Saving the World

I don't recall if I said 'goodnight' in response, but i did remember seeing the cot and flopping down upon the stretched fabric and going immediately to sleep. The whole world was darkness and I don't remember anything that occured in the dream, but it didn't matter as I was now, finally, able to sleep peacefully without any form of interuption.

The lights were turned off to allow us to sleep in this area as well as conserve some energy and when I woke, some time later, the entire room was pitch dark. Holding up my wrist to my face, and smacking myself in the abyss and pressing the illumination light the clock read 0412. How long was I out? Shaking my head and tossing and turning upon the cot there was the creek of metal stressing under the weight, but eventually, it became impossible to go back to sleep, and the only thing I could do now was go back to the lab.

Fumbling for the door and going out into the hall it was dimly lit and I shuffled the whole way there trying to find the place, all the while coming upon sleeping people along the walls. Jax's soldiers were sound asleep, but I couldn't find Jax, anyway, she must be asleep herself. Figured it would be better to leave her there.

Reaching the lab and stepping inside and sitting down I went right back to work, shaking the cobwebs out of my head and feeling the renewed energy flowing through me as the sleep had its desired effects. Putting my eye back to the microscope and gently sliding the samples in the dishes across, hmmm, not much change, but then again.....
 
Jax awoke to the sound of a door opening. She like every other soldier opened one eye and when she saw it was her charge she silently grumbled and wiped the crust from her eyes as the others sighed in relief and went back to sleep. Jax glanced at her watch, a heavy duty military issue that could withstand extreme heat/cold, and not break, and almost died as she saw the time. 2 hours. He had slept 2 hours! He had literally taken a nap.

Jax needed to pee, but her charge was still walking down the hall. Hell, he wasn't going to get hurt. Even still the 4 minutes it took her to do her womanly duties she felt guilty and paranoid as all hell. By the time she returned to him she was out of breath and a little annoyed from lack of sleep. She walked right up to him and tapped him on the shoulder.

"What are you doing? I said sleep, not nap. You're not doing any good with a power nap. Come on!"

Jax didn't care what he was working on. She hated to do it, but she pulled the scope away from him and set it down. Than she took his hand and held it firmly as she marched back down the hall. She knew the soldiers were watching, even though to a passerby they all seemed sleep, and she did her best to keep her head high instead of embarrassed. She reached Lyon's room and pushed him inside. This time she entered behind him and leaned against the wall.

"Bed"

She ordered and slid down the length of the door and curled up. "I'm not moving for another 5 hours. I suggest you get that sleeping." Jax looked at her watch and confirmed the time.
 
"Yes, mom" grumbling. It was the lack of sleep and now it was catching up and seeing the empty cot there before me all of the last energy dropplets were instantly sapped from me and down I went, flopping onto the cot, forgetting about everything else. It didn't seem like a two hour nap before but now I was dreaming and didn't want to wake back up.

There were many things floating through my mind as to what was happening around me and in my dreams, I guess you could say that it was all flowing together at once. The biggest concern being the cure, of course, but also the worry about our situation inside the facility that there were many scenarios that kept popping up, such as what if people on the outside found us and wanted in and they weren't friendly? The military, and Jax, sure they could defend us, but they weren't invincible eventually they would fold, but what would happen? We were this close to a cure and if someone broke in and wrecked our lab then everything would be for nothing and the world would end up dying all because some people on the outside were hungry.

I didn't know what time it was when I finally woke up and tossed about on the cot, staring up at the dark celing. It was quiet inside my room except for the roll of someone else off in the corner that I could not see and the breathing of another. It was very strange as I felt in the wrong place, but sat up and looked about as my eyes adjusted and realized I was still in my room.
 
Jax didn't find his comment funny, but she didn't care. She watched him go to the bed and fall asleep. She went a dark corner, found some blanket, and laid down to get some sleep herself. She would wake up intermittently making sure he didn't try to sneak out, but it seemed he was fast asleep and she didn't have to worry. Jax still stayed half asleep throughout the night making sure nothing happened to her charge during the night.

The events played through her head and she finally had to shut everything out. She was just starting to drift into deep sleep when she realized the even breathing she had come to know had changed. He was awake. Jax made sure to keep her breathing even as she waited not sure if he was going to go back to sleep or wake completely up. She opened her eyes and saw him sitting him. She inwardly sighed and breathed deeply to alert him that she was awake and so she wouldn't scare him.

A knock on the door almost had her jump. She turned on a side lamp and motioned for Lyon to stay back as she answered the door. She saw Lee and could tell from his eyes it wasn't good. She stepped out and closed the door. When she did she glanced down the hall and saw there was considerably less soldiers. "Please tell me their all in the chow hall with their charges?"

Lee shook his head. "Most of the soldiers are gone. Almost all but 5 of the scientists are here."

"How many soldiers do we have left?" Jax asked.

"20, but their's talk of leaving too."

Jax nodded and returned inside. She sat down on the cot next to Lyon without thinking of the proximity and sighed. Her first role as Commanding Officer and half the crew leaves in the dark. No wonder brass never given her a commanding role before. She obviously couldn't inspire shit.
 
My eyes opened and fluttered for a moment and when Jax turned on the side lamp my pupils shrank and turned my head away to shield it from teh intensity before the eyes adjusted. She went over to the door and spoke for a few moments before coming back and sitting down right beside me. Turning over to fae her I asked, in a whisper, 'What's up?" I didn't know what time it was, the room was illuminated only by the small lamp that was intensely hot around the metal cowling that when I reached out to adjust it the tips of my fingers were sizzling.

She had that troubled look on her face that only said that something bad had happened. It couldn't have been an attack or else she would be out there but there ws someething else going on.

throwing my legs over the side and sitting up and running both hands over my head to smooth outhe hair and leaning forward slightly to get the strain out of my spine I asked, "What's going on? Is everything alright?"

Just down the hall Eve heard the footsteps and was away and sitting on her cot, curled up with her blanket. She was told, by her guard, to stay in her room until her guard or Jax came by to say it was safe to come out because Jax wanted the scientists to be under lock and key to preent any more desertions, but she was scared to be on her own and being surrounded by intimidating men.
 
Last edited:
Jax looked at Lyon with a blank look. How did she explain any of this? She had already given people the opportunity to leave and expected this group to stay. She hadn't been expecting this and these turn of events had really thrown her for a loop. Jax couldn't fathom what the next to be was. She wasn't even sure if there was a next step. She just wished she had inspired people to stay and do their jobs; save the world. Basically that's what this mission was now. A save the world mission.

Jax looked back at Lyon as he repeated his question. "Come on. I'm calling antoher meeting." She stood up and ushered Lyon into the custody of another soldier as she spread word throughout the soldiers that she was calling an emergency meeting.

Soon Jax was standing in the same banquet room as before staring at even less people. She sighed as everyone took in everyone else and knew they had been abandon by their peers once again. Jax hadn't said a word as she let this information sink in. One soldier stepped forward, "We have been found. The outside world has been told of our location and should be here in 48 hours if not sooner. I think that's why people have left."

Jax nodded. "We can only assume that the mob is going to break in. Once they do they will probably torture and kill us all. I understand you are all afraid. We must find the cure and now our deadline is even shorter. I'm going to barricade the exits by exploading the surroundings around the door so not only do we have the steel doors, but we also have a huge rock mass they must get through before getting in. That should buy us some time. Once in you can't get out. So I say again. If you're leaving you must leave now. There's no delay."

Jax walked away from the group hearing the rumbles as she went into the secret part of the armory and took out two timed mines. She watched as just about everyone walked out the door. Jax looked at a crying Eve as she took one last look back and then ran out of the doors into the dark. Her soldier following behind. Jax wondered what had transpired between those too as it seemed he cared for her deeply, but she had to push that thought away. Jax closed the doors once more and ushered everyone deeper inside.

The mines went off, the electricity flickered, the sound was almost too loud and it repeated itself at every entrance. Jax turned back to see the few people and the even less guards. She knew they were waiting for her to say something. "Let's get to work. We don't have much time."
 
Forty eight hours was not a lot of time and we, as scientists didn't like to be rushed to get answers, but that was all we had in order to get the results needed or else, well, we would be usefulness. if the mob did break in, chances were, they would kill me and use Jax and Eve as their fuck dolls and i didn't want that.

Hearing the rumble and shake as the mines went off Eve turned to me wondering what we could do. There were only five of us left and summoning all of us together we had to put everything on the fast track. we were close all we needed now was to plug the holes in the formula and find a way to mass produce the serum that would stop and possibly reverse what that pesticide had been doing to the land and to the people.

In our lab, watched over by what few guards were left I was drawing on a dry erase board trying to find the missing elements as Eve kept doing the same at her station. Sometime during the day Eve wondered over, “Do you like her?” she asked in a whisper.

“Who?” I asked turning to her.

“Jax.”

“Well, yeah, I mean, she’s watching over us.”

“I don’t think I like her.” She replied ina rather forceful way. As she spoke her thin arms were crossed over her chest in a rather pouting expression.

“Why?”

“Well, I don’t like the way she acts or…” she began to trail off and turned away to avoid finishing it.
“What? Because she’s black or something?”
“Yeah.” Finally coming out with it.

“So what? So, she’s black, so what?”

Turning away from me Eve was furious and just threw up her hands, “Why not just go fuck her or something” before stomping away.

Now was not the time to be playing favorites but Eve was clearly losing it. She was really going to use this at a moment when we were supposed to be working together? Jax and the others were nervous, we had been pegged and now we were being closed in upon. I didn't know what else to do except to work and get the cure out before the doors came down and people came in with their pitchforks and torches to kill us all. Everyone was desperate, we had perhaps the last amount of pure food and water left in the world and we were hoarding it for ourselves but the fact that they would resort to killing to get to it was out of the question for us, especially if they had to get Jax and Eve. We, Eve, myself, and the scientists, were not armed, we relied solely on our guards but with only two days left I didn't have time to go and ask any of them to train us in self-defense, we barely had time to use the bathroom anymore.
 
Back
Top