The AH Coffee Shop and Reading Room 02: A Comma (is a Restful Pause)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm on my second cup of coffee. Breakfast this morning was two ripe peaches from my friends' tree.

It looks like Harvey is sending some moisture west, so come Monday or so we might even get a little of TxRad's rain. Very little.

Whole grain pancakes sound good but I'm on a low fiber diet for the next week (colonoscopy coming Thursday) so this morning is an avocado taco . . . and more coffee. Friday morning, though, look out!

Yes, coffee sounds good. Pancakes sound good.

Lots of tornadoes warnings in the outer rain bands. four verified on the ground in southwest Houston. 50 mph winds at the seawall in Galveston. !!0 mph winds south of San Antonio. Tons of rain all along the coast.

Highway flooding is already starting all along the coast.

This storm is predicted to wander around like a lost tourist.

Crap. I have family in Houston. I love him but he's frequently uncommunicative.

Walked a mile down a gorge, hurt my ankle slightly and walked a mile back up. :rolleyes: Good times.

Hope everyone is well. :rose:

Evening all.

Been wet today but fairly mild. It has rained off and on all day. Some of it fairly heavy. I've emptied my rain gauge twice. Total of around eight inches of rain. Most of it was from one feeder band that came over during the afternoon. There is another on the way but is still across the lake.

Houston has gotten a ton of rain but is only now starting to have flooding problems. Most of the creeks and bayous are starting to get out of their banks. Three major training rain bands have gone through today with rain amounts of 3-5 inches per hour.

Six to eight confirmed tornadoes have hit Houston proper. One damaged more than 50 homes. We've been lucky so far, one dead from a house fire and only a few minor injuries.

Another four to six days of the same thing is possible.

Fresh coffee for the morning crew.

Evening all.

Been wet today but fairly mild. It has rained off and on all day. Some of it fairly heavy. I've emptied my rain gauge twice. Total of around eight inches of rain. Most of it was from one feeder band that came over during the afternoon. There is another on the way but is still across the lake.

Houston has gotten a ton of rain but is only now starting to have flooding problems. Most of the creeks and bayous are starting to get out of their banks. Three major training rain bands have gone through today with rain amounts of 3-5 inches per hour.

Six to eight confirmed tornadoes have hit Houston proper. One damaged more than 50 homes. We've been lucky so far, one dead from a house fire and only a few minor injuries.

Another four to six days of the same thing is possible.

Fresh coffee for the morning crew.

Wishes for safety and good health to you and yours Tx. Stay well

All this weather talk is making me thirst for some coffee.
This is not too much of a problem - IF I can remember the code for the 'Anti-Hurricane Store' so I can retrieve the kettle.
I think I'll acquire another and brew up.
Safe lives to those affected.

Ah- it's boiling.
Coffee, anyone ?

I could complain about my worsening vision -- more eye surgery soon.
I could complain about the continuing heat wave in Northern California.
I could complain about noisy fucking neighbor dogs still howling at 0200 hours.
I could complain (again) about bears and garbage and pumas and moles.

But my home and life and family aren't threated by flood or fire, so I really have little to complain about.

How much of Houston's industrial base will wash away in the next few days?

All this weather talk is making me thirst for some coffee.
This is not too much of a problem - IF I can remember the code for the 'Anti-Hurricane Store' so I can retrieve the kettle.
I think I'll acquire another and brew up.
Safe lives to those affected.

Ah- it's boiling.
Coffee, anyone ?

Got the mugs right here. We can send Tex his via Fed-Ex - they always deliver

All joking aside, keep your head down Tex, it looks really bad on the news this morning. :eek: - all the best to everyone down there

Hurricane-Coffee.jpg

Last edited:
Good morning. :rose:

Thinking of you, Tx, and hoping for the best.

My brother in Houston lives in a building that I believe is actually a desgnated shelter of some kind. With all the flooding they have suffered in recent years, he has never been affected, so I'm hoping that will hold.

A peaceful morning to all.

Thanks for the well wishes guys but I'm on high ground north of Houston. Zeb is one of the ones I'm worried about. Last I heard from him he was in south Houston or at least working around NASA.

At 7AM the report was 13 inches in the northern part of town to over 20 inches in the south. That's averages for total rain in less than 24 hours. Large sections of south Houston are under water, as much as ten feet along some of the creeks and bayous. It is still raining and the rain is still streaming in. Several areas have had solid rain (2-5 inches an hour) since six o'clock last night.

Wide spread flooding and several areas are requesting boats of any kind for evacuating people.

Coffee and more coffee. It is going to be a long day.

Thanks for the well wishes guys but I'm on high ground north of Houston. Zeb is one of the ones I'm worried about. Last I heard from him he was in south Houston or at least working around NASA.

Coffee and more coffee. It is going to be a long day.

Well wishes and thoughts of safety for Zeb and all other Texas Litsters. May your high ground continue to be high ground - Tx.

Zeb just posted on the Listening thread.

It has been raining here soild since 5AM. the front ditch has a foot of water in it and there's an inch of water across the front yard but it's all running into the creek next door.

Not dry but still high. Hmmmm, that didn't sound right but....

Zeb just posted on the Listening thread.

It has been raining here soild since 5AM. the front ditch has a foot of water in it and there's an inch of water across the front yard but it's all running into the creek next door.

Not dry but still high. Hmmmm, that didn't sound right but....

:D While the other might be fun, personally, I'd want to keep all my faculties about me. :kiss:

Fingers crossed, chaps & chapesses.

Me? I'm enjoying my evening coffee brew.
And we ain't had rain so far (it's a Bank Holiday weekend here; it normally rains!)

I wonder if or how I can get one of those hurricane coffee mugs ?

According to the Nation Weather Service, an estimated 14 billion gallons of water has fallen on Harris County in the last 24 hours. :eek: Holy Shit!

Measured rain totals run from 6-8 inches up to 20-25+ inches of rain over the last 24 hours. There are boat rescues going on all over the city. More streets and roads are flooded than passable. Even major freeways and highways are under water. And it is still raining. The mayor has put out a call to anyone with a jon boat to please come help move people out of flooded homes. We sent 16 boats from this area down that way earlier today.

There is no way to drive from one end of the city to another.

Measured rain totals run from 6-8 inches up to 20-25+ inches of rain over the last 24 hours

According to our local weather service page, that 25 inches in 24 hours is 1.5 times the highest *annual* rainfall ever recorded here. If we were to get that kind of rainfall on our rugged and barren terrain, then the flash flooding would be devastating.

The GOES satellite makes it look like the heaviest rains have moved into Louisiana.

And now it's time for tea and a few thoughts & Prayers for those affected.

Anyone else want a cup ?

According to our local weather service page, that 25 inches in 24 hours is 1.5 times the highest *annual* rainfall ever recorded here. If we were to get that kind of rainfall on our rugged and barren terrain, then the flash flooding would be devastating.

The GOES satellite makes it look like the heaviest rains have moved into Louisiana.

Yesterday afternoon, my rain gauge recorded twice the average monthly rain total for the whole month of August here and I've had at le4ast twice as much as that since. I have no idea as the rain gauge has ran over three different times.

Yeah, the storm center is moving south and east. As it does the heavier rain bands move farther east but the rain is still falling in Houston just at a lesser rate.

The next problem is what happens if it goes back offshore for a half day or so? That is the last forecast i saw and then it's supposed to turn north right across houston with an increased ability to draw more water in from the Gulf. It ain't over by a long shot.

According to the Nation Weather Service, an estimated 14 billion gallons of water has fallen on Harris County in the last 24 hours. :eek: Holy Shit!

Measured rain totals run from 6-8 inches up to 20-25+ inches of rain over the last 24 hours. There are boat rescues going on all over the city. More streets and roads are flooded than passable. Even major freeways and highways are under water. And it is still raining. The mayor has put out a call to anyone with a jon boat to please come help move people out of flooded homes. We sent 16 boats from this area down that way earlier today.

There is no way to drive from one end of the city to another.

I can't fathom this much water. Is there even that much water in all of southern California?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back