Tigrans' Revenge IC

Aziza, Sanura, and Jonz

"This is much more yours than it is mine. I will make you a better offer, you allow me to stay and I will share what food I have." The draconian stated. "Rabbit stew with day-old bread; it's better than wolf's leg and hockberry roots."

Aziza and Sanura looked at each other, surprised at this turn of events. The draconian had been more than fair, he was being just and honorable. Tales and rumors Aziza remembered about the dragon-men had mirrored this draconian action. A terrible enemy … fierce warriors … but a race with much pride and honor … Aziza was already trying to figure out a way to hire the mercenary to fight with them. But she had no money and no idea how much one would cost. But she was confident that the tigran god … would solve this problem in the near future … for now she needed to become friends with this warrior.

“We wholeheartedly accept your offer!” Aziza said with a smile.

She turned to her half-sister again “Can you stand?” Her sister nodded yes, and Aziza helped her to her feet. They both walked over the draconian, who was kneeling down as he unpacked his cooking pot.

“Sir Draconian” Aziza started but was interrupted by the dragon-man

The Draconian smiled … showing off his razor shape teeth. “Jonz … is my name” He offered.

Aziza restarted her statement “Jonz … how can we help?” Jonz pointed to the vegetables for the rabbit stew. Sanura headed over to prepare them. Aziza worked on skinning the rabbit.

“Since we are going to be sharing a grave” Aziza said as she removed the rabbit skin.

“Grave??” Sanura asked “Don’t like the sound of that … perhaps crypt … or maybe crib is a better name for the place”

“Whatever we call this place … Since we are going to be sharing it. I think we should provide Jonz with some of our backgrounds. I’ll go first” Aziza suggested. Then she proceeded to explain being born into one of rich families living on the Isle of Ventulli. Her recent discovery of Sanura, her half sister. The family... quarrel. The attack on the city, and their adventures with the rebel tigran army.

Sanura had less to tell, She spoke of her life in the St. Vito Monastery. How she had always been treated well, she explained her heritage that she was half Tigran and half human and how Aziza had come to save her … then the demons had attacked. By the time the two were done … the stew was ready and being served up.

“And what can you tell us about the life of a mercenary?” Aziza prompted Jonz.
 
This place really rocks

Watching the battle below … the two tigran trigger men waited for the signal to release the rocks. They never received the order. If Mirri or the Human Knight had given it … they had missed it. Nevertheless, as they watched … they knew they needed to release the rock slide now … or it would be too late. They both looked up at each other … and nodded. No words were needed. They knew they had to do it. If Mirri or the human knight could not get away … they had given them as much time as they could.

The right flank trigger tigran pulled out the magic fireball scroll and spoke the magic word. This triggered the scroll. But one of the floating demon brains had spotted him … and cast an energy bolt. The energy bolt knocked the tigran down. The fireball scroll was dropped in the process … and bounced down the cliff face … and exploded. A few rocks came loose … but it did not cause a rock slide.

The left trigger tigran spoke the magic word … and tossed the fireball scroll at the weak point along the rock ridge. The scroll fell into the fissure … deep within ... there was an explosion … followed by a cracking sound … A giant wedge of rock peeled off the cliff face … it was a bigger block of rock than what the tigrans had planned … It was like the whole cliff face was falling away … the tigran trigger man ran backwards ... as the ground he stood on gave way … The giant block of rock was 200 meters in length … it fell into the jungle below … it scattered into huge shower of rocks … the rocks tumbled and avalanched into the ditch area. The roar was so great that it could be heard back in the city of Ardalis … everything in the ditch area was covered by rubble to an average depth of 50 feet. A massive cloud of dust was created which bellowed into the sky.

The rockslide had squished the harvester bugs … like when a person that steps on a cockroach. There was the satisfying squishing/popping sound …as both harvester bugs were destroyed. Literally a stone's bounce beyond the area buried under the huge mountain of rocks stood Mirri, Sir Deson Hild … and what was left of the middle defensive line. Most the tigrans stood in sheer terror … watching the rocks coming toward them. They knew they would be crushed … but as if there was a divine force … the rocks stopped just before them.

Everyone ears were still ringing … when the stag mounted demons … rode over the rocks sped toward them!! There were not enough defenders … to stop these new fast attackers. To make matters worse … coming over the left flank … was 500 more shadow demons led by a demon waving a black sword! That demon eyes were GLUED on the human knight!!

Ikalaz

Ikalaz yelled “Excellent!” as he still heard the sounds of battle. He was not too late. As he rode on the back of his stag mount … he removed the protective covers that covered his most deadly weapon. He rode straighter as he held the sheathed sword. The scabbard was made from the teeth of humans … which he had pulled from the victims while they were still alive. He gripped the pommel and drew the sword. It was a magnificent, oversized falchion. Its heavy, single edged blade could cleave through the sturdiest armor. Its blade shown black as from the deepest pit of Hell. Deep within the metal, a black flame pulsed.

“Knight’s Bane, you feel so good in my grasp once more,” the demon roared in pleasure. If the blade struck the human knight’s heart … his soul would be forever trapped in the blade. The demon’s army appeared over the left ridge … and charged at the human knight.

Queen Shella

The queen had been busy during the battle … and helped from afar with her bow. But she watched as the defenders lines grew thinner and thinner. She knew they would need help. She ran back to the civilians … she had organized them as a reserve unit in case there was a break through.

“Everyone … you are needed NOW!” she ordered … and ran back towards the defensive lines. Of the 1000 civilians over 700 of them could fight. All of them came running with the queen.

“FOR ARDALIS … FOR THE KING … FOR REVENGE!!!!!!!!” the queen screamed … rushing to help Mirri and Sir Deson Hild.
 
Last edited:
Jonz

"The life of a mercenary..."

He gave the question serious thought,

"It is a thankless work, dangerous and yield only monetary reward, the fact that people get to know your name doesn't much for you. You remain a sell-sword, the lowest of the low, one without honor or any ties to your people."

He snorted,

"I started life without ties to anything or anybody, so it was not much of an adaption for me."

He took his own bowl, took the bread from his bag and broke it open, offering the remainder to the two girls,

"Breaking bread with two Tigrans, didn't think that my day will end like this, but then coming under attack by Stingers was not how I thought my day to start."

He cocked his head as he looked at them once more,

"Is there a commander? Perhaps I could offer my services?"
 
Deson knew the leader of this new attack, in fact he was the so well-known that he was even taught during Squire training, taking a steady breath he flexed his shoulder and drew his short sword...

"Archers! Target those steeds! Pikes and Spears to the front!"

He waited for his orders to be followed, he turned and pointed his golden blade at the Tigrans standing behind him,

"Hold this line!"

With that he bent down to remove the rest of his armor leaving him with just his long sword, his shield and the short sword, dressed in heavy leather boots, black leggings and his chain mail. He drew back and threw, the odds of hitting any vital part with a sword is so slender that nobody ever uses it as a thrown weapon, but not everybody trains as much as Deson does and not many ever tries out all the different kinds of weapons like he does. The sword flipped over in a lazy circle, whistling as it goes, for a moment it seems like the throw will be short, but the speed of the mount takes it right into the blade as it completed a turn, the blade sinking through the small brain, sending the bug sprawling to the ground, throwing Ikalaz from his seat.

Deson drew his sword and shield, without any battlecry he ran towards the approaching enemy, the golden gleam of his sword enough to mark him as a serious threat to the shadow demons, he sidestepped the first stag, cutting it's legs, deflected the lunge from the shadow demon, taking off the legs of the stag behind it. He sidestepped, dodged and lashed out at the stags, leaving them maimed on the ground, their riders struggling to get to their feet. He thanked The One that the Tigrans had good aim, without his armor he would get skewered by their arrows, but as it was the Tigran arrows found their marks all around him. As the attack faltered around him, he withdrew, it was something that he was growing used to now.
 
Skadu

Skadu had made a safe trail all the way back to the camp site. Once there he had read the signs. An army had been here then split up. A sizable force had followed the false and booby trapped trail they had laid out, but another smaller force had followed the small trail towards the river meeting spot. This could be a disaster if they caught up to the queens forces and they were unprepared. Then Skadu had a worse thought. What if this was not the only army out here. After all they were too eager to split their forces. Not something he would do after seeing the size of the campsite unless they knew they had backup coming. Damn now he knew he had to catch them up quickly.

He left one of his scouts behind to tell Commander Hatu his fears and to get the following men to run after him, then he took the remaining 18 scouts and pushed on ahead.

They finally found the battle sight just as the fighting started. Skadu and his scouts felt frustrated that they could do nothing as they watched their country men get slaughtered. Then Skadu saw it. The huge tent that had been set up near the rear. He edged them closer but saw that it was not guarded from the rear at all. The demons did not expect anyone to attack from that way and had not posted anyone to guard from there. Skadu counted ten shadow demons and 3 large looking ones. One was a good head taller than the others and seemed to be giving the orders. He was the one that needed to die. Down in the valley he could see mounted bugs, shadow demons, floating brain demons and two huge bugs as big as dragons. Suddenly the huge bugs and over half the brains and mounted bugs rushed forward. Skadu watched as the Tigrans below were forced to retreat. he was just about to do something stupid when the side of the cliff came crashing down on the bugs.

He thought that would deter the commander but another hidden force came charging in on mounted bugs, flowing over the rocks. Skadu could see that the Tigran lines were getting reinforced but he also saw that the demons had reinforcements to. He needed to do something. Suddenly the scout he had left at the camp was beside him. "Hunter Skadu, Commander Hatu went to destroy the invaders that walk the cemetery path. He has sent two hundred men ahead and puts them under your command."
Skadu nodded and turned back to examine the field. How was he to turn the tide with just two hundred men? Calling over the two claw leaders he asked a quick question. "I would assume their armies must be similar to ours. The higher ups make the decisions and that gets filtered down am I correct?"
They both nodded waiting to find out what his plan was." That is the big bug. We kill the head and the body doesn't know what to do. My scouts and I will kill him. You get ready. As soon as we attack you shoot all the reinforcements you can down there then start on the main battle. Make as much noise as you can so they think there are more than there are. Good luck sergeants."

Skadu called his scouts over and explained the plan. "We go quietly, Use stealth. They are not expecting us from behind. Pick your target and kill with one blow. Stab through the head to avoid armor. Now go and the big one is mine."

It took two minutes for the scouts to sneak into position and another two for them to get behind their targets. Skadu and two others had cut a hole in the back of the tent and had gotten behind the large trio. Standing up they thrust their blades straight through the backs of their heads and out their mouths. It was the signal and as the other scouts dispatched the guards a flight of arrows soared over head quickly followed by another one. Skadu grinned as the shadow armies reinforcements started to drop dead. Sheathing his sword he unslung his bow and soon his own arrows were adding to the carnage. This was turning into a good day.
 
Scar

Scar took lead position heading into the tunnel, followed by Pearl, Fawn and in the rear guard position Tia. After some traveling they reached the secret door to enter the damaged “Madame Isis’s cat house”. Scar listened at the door for some time. Then he nodded to the girls.

“Locks clear ... lit gang in” Scar whispered pulling out his massive Claymore sword. He slowly opened the door. He took a sniff. “Thaur be death an' fightin' in th' air.” He entered the basement. Searching around then headed up the stairs onto the first floor.

The girls followed looking at the dead shadow demons and the two burnt bodies of the tigrans. Scar shook his head. “Some kin' ay barnie haur ... but these bodies arenae reit”

Tia nodded “Two tigrans … but the cloth is from a small person” She sniffed the clothing “Does not smell like tigran” She said.

“Wee person … Halfling” Scar growled … “and” his face grew very sour “A snake …a Naga” he also split out the last words. None of the girls knew anything about Nagas. But based upon Scar reaction they were trouble.

As they completed searching the house for clues … Scar found the small tuff of white furred tigran ...on the widow frame. He sniffed that too … nodding his head.

“They went thes way.” he pointed out the window. Then suddenly something bothered him. A worried look came over his face. Call it a sixth sense … but somehow Scar knew Isis was in trouble. BAD trouble.

“What is it?” Pearl asked concern on her face.

“Arrhhh ... fear somethin' bad jist happened ...to Isis …” Scar said shaking his head. All the girls look extra worried. Scar shook his head. He knew there was nothing he could do … he needed the girls to focus on the mission.

“Dornt be silly ... noow … git oour arses thoough this window … we need thah fookin rebellion gooin” Scar growled … but deep inside he was worried … and angry. The bugs had harmed or maybe even killed Isis. This feeling had made a few things very clear to him, his feeling toward Isis and his feelings toward the demons. He did not need an oath to the tigran Queen … to kill these invaders. His path had just become clear. He was going kill these invaders … because they had harmed something he loved.

He remembered what Isis had said to him as they parted. He was worried about her … and her answer was “if you worry you'll be distracted...if distracted you'll get yourself killed. We fight to live we live to fight...a soldiers duty is to try and try do or die.''

These thoughts made Scar's pale blue eye steady. “I'll gang first ... an' main th' gods help onie bugs we meit” He said as he went through the window.

They all climbed through the window … and followed the tracks to the river’s shore. The tipped over house hung out over the river. Scar saw the window and smiled. It would have been the place he would pick as well. The four entered the water and approached the window. Signaled the girls to stay … as his head went under the water. 20 seconds later … there was a mighty gush of water as Scar jumped out of the river and through the window into the house.

Scar leapt into the house with such speed that he was on Throgram before the tigran could raise his sword. Scar had him by the throat and pinned against a wall with one hand.

The Capt’n had been sewing up a black outfit … and only had time to drop it … before Scar’s other hand which held the huge sword had the tip against his throat.

The Felina’s, Jola’s, and Gilly’s eyes opened to this scene. As Scar growled, “Dornt move ... ur these tois ur deid. noo whit hae we haur ... looks loch rebels tae me!”
 
Sub-commander Ekkchew

Sub-commander Ekkchew watched as the Ikalaz rode over the ridge the black sword raised above the soul collector’s head. Ekkchew had been upset that the clever Tigrans had triggered the rock slide killing his harvester demons. In fact he had been so upset he had pulled the head off one of his shadow demon guards. But the arrival of the stag mount demons riding over the rock slide and Ikalaz surprising attack from the flank sealed the fate of the human, the tigrans and their queen. The battle was basically over. Standing next two of his junior officers Ekkchew was giving them a lecture.

“That is the end of the tigran race” Ekkchew boasted with a little arrogant flip of his clawed hand. “My brilliant battle strategy … made it all possible.” He continued to brag to the two officers in the command tent. “A stupid and arrogant race if I may say so … we demon … have eliminated them in record time …

Suddenly a sword came out of Ekkchew's mouth which prevent him from stating another word. The sword had passed through the back of his head … and came out of his mouth. Skadu's sword tip was covered in Ekkchew’s black bug plasma. There was no question the demon was dead. It really did not matter that Ekkchew could not talk or warn his fellow officers … as all them died at pretty much the same time and in the same way as Ekkchew did.

Ikalaz

Had not tumbled when throw by his dead mount. In fact he landed on his feet in a battle ready status. He let the other demon riders attack the human knight as he watched … noting the knight's skill and any weakness in his sword handing abilities. When the knight had dispatched the demons around him.

Ikalaz stepped forward.

“The human knight of the church … I smelled your foul magic in the tigran camp. You were a fool to give away your position to me … just to save a few tigrans. Once I kill you, I shall go undo your work and kill all the ones you saved!!” Ikalaz laughed.

“Now my blade … is called Knight’s Bane … and soon you will find out why!!” Ikalaz cackled wildly as he began his attack. Sir Deson Hild parried the demon sword's thrusts and cuts … but he realized the demon’s magical blade attacked twice as fast as a normal sword fighter. It took all his skill to keep up with the almost constant attacks ... he had few opportunities to strike a counter blow.

Then his chance occurred … as he was able to get the demon off balanced … his golden sword scrapping along the demon’s side. But instead of blood gusting out … something disquieting happened. The demon lord’s skin burst into flames. “I have many tricks you have not seen yet … silly weak human!” The demon laughed … as it launched itself into the air … flying over Sir Deson Hild and landing behind him … this all happened so suddenly ... Deson was in an awkward defensive position … as the demon got ready to thrust the black blade into the knight’s back!

But the blow did not come …as the demon screamed in pain instead … Deson finished whirling around to see Queen Shella there … fighting the demon. With a single stroke, the queen had cut off the demon's tail about 3 feet from the base.

Ikalaz gave a high-pitched shriek, "BITCH!!! YOU WILL DIE FOR THAT!!!”

The queen laughed “I’m not a female dog … I’m a female tigran … STUPID!!” She said trading blows with the demon “And I’m not a Knight … so Knight’s Bane … means nothing to me! Now stop picking on my human friend …”

Deson charged in ... joining the battle … but the demon was able to defend against both their attacks … his blade was that quick.

“Enough playing … I had wanted to suck your soul dry Queen Shella” Ikalaz growl … as his sword parried Deson attack … his burning hand grabbed the Queen’s arm. There was the sound of sizzling flesh and the smell of burning fur. As the queen smacked the demon’s hand away a second later but the damage was done. A burnt hand print on the queen’s arm … as the queen staggered backwards her other hand covering her damaged arm.

“NOW IT’S YOUR TURN … HUMAN” The demon doubled its attack on Deson no longer worried about the Queen’s attacks.

The Rest of the Battle

The queen’s 700 civilian fighters actually made quick work of Ikalaz 500 attacking shadow demons. At first this might seem surprising … but in fact it made total sense. Ikalaz force could barely hold their swords up. Physically exhausted from the long run through the jungle … and mentally exhausted from all the traps and false trails … they were useless as a fighting force. The civilian on the other hand … fought like cornered wild animals. They had nothing to lose. In addition … the words and their queen had showed them what to fight for ... “FOR ARDALIS … FOR THE KING … FOR REVENGE!!!!!!!!”

That was how they all felt … these demons … had caused all their hardships …and now it was payback time!.

The same could not be said for the stag mounted demon come over the rock slide. These were fresh demon troops and they were attacking the very tired middle defense line … the queen’s arrival had helped … but it was not enough. However, something happened that was not expected. Arrows started to rain down on the mounted demons … additionally there was a great noise coming from the jungle. Another army had arrived and was attacking the rear of the mount stag demon. The demon force was confused … continue the attack up the hill or turn around and attack the forces below them. That indecision was costly. Arrows continued to kill more and more demon riders … in the end the mounted force made the worst possible decision … they split their forces …. Attacking the new force below them and the defensive middle line (which now had 700 blooded … confident civilian enforcements).

As a result … the main battle was looking good for the tigrans. Talon leader Mirri had only two problems left … the two floating brain demons that continued to try and kill her with their energy explosions … and making sure the queen and the human knight were not killed in their battle with the demon with the black sword!
 
Jola

Jola had slept in her black vest, but she had put away her sword and staff. She did have her dagger. The tip of her snake tail now held the weapon and she was quietly bring it around to stab at the large Worgen. Her snake coiled and twisted in irritation that the tigran guards she had trusted had failed her. "The other races were stupid and incompetent" Jola reminder herself as she looked at the Worgen.

The worgen stated with a growled, “Dornt move ... ur these tois ur deid. noo whit hae we haur ... looks loch rebels tae me!”

“Kill those two … see if I care” Jola said completely uncaring “You are saving me the trouble … I was going to kill them for failing to guard me while I was slept anyhow”

Worgen one eye look at the Naga “Ye dornt have tay many followers ... lassie … I’d be careful about killin too many of them” Then his foot went back and step on Jola tail tip which held the dagger. “We'll hae nane of 'at either lassie ... ye slimmy snake .. I hae seen your kind fight before.” The worgen added.

Jola looked harder at Worgen. “Looks like your options are up … a sword point is at my boat captain … another at my tigran imperial garrison officer and your foot on my tail … what are you going to use to block my next attack?” Jola asked as she got ready to cast a spell.

“Lassie ye reaa dornt want tae test me ...” Worgen replied in a growl

“Same here” Jola answered right back as she rose up, getting ready for the battle.

Felina had watched the exchange between the Naga and the Worgen and realized this was becoming a test of strength and not for a purpose. She pulled back her Tigran cloak revealing her face to the Worgen … this also revealed her sexy body and brilliant white fur. (She had slept in her clothing … her light brown corset, fur lined, red shorts and a matching red neck scarf and her thigh high boots.

“Ok Jola … and Sir Worgen … I think we both have a common enemy … the shadow demons … how about everyone relax … as I prepare a late afternoon dinner. We can talk about how we can help each other” Felina stated, confident she had guessed right about the Worgen.

“Ye hae a smart one there …I accept” The worgen said as he release Throgram, pulled his sword away the Capt’n, and lastly removed his foot from Jola’s tail. Throgram gasped for breathe … and the Capt’n stepped back and picked up his weapon placing it back on his belt.

Jola looked over to Felina wondering how she had figured out the Worgen was fight against the shadow demons. Felina would later tell her, it was obvious … the Worgen had killed no one … and acted too independent to be working for the demons.

“'I'm Scar Blackclaw, I’m fighting for the queen shella … I knoow Tigran an Worgen don't git along. But Ardalis has been my home nigh on seven seasons. An I dun plan on lettin Demon Lords an bugs, ore' stay their welcome!'' He said as he whistled to the girls lancer in the water below pulled themselves into the house. Scar introduced Pearl, Fawn and Tia to the others. Scar shook everyone hands but Jola and Gilly.

“Ye have said naught so far … who are ye” Scar asked of Gilly.
 
Gilly

As Gilly watched the confrontation between Jola and Scar she wasn’t sure if she trusted either one of them. Sure Jola fought with them and helped save them, but she sensed that there was more to Jola that she wasn’t telling them. As for Scar, he was a Worgen! Now mind you, he did get the upper hand on the guys who were supposed to be standing guard and he hadn’t killed anyone, yet, but he had an attitude about him. There was something else about him also that Gilly was picking up, a small bit of saddness.

“I am Gilly Burrows.” Gilly replied as she stood up fully, trying to appear taller than her 4’5”. “What are you doing here in the city? How do we know you are really fighting for the Queen? And why do you have these “women” with you?” Gilly asked in a snide tone.

Gilly looked over and saw Felina watching her. Her eyes were wide in fear that Gilly may have angered the people in the room who have weapons. Felina continued to prepare food, but was keeping an eye on what was going on just in case she needed to help her friends. She didn’t care if Gilly wanted a friend or not, she had one!

Gilly stood there with an indignant look while she waited for Scar to respond.
 
The city rebels ... fighting?

“Ye be a feisty wee person. I'm a protectur of madam isis' cat hoose. These ladies ur from thaur ... they ur also members of th' royal lancers. Captain Isis is their leader. ye will hae to tak' mah wuid 'at I’m oan a mission frae th' queen. However, later today Ah plan tae communicate tae 'er army ... mebbe 'at will assure ye.” Scar said … not sure what to make of the Halfling.

Pearl spoke up “He is telling the truth … I and all the other girls can attest to that” Fawn and Tia nodded their heads up and down. “Anyhow … you are not a tigran … you are with a Naga. Maybe we should ask about your loyalty??”

Scar put up his hand “Pearl, we will hae nane ay 'at.” Scar said firmly … but he did glance over to the Jola.

Jola nodded and answered. “A fair question. My house had been destroyed, I have been imprisoned, starved, Demons have tried to kill me. That would be reason enough for me to fight. But I also sense this demon attack is bigger than Ardalis. The Nest is to the North… if the demons take over the Tigran kingdom. My home land will be next … or the draconian to the west or both of us. The demons are up to something. We need to stop them.”

Capt’n Bone spoke up ““Aye … the buxom snake is right … and speaks the truth. She has saved all our lives … from the pustulant, pox-ridden, demons!" he said.

Jola asked Scar “How did you find us?”

“Ah tracked ye haur frae Isis hoose ... clever trick wi' th' bodies ... but th' wee bodie gie ye awa'. th' burnt bodies ur only tigran, nae wee folk. I foond white fur on th' window ... rare colur fur a tigran. Took me reit to th' river.” Scar explained. Then he turned to the Halfling again “Anymair questions?”
 
Gilly glared at Pearl when she asked about her loyalty! How dare she! Gilly has been in here trying to save the King and she has the nerve to question her loyalty? Gilly then looked over at Felina when Scar mentioned there was white fur on the window!

“Actually, yes! What is your mission? How did you get into the city?” Gilly asked.

Gilly had a feeling he was telling the truth and if he was he wouldn’t be put out by her questions and would answer them without a problem. If he hesitated then Gilly would make sure not to turn her back on him or the others with him. Gilly had seen places where they worked, but never had been face to face with one of the “girls”. She wasn’t sure what to think about them since Scar said they were also Royal Lancers! Why would women from a cat house be Royal Lancers? Gilly had a lot of questions, but most of them could wait until later, if she ever asked them at all.
 
Scar chuckled at Gilly's question. The secret tunnel into the city ... if she was a spy … if anyone one of them was a spy … that information could hurt the insurgence greatly. But building trust with the team members was also important. He reached up and stroked his chin.

“Gilly … ye ask a most difficult question … shoods anyain in thes crew be a spy … th' knowledge ay hoo we got within th' walls of th' city … would be most valuable. Nevertheless, Ah need tae ken quickly if Ah can troost aw of ye.” His eyes glanced over to Jola, then he continued “we arrived in tae th' city via a secrit tunnel … th' tunnel entrance is located near madam Isis’ cat hoose.” He stated

“Our mission was tae help th' rebels within th' city … an' tae communicate wi' th' queen army oan progress.” Scar said with no hesitation.

Before Gilly could ask any more questions, Felina arrived with plates of food for everyone. Everyone was hungry and having some food took the edge off the tension. While they ate … Jola explained the situation in the city … how brave Felina and Gilly had been in posting the flyers, the people’s mood, the large group of tigran citizens that had journeyed to the mines, and the need for the bugs to produce King Goldenmane to directly order the people to help the demons.

Felina asked “So what is the plan for tonight?”

Jola looked over to Scar “I would suggest some ideas … but defer to the Worgen. He is the fighter … I’m just an ambassador.” Jola said.

“Ah woods be interested in hearin' yer suggestions.” Scar said.

Jola nodded sensing a trap ... but went ahead and stated her ideas. “I would suggest the following. Gilly and Felina make more flyers and bring them back here.”

“Capt’n and Throgram rest until the flyers arrive … then join Gilly and Felina for the posting, adding some protection this time.”

“I need to do a bit of spying … I want to get a better look at that the portal … and what is coming out of it. I was also thinking they plan to transport the iron ore to the city to make weapons, if I destroy the transports that should mess up their plans.”

“Finally, Scar and royal lancers … should communicate with the queen’s army. I do not know how much rest your team needs … however, two of the girls should sleep … so they can guard us during the day. And Scar and the other two … can recruit more followers and … gather up some material to sabotage the demons efforts … and find out who is the demons’ leader.”

Scar nodded. “A good plan but eh'd make an adjustment. Ah shaa be gonnae wi' ye, Jolla, on th' spyin' an' transport mission.” Scar said. The tension between the two went way up. As they both glared at each other.

Felina spoke up “Gilly is a thief … she should go on the spying trip.” Then she realized she should not have told everyone that gilly was a thief. “Sorry Gilly … but you have the best skills ... you should go!” Felina added.

Everyone turned to look at Gilly.
 
Gilly looked at Felina with a shocked look; she can’t believe Felina called her a thief! Sure, technically that is what she was, but she never stole more than what was needed. Felina just called all the attention to Gilly, something she doesn’t like! This is why she doesn’t have friends and usually avoids being around others! Gilly decided to downplay her skills and focus on the others flaws.

“I am not really a thief, I don’t go around stealing money and jewels and such. Sure I have stolen some food and blankets and maybe an article of clothing or two, but nothing anyone would notice or miss! Part of the reason I am good at spying and such is because I am so small. The tigran don’t usually look down so they don’t notice me! Heck, most races don’t usually look down.” Gilly stated. “If you are looking to spy, sorry to say it, but sending the tallest and the ones who stand out the most and will probably argue, is not a good idea! You two stick out like a sore thumb! Besides, who would be in charge? I bet you couldn’t agree and even if you did agree would you really listen to the other one? If you want to know what is coming out of the portal and what it looks like without anyone being noticed then I would go alone and do it for you!”

Gilly looked from Jola to Scar and could see that neither really liked what she said but had to admit she was right. They definitely would not follow orders from the other and they would argue, but do they really want to send in a halfling by herself? She would need backup in case something went wrong.
 
There was a growl from the Worgen and a hiss from the Naga. There was also laughter from the big breasted white tiger Tigran.

“Ye arenae gonnae aloyn.” Scar stated quickly and firmly

“It is magical … I know some magic … I think I should be there.” Jola offered right away.

“Gilly you are amazing!” Felina said to Gilly. Then she turned to the other two. “Gilly is right about you two not getting along” she said to Scar and Jola “So I think Gilly should be charge of the mission!” Felina said laughing harder when she heard more growling and hissing.

“Ah can gie alang ... Ah jist dornt want ta” Scar growled.

“I’m trying to getting along … but the big wolf has a bad attitude” Jola explained. But everyone including Capt’n Bones looked at her like she was part of the problem. “Ok … mission by committee … there are three of us … majority rules.” Jola suggested. It was something a diplomat would have suggested. Jola was a diplomat.

“Ye cannae leid a mission by a committee! Anyhow the wee person answers to the snake” Scar growled.

Gilly stood taller, her shoulders back and was about to say “NO, I DON”T” When Scar growled “Agree ... committee ... until we ken each other better”

Everyone finished eating their food. Scar went to go signal the queen’s army. The house they were in was prefect for that. He did not even need to leave it. It now hung over the river, so signaling up the river was as simple as going to the correct window and using the mirror. He sent the same message every 5 minutes … and on the second series he saw the return flash. It was just two flashes. That meant the signal was understood. No flashes meant repeat or try again. Three flashes meant get your team out of there and return. Scar wished the messenger in the jungle could send more information … tell him how Isis was … how the army had faired against the demon army. But too many flashes from the jungle would alert the demons. So Scar headed back to the common room … knowing in his heart, something bad had happened to Isis. This got his anger up … and he directed almost all of that to the shadow demons … but he kept a small amount for the snake woman.

“Awe message sent” Scar reported. The others had gotten ready while he sent the message. Felina had a bag of ashes … to turn into a dark gray tigran again after getting out of the river. Tia was going to go with her to the monks and bring the flyers back here for posting, Tia covering for Gilly’s spot.

Jola had her weapons with her now, the sword, dagger, and staff. Jola and Gilly were also completely in black covering outfits Capt’n Bones had made while they had slept earlier. Scar looked them over

“It nae only hoo ye look … but soond … an' smell.” Scar pointed out grumbly. Jola smiled “Now you sound like Gilly … she said the same thing only without the attitude and accent!” Jola said and showed off how the cloth had been used to make sure there was no metal to metal “clinking.”

“As for smell … the river will take care of that … I’ll be taking us under the water to the far bridge. It will be fast …so you just need to hold your breath” Jola explained.

“Ah wulnae be gettin' intae th' water wi' teh naga! Ah ken whit they are capable of. We'll be stayin' on Land tae gie tae th' portal” Scar said firmly.

“WHAT … that is stupid!” Jola said. “We need to exit and enter the river at different spots … so demons don’t figure out where our base is at! Also it is faster my way”

“Nae gonnae happen” Scar said “Ah wulnae be gettin' intae th' water wi' teh naga”

Jola slithered closer to him, her snake tail wrapping around his one leg as she rubbed her human body against his side … her hand gentle touching his shoulder “I just love the way …Worgen taste. I love the way they struggle … as they slowly suffocate … swallowing water until they stop moving.” Jola said in her quiet evil voice. Scar was not scared of Jola. He was not scared of anything actually. But it was very unwise to fight a Naga in the water. He did not want to give her that kind of advantage.

Felina realized Scar behavior towards Jola had not been helpful … but what Jola was doing now was extra unhelpful, It even creeped her out.

“Committee decision” She said looking to Gilly.
 
Gilly knew if she didn’t get them to stop irritating each other than the mission was at big risk and they would all be taken prisoner! They were acting like children and needed to start acting like a team!

Gilly glared at Jola. “I am not going to deal with you two trying to get the upper hand on each other! You are acting like children and I will not be going on a mission with either of you if this doesn’t stop here and now! Jola, get your tail off of Scar! Scar, going in and out using the water will hide our smell better than if we go by land and if Jola does anything to even remotely hurt you, I will stab her myself, deal? Our enemy is the demon bugs, not each other. If we want to survive and get the information we need then we have to get along! Now stop this behavior, get your gear and let’s get going! Committee dissolved!"

Gilly started out of the room and actually hoped neither of them followed her because then she could sneak in and out much easier! But luck wasn’t with her and soon they both were following her. Jola had a smug look on her face and Scar looked like he hated the world, but at least they were following her.

“Okay, now, we are going in the water, Jola, don’t be a jerk and freak out Scar any more than he already is about going in the water with you! Scar, do you like everyone you are teamed up with? I highly doubt it, but you do trust them, or at least learn to, right? Okay, so you have to learn to trust Jola, and if not her than trust me when I say that it will be safe to go in the water and much faster also.”
 
Gilly comments put her in charge of the team. Felina had been watching and was amazed at how forceful she was. She led the other to the exit window. The darkness was already moving in … as Jola tail slipped out of the window.

“See if you can be as quiet as I am” Jola said as a challenge to Scar. Holding her body with the window frame … only the tip of her tail made a noise as she lowered her snake body into the water. She was long enough so her snake body touched the river bed. She could lower the rest of her body silently into the river. The water level here was above a normal person’s waist but not much higher.

Scar was next. He pulled his great sword and scabbard off his back and slipped it over a wooden notch by the window … then he grabbed the window frame with one hand and lowered his feet into the river. There was a very small noise as his other hand grabbed the sword scabbard and he lowered himself the rest of the way using the sword scabbard like a rope.

He had been very quiet too and was now standing next Jola, as he put the sword scabbard back on his back. Jola smiled and said “Well done. That was clever.”

Gilly was the last … she could have lower herself by rope … but she wanted to make a point.

“If I lower myself from the window … can both of you grab me and bring me quietly into the water?” She asked. Jola and Scar nodded yes. Gilly quickly hung from the window and both of them grabbed her and lowered her into the water. By the time she was standing on the river bed … the water level for her was near her shoulders. She had been the most quiet to enter the river.

“Sometimes … we are stronger as a team ... then by ourselves” Gilly said making her point.

“Take a deep breath team and give me your hands ” Jola said “No need to kick … just hold your breath.” She said as she sank until just her head was above the slowly flowing water.

Gilly and Scar did the same …Scar could use his dog nose … to be almost completely underwater like a crocodile. There were three deep breaths … and the three heads disappeared under the water. Traveling with the current the trip was faster downstream … than when Jola had traveled upstream. In a bit over a minute three head appeared under the Ottha bridge leading into the artisan quarter.

"That wasn't so bad" Jola said

Scar smiled "Nay" as he said as his hand came out from under the water a long dagger in it. He flipped the dagger around and put it back in his belt.

Jola took a gulp .... understanding Scar had been ready to cut her hand off if he had stayed too long under the water.

Gilly looked at the two of them ... "Ok stop fooling around ... I know some smuggler's tunnels to help us get out of the river and not be spotted.” She said and point up to the hatch door above them. “If you two could lift me …” She said with a smile.

Jola and Scar lifted her up. Gilly opened the hatch and got in.

“I’ll go next … I’ll help lift you in” Jola said. Scar did not want help but it was the most quiet way. The Naga was able to use her body and some help from Gilly to get in the hatch. Then as she wrapped her snake body around the hoist pillar … and was able to reach with both hands to grab Scar. He was heavy Worgan … but she lifted him with easy. His eyebrows went up after that demonstration of her strength.

“Ye be stronger than ye look” He said to Jola as they were all in the smuggler tunnel under the bridge.
 
"Okay, this tunnel will lead us close to the where we need to be to enter the castle, but there is a guard shack outside of the castle and I am sure the demons have posts set up there. But we still have to make it to the shack without being seen. So let’s get moving and keep close.”

Gilly leads the way through the tunnel without incident. There are a few tunnels that break off here and there, but they keep to the main path and finally reach the end. There is a door but doesn’t appear to be a handle. Jola and Scar look at the door and then at Gilly. “Don’t worry,” Gilly tells them, “I have this one covered.” Gilly runs her hand from where the handle would be to about three feet over on the right side of what appears to be a solid wall. Her hand slips inside and she pulls a secret latch and the door pops open quietly. “Wouldn’t want just anyone using this door.” She winks. They slowly push the door open and enter the room without a sound. After they are all in, Gilly quietly pushes the door closed and moves to the door across the room, this one has a handle. She puts her ear to the door and listens, “All quiet” she states. She tries to open the door but it is locked. Jola steps up and says “I have this one.” She whispers a few words and the door opens. They enter the main room of the cottage and stay close to the back wall to not cause any shadows in the windows.

“Stay against the wall, I am going to peek out and see what is going on,” Gilly said. She crawled over to the window and peeked outside from the side of the window. What she saw was shocking! The demons were going into each home and searching it whether occupied or not. After they searched it, they put a mark on the door and moved on to the next one. One of them was holding something and showing it to people. As Gilly continued to watch she realized it was one of the fliers that she and Felina had posted around town. They were looking for her and Felina! She crawled back over to Jola and Scar.

“We have a slight problem. It seems that the fliers Felina and I posted pissed off the demons and they are doing house to house searches. The good thing is that they mark each house that they have already searched, so if we stick to the marked houses we will be okay. The problem will be getting to those houses without being seen. Now, I know I can do it, but you two sort of stick out like sore thumbs. It may be best if you stay here while I move forward and get the information we need about the portal.”
 
Deson used his shield to deflect the attacks, sheathing his sword and drawing his short sword, then with a cry he threw down the shield, blood on his arm, he had a look of absolute shock on his face as he looked at the gloating Ikalaz,

"You cut through me shield!"

The commander laughed,

"Your armor is no match for my blade!"

He attacked once more, with the shorter blade it was easier to parry the fast attacks, even the overhead leaps and attacks could not catch him off-guard anymore. Various nicks and cuts appeared on his flesh, a short blade could only stop so many attacks. He was growing weary, the battle was catching up with him. Ikalaz seemed anxious to kill Deson and go on to lead his forces to crush the remaining Tigran's, in his rushed attackes he became less and less concerned about the knight's attacks and feints. He kept attacking...the a fist hit him right in the middle of his burning face, forcing him to a stop, a foot to the chest drove him back and suddenly he was looking at a crossbow bolt within inches of his face. A cold smile hovered on Deson's face,

"Thought the healing magic you sensed was to heal my wounds? It was used to create illusions."

Gone was the grevious wound to Deson's arm, gone was the cut on his face and gone was the cut to his side, only then did Ikalaz realize that Deson had drawn him into a trap far more deadlier than any Tigran could have laid. He roared his defiance...the roar ended as the blessed bolt struck him full in the face and the bolt exploded, throwing Deson backwards. He landed with a loud thud, he could see the body of Ikalaz staggering forward and fall over, then he could feel and see no more as the fatigue of Knight's Bane's wounds overcame him.
 
Mirri

Mirri had dropped back with the remnants of the defensive force and set up a line. She had set them up on a rise about two hundred yards away from where Deson and the Queen were fighting the commander of the bugs.There were not many of them left about 800 all told but they were determined to not let the bugs passed.The bloody Brain bugs were the problem. The riders were almost decimated but the floating bastards were staying out of arrow range and raining down death on them. She had to think of a way to draw them down into range. Then she had an idea. It was almost suicidal but it might work. After all they were mainly targeting her.

"All units who have them prepare bows, those that don't two paces forward and prepare to defend. Bowman shoot till you run out of arrows and then draw melee weapons. If we die we die free and proud. Wait till I give the order then loose everything at those bloody brains."

She took off running directly at the remaining riders. There were only a handful left and as she charged them Deson killed their commander. They seemed to deflate and stop in their tracks and she had killed four before the first one even reacted. Three more followed and it was turning into a slaughter. They had no heart left and moved so sluggishly she was like a hunter among cubs. Finally a blast of energy narrowly missed her and sent a bug crashing to the ground dead. Apparently the Brains had decided that they would sacrifice their own troops to kill her. She wove between them now killing targets of opportunity but mainly avoiding the brains blasts and getting them riled up enough to focus on her and forget about other things. When she thought them sufficiently angry she took off for her own lines, running as fast as she had in her life dodging and weaving. The brains followed never realizing that as she climbed they became closer to the ground and into the range of the massed bows. When she was ten yards away Mirri yelled "Fire." Three seconds later she ran through a gap in her lines. The brains finally saw their mistake and looked up just as they were hit with a mass of 500 hundred arrows. They never stood a chance.

"Reload and finish off those bugs I don't want a single one standing in two minutes time," yelled Mirri, then doubled over clutching her sides and breathed hard. She never wanted to do that again.
 
Did Gilly bug out?

Gilly question about going alone to the portal was answered with two firm “no” head shakes.

“Gilly both of us need to see the portal. We need to figure out a way not to stick out like sore thumbs …These black outfits will hide us in the shadows. But … I agree with you … we need something more.” Jola answered thinking for a second.

“I have an idea …” She said as she slithered to the window and carefully peeked out.

The shadow demons were very active with troops moving about. It was almost enough for her to suggest calling off the mission … it seem too dangerous. But she saw what she was looking for. There was a cart carrying the latest demon posters and a small 3 bug team posting the new flyers.

She moved back to the others “Here is my plan … there is a three bug team posting new flyers. When they get to the door to this house … we draw them inside … and kill them all silently. Then we turn Gilly into a bug … and Scar and I ride in the cart under the canvas where the flyers are kept”

“Turn me into a bug?” Gilly asked in fear “are you talking about magic?”

Jola smiled “No … I’m planning on killing one of them … leaving only a small mark. We open up the bug’s exoskeleton and scoop out its inners … you climb inside the shell … and you are now a bug. You drive the cart to the castle … and we are in!”

“That sounds disgusting!” Gilly said.

Scar grinned “Aye … it will be … But it shoods work ... th' snake has a good idea” Scar agreed.

10 minutes later Jola, Scar and Gilly were in position. They had opened the front door slightly … When the bugs came to the door … they noticed it was open, and opened it more. Inside the house was a trail of paper … seemly dropped in haste … laid on the floor … running towards the kitchen. The two bugs that posted the flyers went inside the house to investigate why the door was open and why there were papers on the floor. As soon as the two were past the front door, Scar (who had been standing behind the door) gently move the door so it was almost closed again and then grabbed one of the bugs by the neck in a powerful grip, so it could not make a noise. He thrust his sword right through the bug’s back … killing it.

Jola attacked the second bug at the same time … She had been in the ceiling rafters … and on cue her tail wrapped around the second bug’s head. It had time to make a small “click” in surprise … before there was a snapping sound and it slumped over. Scar glared at Jola … for letting the bug make the small “click” sound before kill it. Jola just mouthed “sorry” as they pulled the bodies away. The third bug on the cart waited … it appeared it had not heard the small click. After a few minutes … it went to the slightly open door … and peeked in … it started to “click” to call out to the other bugs, when Jola slipped from the ceiling and rammed a wooden spoon in its mouth … she and Scar grabbed it … yanking it into the house. This time the front door closed completely as Gilly thrust her short sword into its chest and cut it open all the way to its crotch. It was dead.

Jola and Scar gently pulled the exoskeleton open and Gilly scooped out the inners. “YUCK” she said.

“Be sure to empty out the arms and legs too” Jola said. Gilly quickly completed the gruesome task.

“Can’t we wash it out at least …” Gilly suggested.

“Ok but quickly … before they notice the unattended cart” Jola said

Gilly got a bucket of water and cleaned the insides out. Then she stepped inside the thing. Her hands could only go part way down the arm holes, but her feet went to the bottom. So she could walk inside the thing. Jola and Scar pull the shell closed and used a rope tie to keep it closed. As long as Gilly did not do wild movements the thing should stay closed.

“Ok… I’ll move the cart closer … slip under the covers when the coast is clear.” Gilly said. She walked a bit unstable … but managed to open the door and get to the cart. She moved the cart right next to the door and Jola and Scar got in the back of the cart. Then gilly took off slowly towards the castle and the guard shack.

There was almost no room in the small cart for a 7'5'' over 400 pounds of grey Worgen and the Naga. To fit … Jola had to press her beautiful human upper half up against Scar. Her large breasts were pressed against the side of Scar’s face as her snake body lay against his crotch and coiled around the cart.

Jola pulled back her flowing red-brown hair which had fallen out of the cart. She looked with her deep brown eyes at how they had ended up and whispered “Sorry”

''Aye … this is awkward …” Scar whispered back ... however there was really nothing they could do about it.
 
Last edited:
Aziza, Sanura, and Jonz

Aziza and Sanura listened to the Draconian and both reacted differently to what he had said. “Life without ties to anything or anybody” he had said. Sanura had no ties to anyone … at least not until Aziza had shown up. She had some loyalty to the monastery and monks ... just because of their kindness. But that was not a direct tie. She was not tied to anything … she was not a Tigran … she was not Human, she between the two races. She felt kinship with the large dragon man. They may not look alike … but in spirit they were similar.

Aziza reaction was different. She was tied to Ardalis and her family. She was loyal to her family even after the big family fight. In fact, why she had gone after Sanura was because of family. She wanted to bring one of the lost kittens back and make sure Sanura knew there was a tie to a bigger family. She was vested in her life style and the city. She would defend Ardalis and protect the Tigran nation with her life. So her reaction to Jonz’s statement was one of seeking purpose. Jonz just needed to pick a “thing” to care about … and someone or someones to tie his loyalty to.

Both Tigrans took the bread he offered and dipped it into their stew, as Jonz asked "Is there a commander? Perhaps I could offer my services?"

Aziza and Sanura looked at each other. Sanura answered the question this time … becoming braver now she knew Jonz and she had kindred spirits.

“Well there is the resistance movement … but they are far away by now. The plan was for them to cross the river and head for …” Sanura explained until Aziza interrupted.

“Sanura, it is not wise to tell too much of the queen’s plans. We trust Jonz … but there may be spies about.” Aziza cautioned.

Sanura nodded in agreement “That was foolish of me.” She said to Jonz “As you have no doubt figured out … we are simple citizens who must now learn to fight. Can I tell him our mission?” Sanura asked her half sister

“Sanura you can … but first I would like to offer Jonz a proposal.” She turned to face Jonz. “My family is very rich … and I would like to hire you. I do not know the going rate for mercenaries. But we are in need of expert help to defend us and help us. I would offer twice the going rate. I hope that is enough. There is one small complication … my family’s funds are back in the city. So I cannot pay you until we get back to the city.” She explained.

“I know your race is proud ... and fighting for money is not thought highly of ... but you are helping a city and people that are also proud and noble. You spoke of a life without ties to anything or anybody” Aziza added “This city is in need of heroes … the people of Ardalis would be grateful of your assistance. So would both Sanura and I ... please don't only let the money convince you ... but also our cause.” Aziza asked him, awaiting his answer.
 
Clean up and repair

Queen Shella crawled over to the human knight … he had been wounded by the evil blade and had collapsed.

“Deson … Deson …” she called to him … he moaned … and then fell back asleep … totally exhausted. Talon leader Mirri arrived next to the queen and pulled her to her feet. The queen looked at her.

“I think he is ok … just tried” The queen concluded. The queen could no longer hear fighting. She and the Talon leader stood next to each other looking up and around. The battle was over … smoke still drifted over the battlefield, bodies were everywhere, but the quickly falling night would soon make it impossible to see the smoke and the death.

“We need to tend to the wounded” The Queen stated still clutching her burnt and blistered arm. Mirri nodded in agreement.

“Who saved us?” The queen asked.

Mirri pointed down the slope … a large Black Panther Tigran was climbing over the rock slide with some 200 soldiers in tow.

“Skadu! Praise him!!” The Queen gasped “But why is he in command of what is left of the 5 claws? What happened to Commander Hatur? and over 300 tigrans fighters?”

Mirri nodded wondering too “He will explain when he gets here.”

“And the left flank, what of them … and Lord Haki?” The queen asked. The left flank had collapsed in the battle.

Mirri nodded sadly “no word yet” she said

The queen ordered a large fire be built, so any forces that had gotten separated could find their way back to the Tigran main camp. “I want the wounded collected and brought together. Set up a tent near the fire. Let’s try to save as many as we can.” She said.

The first piece of good news came with the arrival of Skadu. He reported almost no losses to his men and the 3 missing claws and Commander Hatur had not been killed as first feared but were actually out harassing another army of 2000 shadow demons.

Skadu’s force and the civilian force had the energy to carry out the queen orders. They got busy rounding up the wounded and finding lost soldiers. During the night … more good news, Lord Haki and about 20 tigrans from the left flank had been found. They had climbed the trees on the ridge and continue to fire arrows into the attacking demons. All of them had been wound … many missing appendages … including Lord Haki whose left hand needed to be removed it was so badly injured.

“I tried to stop them, my queen …” He said weakly to Queen Shella

“We know … you did a great job” She replied.

“It is fitting … I lost my left hand …a daily reminder … how I lost the left flank.” He moaned.

“A lost hand … and a lost flank … is not a lost life or battle … we survived and the enemy was completely wiped out … Skadu put his sword through the enemy commander’s head. I think I like how you did better!” The queen said smiling “Get some rest … I expect you back on the job in one day!”

The lord nodded “Yes … my queen!”

At 0200 Commander Hatur and another 200 tigran soldiers showed up … with news that the other 2000 demon army had also been destroyed.

At 0400 the final piece of possible good news arrived … a busty tigran captain was brought to the wounded tent. It was Isis! She had survived crashed into the jungle. The jungle had been a thick enough … to break her fall to the ground. Unfortunately it had also broken her. She had broken bones all over her body, 5 ribs, both arms, and her one leg still had a stinger needle in it. The medical help told Tawny “She will not make it to dawn … I’m sorry.” Tawny shook her head.

“She has to make it … Scar will kill me if she does not!” The entertainer from Madam Isis Cat house said. Then an idea came to her. She hurried off to find the human knight … his healing magic … maybe he could do something?
 
Jonz

He looked at the two sisters as they spoke, he ate in silence until Izisa tried to convince him that there was more to fight for than just money. He laughed, of course it sounded more like a bark of an upset dragon than a human laugh,

"In my life I have found that money is all I can trust to keep me fed, armed and at times give me the more macabre fancies of my kind. None of these have ever been paid for by causes or status."

He looked at the two Tigran girls,

"There is though one way to have me by your side. Hire me not as a mercenary, but as a bodyguard. Of course collateral is expected before I can enter your service."

He placed his empty plate aside,

"Twenty gold coins, two silver a day and if you die I forfeit all money owed to me. In return I will protect your life with all my power, skill and will lie down my life for your own if need be."

His mouth corners twitched slightly,

"But I have a feeling that you do not have the money to pay for collateral. Make me an offer and we can discuss the deal."
 
“Let’s make a deal!”

Aziza and Sanura looked at each other. Jonz, of course had been right, they did not have that kind of money in their backpacks. Twenty gold coins, two silver ones for each day was something Aziza family could easily afford, but they had no access to the family money right now.

Sanura opened her backpack and pulled out one of the fireball scroll traps.

“We can offer you some fireball scroll traps. We were going to set up some traps for the shadow demons with them … but getting your help is more important.” Sanura suggested.

Aziza placed her hand on top of Sanura … “Keep the scrolls … we need them. Besides he is a magic welder … remember the fireball spell in his hand… I do not think some fireball scrolls would be of interest to him. I can do better” Aziza said.

She reached up to her necklace and undid it. On the necklace were two items, iron ring and a single "arrowhead" looking gem. She removed the ring from the necklace and placed the necklace back around her neck.

“This is a magic ring.” She said. “It contains a powerful protection magic. I will demonstrate.” She said.

She put the ring on her finger. Her appearance remained the same. Nothing about her had changed. She grabbed the fork she had been using to eat her stew and tried to stab it into her arm. There was a loud metal to metal noise and the fork bounced off her arm. Sanura’s eyes grew large in amazement.

“It is called “The Ring of Ironskin” Your skin will appear normal and act normal … but it will become as strong as thick iron. Sanura strike me with your scimitar” Aziza asked.

Her half-sister picked up her weapon … and got ready to strike “Are you sure?’ Sanura asked.

“Yes …” Aziza said with confidence.

Sanura struck at her with a halfhearted effort … again the metal ringing noise … and the weapon bounced off.

“HARDER” Aziza commanded.

This time Sanura used all her strength … again the weapon bounced off. Aziza body was moved slightly backwards from the blow … but there was no damage to her skin.

“Nice hit!” Aziza said to Sanura then turn to Jonz. “As you can see … a very useful item. It can only be used once a day... and only lasts 10 minutes. But in that time most weapons will do almost no damage to you. Your mass will increase while wearing it as well … so don’t try to swim across a river with it on!” Aziza explained as she took off the ring.

“I suggest the ring is our collateral until we acquire additional funds. It is far more value than 20 gold pieces. I would also make a slight adjustment to the agreement you purpose. We will also try to protect you with all our power and skill such as it is. We need a team member, an advisor … and a partner … not a servant." Aziza said “We will follow your advice where our personal protection is concerned … but we must complete our mission for the Queen which does involve dangers. Do we have a deal?” Aziza asked offering the dragon man her open hand ... “The Ring of Ironskin” sat in the palm of her hand ... ready to be taken.
 
Jonz watched the demonstration with interest, it was quite a valuable item indeed, he tilted his head as it was offered, then leaned slightly forward,

"No deal."

He could see that took them aback slightly,

"A bodyguard is not a servant, it is a lofted position, your king and queen's guards are not their slaves, but trusted warriors, bordering on friends. You will not give up your lives in my protection and I will take instead of the ring the gem and..."

He paused for dramatic effect, only if you knew him you would understand the gleam in his eye,

"I am very lonely, one evening with a fur-mate will settle the score nicely."

A fur-mate refers to the beds that the first draconians used, it was a straw pallet with fur as bedding. In fact he had just suggested that one or both of the girls have sex with him. He took in their expressions and laughed his strange laugh,

"The gem instead of the ring and you do not endanger yourself for my sake. That is my counter deal."
 
Back
Top