Formating Questions

TarnishedPenny

Literotica Guru
Sorry if these are answered elsewhere; my search skills are more exhausted than exhaustive.

1. Is it possible to use different fonts in a story (eg a script font for a handwritten note)?

2. Is it possible to centre a block of text?

Thanks.

You can not use different fonts but you can use italics and bold.

This thread discussed what type if HTML formatting is allowed and not: http://forum.literotica.com/showthread.php?t=950833

I tried using <blockquote></blockquote> in my most recent story, but it didn't work. I thought it showed up in the preview but it isn't there in the story. Maybe that's because I nested it with <center></center> I got the centering, but not the quoted effect.

Why were you trying to use blockquote and center? That just seems like some major overkill to set something off.

I can't even quite wrap my head around what it would have looked like.

It probably was the combination of the tags, though. Laurel probably thought it was a mistake where you started to use blockquote, changed your mind to center, and forgot to remove the blockquote tags. That would have been my first thought upon seeing that combination.

I tried using <blockquote></blockquote> in my most recent story, but it didn't work. I thought it showed up in the preview but it isn't there in the story. Maybe that's because I nested it with <center></center> I got the centering, but not the quoted effect.

Got an Android tablet or phone? Look at LIT stories there using the Android app, as do maybe half of LIT readers. See any underlines, italics, boldfaces? Nope.

If you write on a WinTel machine, the Character Map app can select odd characters from the default font. Greek, Scandinavian, Cyrillic, and strange symbols are available.

Or you can write like Homer or Chaucer or DeFoe or Hemingway and merely express yourself with words and punctuation. No HTML tags needed.

You really insist on perpetuating this bogus claim, don't you?

The app is not available in the sanctioned stores, because adult apps are not allowed. Thus, any attempt to download the app presents a warning saying it may harm your device.

Should you choose to ignore that warning, the default settings of every device prevent you from installing it, once again warning you that the unsanctioned app may harm your device.

Should you choose to change those default settings, you're yet again warned that unsanctioned apps may harm your device.

There is no way that "half" or "nearly half" or "maybe half" or anything even close to that number of readers are using the app when they have to jump through all those hoops and warnings to even install it.

This outrageous and completely unsupported claim of yours helps nobody. If you want to advocate for plain text, that's fine. You're not going to get away with manufacturing something to support your position, though.

Got an Android tablet or phone? Look at LIT stories there using the Android app, as do maybe half of LIT readers. See any underlines, italics, boldfaces? Nope.

If you write on a WinTel machine, the Character Map app can select odd characters from the default font. Greek, Scandinavian, Cyrillic, and strange symbols are available.

Or you can write like Homer or Chaucer or DeFoe or Hemingway and merely express yourself with words and punctuation. No HTML tags needed.

This is a weird argument because both DeFoe and Hemingway used italics a lot.

Here's a scan from the first edition of "Robinson Crusoe". Note copious italics, and change of font for "FINIS":

16924621896_5.jpg

(And the title page is absurdly font-happy by modern standards, but perhaps that can be attributed to the publisher rather than the author.)

Hemingway's "The Snows of Kilimanjaro" (see page 45 of this PDF) uses italics repeatedly for flashbacks, sometimes over a page of italics at a time; he also uses italics here and there to emphasise individual words.

Chaucer, of course, predated the printing press, but early manuscripts make plenty of use of fancy lettering, to say nothing of the elaborate borders and illustrations.

This is from the first printed edition (by Caxton) of The Canterbury Tales.

caxtonschaucer-tl.jpg

Illustrated, no less!

Why were you trying to use blockquote and center? That just seems like some major overkill to set something off.

I was using blockquote to avoid the extra <br> that the site inserts at line breaks. I wanted the text (quoted from an invitation) to be centered and single spaced. It worked fine and looked like I wanted it to look in html and in the preview.

It's not quite the same effect, but I have successfully used <hr/> tags to set off a section of text from the rest of the story.

Just manually insert the <br /> tags after the end of single-spaced lines, then point them out in the "Notes" section. I've used that before.

I was using blockquote to avoid the extra <br> that the site inserts at line breaks. I wanted the text (quoted from an invitation) to be centered and single spaced. It worked fine and looked like I wanted it to look in html and in the preview.

Back