deeper then he had figured, and he was seeing her in a new way now, his gaze idly falling to the fire as she held out some food for the crow, talking as he did.

"Just over the horizon
Lives the master of the skies
And with the darkness
You'll remember all of the true lies
Inside the clouds of December
You'll find why the baby cries
With the tenderness of the mother
Will be the medicine to recover. "

He fell silent. Darcy really had no idea what to do in order to heal Eden. To help her now, to avenge her - and Nadine - his thoughts were fairly clear cut in that area. But as he looked at her now, as they prepared their meal together in silence, he had a decision to make as to how he would help her now. Not tomorrow, and not if they were found here. But now. In this moment. To try to repair the damage that had been done to her, to free her from the weight of the abuse and the darkness that tainted her soul. Her beauty was more then just skin deep, even if now for the first time he was finally seeing her as more then just a friend.

It had been only a few hours, but it was almost as if several years had passed since he had last seen her. They ate, with only occasional breaks for when he grabbed a drink for them, or if she added a log to the fire. But eventually, they finished, and Darcy rose up, quickly cleaning up before settling in front of the fireplace, simply staring at it for a bit before turning to her.

"Would you sit with me, Eden? In front of the fire, for a while?"
 
Eden smiled as the crow took the meat and ate it, and dinner for them it was filling but simple. Something Nadine taught her, she was silent through everything unsure what stupid shit would come out of her mouth this time. She so felt out of place in the moment, but she was with her friend who was nothing but a ghost to those who knew about him. She feared the men would come here that's why she figured they would have to leave tomorrow. Always one step ahead and if she got a vision she would be a miles away.

When she saw him get up she moved to him, to do her dishes and feeling the warmth of the fire in the fireplace. She heard what he said and looked over her shoulder and smiled to him, brushing a strand of her hair out of her eyes. As she walked over to the fireplace and sat down on the floor beside him, grabbing the throw to put it around the two of them. Something they use to do, three of them would just snuggle up and relax. But now Nadine was gone and she just looked at the fire unsure what to say.

She sensed something had changed in Darcy but she did not know what it was that changed, she just smiled a bit. Feeling how everything was coming together, her hands on her knees and she knew she did the right thing, not telling anyone about Darcy's business. "I am the one that paid for your burial and Nadine's, the head stones. I paid for it all, was the final way I knew how to show my love, what you two meant for me" She did not look at him, but a tear fell down her cheeks, a tear down the cheek he was faced to.
 
This did bring up memories for him. Painful ones, if the truth were to be told. Not of Eden's presence, but of Nadine's, and how Eden would simply cuddle with them, like family. It was intimate, but comfortable, sharing each other's warmth and space as if it were nothing. But he could see the pain in her eyes, and he sidled closer to her a she continued.

"I am the one that paid for your burial and Nadine's, the head stones. I paid for it all, was the final way I knew how to show my love, what you two meant for me." He wasn't sure what broke the final straw of resistance in him, but it was likely the solitary tear he saw down her cheek. Even as she had shielded him, comforted him, there was still a part of him that was hurting her. The part of him that didn't' feel for her like she did for him; his love for her as a sister, his for him more then that of a brother.

He moved behind her now; a posture he had assumed before with her. Darcy met her gaze as his body brushed against hers, as innocent as before, yet with something different in it as he pulled her close to him. A way he'd usually held Nadine, her substituted for her only for convenience, to keep warm in a cold place. He ran his hands up and down her arms; her body was soft against his, even with as little of it as he'd seen due to her bruises and scars. He couldn't physically heal her, but as Darcy's touch lingered near her neck, breathing into her hair behind her, he hoped that he could at least start to heal her spirit.

Wordlessly, without prompting, his hands started to massage her shoulders, working the muscles and skin gently. "Let me know if I'm hurting you." He whispered as the crackling of the fire was the only sounds aside from their breathing.
 
In the silence the only thing she could hear was the crackling of the fire, all to well she had wished so many things. She wished she could have done something more, so they did not have to die the way that they did. To be hurt like that, the vision she got from their place. It made her very scared that one day her father would beat her to death. The more he drank the more of a monster he became, all in all she wanted her father gone. Perhaps not dead but some place where he would leave people alone.

She watched at the corner of her eye that he was moving, she had no idea what he was doing. But before she knew it she could feel his warm breath, it felt really nice. Closing her eyes so she could feel the closeness and also feel his warm breath, feeling his hands on her and began to massage her. She smiled "Mm feels nice" She said softly, with all the tense crap going on and everything else. She felt like she was on the edge and did not know if she would walk away or even jump.

The warmth of his hands on her made her wish they had been together, sure it was rather selfish and would never tell him. Due to the fact he was married to her, her blue eyes looking forward into the fire. As he touched her memories of the past came to her, though none of the memories were bad. It freed her to see such things, helping her remember what she still had. Though it was not much. "I think the only way that anyone can be free from my father, he needs to be gone. And I don't mean dead really, just off the force"
 
"Mm feels nice." The moment lingered as Darcy kept on her, slowly rubbing her shoulders and neck, careful to watch her to make sure he wasn't hurting her. With as many marks as she had, he knew he'd have to be gentle, but so far she'd shown no signs of resistance. She did, however, want to continue. "I think the only way that anyone can be free from my father, he needs to be gone. And I don't mean dead really, just off the force."

Darcy said nothing, letting his hands travel off of her shoulders and down her arms, the thought occurring to him now of how little he'd seen of her body. She often wore arm gloves, and her shirts never showed any of her collarbone. Still, he tried to ease the pain, encircling her arms and rubbing them slowly. "What if that isn't enough, Eden?" He was whispering but he kept something of a distance; if she'd been Nadine.... "What if he still hurts you?" The memories of what he'd done to her lingered and he couldn't stand the thought of her suffering more. Not for him, and not for anyone. "I'm not sure we can take that chance."

I'm not sure I can take that chance.

"We'll deal with it when the time comes, though." Right now, with the first...only?...moment of peace and quiet he'd had in a while, he wanted to enjoy it, the feel of the fire against his body...okay, the feel of her as he snuggled in just a bit closer; she was taking most of the fire. Darcy was unsure as to what to say, and asked the first thing that came to mind.

Which wasn't the greatest of questions. "So...Eden...how come you've never found anyone?" Right after he said it, he wished he hadn't, even as his hands kept working down her arms, now at her elbows as she answered him.
 
Eden enjoyed the way he touched her, made her feel much better about herself. Thinking she was good enough for someone else, but all in due time things would happen. She was not afraid what but something had to happen. Sighing sadly as she looked down, closing her eyes and heard what he said. Her blue grey eyes just looking into the fire. Wondering if perhaps he would kill him, though she did not tell so he had a choice in it. She did not know if she could ever ask him to do that, take her father out. She did know something had to be done, or she would not see another birthday.

But then the question came, about how she never found anything. Looking down she closed her eyes and just wanted to scream sometimes. "Some because of my father, dad loves to torture me emotionally. Scaring away the people that met my father, dad would threaten them and probably even kill them. And dad thought if I was with a guy I would lose my virginity, he was one for tradition. No sex before marriage, though I never saw the point in it. I would give myself to someone who deserved it.

And also a bigger part is because when people find out my, gift, my curse. It scares people away, yet you told me to embrace my abilities. And I did starting to not care about other people, and frankly I just gave up trying. I figured I would live alone and I would die alone, where no one would find me. If dad loves me he has a funny way of showing it, but I found my guy he just happened to be married" She chuckled a little talking about him, and just breathed in the smell of burning wood, enjoying it.
 
"Some because of my father, dad loves to torture me emotionally. Scaring away the people that met my father, dad would threaten them and probably even kill them. And dad thought if I was with a guy I would lose my virginity, he was one for tradition. No sex before marriage, though I never saw the point in it. I would give myself to someone who deserved it. And also a bigger part is because when people find out my, gift, my curse. It scares people away, yet you told me to embrace my abilities. And I did starting to not care about other people, and frankly I just gave up trying. I figured I would live alone and I would die alone, where no one would find me. If dad loves me he has a funny way of showing it, but I found my guy he just happened to be married."

Darcy struggled with her words, and how to process them. He was fighting the dual instincts of wanting to preserve his love for Nadine and how to deal with the increasing amount of emotion he was feeling for Eden, for the other woman who had loved him. The knowledge that he would, at some point, be returning to the afterlife dulled it just a little, but even as he tried to ponder that, another point t came to him. Nadine is my wife, and I love her....if I want to love Eden, is that wrong? How can I do it knowing that, no matter how much I show it, that she'll always be...second to Nadine?

And a voice came to him then. She will not be second to me. Just...different. Whether it was his own mind saying it, or the ghost of Nadine. And still, he hesitated, his hands now lingering over her hands, intertwining them with hers as they sat in front of the fire. "Eden...could you accept the love of someone when their heart belongs to someone else?" Even as he didn't specifically refer to himself, it was abundantly clear who he was talking to.

But her answer would change things.
 
Eden heard again the sound of the crackling of the fire and silently sighed. But looking down at her hands, seeing his fingers intertwined with her own. It grew silent for a moment and everything seemed to stop for her. But right now she heard the question, could she accept love from someone who's heart belonged to someone else. It was a question that struck her, and it was a rather good question. In that moment everything went silent, and her heart beating was what she heard. Sighing silently. As she spoke.

"One may have your heart, but the other has your spirit.
Through good times and bad you have been what I needed.
Hearing your voice, enchanting and true.
We are two sided and mysterious, its true.
Things are here now and always
For one may have your heart but the other has your spirit.
For We are A Bird And a Guardian"

Poem she just made up on the spot may have sounded rather stupid, if she had a day she could probably come up with something better. Smiling a little hoping he found the answer in it, it was her way of saying yes to his question. Though she did not exactly come out and say it, sighing a little as she leaned against him. She had no idea what was going to happen, she felt like she was betraying Nadine if something was to happen between them. But love could master two people, in time.
 
"One may have your heart, but the other has your spirit.
Through good times and bad you have been what I needed.
Hearing your voice, enchanting and true.
We are two sided and mysterious, its true.
Things are here now and always
For one may have your heart but the other has your spirit.
For We are A Bird And a Guardian"

He knew the roles. Darcy was the bird, the one brought back from the dead by this mysterious crow. And she was the guardian, both of his spirit, and possibly the bird who had taken a liking to her. Although it kept mysteriously silent now, choosing a good time to give them some peace and quiet. As much as the crow had seemed to be pushing his buttons, Darcy was getting a pretty good idea of how sentient it really was.

The rational part of him knew it was probably too soon. It wasn't every day that someone got raised from the dead by a bird, rescue their best friend, and then hide out with them in an isolated cabin. Darcy didn't know if he'd follow the rational advice yet. The fireplace was so relaxing...and Eden was so warm against him. She was melting into his touch, what little of it he'd given so far, as he ran his hands up her covered arms again. "Close your eyes, Eden." He leaned into her ear, brushing her hair aside so she could hear him. "Make a wish in your head."

It seemed like his hands weren't his own, as he saw her close her eyes. And as they moved of their own volition, his fingers undoing the top button on her blouse. Whatever happened tonight, Darcy wanted to see her scars, to see how much she'd suffered for him, hoping that he could heal them spiritually, if not physically.
 
Back
Top