Continental Privateer (Open PM First)

The three ships were moving about a hundred miles from the South CArolina coast, the wind was a light breeze from the west that was setting them off at a crawl of three knots, but the weather was fair and the crew was set about to conduct minor repair work on the Fusiliade for the damage they suffered in their capture as Mister Allen invested in the capture of their prize. It was rumored that they sezied a whaler that was full of valuable oil that would net a pretty penny, perhaps to equal that of the Sterling the Fusiliade still had in their hold.
 
Lee was walking around since she had the free time, thinking a lot she was humming a tune that she had in her head. She didn't hear it but she had an ear for music, she always enjoyed it. And when her mother was alive she always sang. But now she had a new reason to sing, and it was the captain. He let her see things, taking a deep breath as she looked at the sea. They were rather slow on the water, but she didn't mind it.
 
As Lee was enjoying herself several sailors on the off watch were on deck enjoying their rum ration and with that sailors enjoyed to sing and dance, giving their toasts to the good captain as one began dancing with song that they made up on the moment. With no reason for him to be on deck any further Humphreys asked for Lee to accompany him back to his cabin so that they could go through all of the paper work before they reach port, "Tis best the matter be handled before reaching port." Humphreys smirked.
 
She looked at him and followed him, though the men were singing and dancing she never went. Out of protection for her so she was told. But with the character of Humphrey's she believed it. So she sat down and looked at him. "What matter are you talking about Humphrey's?" She said since she was still very new to this. A big smile on her face as she was ready to listen, to see what he had to tell her.
 
Being a captain of the ship granted many freedoms and rights but also had a great many burdens. He pulled from his desk mapping charts, a compass, sextant, and a thick roll of paper where they had to write reports including going over the action with the British frigate. "Paperwork, paperwork, paperwork," Humphreys smiled, "If there were no paper work then man fat men would be out of work!" They also had the prisoners in the brig and the secreted sterling silver, the former would be acknowledged in the reports.
 
She watched him and couldn't help but laugh happily, hearing what he said about paperwork "And here I thought being a captain on a ship just meant paying attention to the ship, crew and what ever cargo you carry. I had no idea that you had so much paperwork" she chuckled and patted his back gazing into his eyes. He was something else, he was charming and rather funny, and pretty cute to boot. She enjoyed talking to him, enjoyed listing to everything that he said. And she truly cared for him.
 
"Oh yes," Humphreys chuckled, "There's much that an honest person does not know about a true captain. He has to give everything he has including to the devil that created paper." Taking a bottle from the drawer of the desk that was of fine brandy, removed the cork, and askedif she would like a glass, pouring myself one. "Once we get to port and the crew is given their share you may stay with me, but I warn you as to this, many shady people in Boston."
 
She smiled and when he offered her a drink she nodded, and enjoyed the drink. She didn't really show displeasure in the taste because she enjoyed it. "Yes well I am not worried about Boston honestly, me and father went there. A pick pocket tried to get my purse, I actually chased him down and slapped him pretty hard" She chuckled. "So Boston is a welcomed sight because I never put my guard down"
 
"I do not have much in the way of a proper house, but I assure you, until this matter is concluded, youwill be safe and have all the amenities you can desire," pouring a drink and taking a slow sip before placing the glass on the desk surface and looked at the woman with he bright grey eyes and could not help but smile as the warm memories of their first tim came back.
 
Resting her hands on the desk and smiled at him "I maybe a woman but I am a simple woman, Ive never wanted to live in the laps of luxury I had no life under my father. I was to be married off to the man who could pay him the most. Which is why I am glad you took so much money out of the son of a bitch" She chuckled and sat back down sipping the rest of her drink.
 
"Every man gets a share and that sterling will make sure we live for quite awhile," he said smiling brightly before taking another sip from the glass, "You say your fatheris wealthy and that is true, from what I could see, but how...how could a man like him get all that Sterling from such a tiny island. Last time I recalled an island such as that doesn't gain that aount wit just sugar..." he stopped himself from saying something that would mean that her father was corrupt and performing things 'under the table.'
 
She looked at him and heard his question, but she knew all his secrets. Looking down for a moment she began to wonder what would happen if she told, but right now she didn't honestly care. "Father was never an honest man, he did a lot of illegal activity or as most call it under the table" She said and looked at him. "He took things he shouldn't have, rare collectables that were taken from there original owners. He never knew but I had people tell me all sorts of things, I had people helping me keep an eye on him"
 
"Well having all of that sterling in our hold will put a damper in his coffers," he laughed going though a list of all the provisions still onboard as well as a list of the British prisoners onboard. They would be turned over to the authorities and would likely be used in a prisoner exchange to free some of our prisoners. "Any sights you wish to see in Boston once we arrive?"
 
She thought about it and shook her head "No I don't know Boston really so it's not like I will be going to certain places, probably just stay close by or where ever" She wanted to say stay with him but didn't know how he would take that, and she didn't dare do say it on the ship. But her smile pretty much showed what she meant. Finishing her drink she put it on the desk and looked at him. "What about you?"
 
"I'm staying in my place and like I said before, you can stay with me," she said she would. "Other than that, there is nothing much we can do until this dispute is cleared off and we can go back to the sea. Mister Allen thinks of me as a pirate, but he has no proof of these unfounded implications." Taking another drink from the glass and setting it down before going through some more papers. Pursers, sailing masters, charts, the whole lot seemed to fester on his desk and he wanted to just clear the table and be rid of all of this.
 
Lee nodded and smiled at her captain, least she had a place to be. Closing her eyes for a second thinking about what they were going to and a grin seen there on her face. Thinking happily about what was going on. She looked up to him and showed she was rather interested in staying, and who knows maybe they could look around.
 
He smiled as well as he finished his drink and took out a bottle of ink and his quill and a clean piece of parchment and began drafting his rough report. Though he had lost the prizes the Sterling would more than make up for it and they did not have to wait in prize court for a verdict was made. "Are you well versed in writing?" Of course she was. Such a sophisticaed woman must be versed in writing and reading as he began to carefully write it out. "I will need you to read this report for me and tell me if everything is order." Though he wanted to go back to bed with her the risk of being so high that they would be interupted, thus it would be perfered that they wait at least until they reach Boston, but that would be weeks away and it was a grueling wait.
 
She watched him write and heard his question, putting one leg over the other as she sat back in the chair she nodded. 'Yes I am and I know three different languages as well" She said happily and knew she could help him there. Being the daughter of the governess it was actually really interesting, since she could use what she knew quickly against her father. If he decided to want to try and go get her? She knew who to call, she knew what on earth she could just enjoy the great things in life.
 
"I truely enjoy your company" he said. In truth it was to prevent anyone from hearing. He did enjoy her even more pleasurably but he hesitated to announce it as it would betray her real identity. It would not come until they reach Boston, if ever. Looking at her as she crossed her legs and took up the papers he continued writing, the scratch of the metal tip across the parchment then the dab in th ink well he continued until almost the entire page was covered. Putting the quill aside and letting the ink to dry he passed the page over to Lee for her to review, "Please ignore the mispellings for th tme being" he joked.
 
She smiled "I am glad you enjoy my company" She said happily and watching him finish, she took the paper and made sure not to smudge the ink. And began to read what he had, her Grey eyes looked at everything and she nodded. "Looks good, looks like everything is listed here" She put it right back on his desk and smiled happily. She was rather happy that this happened, meeting him was the best thing that happened in her life. That and maybe all the times she spent with her mother, since her father and herself never got along.
 
Graciously taking the paper back he reviewed the paper with his own eyes and said it would do and put it away. After going through everything else he deemed 'that would conclude everything here.' And put the papers away and moved the desk to the side to give them plenty of room in which to move. Looking at his watch, the time was late and there was no notification from the on watch thus he concluded it was time for bed. Though he wish to put himself in the same bed as Lee he still could not put himself to do it, thus, he reluctantly chose to go to the swaying hammock.
 
She could tell what he wanted to do very much, and she wanted it as well. She wanted to make love to him again, or at least cuddle. But she respected his position and didn't want his men to question him. So she stood up and stretched slipping right out of her shoes, and removed her jacket walking up to him in the hammock and was able to speak since she was right up close with him. "Well soon we will be in Boston, I know it's still what a week away? But we will have some alone time, time I want and I know you want it badly." Making sure no one could see, she managed to kiss him on the lips again. Pulling away and smiled.
 
She has a very soft, sweet kiss that made the captain smile and wrap his hands behind his head as he continued to gently sway in his hammock. It would be days before they landed in Boston, and it was a prison sentence, so it seemed, because they were making such a slow pace in the Fusiliade and coupled that with the Dolphin and Mister Allen his hunt for prizes, thus he resided in himself that he would make all due speed to Boston regardless of any other prizes. Their hold were still full of Sterling that htey did not have to go through prize courts, thus no need to risk any more attempts of being captured.
 
She smiled happily and looked at him swaying back and forth, taking a deep breath she sighed a little bit. Gazing into his eyes for a moment. She grinned happily and laid down on the bed and sighed. Closing her eyes she was in pure heaven and enjoyed the swaying of the ship and actually fell asleep.
 
At six bells Humphreys came out on deck having put on his uniform and boots in quiet. The wind was strong from the west and pushing them along at a steady ten knots. The Dolphin and her prize were approximently a hundred yards astern and to port than to them with repair parties at work patching the prize up. By their calculations they would be in port in just three days. When the sun was high enough and burned off a thin layer of mist they could see off to the west the coast. There was Virginia with several small fishing ships scooping up their nets.

It was a fine day with the clouds masking the sun and keeping us in the shade and the crew were in fine spirits that they would soon be ashore with their familes and their pockets full of coin and as captain I would have a lovely woman at my side, perhaps to be come the envy of society. Did not matter now as I spoke with Mister Tisdale. The food and water were good and there was only an inch in tehe hold that were being pumped out now. Perhaps it would be wise to refit once we were in port as well. The damage we sustained in the fights could have weakened the beams and they would burst later on.
 
Back
Top