How to carry your Colt 1911 semi-auto pistol

Best stance / instructions on how to shoot better when you are cross eyed dominance. What that means is if you are right handed but you stronger eye is your left eye. You now have to change your stance or tilt your head or something different...

Anyone else ?

I agree with the previous poster about the weaver stance. I'm right handed but left eye dominate. My instructor told me to put my head closer to my right arm (versus standing with it squarely between both equally). There are a lot of good articles on cross dominance in shooting on Pintrest.

I agree with the previous poster about the weaver stance. I'm right handed but left eye dominate. My instructor told me to put my head closer to my right arm (versus standing with it squarely between both equally). There are a lot of good articles on cross dominance in shooting on Pintrest.

Im the opposite (lefty & right eyed dominant) and I too do the weaver stance but instead of my left foot being forward I use my right foot...

Just a quick question for those who carry a firearm. In particular a 1911. I inherited one from my late grandfather. I was told by a friend I was carrying it wrong. Here is how I carry the pistol in the holster. Mag inserted, round chambered, hammer down. I was told it should be mag inserted, round chambered, hammer cocked, and safety on. Which way in your opinion is safer or more preferred?

Is it a Series 80? If not it's not very safe to carry period. Carrying cocked and locked, which is what your friend suggested, is even less safe.

tbh I wouldn't carry a 1911 period. And I wouldn't carry a gun that has sentimental value to you. If you do ever have to defend yourself, the police will confiscate your gun, and they will let it rust to pieces in an evidence locker if they don't straight up steal parts off it.

If you want to carry a gun, just get a single stack 9mm. You'll get the same capacity in a smaller gun that's cheaper and much easier to replace than a vintage gun that used to belong to a family member.

Odd question on an adult orientated forum but what the heck right? I probably would not carry a 1911 regardless of its pedigree. I'd be more inclined to carry a Glock in either 9 mm or .40 caliber. Glocks seem to be well made, reliable, and safe to carry with a loaded magazine. I probably would not carry it with a round in the chamber though. You could also carry a revolver and only load five with the hammer resting on the empty chamber. I'm from an expert. There are those who frequent the shooting forums who could better advise you. Either way good luck bro.

California

Odd question on an adult orientated forum but what the heck right? I probably would not carry a 1911 regardless of its pedigree. I'd be more inclined to carry a Glock in either 9 mm or .40 caliber. Glocks seem to be well made, reliable, and safe to carry with a loaded magazine. I probably would not carry it with a round in the chamber though. You could also carry a revolver and only load five with the hammer resting on the empty chamber. I'm from an expert. There are those who frequent the shooting forums who could better advise you. Either way good luck bro.

Yes, I agree odd thread on LIT.

More curious to know about the laws in CA being the toughest in the country. Isnt it almost impossible to carry a gun in CA?

Without a valid permit it would be illegal. CCW licenses are issued by a county sheriff or the chief of the police.

Without a valid permit it would be illegal. CCW licenses are issued by a county sheriff or the chief of the police.

how difficult is it to get those licenses? In NY you practically need to be a politician to get one. Its almost impossible.

CCW is issued per county by city p.d. or county sheriff. There is the 'good cause' argument. Some counties are 'looser' than others with the regulations. It's basically impossible for private citizizens in much of the state. In particular high density wealthy areas of the Bay area and LA. It's easier in rural counties. It is also a misdemeanor rather than a felony to carry without a permit. Unless you are law enforcement or retired I would not even try.

Wow!
The only thing I personally agree with in this statement is to inquire on a gun site.
I'm a bit of a gun nut; the CZ in my username is a result of CZ Pistols (Ceska zbrojovka) that I'm very fond of.
The High Road is an excellent forum and best to get a broad range of opinions - a dedicated 1911 or Glock forum will naturally have some bias.
https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php

Speaking of bias, I am NOT a Glock fan and cannot comprehend how anyone can think that a Glock is safer than a 1911 - Glock only has a passive safety and a stock trigger pull of ~ 6-1/2 lbs compared to a 1911 with both a passive safety of the grip safety and an active safety of the thumb safety and a slightly less trigger pull of 4-1/2 lbs.

Note: I am very much a fan of the .40SW cartridge; a CZ40B is my 'Go To' home defense pistol - However, just Google 'Glock 40 Kabooms' and decide if you still think the Glock is a 'Safe' pistol...
The reason Glocks are so 'reliable' is because they have a 'loose' chamber that helps prevent Failures to Load but at the expense of case bulging that can be very dangerous with the high-pressure loads of the .40

https://search.yahoo.com/search;_yl...=sa-gp-search&fr=mcafee&type=C211US0D20160323

Regarding a round in the chamber: that's a personally preference and there are many arguments that best to keep the chamber loaded IF the intent of the gun is for self-defense, especially a carry gun - if you ever have to draw on someone adding the added action of having to rack a slide is adding many potential problems and obstacles.

Revolver with Hammer down on an empty chamber: I hope you're aware that when either pull the trigger or cock the hammer the cylinder will rotate and thus move to the next round in the cylinder - I don't understand what is accomplished by having the hammer down on a empty tube with a modern revolver.

Best

Last edited:
I suggest you carry it with the mag in, round chambered, safety off, hold gun to head and pull trigger

Just a quick question for those who carry a firearm. In particular a 1911. I inherited one from my late grandfather. I was told by a friend I was carrying it wrong. Here is how I carry the pistol in the holster. Mag inserted, round chambered, hammer down. I was told it should be mag inserted, round chambered, hammer cocked, and safety on. Which way in your opinion is safer or more preferred?

I had a friend who was in the Navy, and I think he said they carried the 1911 on duty when tied up to the pier in foreign ports. He said you pulled the hammer back one click, otherwise it could potentially fire if struck, though that was very unlikely. Isn't this the one that has the grip you have to actually be holding to allow the gun to fire?

So much fail by so many armchair experts with zero actual range or trigger time.

Among other things, I am an NRA certified instructor. I teach people how to SAFELY handle guns. I also certify CCW permit applicants to my County Sheriff for permit qualification/issue. Yes, take a NRA basic pistol course or equivalent before you do anything else. Information from someone hands-on is better than asking on an internet forum about anything.

Cocked and locked is the ONLY way to carry a 1911. The arm is designed to be carried with the hammer back and safety on. In any other condition, it's a paperweight or hammer. Does it look scary that way? Damn straight. It's a gun, not a plush toy. It's supposed to look (and be) scary. Look at the fear and horror factor in some of the posts in this thread at the mere mention of one.

Vintage firearms should be treated with respect. Some modern ammo can be rated at pressures which exceed the safe chamber pressures for vintage arms. However, standard pressure ammo is perfectly fine to use in a vintage 1911 as long as the arm is in otherwise functional and safe condition for use. If you don't know or are unsure, have a certified gunsmith check it out and let you know the real condition and whether it's safe to use. If it needs work to be safe and you want to use it, pay the man. Do it promptly and happily because his work could save your life.

A gun in a lockbox at home is of no use in an emergency. However, COPS love it when you leave your guns locked up and then get killed. maimed, raped, or robbed. It gives them something to do besides chase parked cars. I'd recommend you take some training and get a LOT of range time behind you even if you don't carry it daily. Familiarity with your tools makes any man a expert over a know nothing amateur.

G-string carry - hmmm.... Today's mousegun sized 1911's with a lightweight aluminum or scandium frame should be quite suitable. Kimber's Sapphire comes to mind as one potential candidate. You should post pics. :D

Brits: This ain't the UK. Guns are WHY this ain't the UK. Or Japan. Or Germany. Or France. Or, well you get the picture. Hopefully before Syria and Iran overrun your country and take it away from you.

In closing I want to say that I have taken many people who were against guns to the range. Not all of them have become gun owners, but all of them have more respect and knowledge of what guns can do when used properly. None of them talk or think about guns the way they used to. Perhaps those who are so horrified in this thread over jsut the mention of guns should think about that a little bit. Knowledge is never a bad thing.

So much fail by so many armchair experts with zero actual range or trigger time.

Among other things, I am an NRA certified instructor. I teach people how to SAFELY handle guns. I also certify CCW permit applicants to my County Sheriff for permit qualification/issue. Yes, take a NRA basic pistol course or equivalent before you do anything else. Information from someone hands-on is better than asking on an internet forum about anything.

Cocked and locked is the ONLY way to carry a 1911. The arm is designed to be carried with the hammer back and safety on. In any other condition, it's a paperweight or hammer. Does it look scary that way? Damn straight. It's a gun, not a plush toy. It's supposed to look (and be) scary. Look at the fear and horror factor in some of the posts in this thread at the mere mention of one.

Vintage firearms should be treated with respect. Some modern ammo can be rated at pressures which exceed the safe chamber pressures for vintage arms. However, standard pressure ammo is perfectly fine to use in a vintage 1911 as long as the arm is in otherwise functional and safe condition for use. If you don't know or are unsure, have a certified gunsmith check it out and let you know the real condition and whether it's safe to use. If it needs work to be safe and you want to use it, pay the man. Do it promptly and happily because his work could save your life.

A gun in a lockbox at home is of no use in an emergency. However, COPS love it when you leave your guns locked up and then get killed. maimed, raped, or robbed. It gives them something to do besides chase parked cars. I'd recommend you take some training and get a LOT of range time behind you even if you don't carry it daily. Familiarity with your tools makes any man a expert over a know nothing amateur.

G-string carry - hmmm.... Today's mousegun sized 1911's with a lightweight aluminum or scandium frame should be quite suitable. Kimber's Sapphire comes to mind as one potential candidate. You should post pics. :D

Brits: This ain't the UK. Guns are WHY this ain't the UK. Or Japan. Or Germany. Or France. Or, well you get the picture. Hopefully before Syria and Iran overrun your country and take it away from you.

In closing I want to say that I have taken many people who were against guns to the range. Not all of them have become gun owners, but all of them have more respect and knowledge of what guns can do when used properly. None of them talk or think about guns the way they used to. Perhaps those who are so horrified in this thread over jsut the mention of guns should think about that a little bit. Knowledge is never a bad thing.

Nailed it!

What is a "certified gunsmith"?

A certified gunsmith is an armorer who has taken classes and has been tested on his knowledge of the arms he works on.

It's sort of like being Microsoft certified. Or an ASA certified mechanic. I would prefer a newbie to go to a certified 'smith over a non-certified 'smith because there are a LOT of 1911's "repair guys" out there who turn functional pistols into expensive dangerous timebombs.

I say no thank you to that. Take your 1911 to a pistolsmith that knows what the heck he's doing.

A certified gunsmith is an armorer who has taken classes and has been tested on his knowledge of the arms he works on.

It's sort of like being Microsoft certified. Or an ASA certified mechanic. I would prefer a newbie to go to a certified 'smith over a non-certified 'smith because there are a LOT of 1911's "repair guys" out there who turn functional pistols into expensive dangerous timebombs.

I say no thank you to that. Take your 1911 to a pistolsmith that knows what the heck he's doing.

So...I haven't interacted with you a lot on the forums, but this right here? Yeah it's enough to make me be naturally friendly inclined.

As to the question, I prefer a hip or thigh carry myself. But then again, I also am a slightly taller and more broadly built individual, so that comes a little easier. Granted, I also belong to the 9mm cult, so what do I know right? ;)

Nine Mike Mike bounces of windshields, dude. :D

The last time I had a confrontation with a windshield a little bit of windex and a paper towel solved the whole situation. :D

IMO, unless you're a cop, you don't NEED to be shooting out anyone's windshield. If you got time to stand there, take aim, and fire as many shots as you can at a car coming at you, you got more than enough time to get the hell out of the way.

I like 9mm. It's fast, deadly, and just as capable as .40 or .45 in most situations. I don't know if I would say it's comparable to 10mm, but the other calibers aren't "better". Just different in capability.

The last time I had a confrontation with a windshield a little bit of windex and a paper towel solved the whole situation. :D

IMO, unless you're a cop, you don't NEED to be shooting out anyone's windshield. If you got time to stand there, take aim, and fire as many shots as you can at a car coming at you, you got more than enough time to get the hell out of the way.

I like 9mm. It's fast, deadly, and just as capable as .40 or .45 in most situations. I don't know if I would say it's comparable to 10mm, but the other calibers aren't "better". Just different in capability.

Remarking on what one NEEDs is a slippery slope in my opinion. Granted, the vast majority of the time you may be correct...but what of that minority? (and don't get me started on cops and their level of shooting, the only thing most of them NEED to do is spend more time on the range)

Aw, c'mon, let's have another "9 vs .45" debate...lol. If you can ignore the extra cost, I think .357Sig is impressive in some ways.

I think it really comes down to shoot what is most comfortable to you, and learn to do it well. Some like having a 9, .40 and .45, just like you say, different in capability, not "better".

Before I moved into the Sig 229, I carried a full size 1911. Full mag, one in the chamber, safety engaged with the hammer back in a kydex holster. It is completely safe carried in that manner. You need to perform three actions to make that go bang. A solid grip to disengage the beaver tail safety, thumb disengages the manual safety and then a trigger pull. Only do two of three and it will not shoot. The nay sayers who claim this is weapon or the condition it should be carried in is dangerous are most likely people who only have firearm experience from what they see in movies.

Nine Mike Mike bounces of windshields, dude. :D

Mostly what HisArpy said. I also use 9mm because I can't count on someone not being stupid and using cover. Which means over penetration becomes an issue with some of the other calibers. Additionally, while I own my own home, it is a small house that was bought for the surrounding property rather than home size. Which means my 9mm's smaller rate of over penetration is going to be even more critical.

For windshields I have my Mosin, or my 12 Guage firing slugs. It's a pump action Mossberg 500.

Mostly what HisArpy said. I also use 9mm because I can't count on someone not being stupid and using cover. Which means over penetration becomes an issue with some of the other calibers. Additionally, while I own my own home, it is a small house that was bought for the surrounding property rather than home size. Which means my 9mm's smaller rate of over penetration is going to be even more critical.

For windshields I have my Mosin, or my 12 Guage firing slugs. It's a pump action Mossberg 500.

The thing about any caliber is that you have to tailor your ammo to what you're shooting it out of AND what you want in the way of performance.

For instance, I have a few nice 9mm's with 3" barrels. In order to make them effective for defensive use, I load them with Corbon DPX +P in 115 gr.

Why?

Because +P in a short barrel still gives me enough energy for good penetration but not so much that it over penetrates. According to tests, 9mm+P Corbon DPX penetrates about 8-10 inches from a 3 inch barrel. 8-10 inches means that the bullet stops inside the target and all the energy is transferred to the target. No overpenetration and a hell of a wallop with no fragmentation issues.

It's different with .45. Instead of light and fast you want heavy and slow. That means sub sonic in something around a 230 gr. hollow point for most applications. You'll lose a bit of energy from commander and compact length barrels, but you'll still have good penetration yet should not overpenetrate. Check the performance data and ballistics information of whatever brand ammo you carry, they can vary a lot by mfg. It's that 8-10 inch penetration depth that's important, so go up to +P for short barrels if your arm can handle the pressures.

If you carry, you have to think about what you're carrying and what you need it to do. That includes ammo. One size does NOT fit all.

My uncle left us a couple of guns. I think one is a WWII era .45 and I'm not sure about the other. They are kept in the safe and heirlooms. I don't know where the op is from but here in California the laws concerning concealed carry are very strict. If I am not mistaken a county sheriff has to issue and you are most likely to get one in the rural counties rather than highly populated areas. A friend of mine takes his 9 mm everywhere but then he is in The Bay area so who knows?

I know I have said this before but is is true.

If you can't hit what you shoot at it doesn't matter what caliber firearm you use.

If you get in trouble and HAVE to use a gun you are not going to have time to put a clip load down range and hope you hit the right person in a way that stops them from committing harm.

You might be up against some jackass whom has a natural talent with firearms and nail a dime in the air at twenty feet without much effort or thought.

Not the time to have to remember if your gun is loaded and how do I get the safety off and where was it again? Now am I supposed to line the top of the back sights with the top of the front sight or does the the top of front sight go into the bottom of the rear sight?

Hey!
Saint Peter, Do you how this crazy thing is supposed to work?:confused:

Back