Western Trails (closed)

"We will have to see if they follow us up here. If they do, Seth really must want you back. I will have to kill the tracker then to make sure they can't follow us any further."

He spoke casually about death, to him it was as natural as the clouds in the sky, he swung from the saddle and ventured to a cluster of rocks. There was a small pool of water, he tested it, it was cool and fresh, strange for water like this to be so high up. First he filled all the canteens, then allowed the horses to drink.

"I think this will be a good spot for tonight."
 
“Seth doesn’t take kindly to someone that takes his property.” She said as he swung from his saddle and ventured towards a cluster of rocks.

She slid off her saddle and started to un-harness the horses as he filled the canteens and then led both of the horses towards the water hole to drink. She looked around the area and sighed softly, her hands planted on her hips as she tipped the dusty hat back off her face.

“I think I would kill for a bath.” She mentioned, looking towards John as he came towards her with a canteen extended.
 
He chuckled,

"There is a pool over there, but the water is cool. If you do want to use the cold bath as we have no warm bath, I suggest you hurry. Once the sun set it will become really uncomfortable to be wet up here with all the draughts."

After handing her the canteen he took his rifle,

"I saw a trail a little way back, I will go get us that food you asked for."
 
Laughing softly, she pressed a kiss to his cheek as he said he was going to find food. “Don’t get lost.” She teased as she turned her own sights towards the cool water that was calling her name.

Walking to the edge of the water, she carefully pulled off her boots and then pulled off her dress, carefully folding it on a nearby rock. Once her undergarments were gone, she stepped into the cool water and gasped at the temperature. It was refreshing and she was going to be clean. That was all that really mattered.
 
He seemed to be in luck, he found tracks not too far from their camping site, it seems like the deer had been feeding when they came up the trail and took off at a little jog. He followed the tracks, finding where they had started to graze again, finally he came across them where they were busy getting their last bit of eating in. The light was failing, but he could make them out clearly. He laid down, aiming for one of the rams, caressing the trigger, there was a loud roar in the silence and as the small herd fled, they left a corpse behind. John went down the slope and quickly slit the animals's throat, softly saying the prayer of thanks that the Indians had taught him. He then gutted the deer, luckily it was a young one or he would have had to waste meat. Picking up the deer, he started on his way back.
 
Penny floated in the cool water with a happy sigh. She could feel the dust and grim from the journey washing off her skin. It made her feel much better. Dipping beneath the surface of the water, she let her hair wash clean. Parting the surface, she let out a yell of joy as her skin broke out in gooseflesh.

The cracking of something behind her had her turning and she blushed to see John coming back into the campsite with a young deer on his back. She quickly crossed her arms over her naked chest, looking at him with wide eyes.
 
As he came into the campsite he noticed that Penelope was still in the water, he smiled at her exuberance and found her suddenly turning to him, covering herself. He nodded at her,

"Seem to enjoy yourself."

He moved passed her to the other side of the camp, cutting stakes and modified hooks, he started to butcher the deer. His back turned to Penelope the whole time as he worked. He cut venison for her to use in a stew, cut up some of the meat to fry in the pan and the others he cured with a bit of salt and hung them out. It will take some time, but hopefully the meat will last long enough for them to use, he wasn't big on wasting.

Gathering what was left of the carcass and intestines in the skin, he moved away and threw it so that it landed down wind and also lower than their camp site. He returned to the camp to wash his hands and knife if Penelope was done by then, which he believed she was.
 
Penny blushed deeply at John’s comment as he nodded at her and passed to the other side of the camp to start butchering the young animal. Once he was far enough away, she dashed towards her cloths, pulling them on in a hurry. The moment she was decent, she turned back towards the camp and got to her duties.

A small fire was soon going, the canteens refilled, and the pallets placed neatly side by side on the ground. She also took the time to unsaddle Sudden and her steed, brushing them both down until they nickered in joy. She smiled as Sudden looked at her, his big eyes appraising her for a long moment before deciding that she wasn’t a threat.

“I’m glad you approve.” She teased the horse, giving him a shove back towards the watering hole.
 
He met the two horses at the water as he cleaned his hands and knife, when he got to his feet he surveyed the area in the quickly fading light. It was quite a view from his vantage point and he smiled, he took a seat on a rock and soon the darkness came over the country as he watched. He got up and went over to the camp fire, placing the coffee water on he went over to where he had placed the meat and brought it over to Penelope,

"Well you wanted something better than ham, hope this suffices."
 
Penny glanced down at the meat that he was offering and she gave him a sly smile. “Well, I suppose it will have to do.” She quipped, laughing softly as she took the meat from his hands.

“Thank you, John.” She said as she moved to grab a skillet from the pack and placed it over the coals. “Venison and some cornbread sound alright? I’ll have both ready in a jiffy.”
 
"Sounds great to me."

He finished the makings for the coffee and sat down, close to the fire so that when the coffee was ready he could pour some. He watched Penelope as she moved around, it was quite nice to watch her as she worked, the way her light hair caught the firelight, the way her hands moved as she prepared the makings for their meal. He smiled to himself.
 
Penny worked methodically and with precise motions. She didn’t believe in wasting time doing anything and something as familiar as working on a meal was the same way. She glanced from time to time at John as he sat watching her and she didn’t miss the smile on his face.

She blushed. She actually blushed just from the man smiling! A smile of her own crossed her lips as she turned the meat and poked at the cornbread to test its doneness.

“So, tell me something, John. You know, hypothetically speaking…what kind of girl do you see yourself settling down with one day?” She threw the question out there, hoping that the answer was to her liking.
 
At her question he ran his fingers over his chin as he thought about it,

"Probably one who is good at making food and can accept who and what I am? I really never have thought about that."

He looked at her,

"Well most probably a woman like you."
 
Penny paused in her cooking and turned to look at him in the low light of the fire. She gave him a smile as he answered her question and she felt her heart thudding loudly in her chest.

“A woman like me?” She asked softly, her hopes rising by the moment. “Instead of a woman like me…why not me?”
 
He smiled grimly at her,

"You have yet to see the worst side of me. If you survive that and does feel that you can last with me, then I am sure that woman like you can be you."
 
“John, you make yourself sound like a monster.” She said as she dished up the meal and handed him his plate. Settling alongside of him, she thanked him as she was handed a cup of coffee.

“You forget that I lived with the devil himself. I honestly doubt that anything you do could scare me away.” She reached out and placed her hand on his knee, squeezing it gently before she went back to her food. “Besides, I refuse to let you scare me away.”
 
He smiled briefly,

"I am not named Muerto because I am a lamb. I did things that made hardened men pale, I do not intend to frighten anybody away, I do not say I'm a demon. I just say that I can do much more to a man than just shoot him."
 
She looked at John as he spoke of his nickname. Reaching out, she took his hand in hers and brought it to her lips, kissing the back of it as he tried to warn her away from him.

“You try to hard to push me away. I thought you did not like your nickname. I understand that sometimes a man must protect himself, but from what I see in you, I know that you are a good and honest man.” Penny said softly, looking him in the eye. “I’m begging you to not push me away. Let me in, John.”
 
He smiled at her, reached out with his other hand and gently stroked over her cheek,

"I am not pushing you away, I am merely warning you. I am who you see in me, but you have not seen the entire me. I do not wish to hurt you in any way and I feel that shocking your faith in me, is the worst I can do to you. Not every man I had killed was in self defense."

He took hold of her own hand and smiled again,

"And you are in, you are closer than any person had ever been."
 
Penny smiled as he reached out and touched her cheek so gently. This is what her life should have been and not the hell that it had become. She needed to be with a good man that treated her well and the more she thought about John, the more she thought that he could be that man.

“You’ll never shock me, John.” She said softly, turning her face into his hand and placing a gently kiss into the center of his palm. “Trust me on that.”

Looking back into his eyes, she saw that he was smiling and she returned that smile, leaning forward to kiss him once more. She sighed softly as their lips met and she reached a hand behind his neck to pull him closer.
 
The kiss was soft and gentle, he ran his fingers over her cheek, resting his plate next to him as she pulled him closer and he willingly followed her directions. The gentle crackle of the coals as they slowly burned down, he slid his fingers through her hair, the rough, calloused palm catching the fine strands as they passed over his hand, he rested his hand on her lower back, holding her close as the kiss grew slowly in passion.
 
Penny let out a whimper as she felt John’s hand traced through her hair before settling on her lower back. The very action brought them closer as her fingers tangled in his hair. The kiss grew steadily deeper and soon she was parting her lips, allowing him access that she’d never willingly allowed anyone before.

She trust John with her life. She trusted him to make everything in her life right again. Most of all, she was growing to love him and the very thought had her heart near to bursting. This was a man that she wanted to spent the rest of her days with.
 
Her lips softly parted for him and he did what came natural, he explored further, his tongue slowly slipping into her mouth, tasting her, meeting her own tongue. Their tongues swirled together, pressing and prodding, jockeying for possession and he loved every second of it. Her scent filled his senses and her soft body felt so good against him.
 
Penny whimpered as John's tongue swirled with hers. She could taste his hnique flavor and her heart was racing as his hands continued to press her tightly against his body. He was as enthusiastic and needy as she and that thought brought a smile to her face.

As the kiss broke, she looked at John and panted for breath. Her lips felt bruised and she found herself nibbling on her lower lip. Her fingers trailed over his cheek, a shy smile crossing her features as she fought for the courage to ask for what she really wanted.

"Make love to me, John." She said softly, the words coming out in a quick rush.
 
He smiled at her, leaning in to kiss her again, this time his hands were not idle, they slowly stroked over her body as they kissed, he found the buttons on her dress and slowly started to undo them. He took his time, savoring each second and giving her the chance to halt this should she choose to. He slid the sleeves from her arms and slowly started to pull the dress down, revealing her skin underneath, leaning in to kiss each exposed inch of her flesh
 
Back
Top