On interior design/interior decoration...

erotica_n_s

Really Really Experienced

Yeah folks, this is an invitation to you to share your ideas on interior design/interior decoration...

For what room?

Wow, that was a quick reply, even before I made my second post!!

But yeah, for any room...

Share your ideas...

It could be something you saw in a magazine, something you saw in a furniture store, something you saw at a friend's place, in a film or TV show, whatever...

Wow, that was a quick reply, even before I made my second post!!

But yeah, for any room...

Share your ideas...

It could be something you saw in a magazine, something you saw in a furniture store, something you saw at a friend's place, in a film or TV show, whatever...

Thanks! I'll have to think about it.

Paint everything and everyone black, white, red, green, reflective silver, or polka-dot. I recently wrote of an office all mirrored, spotted with clear plexiglas furniture. Wear shades.

Last edited:
Architectural Digest magazine has zero to do with architecture -- it's all interior design. Start there. The crazies are especially fun. A US$300k kitchen range? Don't worry about money unless Ikea is your second home.

Best idea I ever heard about lighting, particularly in the kitchen: Don't light the room, light the work."

I'm not a designer of any sort, but my sister makes her living as an interior designer. All of the stuff she keeps in her head is mind boggling. However, I am taking a class this semester in Visual Rhetoric for technical communicators. I am seeing a lot of similarity between what we're learning and much of what she talks about when we kick around ideas for remodeling/redecorating my house. Things like

• Contrast & emphasis
  • Similarity
  • Rhythm
  • Proportion & balance
  • Unity & grouping
  • Movement
  • Variety
  • Negative and positive space

Here's a page that describes some of these.
http://www.j6design.com.au/6-principles-of-design/

And let's not forget Gestalt
https://www.interaction-design.org/literature/topics/gestalt-principles

It will be interesting to compare notes at Thanksgiving :)

Easy decoration.

1. Lightweight furniture, maybe inflatable, or balsa or foam.
2. A Roomba robo-vacuum with enhanced batteries.

Let (2) push (1) around into algorithmic or accidental patterns. Similarly:

1. (1) as above, smeared with attractive flavors.
2. Hungry animals released in the room.

These seem related to the Jackson Pollack school of decoration. His floors and walls have been collected as edges of noted artworks. For more focus, try:

3. Any furnishings, colorings, media, etc.
4. Lunatics fed stimulants and hallucinogens.
5. Random audio-video inspirations.

Mix until gone. I've seen much of this in 'alternative' living-working spaces. Not from a safe distance, alas. Sometimes pieces of wall or floor disappear. Oops. For safety:

7. Space, any size or shape, loaded to any extend with anything.
8. Cotton-candy spray gun.

Coat everything with soft, fluffy, resilient, sweet padding. Beware marauding rabbits.

But I digress. I like human spaces comfortably accoutered and visually stimulating. Sparse, blank rooms indicate no imagination, motel occupancy, or impending sale. An all-white room with one black chair? An interrogation chamber, not Steve Jobs' latrine. Well, that too.

I foresee a grim future. Physical decor will go obsolete. Blank human spaces will be hologram-lit via subscriptions to Chic-of-the-Week for too-slow upgrading and Flash-Fads for up-to-the-second conformity. Change your style faster than Prince discarded customized boots! (Three pairs per show, three shows daily.) VR may be there too.

Style, like art and music, is whatever can be packaged and sold. The faster, the better.

I try to also visualize what the pieces of furniture or surfaces of the room... tables, counters, floors might feel like while having sex on them. Sometimes an indecisive decision can be made by considering texture as well as visual. Be happy in the room. Picture yourself naked in it. If your smiling while you see yourself with the design, it will more than likely make you happy.

Speaking of Arch Digest, a few years ago I saw Lenny Kravitz home down in Brazil somewhere. I remember it struck me as something a tad different for that Rag. His style was a cross between African/South American but very tastefully done, with one style not overshadowing the other.

Saw another recent one of a famous actress (don’t remember who) who had a villa in Provènce who had the coolest kitchen. Rustic with huge oak table. Most of the articles are a bit over the top but you can get some good inspiration from them.

Back